21-Oct-2011 - Bot-Busting and Bonuses For All

Octarine

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sympathize with those who feel rs is ruined because they can't bot anymore. Botting is like flipping items (lots of rewards with very little time investment), and personally if flipping was gone than rs would feel ruined for me in the same way that it does for them.

Of course botting is against the rules and makes the game less pleasant for people while flipping doesn't.

Let me get one thing straight - they're the ones who have already ruined (more like decimated) the game for us. I would never have cancelled my sub had it not for the complete loss of hope.

This game was built for players, not bots. No online game dev in the right mind would tolerate cheaters.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

That's hardly the point he's trying to make. Having a purpose that brought you to play the game removed is disheartening. That's all he was saying.

Besides that, getting rid of bots will not be the magical cure-all the game needs to bring the community around.

hzvjpwS.gif

Besides that, getting rid of bots will not be the magical cure-all the game needs to bring the community around.

Probably not, but it would be one heck of a first step.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

An interesting side-effect, if this update actually works, might be the change in the average price of RuneScape's common commodities, most of which were heavily botted which in turn kept their prices relatively low. When nature runes, amulets of fury, adamantite bars, herblore supplies and dragon bones start shooting through the roof again, I'm not convinced everyone will be so glad to see the back of them.

This is before even touching on the wider issues surrounding RuneScape, other than botting.

Probably not, but it would be one heck of a first step.

Yes, you're definitely right, but botting was never bad enough to make me want to cancel my membership. I play for more reasons than just skilling.

hzvjpwS.gif

An interesting side-effect, if this update actually works, might be the change in the average price of RuneScape's common commodities, most of which were heavily botted which in turn kept their prices relatively low. When nature runes, amulets of fury, adamantite bars, herblore supplies and dragon bones start shooting through the roof again, I'm not convinced everyone will be so glad to see the back of them.

This is before even touching on the wider issues surrounding RuneScape, other than botting.

We saw that with the removal of free trade.

The reality is that it will allow people without access to amazing money makers like bossing still make decent money through dragons/mid level farming/etc.

I for one don't care if the bots stay or go with this update. I just like the reward days.

I like that Jagex is taking another active stance, rather than the reactive one we have been getting for the past while.

I have no doubt the the bots will be back within 4 months, but at least it is a small damper; and may cause some sites to go down.

Please ffs do some perm banning this time.... Nuking bots =/= giving bots a rollback or a week temp ban.

A-freaking-men! If they continue with rollbacks then they will have simply nullified any effect of Operation ClusterFlutterer.

Lol. 'ClusterFlutterer'. I totally want that as a custom forum rank. :lol:

Weird how it sounds similar to something else we use. :-w

This. Honestly, and I may sound like a total dick for this, but I'd rather have bots around if it meant that I wouldn't have to pay 200M for turmoil instead of the 50M (with bots around keeping prices low).

Anyway, I just put an offer in GE for 25,000 dragon bones. I hope this update falls flat on its ass so that the prices of the bones drops back down to a reasonable price.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I think that's probably the most greedy way of looking at this update.

But whatever. Hopefully it doesn't fail, and people with your mindset realise you'll need to put in that extra effort.

While bots are lowering your prices, they're making it more difficult for people that can't afford that 50M to earn any money.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

This. Honestly, and I may sound like a total dick for this, but I'd rather have bots around if it meant that I wouldn't have to pay 200M for turmoil instead of the 50M (with bots around keeping prices low).

Anyway, I just put an offer in GE for 25,000 dragon bones. I hope this update falls flat on its ass so that the prices of the bones drops back down to a reasonable price.

Why do you care? You're retired :rolleyes:

1. Lulz

2. Looking for something to do on Xmas break. 95 prayer seems like an Okay goal since it wouldn't take too much of my time. :smile:

Plus I don't actually care about the Runescape community so much as what keeps me entertained, and grinding my ass off on an online video game for 20+ hours extra just to scrape up that extra cash to do what I wanna do because the RS community is retarded and wants to suddenly double the price of an item.

Guess that pretty much makes me an [wagon]. But I honestly have no qualms with shitting on the RS community because they'd do the same to me in a heartbeat.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Guess that pretty much makes me an [wagon]. But I honestly have no qualms with shitting on the RS community because they'd do the same to me in a heartbeat.

The whole 'they'd do it to me so it's okay if I do it to them' mentality is what's wrong with society these days. If people would just stop trying to screw each other over and actually attempt to make the community a better place, we may actually find that people as a whole are not that bad.

"Cautiously excited" sums up my thoughts on this one. If this works it would be beyond epic, but I'm interested to see how effective it is and if/how long it will take bot makers to work around it. Heck, free xp/penguin points is always a good thing though! :thumbup:

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Don't worry; prices will fall again. It is just panic inflation right now, and most of the d bones being bought are being hoarded, not altared.

Oh ya... If you snooze you lose, I'm happy to have bought 95 prayer when d bones were 3.4k each.

I've had some time to think about this. Yes, I'm still firmly in the "believe it when I see it" group, with some pessimism added for flavor. However, I have to weigh the larger question: what will Jagex do to prevent people from wanting to bot in the future?

Think about it. The primary reason real players use these is to free themselves from the horribly dull grind that is much of RuneScape. RWT and bot companies feed on this bordeom and, regardless of any mere technical solution (which, in time, will also be conquered), the culture of the game will have remain unchanged.

So, let's assume then that Jagex's clusterf-I mean ClusterFutter works. The vast majority of bots are now banned. However, the gameplay is still bent to favor the grind. Will Jagex have thus rid the game of bots? Nope - where there's a will to take the easy road, it will have been well traveled.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Hi everyone,

Tuesday:

Slayer skill day: All Slayer XP earned from killing assigned targets will be tripled. Some monsters will have a faster respawn time.

Mark Gerhard

I find this statement quite interesting - 'Respawn times will be faster'. Are they suggesting that this will only be on the Monday?

As we all know respawn times are 'usually' based on world populations, are they intimating that the world populations will be alot lower & therefore be detrimental to the non-botting element of their customer base? I for one would delighted if they have taken the pro-active step to ensure we are not kept hanging around for XYZ to spawn because the world that previously had 1800 people now only operates with 500.

Lets wait & see

the_lad_1.png

Bot owners are dummping everything they got into the market now.

I speculate that bot owners will shut down their bots for a week, there goes the supply for our 99 herblore / prayer / younameit.

Anyways, the bot nuke = GF GE.

lol Maybe botters will go back to SCAR, but I'm sure thats easier to track than reflection and injection, and probably isn't as nearly as efficient.

Anyways I see these as outcomes.

1) Jagex stops botting.

2) Jagex doesn't stop botting.

3) Jagex sells gold for 10-20cents/mil. That would stop goldfarming bots lol, or make it way less desirable to goldfarm.

4) Jagex rollsback millions of accounts, and charge them 25$ to get their accs back, about 3-5months of mem right there. Crazy marketing ploy right there.

Also, would be cool if Jagex removed the dice bag, or made it so dice can only be used in alkarid.

But like what some people been saying, preventing botting will help a rebuild some of the community, but... there's still a lot left to be done. I mean there's the whole you need to be 138 maxed everything attitude to have fun in runescape, or how dare you do something inefficient, or you got all those people who afk play, why even play Rs if you're going to glance at it 1-3 times a minute. I just hope all those cocky 138 Pvm bossers that botted their levels get banned. Every1 has their annoyance in RS, and for me those players are the worst. Ohye there's the whole Rs is doomed in 2 years attitude also, or Runescape is becoming too easy. I think that's why majority of the top players quit. Although, tbh time does play a major factor in achievements, I mean in 3-5 years (I'd say thats the average for most "legit" players, from personal experience), people are going to be getting 99s whether skills are getting easier or not.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Quick question in relation to penguins next week..

Does this mean that there will be 2 resets? so that you can do them on wednesday when they've reset, then again on the thursday?

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!