Vanity Items - RS Prepaid cards and Ornate Katana

Articultural

I swear that Jagex is being deliberately inflamatory with this.

If they had given this item to Diango to give out for free to members, nobody would give a damn. When I pay for membership, I expect to be able to access all updates that I have the valid in game levels and requirements for that exist in the game during the time for which I have membership.

I am assuming that Jagex had to offer some kind of promotion like this in order to get Gamestop to stock their cards (which would explain why it's not being offered with membership cards bought from other stores) and I find it very disappointing that and independant company with such a good history of standing apart from additional money-grabbing practices favoured by other companies (such as microtransactions) Jagex would sucumb to such demands.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone notice the inconsistency? :P

RuneScape Hey all, we're hoping to offer this in other countries and retailers in future. The item comes free with a membership card purchase. You are buying the membership, not the item. -Crow

357456423.jpg

I noticed it, but wrote it off as being "one hand not knowing what the other was doing."

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I noticed it, but wrote it off as being "one hand not knowing what the other was doing."

Actually, that seems to be the case at Jagex nowadays :mellow:

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I'm yet to see a valid complaint that isn't here say or rumour concerning Jagex's attitude towards micro-transactions. There is a good reason why Jagex rarely listen to the community when it rarely listens to them, making up it's own judgements without all the facts or knowledge, instead inferring things that are not there and do not exist.

Facts:

•  
  • This will not lead to microtransactions - Stated by Jagex many times
  • This is mainly cosmetic - Only beneficial to pures or incredibly low level members, and only for a very short time
  • This item will be available to other people by other methods later on - FAQ
  • There is not trend of micro-transactions - They have NEVER been done before

That is all we actually know. I'm fine with people having an opinion, but when it ignores the facts and seems as though no thought has gone into it, it is hard to take it seriously at all.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Marketing trick to make useless stuff wanted... only make it accessible by a select group, select group will buy item because they feel special (most of them)... the people who will not be able to get it will want it more then some time later make them able to buy it and voila sells like sex.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

So what is the Ornate Katana a promotion for? I've seen it be called a promotional item, but nothing about what it is actually promoting.

Eastern Lands next month? (Even though the current continent isn't done yet.)

Facts:

•  
  • This is mainly cosmetic - Only beneficial to pures or incredibly low level members, and only for a very short time

* Jagex has made a habit of going back on their word, changing what they have said and contradicting themselves. Just because they say it won't, there is no guarantee that it won't. Personally, I believe that this won't occur but you cannot claim that it is a "fact" just because Jagex has said so. They lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

* So what if it's mainly cosmetic or only beneficial to pures? There are huge portions of the game only dedicated to cosmetic rewards or with benefits to a minority. That doesn't mean that people don't have a right to care about or indeed complain about it.

* Why does this mean that people can't complain? If they gave everyone who paid for membership on a weekday a certain item, with the promise that they'd give the same item to people who paid on weekend at an unspecified time in the future, I believe that people would be justified in complaining as much as they are justified in complaining about people being given an item for paying in a certain way. All memberships are meant to be equal. If they want to create a "membership gold edition" then they should do so, not try and sneak it in through the back door.

* The fact that there is no trend of something doesn't mean that it cannot occur. About 3 times a month Jagex tried to introduce something new.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

Facts:

•  

* Jagex has made a habit of going back on their word, changing what they have said and contradicting themselves. Just because they say it won't, there is no guarantee that it won't. Personally, I believe that this won't occur but you cannot claim that it is a "fact" just because Jagex has said so. They lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

They may go back on their word on small things (off the top of my head I can't actually think of any though) but since day 1 they have been against Microtransactions and RWT. It is not logical to think they would now say otherwise.

* So what if it's mainly cosmetic or only beneficial to pures? There are huge portions of the game only dedicated to cosmetic rewards or with benefits to a minority. That doesn't mean that people don't have a right to care about or indeed complain about it.

I'm not saying people can't. I stated the fact that we know. Any deviation from that is just made up.

* Why does this mean that people can't complain? If they gave everyone who paid for membership on a weekday a certain item, with the promise that they'd give the same item to people who paid on weekend at an unspecified time in the future, I believe that people would be justified in complaining as much as they are justified in complaining about people being given an item for paying in a certain way. All memberships are meant to be equal. If they want to create a "membership gold edition" then they should do so, not try and sneak it in through the back door.

That is a valid complaint. Again, I stated a fact, not an opinion. Having an opinion on the fact is fine.

* The fact that there is no trend of something doesn't mean that it cannot occur. About 3 times a month Jagex tried to introduce something new.

It indeed does not mean it cannot occur, but it also means, along with their long standing stance against micro-transactions, it is no more likely to happen now that at any other time. Anybody who says it is the start of a trend, or continuation is totally fabricating it as it does not exist. Basing an opinion on that therefore is a bad idea.

My replies in Bold.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

They may go back on their word on small things (off the top of my head I can't actually think of any though) but since day 1 they have been against Microtransactions and RWT. It is not logical to think they would now say otherwise.

free trade

4e0Vn.png

Eastern Lands next month? (Even though the current continent isn't done yet.)

I have heard that for more than a year now. But you may be right.

Imagine if the Eastern Lands did come out. All the guys who bought the cards for the katana would be the cheesed off ones instead.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Imagine if the Eastern Lands did come out. All the guys who bought the cards for the katana would be the cheesed off ones instead.

I hope so. That would teach people supporting mmos who try to get you to pay more for a item, whether it's cosmetic or not.

ITT: Jagex sycophants blindly defending Jagex, even though they have a long and detailed history of duplicity and have proved time and again they don't give a rat's ass about their customers.

Kudos to everyone who refuses to buy into Jagex's BS.

td2sig.jpg

I support it, I might even buy a game card to see how it looks, and people really, it's all for looks. No stats, nothing, just vanity. I like the idea of micro-transactions, as long as they are not giving away super powerful weapons and spells. :shame:

Isaact20.png

Isaact20.png

I support it, I might even buy a game card to see how it looks, and people really, it's all for looks. No stats, nothing, just vanity. I like the idea of micro-transactions, as long as they are not giving away super powerful weapons and spells. :shame:

First page of this post. KB showed it has stats. It might not when it actually releases, but this means they considered it.

they have a long and detailed history of duplicity and have proved time and again they don't give a rat's ass about their customers.

The downward spiral accelerated when the Gower brothers took the backseat. When was the last time you heard anything solid from Andrew, hmm?

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Well, how about this: You can buy the stupid katana ingame for 5m gp, or you can get it for free through the promotion. And so it doesn't turn into backdoor RWT, make the vanity items untradable (obviously).

The biggest reason I'm opposed to this is because I don't think there should ever be ingame items that aren't acquirable by ingame means. If you can't quest for it or save your rsgp for it, it shouldn't be ingame, period. I wouldn't even mind if they introduced a full fledged cash shop as long as you could also buy the items for ingame currency. I don't want RuneScape to turn into a game like MapleStory where the only people with awesome outfits are the kids whose parents are most easily squeezed for cash.

Not that anyone has so far argued against this, but I'd just like to point out for those unaware that this is entirely in-line with how Gamestop operates when you preorder a game from them.

You'll often get an in-game item that you can use from the very start. It'll give you a slight advantage over others at the beginning, but often also be outclassed quickly.

Also often there will be a multiplayer advantage, but from the games that I've owned that got this, the advantages didn't hold much significance.

I think that this was meant to target people people blissfully unaware of RuneScape. Membership cards are the only "tangible" product they can sell in stores. However, anything on store shelves is good advertising.

In a way, I feel a little prideful that RS is finally in the biggest store for gaming, standing among the "real" games.

2dgucz6.png

The first time I bought condoms I thought it would be awkward to buy only condoms (idk why I thought that) so while waiting in line I grabbed a Slim Jim. After looking at the Slim Jim and box of condoms sitting on the check out counter, it suddenly seemed MUCH more awkward than if I had just bought condoms only.

Lol'd

OT: [bleep], we're doomed, Jagex is becoming EA. Seriously, I hadn't known their gimmicks had degenerated to cash grabs. The Rune Fest banners were bad enough, but at least those were items that are specifically in reference to that event. Now we have to go out and buy overpriced game cards for membership time we probably don't need or prefer to pay with via credit card to get a cosmetic item that people would actually want?

No, you don't have to go out abd buy overpriced game cards. All you have to do is read what they are saying and wait a little longer.

Mod Nexus: The Katana is going to be used for a promotional period with game cards to begin with; and will be used for other offers in the future (including other payment methods).

35b9enp.jpg

"Other offers", in other words more of the same. Maybe next time they'll give you the katana when you purchase $10 or more in the Jagex store (And $8 more for shipping!), or when you sign up for FunOrb membership, or when you complete some faux survey for one of their partners which is really only a thinly veiled attempt to get your contact information so they can send you a boatload of spam. Whatever it is I don't care. If there isn't an ingame alternative for getting the katana, I'm against it.

Some of you don't realise how facebook works. You don't need to give a last name if you create a "page", upload a picture the same as the official Facebook and then post on the RS official wall as that "page". That how someone did it.

That is the one thing I didn't try, creating a page. I said specifically that I only tried groups and regular user accounts. I wasn't aware that groups could have duplicate names for different types. That would be why I was asking. :P

This is mainly cosmetic - Only beneficial to pures or incredibly low level members, and only for a very short time

I'm sure by release time it will actually and truly be a cosmetic item--ie no stats--but for now it is not. And if it gives anyone an advantage, no matter how small the numbers, wouldn't you say that's a poor practice for a company that has stated repeatedly that they don't want to give people advantages?

hzvjpwS.gif

ITT: Jagex sycophants blindly defending Jagex, even though they have a long and detailed history of duplicity and have proved time and again they don't give a rat's ass about their customers.

I'm hardly one to defend Jagex, but really. People are blowing this out of proportion. It's a low level item which will have very little, if any, effect. In a way, it reminds me of the mass hysteria surrounding the climbing boot change. People just want something to complain about.

I'm hardly one to defend Jagex, but really. People are blowing this out of proportion. It's a low level item which will have very little, if any, effect. In a way, it reminds me of the mass hysteria surrounding the climbing boot change. People just want something to complain about.

but theres actually lots of legitimate stuff to complain about (macros and jagex's ineptness in stopping them) - This is an odd move from the company.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

People seem to be acting like it gives low levels a real advantage. News flash!: it won't. And if you were a defence pure, you'd be able to raise your attack level without gaining a combat level so long as you were careful, giving you far, far more options.

I'm not an efficienado.

free trade

This. Hell, they were asked about it like a week before the free trade vote [cabbage] happened and were still saying, "We do not, will not, be bringing back the wildy and free trade."

Jagex's word means nothing more then that of a 3 year old.

09144a99bb.png