21-Oct-2011 - Bot-Busting and Bonuses For All

Octarine

I'll accept anything as long as it's not nothing.

Get rid of a lot of the bots would be satistfying, even if there's still some left.

But I'm positive, and expect it to work to get rid of 98%.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of a lot of the bots would be satistfying, even if there's still some left.

Getting rid of them as in banning them? I'd be fine if they just made the common types of botting impossible.

VsaJs.jpg

So -- you would accept, say, the elimination of 25% of the bots (say ess miners and soceress's garden bots), a roll back of all their skills and no bannings whatsoever?

That's "something" and not "nothing", right? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

Even if they didn't rollback/ban bots who've been at this for a while, but somehow just make it impossible for the reflection and injection bots to function, I'd be happy.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So -- you would accept, say, the elimination of 25% of the bots (say ess miners and soceress's garden bots), a roll back of all their skills and no bannings whatsoever?

That's "something" and not "nothing", right? :unsure:

If they've been gathering names for a while now, I'd expect they'll throw out a fair few bans or entire roll-backs, considering they'll be unable to bot any of their levels again.

I don't know, Blyaunte. At this point I'd be happy with anything. Bots have never actually directly effected me (I spend all of my time bank standing in Edgeville), but I know they bother a lot of other people - and any kind of removal of them will be beneficial.

And no, I think I'd rather essence bots and sorcerers garden bots as opposed to bots killing common monsters that real players kill for money.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

But, here's a question for you (or anyone else who wants to answer it) -- at what level will you accept Clusterflutterer to be a "success"? Only if it manages to eliminate 98% of all bots AND these accounts and all correlated accounts are permanently banned?

Are you willing to accept less and just appreciate the effort? :unsure:

I'm willing to accept less than 98% elimination (although that would be awesome if they can achieve it), but not rollbacks. They need to show that they are truly serious about botting and bring back perma bans for all infractions. The rollbacks were a horrible idea and were simply a step towards validating bots in the game.

A strong stance, without wavering, will go a long way towards resorting the players' faith in Jagex.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

3. Lots and lots of people realizing their 9 year old cousin botted on their main account over the summer while they were away helping the orphans in Africa. Expect lots of threads pointing out this injustice.

Ok -- I LOL'd IRL ... :lol:

But, here's a question for you (or anyone else who wants to answer it) -- at what level will you accept Clusterflutterer to be a "success"? Only if it manages to eliminate 98% of all bots AND these accounts and all correlated accounts are permanently banned?

Are you willing to accept less and just appreciate the effort? :unsure:

Right now, Jagex says that the changes will stop 98% of the current bots. Now, assuming they're honest after the fact, that should mean around 100,000 bots active at any one time. Again, I assume that's the number of bots messed up after each update only this time they stay messed up. If it's not near 100k, then I'd consider it a failure.

Now, how they treat those that they've identified is another tale. I don't mind rollbacks cause it does the same as banning and starting a new character for most. That's assuming they're just botting for levels and not gold farming for RWT.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Still, good thing I havent used my current Pengu points. What to spend 60+ on...

I thought the most penguin points you can have is 50?

I think Tim thinks that his current points will get doubled....he has 30 or so of them now, and believes that will turn into 60 - which is wrong though.

I noticed that too =/

They are really, really, really confident. This is it, if it fails, the game dies, if it works, another golden age of rs should begin :D

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

They're really, really confident of this.

bnd.png

Also, if this is correctly timed, they're be 11 hours of bonus Slayer XP.

I like how exaggerated they're going to take things.

Maybe I should be less skeptical if they're willing to jump from a high point on the cliff.

I noticed that too =/

They are really, really, really confident. This is it, if it fails, the game dies, if it works, another golden age of rs should begin :D

Maybe that's what the Golden Scythe is for - to commemorate the deaths of tens of thousands of bots. :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

They're really, really confident of this.

bnd.png

Also, if this is correctly timed, they're be 11 hours of bonus Slayer XP.

Wow, I see this and wonder if Jagex is growing a serious pair.

What Jagex is telling all the bot makers (nsfw)..

Yeah, Jagex saying "Not only are we doubling and tripling all this experience, you can't do a damn thing to bot it." Now I want to see them pull it off in a real way. This week will tell all.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy

Well tbh I would be terribly happy if they just got rid of the bots that annoy everyone. The bots designed to make fast gp and thus to be sold for real life cash.

The goldfarming companies are the big enemy here. I couldn't care less about the kids who bot for XP because they're too lazy to grind it manually.

Someone who runs a dungeoneering bot 24hrs a day doesn't bother me since he doesn't crash my spot and he doesn't immediately mess with the ge prices.

The second the dungeoneering botter swaps to a frost dragon botter that becomes a threat to us because he has influence of the ge price of frost drag bones, visage etc...

I just think Jagex will focus on the autotypers and the RW-Traders.

At least that's what I hope... If the goldselling companies can't bot anymore it would be a relief to play again imo

For the rest: I just hope they can stop all bot scripts for as long as possible. Nobody botting would be the best thing, but if I'm realistic I'd be happy when all the iLLii11Li and dsfd45sdgfg1 players are gone :)

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

I'm willing to accept less than 98% elimination (although that would be awesome if they can achieve it), but not rollbacks. They need to show that they are truly serious about botting and bring back perma bans for all infractions. The rollbacks were a horrible idea and were simply a step towards validating bots in the game.

A strong stance, without wavering, will go a long way towards resorting the players' faith in Jagex.

Frankly I think ^THIS^ is pretty much the answer I'm most willing to accept. :thumbsup:

nyuseg.png

Blyaunte, Kaida: I get what you're both talking about. But isn't a roll-back (A good roll-back), not just essentially the same as a ban?

The players stats that they cheated to gain, were completely restored to their original levels? I think a rollback might keep these people playing, but an all-out permanent ban won't. Granted these people have broken rules, but that's been punished. It means their friends lists, etc. aren't completely lost. Things they did earn legitimately, aren't lost.

I'm not for rollbacks, but I think if it doesn't drive more people away from the game then it's a satisfactory replacement for a permanent ban - IMHO.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Blyaunte, Kaida: I get what you're both talking about. But isn't a roll-back (A good roll-back), not just essentially the same as a ban?

The players stats that they cheated to gain, were completely restored to their original levels? I think a rollback might keep these people playing, but an all-out permanent ban won't. Granted these people have broken rules, but that's been punished. It means their friends lists, etc. aren't completely lost. Things they did earn legitimately, aren't lost.

I'm not for rollbacks, but I think if it doesn't drive more people away from the game then it's a satisfactory replacement for a permanent ban - IMHO.

Thing is – Jagex has indicated that they're going to "TARGET" 98% of the bots and that they have "detected and banned over 1.5 million botting and gold-farming accounts" ...

Frankly – I have not seen any reduction in botting yet – and it's been discussed here that the alleged 1.5 million +/- accounts in question have been merely "tagged" for banning once "Clusterflutterer" comes into effect.

I worry that I may be "reading into this" more than actually is being said here. On the face of it, it appears that a very grand promise is being made, but it's been worded in some double-speak that makes it possible for Jagex to weasel out of these broad claims.

... and yes, I know that they cannot offer solid guarantees ... I mean, really, nothing's 100%, right?

I just have to wonder if they actually genuinely honest-to–goodnessly mean what appears to be said here: i.e. that they're going to "target" 98% of the bots and BAN those 1.5 million accounts – or whether they're going to [kitty]foot around like they usually do, not actually eliminate anything whatsoever, let a percentage of the bots continue unabated, and simply rollback those 1.5 million accounts, or at least whatever percentage of those are P2P ...

Damn – it sucks being pessimistic ... <_<

nyuseg.png

Thing is – Jagex has indicated that they're going to "TARGET" 98% of the bots and that they have "detected and banned over 1.5 million botting and gold-farming accounts" ...

Frankly – I have not seen any reduction in botting yet – and it's been discussed here that the alleged 1.5 million +/- accounts in question have been merely "tagged" for banning once "Clusterflutterer" comes into effect.

I worry that I may be "reading into this" more than actually is being said here. On the face of it, it appears that a very grand promise is being made, but it's been worded in some double-speak that makes it possible for Jagex to weasel out of these broad claims.

... and yes, I know that they cannot offer solid guarantees ... I mean, really, nothing's 100%, right?

I just have to wonder if they actually genuinely honest-to–goodnessly mean what appears to be said here: i.e. that, if they're going to "target" 98% of the bots and BAN those 1.5 million accounts – or whether they're going to [kitty]foot around like they usually do, not actually eliminate anything whatsoever, let a percentage of the bots continue unabated, and simply rollback those 1.5 million accounts, or at least whatever percentage of those are P2P ...

Damn – it sucks being pessimistic ... <_<

Hate to say this three times... I have seen numbers of my fishing ranks gone up by 300k ranks and my magic rank increasing dramatically (at least 400k), so that is already 700k bots busted only by bots being higher JUST LOOK: http://runetracker.org/track-wissie,11,2 http://runetracker.org/track-wissie,7,2 (it is bugged because if you are not in the highscores you are rank 0 so that is why it decreased 1,6mil instead of increasing 400k).

So there is the proof of at least half of the 1,5mil.

Edited by essiw

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, but I'm sure there will be some way around it for the scripters? Although I have no idea how botting software is programmed and what the update is going to do, but I'm just thinking positive. Hopefully raw materials will become much more profitable again!

Well I presume they've collected the names and will ban them. Someone posted on the forum about them having warned these people and that they would stop when they saw the warning, and not end up getting punished. A jmod replied "Don't worry, we've got that covered."

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Hate to say this three times... I have seen numbers of my mining ranks gone up by 300k ranks and my magic rank increasing dramatically (at least 400k), so that is already 700k bots busted only by bots being higher JUST LOOK: http://runetracker.org/track-wissie,11,2 http://runetracker.org/track-wissie,7,2 (it is bugged because if you are not in the highscores you are rank 0 so that is why it decreased 1,6mil instead of increasing 400k).

So there is the proof of at least half of the 1,5mil.

Well, you have to assume many of those accounts had both magic and mining, so you can't just add the two numbers together. It's still a big number that points toward active action on Jagex's part. Banning of gold farmers and RWT is fine by me. Doing rollbacks on accounts that appear to be for actually playing the game is also fine by me. Real people react to getting spanked like that, gold farmers wouldn't blink at a ban much less a rollback.

nukemarine.png