21-Oct-2011 - Bot-Busting and Bonuses For All

Octarine

T-T-T-TRIPLE CASTLE WARS?!?!@?@?

HHHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG. I know where I'll be all day.

EDIT: [bleep]. This is totally Anti-Australian times AGAIN. Ihu Jagex >.>

Starts at what, 11AM NSW, and finishes that time the next day. Got some solid night time play at least?

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just to be clear it's double points not double xp for penguin hunting. I mean I couldn't save up 50 points and get double xp for all of them. Instead it just makes the maximum points for that day 32 instead of the normal 16. Am I right?

AH well, triple exp for slay sounds nice, even if it's only 100k+ more than what I usually get in 4-6 hours.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

This is exactly what almost every anti-cheat mechanism does.

Not true most anti cheat mechanism detect repeating strings of data or modified actions.

Ever heard of nProtect GameGuard? It's the anti-cheating software bundled with Aion, Lineage II, and dozens of other Asian produced MMORPGs. Wikipedia describes what it does as:

GameGuard hides the game application process, monitors the entire memory range, terminates applications defined by the game vendor and INCA Internet to be cheats (QIP for example), blocks certain calls to DirectX functions and Windows APIs, keylogs your keyboard input, and auto-updates itself to change as new threats surface.

I'll admit that it's mostly the Asian games that use this kind of software, but American and European publishing companies have been quick to accept it's use as necessary. Spyware in the name of game security isn't new.

Frankly, I find the timing of this whole thing to be somewhat circumspect, at best. Awfully convenient that this bold move of bot removal is going to happen a mere few days prior to Runefest, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I actually think they planned it to be this way for a few months now. I'm sure they only added that bot busting insider session because they realized that they could get this bot fix out in time for Runefest. They probably wanted to have a session to finally be able to boast that they solved the problem. (Assuming this fix is successful)

So it really is a giant trumped-up PR event rather than an actual, honest solution to a very serious problem.

I don't know how people can place their faith in the company blindly anymore; it's clear they're talking out of both sides of their mouth.

But isn't the whole bot issue solely a PR problem in itself? If the public didn't care about bots, nobody, especially Jagex, would consider it a problem. There's really no logical way that Jagex could take out the bots without it being a PR event, so let them. If it does what they say it does, then they deserve all of the PR accolades they can get. If they don't, they deserve the PR disaster that they will get. That's public relations for you.

I'm going to get a bucket of popcorn tomorrow, methinks. icon_razz.gif

~ W ~

sigzi.png

"Penguin Hide & Seek and Familiarization will be reset on the day, so you can do them again if you have already done them that week"

Does this mean I should go do penguins Mon/Tues/Wed, since it resets Thursday?

[hide]

99 Theving

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

Ever heard of nProtect GameGuard? It's the anti-cheating software bundled with Aion, Lineage II, and dozens of other Asian produced MMORPGs. Wikipedia describes what it does as:

GameGuard hides the game application process, monitors the entire memory range, terminates applications defined by the game vendor and INCA Internet to be cheats (QIP for example), blocks certain calls to DirectX functions and Windows APIs, keylogs your keyboard input, and auto-updates itself to change as new threats surface.

I'll admit that it's mostly the Asian games that use this kind of software, but American and European publishing companies have been quick to accept it's use as necessary. Spyware in the name of game security isn't new.

The problem with GameGuard is that it sounds good in theory but botters have cracked it as well. MapleStory runs GameGuard (or used to anyway) and it was one of the most botted games I'd ever played. I don't know if GG has gotten any better, but it certainly wasn't very effective a couple of years ago.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

"Penguin Hide & Seek and Familiarization will be reset on the day, so you can do them again if you have already done them that week"

If you haven't done them for this past week (which started Wednesday), do them before Wednesday, again on Wednesday, then again on Thursday. Essentially, there are two resets for penguins this coming week. One on the normal day, Wednesday, and another the next day, Thursday.

Flyingjj.png

If you haven't done them for this past week (which started Wednesday), do them before Wednesday, again on Wednesday, then again on Thursday. Essentially, there are two resets for penguins this coming week. One on the normal day, Wednesday, and another the next day, Thursday.

Sweet, thanks :)

[hide]

99 Theving

[/hide]

98% of bots killed. 2% survive. That 2% that works will be used by botters. Soon becomes 100% of bots. Bot problem continues.

The 2% that survive will be auto clickers and pascal based bots. However they're hugely unreliable and high ban rates, reflection and injection actually deal with the java code.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

they must be pretty confident its going to work with all those bonuses

Or it's a way to shhhhh us in case it doesn't work.

"Guys don't complain, you got a nice bonus didn't you?"

More like they were worried people would see how low-pop the game really was w/o bots and promote playing so RS doesnt look as bad

Frankly, I find the timing of this whole thing to be somewhat circumspect, at best. Awfully convenient that this bold move of bot removal is going to happen a mere few days prior to Runefest, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I actually think they planned it to be this way for a few months now. I'm sure they only added that bot busting insider session because they realized that they could get this bot fix out in time for Runefest. They probably wanted to have a session to finally be able to boast that they solved the problem. (Assuming this fix is successful)

So it really is a giant trumped-up PR event rather than an actual, honest solution to a very serious problem.

I don't know how people can place their faith in the company blindly anymore; it's clear they're talking out of both sides of their mouth.

But isn't the whole bot issue solely a PR problem in itself? If the public didn't care about bots, nobody, especially Jagex, would consider it a problem. There's really no logical way that Jagex could take out the bots without it being a PR event, so let them. If it does what they say it does, then they deserve all of the PR accolades they can get. If they don't, they deserve the PR disaster that they will get. That's public relations for you.

I'm going to get a bucket of popcorn tomorrow, methinks. icon_razz.gif

It's a PR issue since both the company (in the past and now), and the player base have made a huge fuss about it. Although I should quantify what I mean by "PR event", since you're right based on the complete tautology of it.

Announcing that you have the next greatest BotZapper5000 (commonly known as ClusterFlutterer) or whatever is what I consider a PR event. Announcing that you're still handling the situation, then having concrete evidence to back those statements up, isn't. We don't need fanfare to see that Jagex is actually being honest and working hard about fighting the bots, but to put it bluntly, that's all we've been given since 2007.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Still, good thing I havent used my current Pengu points. What to spend 60+ on...

I thought the most penguin points you can have is 50?

That is correct.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Yes, it'll provide the bot developpers with a herculean task to overcome it, but it will not be impossible...

Once the technique has been found how to get a bot working again, the game will be flooded once again...

Compare cheats to burglars, you don't have to have a perfect lock on your door, just a better one than your neighbors have :-)

We'll find out soon, but any guesses what all will happen within the first few days?

1. Mass banning of previously botted F2P accounts, and any that had heavy trading with those accounts

2. Mass roll backs of many members (some bans) for botting and RWT.

3. Lots and lots of people realizing their 9 year old cousin botted on their main account over the summer while they were away helping the orphans in Africa. Expect lots of threads pointing out this injustice.

4. PhD level of anti- anti-bot programming commencing as thousands if not millions of dollars in revenue is at stake.

5. Major price increases due to removal of many botted items, gps, and collected rares from the game due to rollbacks and banning.

Granted, I'm skeptical as MMG freaking lied about Jagex being able to handle the bots. Now, if the upcoming changes only allow for botting on the interface level (color recognition, mouse positioning/clicking, etc.) then that's great. That type of botting cannot be stopped outside of using similar methods such as the anti-spam that reduced the input to at least the level of human ability and speed. If the bot programs can still interact with the code, then yeah, complete failure due to the hype created.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Yes, it'll provide the bot developpers with a herculean task to overcome it, but it will not be impossible...

Once the technique has been found how to get a bot working again, the game will be flooded once again...

Compare cheats to burglars, you don't have to have a perfect lock on your door, just a better one than your neighbors have :-)

Not the best comparison. Remember, your neighbors house has to have something worth taking (idiots paying money for gp or bot programs) in addition to having weak locks.

Remind me again why idiots are paying $500 for 1 billion gp currency for a game where people moaned about a price raise from $5 to $6 a month? I get botting for levels and gathering, but actually paying 10x what a five year subscription would cost? Sorry, not getting it.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Also, would be cool if Jagex removed the dice bag, or made it so dice can only be used in alkarid.

runescape vegas :lol:

going to al-kharid, better bring some singles

98% of bots killed. 2% survive. That 2% that works will be used by botters. Soon becomes 100% of bots. Bot problem continues.

Logic:

98% of bots are killed, that leaves 2%, means that 2% is the new 100% although at that moment it is still the same amount. So while you are 100% right it doesn't mean the bot problem continues ;)

Joking aside, I like to see what they have planned :) and hoping it lasts longer than a few weeks :)

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Not the best comparison. Remember, your neighbors house has to have something worth taking (idiots paying money for gp or bot programs) in addition to having weak locks.

Remind me again why idiots are paying $500 for 1 billion gp currency for a game where people moaned about a price raise from $5 to $6 a month? I get botting for levels and gathering, but actually paying 10x what a five year subscription would cost? Sorry, not getting it.

Big gold sellers buy bulk gold. Then they turn it around and sell it for slightly higher for a profit. But when they do re sell that gold, they typically sell for much smaller amounts. 20mil here, 100mil there, so it's usually not people dropping that much money at once.

Also we can't let the words of some represent the words of all. Some people complained about membership prices, but that doesn't mean everyone really cared. And don't forget some people just complain about everything :thumbsup:

jpegsigtest.jpg

3. Lots and lots of people realizing their 9 year old cousin botted on their main account over the summer while they were away helping the orphans in Africa. Expect lots of threads pointing out this injustice.

Ok -- I LOL'd IRL ... :lol:

But, here's a question for you (or anyone else who wants to answer it) -- at what level will you accept Clusterflutterer to be a "success"? Only if it manages to eliminate 98% of all bots AND these accounts and all correlated accounts are permanently banned?

Are you willing to accept less and just appreciate the effort? :unsure:

nyuseg.png