Advertising on P2P?

Wessan

Well, I cannot remember the last time I saw an advertisement while playing Runescape; however, recently while loading the game, Runescape has decided that my status as a member is in question until I log in.

I have gotten this screen before logging in for the past 2 days:

login.jpg

Anyone else?

wessan.png

I haven't seen an ad anywhere since 2008 on my own computer. Firefox + AdBlock Plus = problem solved.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

That appears to happen because RuneScape no longer "remembers" that a P2p account last logged in, and therefore opens the F2p login screen by default. After you log in you're recognised as P2p and the advertisements disappear.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

maybe you deleted your cache or you go to f2p accounts to? maybe it is just jagex ands get solved in a few days/weeks. And I agree with the others, instal an adblocker they are great.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Also if you click in the black space around the ad and hold "ctrl" while scrolling down, you can shrink the ad so it doesn't take up as much space.

I think it actually may be Google Chrome because it's also not remembering me signing into Tip.It. I have been signing in every time I open the internet lately.

I doubt it, since I've had the same problem using a different browser. Your having to sign onto Tip.It every single time can be due to a change we recently made to increase security. If you log in at a different location, your old session is terminated.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

I think it actually may be Google Chrome because it's also not remembering me signing into Tip.It. I have been signing in every time I open the internet lately.

That is most likely because if you sign in on an other computer tip.it logs you off on the first computer (this is new and for security reasons)

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Wessan, in regard to the RuneScape Game Page, it's worse than that. Jagex recently decided to make all players view adverts until they've logged in, regardless of whether they're F2P or P2P. Your only choice to off it is to block it and/or deinstall flash (which I suspect isn't an option for you) from your computer, sorry. :(

As for your Tip.It Login Problems, read this thread about "Log-in changes?" here on the Tip.It Forums to get your answer as to why your auto-login isn't holding anymore. Don't ya just hate being ninja'd? :ph34r:

~D. V. "I hate to say it, but you're outta luck. Sorry!" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

If you clear your cookies, Jagex will show you the adverts until you log in because they are not sure if you are a member. One way to avoid this is to log in through the main page before logging into the game.

You can log out any time you like, but you can never leave.

I get the ad at the top of the page even though I'm a member but I think it's because I play on about 3 different comps at 3 different places and every time I go onto the RS website it comes up with the little video clip with the big play button, I hit that and go straight to the 'game page' with that ad but it doesn't remove it once you log in.

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

That appears to happen because RuneScape no longer "remembers" that a P2p account last logged in, and therefore opens the F2p login screen by default. After you log in you're recognised as P2p and the advertisements disappear.

That's not the case as I don't get the ad when I last logged in with my p2p account.

I get the ad at the top of the page even though I'm a member but I think it's because I play on about 3 different comps at 3 different places and every time I go onto the RS website it comes up with the little video clip with the big play button, I hit that and go straight to the 'game page' with that ad but it doesn't remove it once you log in.

It seems like your browser doesn't allow cookies.

[404] Signature not found.

I honestly can't tell what browser you're using - but remember that the most standard browser/setups will always be supported the best - eg. IE/firefox.

And as others mentioned, installing the client will fix it too.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Wessan, in regard to the RuneScape Game Page, it's worse than that. Jagex recently decided to make all players view adverts until they've logged in, regardless of whether they're F2P or P2P. Your only choice to off it is to block it and/or deinstall flash (which I suspect isn't an option for you) from your computer, sorry. :(

As for your Tip.It Login Problems, read this thread about "Log-in changes?" here on the Tip.It Forums to get your answer as to why your auto-login isn't holding anymore. Don't ya just hate being ninja'd? :ph34r:

~D. V. "I hate to say it, but you're outta luck. Sorry!" Devnull

This isn't true, D_V. I'm certain that it's related to the cache/cookies or w/e - or at least some form of change that's been made since they last logged in as a member. I don't block their adverts, but they don't appear for me. I know after I've cleared all of my cookies, cache and history, etc. it gives me the advert at the top. I know I've seen it a few times within the past year or so, but after logging in once it corrects itself.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

<<<Quote Snip>>>

This isn't true, D_V. I'm certain that it's related to the cache/cookies or w/e - or at least some form of change that's been made since they last logged in as a member. I don't block their adverts, but they don't appear for me. I know after I've cleared all of my cookies, cache and history, etc. it gives me the advert at the top. I know I've seen it a few times within the past year or so, but after logging in once it corrects itself.

In that case, Jagex has changed things again since what I last read on the RSOF. I wish I had the QFC on file so I could point you to what I had last known. -.-

~D. V. "I hate when companies change things without giving their users enough visible info..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Actually -- from time to time, those advertisements remain, albeit slightly "hidden" behind the game -- even though you may or may not see them. They occasionally do pop out, like subliminal messages, when you go to log out, or your screen blanks out while scene shifting, like during teleports.

A friend of mine busted Jagex over this a while ago. In his opinion, Jagex was doing it deliberately to increase their revenues from advertisement "hits".

<_<

nyuseg.png

To back up Newb, it's not just for browsers. When I downloaded the official RuneScape client, adverts appeared at first, but once I logged in they were removed, and have remained off ever since. I've not noticed any subliminal messages popping out either.

Oh wow the internet has adverts? I completely forgot those things existed since i've had adblock for so many years.

Gonna leave my standard answer. "*Jagex do negative thing* It's for money".

They get so many more ad hits a day doing this from all the p2p players and can simply say 'Well WE can't remember if you're a member if you don't log in first silly. Despite having done so for the past few years'

CNqWHdA.jpg