Vanity Items - RS Prepaid cards and Ornate Katana

Articultural

Why do people care? Most of you didnt quit when they took away free trade, so you will still play when you can buy top end gear. Stop crying and start saving up, since non of you have the will power to truly quit.

Bonus lulz if you make your money to buy Jagex Shop items when they come out by selling runescape gold :thumbsup:

I didn't quit because it wasn't important to my play style. There's a famous saying about making assumptions..

hzvjpwS.gif

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's still an arrogant statement to tell people to "Save up".

I spend enough on collectibles to buy whatever the piss jagex throws at me, but not everyone can afford to. This game is your honda civic of gaming, it's a low end mmo, and the second money in real life is allowed to make a difference you have fragmented your userbase imo.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I spend enough on collectibles to buy whatever the piss jagex throws at me, but not everyone can afford to. This game is your honda civic of gaming, it's a low end mmo, and the second money in real life is allowed to make a difference you have fragmented your userbase imo.

Not denying that I was being rude and arrogant to say that, but when it comes down to it if Jagex started sellling 24 hour double xp sessions I guarantee people will be throwing money at them.

Im personally against it but when it comes down to it id continue playing and I wouldn't care if I fell behind the standard of people buying their ranks. After all if this game is for fun who cares about who buys success. Much like I dont care about people botting as is. Like it or not its becoming clear this is the direction runescape is going, and if you are willing you might as well make the best of it.

And i'm sure people would buy 99 skills for a few hundred dollars just like farmville sells no wither spray for a premium. I think if a company makes such an adamant stand agaisnt RWT that they cripple trade for what, 2 years? offering microtransactions is a slap in the face for everyone around that era. The game was built on the principal of hard work (ie, clicking until you die) and although it's flawed and about as fun as cutting your wrist at times, changing it 10 years into it, would only cause severe backlash, I'd rather jagex legalize macroing than allow microtransactions.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I'm not really a fan of this because it'll just show what will happen in the future. I know it doesn't give you an advantage, similar to the Runefest banner, but the whole principle that you have to pay to get an in-game item, even if it's cosmetic is a bit of a slap in the face.

Holiday events are a whole different story because it requires activity in the game in order to achieve the item/benefit.

j0xPu5R.png

I don't see why so many people think that this is an issue. It's a bit presumptuous to link this to MT. There currently is no "trend" despite whatever biased evidence you have suggested. Bonus items like this are very common across the industry, and it's a bit naive to assume that jagex shouldn't use them as well.

The item in question does not impact the game in any great way. While the bonuses are higher than anything currently existing, most member accounts use higher than steel weaponry. Additionally this has no impact on pking (which IMO should be the only complaints aimed at the advantage). Additionally, it is a far leap to say that there will be items on par with gear that costs more than 1k coins.

After reading this entire thread, two types of posters come to mind:

1. Those who frankly don't give a damn.

2. Those who wish to voice other grievances through speculation.

lxl_bluesky.png

Going to a store to purchase a prepaid card while I have my credit card paying for Runescape membership just in order to get some ugly ass sword so I can LARP all day long with my friends. No thanks.

This is why I play other games. At least when I report bugs in other games, the devs give me special, one-of-a-kind rewards. What do you get from Jagex when you report bugs? [bleep] all.

And i'm sure people would buy 99 skills for a few hundred dollars just like farmville sells no wither spray for a premium. I think if a company makes such an adamant stand agaisnt RWT that they cripple trade for what, 2 years? offering microtransactions is a slap in the face for everyone around that era. The game was built on the principal of hard work (ie, clicking until you die) and although it's flawed and about as fun as cutting your wrist at times, changing it 10 years into it, would only cause severe backlash, I'd rather jagex legalize macroing than allow microtransactions.

Well said.

----

I think Jagex should only give special items to people as rewards for reporting things such as gamebreaking bugs, but surely not for paying extra out-of-pocket cash...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I don't see how this is a big deal, in a way runefest is the same thing. Pay for a service and you get a free ingame reward.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Oh Jagex... How low can you go?

RS has been for the longest time a game where everyone had a fair playing field (or at least, a fighting chance for anyone) - no matter how much money in the pocket, no matter how good your computer was, no matter whether you were on dial-up or a T1 connection. Not to mention the rampant RWT/bots that are largely tolerated now, even Jagex is now blalantly doing a microtransaction while being a complete hypocrite about it. What's next? A free torva piece with 12 month membership card? It's just a free gift with membership!

..... :(

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

I'm really sad you didn't add something about about rice and microtransactions to that analogy

When Jagex give you microtransactions, don't buy Katanas! Make Jagex take the microtransactions back! Get mad! I dont want your damn microtransactions! What the hell am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see Jagex's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give RuneScape microtransactions! Do you know who I am? Im the girl whos gonna burn your company down! With the microtransactions! Im gonna get the staff to invent a combustible transaction that burns your company down!

Humour aside, I don't think standing here and going 'oh, well it's not microtransactions really' helps, because one day it WILL be.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

When Jagex give you microtransactions, don't buy Katanas! Make Jagex take the microtransactions back! Get mad! I dont want your damn microtransactions! What the hell am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see Jagex's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give RuneScape microtransactions! Do you know who I am? Im the girl whos gonna burn your company down! With the microtransactions! Im gonna get the staff to invent a combustible transaction that burns your company down!

Humour aside, I don't think standing here and going 'oh, well it's not microtransactions really' helps, because one day it WILL be.

Lol cracked.

But you're right, this is how it starts. Then it's special decorative armor for buying through paybysms. Then it's a new spell for RS book preorders, then buyable POH decorations, then double xp 'charms', then buyable cash, then before you know it, the new double-katana with 350 slash damage and a 150 str bonus, buy it now for only 1000R$ (Only 19.95!).

and when it comes theres a 7/10 chance you will still be playing no matter how much you are against it. [i made up that number right now]

Maybe for the general population that's true, personally I won't be - that's for sure. RuneScape was already losing it's draw for me before this bs.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Why in the hell are people embarrassed to play Runescape? Its a hobby.. Are people embarrassed to play xbox/ps3/pc games? Should I be embarrassed of other hobbies and things i like to do? Archery? Shooting my gun? Collecting pokemon cards at 26? (I want to catch them all... again :shock: ) Am I the only person that could walk into a store and buy condoms without having to build up courage for 3 weeks?

+9001

Anyway, in the long run this update could be a bad thing, or it could be a neutral thing, but I don't see how could it be a good thing.

2qcigdz.png

Anyway, in the long run this update could be a bad thing, or it could be a neutral thing, but I don't see how could it be a good thing.

You don't see how it could be a good thing? Don't get me wrong I don't like what they're doing but I see why they did it, the same reason developers offer exclusive items in xbox games if you preorder. It gets some more interest in the game, makes it stand out in store and gets more people to buy it. The item itself is useless it's just a way to get them some new members, and more money to work on updates. Believe me the day jagex does microtransactions I'll never go near runescape again, and I don't trust jagex as far as I can thow them but this is different, jagex is a business they're just trying to get some new people interested in their game, with an item that doesn't really give an ingame advantage. That said though I hope this a one off, if theres a new item like this once a month or something I'd be pretty pissed

Bbk.png

If they're just trying to get new people interested in the game, then why not simply offer the katana as a promotional item for anyone who buys members this month? Why limit it just to game cards bought from one store, in one country, and for one time frame?

It seems to be an extremely limited, if not outright foolish, was of trying to promote the game.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Haha, i am paying for my membership since 2003 and i got nothing.. it's good i'm still paying $5 not $6

I had a disturbingly pessimistic thought when I read that: perhaps JaGex is trying to temp some of the long term subscribers into opting out of an automatic renewal to buy a 90-day game card so that when they go to resubscribe through their credit cards they are no longer locked into the lower rate.

Now they can buy that new ivory backscratcher. :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

This really isn't a big deal. Microsoft does the same thing with Microsoft Points. GameStop does it with pre-ordering games, which I'm sure many people here have done. It's no different, so just get over it.

EDIT: God forbid someone that has to spend extra money to play the same game doesn't get a little something extra for their troubles. Members have the loyalty program. Paid for a long time? Here's a little something extra. Same concept.

EDIT: God forbid someone that has to spend extra money to play the same game doesn't get a little something extra for their troubles. Members have the loyalty program. Paid for a long time? Here's a little something extra. Same concept.

God didn't have to forbid it because JaGEx already did on that last bit. Everyone starts on a clean slate when the loyalty program is released, so none of the previous years anyone has paid will matter.

I really like your avatar by the way...

2dgucz6.png

Katana out now?

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101