Vanity Items - RS Prepaid cards and Ornate Katana

Articultural

I wouldnt have a problem with this if it was for ALL members. Since it is for members who pay by prepaid cards im against it. Im not going to spend more money per month just for a stupid item. I would only use the prepaids if I didn't have a credit card.

Then you don't get the STUPID item. Why is that a problem? I could hardly care less about this katana.... +14 str bonus, woot woot, >than crapier at strength training!!!!!

Staurolite.png

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect the jmod who wrote that facebook comment to be wrong, just like the mod who talked about RotM coming out in July was later confirmed wrong by MMG. There has been far too many statements to the contrary by higher-ups on the matter for them to go back on it. The people who run their social media outlets don't seem to be very consistent.

hzvjpwS.gif

I think everyone has a line somewhere on the path to selling in-game crap; this is mine. Depending on how it goes in the future I may retract my opinion... but I've stopped being optimistic towards Jagex when I realized they don't care that much about bots. If all this promo stuff is essentially only "useful" to pretty much new players, and if they re-use items in new offers so that players can eventually earn it via doing nothing more then paying for membership, then maybe I guess it's okay...

I don't think Jagex has actually done something that (most) players think cross a line. It's just they get closer and closer. At one point, Jagex was completely against RWT and botting. Now, Jagex is becoming rather apathetic towards bots. RWT is less of an issue because it won't (indirectly or otherwise) cause credit card companies to abandon Jagex (killing easily 50% of their income.) RWT is also more rampant with not only free trade, but the bots. Runefest was an example paying RL money for an RS item. (Albeit not much of an item.) Now they have this promotion which offers something a little more useful. (Limited to lvl 3s and def pures, maybe str pures. as far as I can see.) Best lvl 1 weapon isn't it?

It's not that these two items are bad, it's just people see the path this could take Jagex. These are two baby steps on the way to a game with a cash shop.

@ Ring world: if it was for all members, it'd just be a more useful wintumber tree. I have nothing against a more useful wintumber tree that you need to be a member during a specific time period to use - kinda similar to BXP weekends.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Facebook mod is confirming future microtransactions.

CVnCK.png

It's down a bit in the comments about the katana pic.

A verbal minority? Are they really that blind/stupid/moronic? I see one or two, "Sounds cool!" for every hundred, "WTF is this?!"

Jagex is [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed]ed.

2. Why do we have this rule?

We have this rule for three reasons: firstly, because we don’t want you to be able to buy your way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for other players. We feel your status in real-life shouldn’t affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape.

LMFAO! But then again, they've not cared about their players for the past... Since MMG?

The second they implement this, is the second me and the m8s leave this [cabbage]ty game. Lol.

09144a99bb.png

Though I can see the argument from the gift card user's side ("We pay more for the same product"), I wholeheartedly disapprove of this scheme.

In case it hasn't been noted yet:

RuneScape Hey all, we're hoping to offer this in other countries and retailers in future. The item comes free with a membership card purchase. You are buying the membership, not the item. -Crow

RuneScape Austin Hinz: The special offer will only be available from GameStop. You can still purchase membership cards from Walmart, but they will not come with the special vanity item! - Mod Bartie

This company is making it easier for me to hate them with every passing day.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Facebook mod is confirming future microtransactions.

CVnCK.png

It's down a bit in the comments about the katana pic.

A verbal minority? Are they really that blind/stupid/moronic? I see one or two, "Sounds cool!" for every hundred, "WTF is this?!"

Jagex is [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed]ed.

2. Why do we have this rule?

We have this rule for three reasons: firstly, because we dont want you to be able to buy your way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for other players. We feel your status in real-life shouldnt affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape.

LMFAO! But then again, they've not cared about their players for the past... Since MMG?

The second they implement this, is the second me and the m8s leave this [cabbage]ty game. Lol.

basically this, I'd leave I barely play at all as is, so microtransactions would just be the tipping point. Jagex needs to get there [cabbage] together.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

357456423.jpg

Yeah false alarm fortunately, I just came back yesterday from a 3 month break and I thought I was gonna have to quit again already!

is the runescape facebook password "password" or something? Like seriously, how does that happen?

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Maybe it's the fact I've seen this already in several MMOs, most notably WoW, or the fact I've played too many games in general, that I find most of the commentary on this absolutely silly. People complained about them selling vanity items and what not there too, flamed users "publicly" for having them and in the end, they moved on. The game continued to run, as far as I know they've yet to sell things of "use" in-game, such as levels or top of the line gear.

From my point of view, that's the only thing that should upset someone over these tactics - obviously so. Offering levels and top end gear for cash would truly make peoples "achievements" worthless. So would selling things like party hats or other holiday items.

The only thing that even displeases slightly me about this is the limitations of location and payment method, which for all we know could just be the first place they've negotiated rights to sell them in. Plus, the official "release" is what? 5 days away?

At the end of the day, I don't give a hell rats ass what fancy little things they add onto game cards to help younger gamers get mommy and daddy to buy them a card " 'cause it's a deal! " As long as they do the reasonably smart thing and not cast the games core components (levels, quests, highscore ranks and "rares" you could say) into illegitimacy I'm okay with it. Something a new player will use a bit, then bank or destroy? Please.

Besides, if other MMO producers are selling vanity items and other niceties to increase profits, why wouldn't, or shouldn't, Jagex do the same? Seeing as how I play this game still, I would kind of like them to turn a profit and continue keeping it good entertainment, as it has been for 10 years. If it was my company I would certainly offer vanity items too, as there obviously is a demand for it. I just might take the time to implement it where the max possible userbase has access to it should they want it...

:rolleyes:

You could argue about them wasting time developing these rather than fixing problems within the game...which would be nice if it actually happened...*cough* bots. Alas, this is Jagex, and while they make their share of blunders, I hardly find fault with this, at least as it stands tonight. :mellow:

...Now if they start offering Bunny Ears to people I'll start a RSOF riot and crash servers. :thumbsup: /jk

How was it done by a user when the spelling is exactly the same? >_>

Facebook display names and display pics don't have to be unique

How does one change their display name on facebook? I didn't think such a thing was possible. EDIT: I just went to look and I had to have a first and last name in order to change my display name. The only optional field was the middle name.

hzvjpwS.gif

357456423.jpg

Yeah false alarm fortunately, I just came back yesterday from a 3 month break and I thought I was gonna have to quit again already!

Whoever is doing this will just sign their messages with a random Jmod's name now...

I do think people overreacted a bit though. If Jagex added microtransactions they would likely all be cosmetic, or as least not help you advance through the game faster, like they're currently planning with 8Realms.

I can't imagine Jagex doing something like selling gold, levels or epic equipment for a long time, despite how they're currently acting.

How was it done by a user when the spelling is exactly the same? >_>

Facebook display names and display pics don't have to be unique

How does one change their display name on facebook? I didn't think such a thing was possible. EDIT: I just went to look and I had to have a first and last name in order to change my display name. The only optional field was the middle name.

Display name might have been the wrong phrase to use but yeah I just meant your name which you can edit in account settings. Maybe you can use a blank alt code as your surname, or theirs some other way to hide your surname? Or they created the page as an interest so they didn't need one, and got around having the same name by making one of the letters an alt code or something.

Bbk.png

Display name might have been the wrong phrase to use but yeah I just meant your name which you can edit in account settings. Maybe you can use a blank alt code as your surname, or theirs some other way to hide your surname? Or they created the page as an interest so they didn't need one, and got around having the same name by making one of the letters an alt code or something.

That could work, I guess, but every name display change has to go through a 24-48hr waiting period for someone to approve the name change. I know I just tried creating a group called RuneScape and I couldn't actually post AS the group account. Didn't want to try with a page yet though...

I don't know it's just a bit fishy. None of their other posts are ever signed by mods on FaceBook, just twitter. Though I suspect that will probably be changing after tonight's mishap.

Eh.

hzvjpwS.gif

as far as I know they've yet to sell things of "use" in-game, such as levels or top of the line gear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about wow, but aren't mounts only obtainable from microtransactions? The day jagex starts selling horses or something I'm done with rs lol, it does seem dubious what they're doing like they're softening us up for bigger things to come. I miss when Jagex was about making a quality game, not store discounts, facebook offers and community focus and voting for them as developer of the year and other marketing crap like that, for every update now theres about 10 stupid newsposts like that :thumbdown: My theory is that they predicted a much bigger rise in players with the return of free trade, and when that didn't meet their expectations they started going all out on other ways to lure in players. I'm really worried about the auras update, I can see it now 'all you have to do for this exclusive +10% xp aura is reccomend 5 friends from facebook! Or how about the damage boosting aura, it's yours if you make a runescape youtube vid with 1000 views!'

Bbk.png

Did anyone notice the inconsistency? :P

RuneScape Hey all, we're hoping to offer this in other countries and retailers in future. The item comes free with a membership card purchase. You are buying the membership, not the item. -Crow

357456423.jpg

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Did anyone notice the inconsistency? :P

357456423.jpg

Hes fake!

But seriously thats like a drug dealer saying oh he bought some heroin yeah.. but he was only paying for a lollypop (or something similarly as stupid)

Currently - Slaying to 99!

Monkeyannie.pngMonkeyannie.png

[hide=Drops]Notable drops-

Dragon- 10 Platelegs / 3 Med Helms / 10 Plateskirts / 1 Spear / 3 Left Halves / 4 Claws / 3 Ruined Armour Lumps / 200+ Boots / 3 Pickaxes

Godwars- 1 Bandos Chestplate / Shard 1 / Shard 2 / 4 Sets of ancient robes

Barrows- 250M+ LOOT Including 10 Spears (back in the day) / Guthans spear and Dharoks helm in 1 chest (at the time it was worth 8M, a big deal to many people then lol) / 8 Guthans helms / 3 Dharoks helms / 4 Veracs Helms / etc.

Other Slayer stuff- Whips 20 / Dark Bows 3 / Granite Mauls 20 / Ranging Ammys 6 / 1 Visage (steel dragons) / 40+ effigies

I play on and off. I'll play the game solidly for a month then quit for the next 3, lol.[/hide][/size]

Some of you don't realise how facebook works. You don't need to give a last name if you create a "page", upload a picture the same as the official Facebook and then post on the RS official wall as that "page". That how someone did it.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The only thing that bugs me about this is that you only get the item if you specifically purchase membership by prepaid card from GameStop. Overall this is not really a big deal, but if they continue to promote events like this they might start down a slippery slope that could have a significant impact on the game.

Eternis.png