The Firemaker's Curse - 11 - Jan

Carl

Finished the quest. Enjoyed it except for the "new training method." If anything, those 10 mins could have been used elsewhere for much faster exp gain. Unless I'm missing something, I won't be going back there. I will however enjoy the other training that came out of this and my new pet. Definitely worth getting to 91 firemaking just for the pet alone. :)

The book itself can be activated for a length of three minutes a day. During this time, any logs that you step on will be immediately incinerated into ash, and double the exp for that log will be gained.

Meanwhile, two more events have unlocked at the circus...

I was majorly dissapointed when I discovered the book only works once a day. I think it should be once an hour or something. Daily is just ridiculous.

The circus events are pretty cool, I was pleasantly surprised to see they didn't require a minimum of 91 firemaking. I got the firemaker top and bottom, and I think they look pretty fly. Anyone know if there are any other pieces to the set?

I haven't 91 firemaking yet, as you must've realised, so I have no comments on the new training method. I hear you can only do it once a week, is that really true? Anyone know if it's even worth it? Though I saw some of the new pets, they look pretty interesting. Shame you have to feed them, just like every other pet...

As for the quest itself, I loved it! I'd go into more details on how much I loved it, and why, but I'd rather avoid spoilers for now. That, and I'm just lazy...

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very boring and annoying quest. However the XP reward made up for the time "wasted", so I guess it's all good.

Wasted... Haha...

I liked it, even though cave-quests aren't my favorite.

I was majorly dissapointed when I discovered the book only works once a day. I think it should be once an hour or something. Daily is just ridiculous.

The circus events are pretty cool, I was pleasantly surprised to see they didn't require a minimum of 91 firemaking. I got the firemaker top and bottom, and I think they look pretty fly. Anyone know if there are any other pieces to the set?

I haven't 91 firemaking yet, as you must've realised, so I have no comments on the new training method. I hear you can only do it once a week, is that really true? Anyone know if it's even worth it? Though I saw some of the new pets, they look pretty interesting. Shame you have to feed them, just like every other pet...

As for the quest itself, I loved it! I'd go into more details on how much I loved it, and why, but I'd rather avoid spoilers for now. That, and I'm just lazy...

Nice :)! I only got acrobat stuff from circus, and Ringmaster from the non-fm ones. Do you remember what score you got them at?

The new training method at the training cave isn't worth it at all. The pets also don't need feeding :); they probably don't even have mouths.

icecube7.jpeg

Definitely a mixed bag for me. I found the puzzle with the oil lines and the spark thingies tedious, but the agility course was engaging. Still, I never actually understood [hide]why Char was trying to kill the firemakers in the first place. Sport?[/hide]

bad writing

queste.png303/324

Any idea if the book of char does anything or is it just an emote?

edit- and if anyone els is wondering you can store all 4 pets in the managery

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Nice :)! I only got acrobat stuff from circus, and Ringmaster from the non-fm ones. Do you remember what score you got them at?

The new training method at the training cave isn't worth it at all. The pets also don't need feeding :); they probably don't even have mouths.

Iirc, I got both at ~750 points (i.e. doing the usual xp only performance). Judging by that, I'd say that they are in the same slot as the acrobat clothes...

goro.png
[spoiler=Skill level siggies are a so 07]tipit_siggy.png

[spoiler=Thoughts on the quest]The copy-the-pattern puzzles were about as dumb as you can be. Really really easy to light all the fires, just have to guess-and-check the colors (the tick-tack-toe one took me a lot of guesses since there's no real logic to it.) The jumping around puzzle was okay. Not good, not bad, just standard fare.

The choices and storyline made the quest interesting without having to have interesting gameplay mechanics. I liked it, but people that don't care for storylines won't. It's a personal thing - it adds a lot to the quest for some people, and adds 0 (not positive, not negative) for some people.

The boss - this was by far the most enjoyable boss of any kind I've ever fought in RS (and I've fought all of them except nex). I encourage people to do it with no food no range weapon no run energy booster to keep it as interesting as possible (That's how I did it, though I used soul split. No soul split, you may need a tiny bit of food or uni). It was very much a boss fight out of a zelda game, and I only compare quests to Zelda when I like them. The only thing I'm confused about is the sparks. They seem to do nothing, and weren't necessary, so after half the fight I stopped caring about them.

As usual, I don't care much about rewards, and so the suckiness doesn't bother me.

For those who haven't done the boss fight yet, I recommend trying it with no gear, no items (or a bit of food, perhaps) at first. If you have trouble, then consider trying some of the tricks, but I think it's less fun that way.

podv4.png

spoofer: that question reminded me of someone who was obsessed with the color and the fruit, on these forums.

On topic: I didnt manage to kill the boss last night, couldnt figure out how to tackle the boss down lol. Will try again later.

PS does the number of people at the end affect rewards?

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

spoofer: that question reminded me of someone who was obsessed with the color and the fruit, on these forums.

On topic: I didnt manage to kill the boss last night, couldnt figure out how to tackle the boss down lol. Will try again later.

PS does the number of people at the end affect rewards?

The choices you make ultimately have no effect on the reward and post-quest stuff. It simply adds a layer (interesting and enjoyable for some) to the quest.

podv4.png

And possibly a reflection on your deductive and perception skills, both of which I grossly overestimated. I was confident that I would be able to save all of them before I started the quest, thinking it would be bloody obvious. It turns out I made a LOT of wrong assumptions (such as never possessing a person more than once) and got more of them killed than I liked to admit >///<

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

The things you're supposed to pick up on have to do more with the personalities rather than anything else, although in one of them Char actually does get the feel right, but makes a factual error.

This is why it's important to talk to everybody whenever you can. It's kind of a trap when they tell you that you can go in right away from the surface entrance, since later on you won't have the chance to find out what they said up top if you just blow past that part, and you NEED to know what they said.

8f14270694.jpg

The things you're supposed to pick up on have to do more with the personalities rather than anything else, although in one of them Char actually does get the feel right, but makes a factual error.

[hide]Is this for Twig? Because in one of the rooms, I remember that it was really hard to tell which of them was acting oddly. In the end I tied up Flint, EVEN THOUGH he said Twig was acting a bit oddly, I guessed that it was him because he said he wanted his name on the discovery >_<. Felt really bad later when Flint was all tied up, and his daughter, Lina, was killed.[/hide]

Is it actually possible to save Phoenix from being killed at the start?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

That's what I made my error in, I did not expect the entrance dialogue to have such a profound effect that it would affect later decisions. Although I have to admit, I make my errors because even to my close observation, I didn't know the character enough to know what kind of personalities they had, and how it differed.

In my first one I had to guess between the 2, I tied up the wrong one, and turned out the other was the correct one. If I knew to take a closer look at their personalities, I would have got it.

I got my second one right, I thought it was pretty obvious when the personality of a person flipped 180 degrees.

the third and forth were both disasters, as I had not expected Char to possess someone she already possessed before, so I felt embarrassed.

tim_chenw2.png

As you might have noticed, the newspost says that they'll (mostly) stay alive with the right choices, which indicates that the Phoenix's role as glorious leader is as short lived as it is ironic.

The third is supposed to be a pretty big hint for the fourth's possibility of a repeat offense (one of the people even mentions that in their clues), plus during the fourth the culprit both loses their signature trait and breaks a pattern that was established throughout the entire dialogue.

8f14270694.jpg

Well I found an interesting use for the Twisted Firestarter: Stopping red chinchompa bots from picking up the boxes that have chinchompas inside them. :twisted:

I actually spoke with the firemakers before starting down into the cavern and made some notes too, so I managed to keep everyone alive. :thumbsup: Well, except poor Phoenix. :( That was out of my control.

The quest itself was okay I guess. The rewards are awesome though, but I really expected more than just a puzzle-filled quest. I guess Jezzball-like challenge was interesting, but overall this quest didn't really excite me much at all in terms of what we had to do to progress through it. The dialogue did have some interesting points though...

Hrm, Char did mention something about the crystal city... Does this mean we're gonna see something there one day, finally?

The room with the oil and lot of enemies was awful. It was boring, took a long time and I didn't even understand what to do, but it was still so damn easy it was so boring.

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

Hrm, Char did mention something about the crystal city... Does this mean we're gonna see something there one day, finally?

We've known there will be something there for ages; it's been confirmed that we have 2 or 3 more quests in elf series and that we do get into the city.

More interesting is what did Zaros want with Seren?

How will Char & Azzandra work together?

Is the Elf Dark lord (empty lord?) referenced Zamorak as was always presumed, seen how he was slaughtering elves in this little tale?

And the nice affirmation that Zaros isn't an evil god persay; Char is ashamed of killing innocents in the name of Zaros.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue