Tip.It Times - 28th August 2011

Racheya

More f2p content would be an investment in the game that would yield virtually no return. F2p players aren't an asset to jagex or the game in general, and no one has given a single offensive warrant for more f2p content. There only result is added expense which contributes nothing to the game.

I'm not sure what the added expense to changing a binary from isP2POnly from true to false. Other than the Bury-All, what we usually ask for has already been developed and isn't in use.

Also as Kaida pointed out, the F2P segment gives JaGEx loads of free advertising from Book of World Records among other things.

Adding extra content on f2p servers costs money, regardless if the stuff has already been developed. It also gives less incentive to join p2p, which lowers potential profit, which also happens to be the purpose of f2p.

F2p obviously has a value to the game, that's why it exists. But adding new content to f2p wouldn't do anything. More things to advertise is useless if it doesn't actually get people to subscribe.

This is where they would need to figure out little things to add to satisfy the f2p community, but at the same time, not enough to nullify the benefits of membership. They could get away with the more simple things being added into f2p without sacrificing potential profit, but they do need to add in new things as well. As the p2p progresses, so should the f2p, just more gradually than the p2p.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New things for F2P have always been added at a very glacial rate. It's only been recently that they seem to have given F2P more than usual - and then stopped.

Artisan workshop, the urns, the dungeoneering skill, the FOG minigame, opening duel arena to F2P, the Great Orb Project, the canoes, a new quest (Bloodpact), the roach stronghold, the Forinthry dungeon, hellhounds despite dropping nothing useful, corrupt dragon, and plenty more. All these things could have been P2P only and stuck the free game in the early RS2 era.

Be grateful for what you have.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

New things for F2P have always been added at a very glacial rate. It's only been recently that they seem to have given F2P more than usual - and then stopped.

Artisan workshop, the urns, the dungeoneering skill, the FOG minigame, opening duel arena to F2P, the Great Orb Project, the canoes, a new quest (Bloodpact), the roach stronghold, the Forinthry dungeon, hellhounds despite dropping nothing useful, corrupt dragon, and plenty more. All these things could have been P2P only and stuck the free game in the early RS2 era.

Your missing the point the writer meant. He or she asked for obsolete methods in P2P. For example "Bury-X" for F2Pers. Did not ask for a minigame.

I agree with some of the bigger updates like dungeoneering, artisan and fog etc but all of those updates have been over 5 years in fact i am pretty sure duel arena is 5+, so over 60+ months they have given us that which doesnt seem that good to me, the bloodpact is a terrible quest i would prefer if we didnt have it, i have never been in the forinthry dungeon, hellhounds are pretty much pointless, corrupt dragon is very rare

SUPER.gif

More f2p content would be an investment in the game that would yield virtually no return. F2p players aren't an asset to jagex or the game in general, and no one has given a single offensive warrant for more f2p content. There only result is added expense which contributes nothing to the game.

I'm not sure what the added expense to changing a binary from isP2POnly from true to false. Other than the Bury-All, what we usually ask for has already been developed and isn't in use.

Also as Kaida pointed out, the F2P segment gives JaGEx loads of free advertising from Book of World Records among other things.

Adding extra content on f2p servers costs money, regardless if the stuff has already been developed. It also gives less incentive to join p2p, which lowers potential profit, which also happens to be the purpose of f2p.

F2p obviously has a value to the game, that's why it exists. But adding new content to f2p wouldn't do anything. More things to advertise is useless if it doesn't actually get people to subscribe.

And like I've pointed out before, I'm not going to subscribe so I can ignore the bonecrusher, I'm not going to subscribe so I can use master gop robes, and I wouldn't subscribe for Bury-All. Having these things would keep me around F2P longer, especially when it comes time to grind prayer or runecrafting.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Your missing the point the writer meant. He or she asked for obsolete methods in P2P. For example "Bury-X" for F2Pers. Did not ask for a minigame.

That was an addendum to Ieyura's post, not Sees' article.

Obsolete methods and gear for F2P - F2Pers have been asking for things like that ever since the adamant arrow update showed Jagex is willing to rebalance the free game. If it isn't the splitbark for mages, it's the rune arrows they're after. IMO F2P shouldn't seriously ask Jagex for anything apart from a stable game and the continued existence of being free. More than that seems like begging.

And since many members are very selfish when it comes to protecting what they see as theirs, giving away obsolete content might make them go, "And for what reason did I pay members for? Why are my perks being reduced? Hell with this!" Even giving the canoes to F2P kicked up a small outcry.

Having these things would keep me around F2P longer, especially when it comes time to grind prayer or runecrafting.

You're always supposed to pay up or shut up when it comes to faster leveling, which is a pity.

EDIT:

doesnt seem that good to me, the bloodpact is a terrible quest i would prefer if we didnt have it, i have never been in the forinthry dungeon, hellhounds are pretty much pointless, corrupt dragon is very rare

You might think it's not very good, but there are plenty others who do not share the same opinion as you.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I read the first article and as I often say when it comes to the times, I agree. F2P needs more updates, but sadly I don't think will get many more in the near future. Jagex seems way to focused on making money now...And that means focus on membership and members.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I would have to agree with BioIce on this one even thought I am a pur F2P myself. Then again, I think we are all entitled to our opinion, and See's point can be a bit valid for most F2P.

Keep in mind that F2P has come a long way since the game started, I can say that most people on the top F2P list can feel the game is getting easier overall. Bury X would make prayer another AFK skill just like WC, or the recent Artisan Workshop for smithing. Prayer and RC has always been the hardest skill to train for F2P, well smithing used to be since you need a lot of cash.

Not that saying preventing people from developing trigger finger or carpel tunnel deliberately is a good idea, but that's kind of what F2P is about, its suppose to be slow and grueling. You should ask some people who hits prayer 99 how they train in the old days, tons of burying (Franzk being first one to hit it).

I don't mind Jagex tweak little things to make the game more balanced (wildy pk for example), so if they decide to update something they deem necessary, they will do it so to speak.

I would like them to allow some items thats for member be collectable at F2P, maybe herb for herblore. At least f2P can collect them and sell them to members to help some new f2p some extra cash (assume we can solve the bot problem first)

Lastly, giving F2P bone crusher might entice people to macro more, since you just need the bonecrusher in your inventory, and then go hit monster (like goblins) for long time. (I would assume they can do that now with most bot program, but I can see it makes the process a lot easier)

My stance has always been a bit passive on getting new items or content for free 2 play, so I always follow "happy what we get, and don't actively ask for it" rule, to avoid members from complaining too much.

a happy Runescaper

This is where they would need to figure out little things to add to satisfy the f2p community, but at the same time, not enough to nullify the benefits of membership. They could get away with the more simple things being added into f2p without sacrificing potential profit, but they do need to add in new things as well. As the p2p progresses, so should the f2p, just more gradually than the p2p.

You missed the point - the point is that there isn't any or very little benefit to satisfying the f2p community, and the costs it would take to put more content into the f2p game probably would make it un-worth it.

You missed the point - the point is that there isn't any or very little benefit to satisfying the f2p community, and the costs it would take to put more content into the f2p game probably would make it un-worth it.

The free version is how they attract new players. Nobody starts as a member, and nobody is going to think "Hm, the free version is missing some things, I think I'll go buy membership", they'll think "Hm, the free version is missing some things, I think I'll go try World of Warcraft". They could give free players some of the things that are obsolete in members, and sure, that means they'll stay free longer, but if they stay longer, chances are they'll be more likely to want to pay for it down the line.

Look at it like any other game. They offer you a free demo, and if it's good you buy it. Nobody is going to believe a company that puts out a [cabbage]ty demo and says "But if you pay for it, it's the greatest game since Ocarina of Time!". They're going to walk away and go play some other free MMO. Let's be honest, at this point, there are a number of free MMOs that could give RS a run for its money if they develop a bit more.

Improving F2P, even if only a little, would probably benefit their bottom line a hell of a lot more than, say, linking the game to Facebook.

The free version is how they attract new players. Nobody starts as a member, and nobody is going to think "Hm, the free version is missing some things, I think I'll go buy membership", they'll think "Hm, the free version is missing some things, I think I'll go try World of Warcraft". They could give free players some of the things that are obsolete in members, and sure, that means they'll stay free longer, but if they stay longer, chances are they'll be more likely to want to pay for it down the line.

Look at it like any other game. They offer you a free demo, and if it's good you buy it. Nobody is going to believe a company that puts out a [cabbage]ty demo and says "But if you pay for it, it's the greatest game since Ocarina of Time!". They're going to walk away and go play some other free MMO. Let's be honest, at this point, there are a number of free MMOs that could give RS a run for its money if they develop a bit more.

Improving F2P, even if only a little, would probably benefit their bottom line a hell of a lot more than, say, linking the game to Facebook.

+1

SUPER.gif

Yeah, the only real reasons why I play RS over other games at the moment is:

- Low graphical requirements

- Not being pressured into purchasing expensive virtual crap (which, in most f2p asian mmos, is designed to cheat you of any real benefits unless you pay them even more) in order to play the actual game

There are many, many other free games out there that do provide experiences which don't make you want to punch your own face in right now, and the only thing that stops them from totally competing is that there are a lot of people that are too lazy to upgrade their graphical capabilities in order to play them.

8f14270694.jpg

Hi

I honestly don't see your point - there is already enough content to keep a F2P going for hours, days and months and adding more content won't increase the number of members.

What will increase the number of members is if Jagex start to do something about the bot population and revise their view on their customers (treat their customers in a decent manner).

I'll agree with the above poster in the way that, should jagex want to get more subscribers, new players in F2P shouldn't be immediately confronted with goldselling advertisements... Nor should they, once subscribed, find the exact same mess in P2P...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Hi

I honestly don't see your point - there is already enough content to keep a F2P going for hours, days and months and adding more content won't increase the number of members.

What will increase the number of members is if Jagex start to do something about the bot population and revise their view on their customers (treat their customers in a decent manner).

And this is the first step in that. F2P is a new player's first impression, and right now that first impression is a much higher degree of botting than in P2P and content that is highly outdated, if not broken. If they treat free players decently, those free players might have a better chance of subscribing than if they're ignored, especially since saying that there's a lot of content in F2P is like saying that there's a lot of gameplay in CoD if you play the story 100 times - Jagex got their number of hours in the free game by taking the in game time of the F2P'er with the most time in game.

Frankly, the reason I've gotten Membership recently is to escape the Bots and obscenely depressed market for FtP items. It's something I shouldn't have to do - the only thing keeping me playing are the low graphical requirements and people I meet (also a sense of familiarity).

I found a panda and then we bought malt liquor. I hold my malt liquor better than a panda.

And I thought my weekends were good. ._.

The thing is though that significantly increased xp rates is one of the biggest draws for getting members of the lot. I've seen several thread over the years asking is "members worth it" and one of the main arguments for getting members is always yes the xp rates are a lot better.

Now even if you're talking about giving methods that members don't use much, it's still narrowing the gap, so you need to be careful. If the difference is too small, you'll get more people taking the mentality they will complete their free skills before they shell out for members. (which will tend to mean they never get members at all)

I don't believe Xp rates are something which really make much a difference to if someone is drawn in, in the first place. Early players don't have much of a sense of different skilling methods and the very early levels are fairly quick regardless.

- such features are only really of interest to the long term F2P users.

Some F2P users can be quite crafty in making out what they're asking for is something quite small when in fact they're asking for something very specific to make them stop wishing they had members.

As others have said, what the f2P game needs to not deter new users is someway to reduce the botting epidemic. (especially the advertiser bots which are the most immediately visible) Not sure the best answer to that mind you, I believe that ironically one of the reasons that Runescape is more susceptible too bots than most is precisely because it has such an accessible free game. (such that any bot you ban can easily be replaced by 5 more)

Guest jrhairychest

This is complete fallacy. If this really applied then none of us would be subscribing to RS, wed have all gone to WOW from day 1. We played the free game with its limitations, we liked it and wanted more so we subscribed. We didnt exceed our expectations by staying F2P then demanding we got more. The main cause of posts like this is that there are some F2Pers who overstay their welcome then start to bite the hand that feeds them.

Ditto this.

F2P needs no more improvements apart from getting rid of the bots (which everyone is agreed). We dont need to provide incentive for people to stay in F2P by providing more. Which MMOs are you referring to?

I liked the article.

I've been F2P the entire time I've played Runescape, mostly because I like being F2P and I'm a casual gamer.

I don't believe that F2P should constantly get updates, considering the fact that we don't pay for the game. These past couple years have been huge for F2P, urns, canoes, Dungeoneering, Fist of Guthix, etc. While I would welcome the Master Runecrafting Robes or the Bonecrusher, I understand that members should get most of the benefits of the game.

I do believe that Jagex has the right to decide whether objects should be for members or not. It's their decision and that's that.

Main problems for F2P right now are the massive amount of bots and RWT spam everywhere.

71b76e512e.png

+1 for bury all... I'd like it for myself cause Dung makes my eyes bleed I still haven't saved enough points for frost tome... and I REALLY want that for ancients... I hate killing dragons, getting 20 bones then clicking each one... (i want bonecrusher too)

Side note, Just think! If they added more to f2p, they could say it takes 10000 hours to complete! hows that for advertisement!

I logged on f2p for about 10 mins the other day, trading with a friend, I reported 15 people at the GE just to ignore them long enough to hear my friend speak... then more showed up...

moar f2p mods plz?

cant be hard to find some f2p merchers who hang around GE... thats where I saw 99% of RWT bots

150x150.png

They need to introduce a longer tutorial; the main reason there are so many spambots it because it literally takes 2 minutes to make a new charterer and get him spamming the GE. There is even a bot that makes new accounts and sends them to the GE for you. If we had a revamped tutorial island that was exciting for newbies and took about 30 minutes, we'd see a lot less spambots.

F2P needs no more improvements apart from getting rid of the bots (which everyone is agreed). We don’t need to provide incentive for people to stay in F2P by providing more. Which MMO’s are you referring to?

More than half of my clan is playing League of Legends, and on another fansite I use, the administrator got half of its members into Dungeons and Dragons Online. The rest of that fansite is divided between Minecraft (Technically not free), Runescape, or real life (Or any combination of the above).

I haven't played LoL, and DDO is more of a free game than Runescape - You get the bulk of the game and can pay for credits to buy new classes or races and perks like more character slots. It's probably a hell of a lot less accessible than Runescape though, being D&D and all.

This seems to be what the MMO landscape has shifted into though, free/subscription or free/microtransactions, and the free games aren't all pieces of [cabbage] that were coded during a lunch break anymore. Runescape's niche was being a quality free/cheap MMO, and that territory is filling up with new games that don't yet have all of it's problems. That's probably killing the game just as much as bots.

Oh, look at me going wildly off topic :razz:

F2P has been getting updates a *lot* more regularly recently than it used to, if anything F2Pers should be grateful that they're getting any updates, rather than complaining about the ones that they don't get. Essentially, the article was merely a regurgitated version of http://forum.tip.it/topic/285421-why-cant-f2p-have/.

10xy5fk.png

I myself am a member as of the writing of this response, but I have spent my fair share of the last 6.5 years of my gameplay as a nonmember. While I do believe in the concept of paying up for the members' game - after all, there IS a REASON it's called members'-only - it is true that nonmembers are lacking quite a bit of content relative to the pace of advancement of members. September's BTS appears to offer several exciting updates - but not a one will be for nonmembers, it would seem. I guess nonmembers are going to have to wait for the "In other news..." at the bottom of a major update in order to get anything. Hey nonmembers, don't fret though - as a member, I've noticed that I've been looking forward to the In other news much more than I have to about 2/3 of the "major" updates this year. To conclude, it is clear that Jagex could do a little more to provide for their free game, but no matter what, if you want the full experience of RuneScape, you're going to have to pay.

moar f2p mods plz?

cant be hard to find some f2p merchers who hang around GE... thats where I saw 99% of RWT bots

Unfortunately, it wouldn't help much. I saw a p-mod come into the GE once, mute every spambot there and then say "There. That's a bit quieter" (or something such) to let us all know he'd done it. I was happy at first, but within 2 minutes new spambots started popping up. We'd have to have mods standing in the GE and Lumbridge on each world 24/7 doing nothing but muting/banning spambots to eradicate the problem.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...