The Firemaker's Curse - 11 - Jan

Carl

The things you're supposed to pick up on have to do more with the personalities rather than anything else, although in one of them Char actually does get the feel right, but makes a factual error.

[hide]Is this for Twig? Because in one of the rooms, I remember that it was really hard to tell which of them was acting oddly. In the end I tied up Flint, EVEN THOUGH he said Twig was acting a bit oddly, I guessed that it was him because he said he wanted his name on the discovery >_<. Felt really bad later when Flint was all tied up, and his daughter, Lina, was killed.[/hide]

Yes, on the surface, Twig tells us that Twig is his nickname that he picked for himself (and acknowledges that it might not have been the best choice for a firemaker :-). When he's possesed for the second time, Char gets his personality right but thinks that Twig is his actual name his parents gave him...

goro.png
[spoiler=Skill level siggies are a so 07]tipit_siggy.png

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the Agility Course. Wish more agility courses were like it. Having to time jumps so you don't get hurt or knocked off.

Aye. It was certainly more interesting than the typical agility course. Though I'll be the first to admit I was pretty bad at it; I died twice on this section before really getting the hang of it, and that was with frequent uses of my EE to restore hitpoints.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Oh, yeah, the deal with the possessed firemaker was clever. I think I got overconfident when I passed the first two tests, because the third and fourth one I failed horribly. The worst one was when [hide]Lina was killed, because Flint cared so much about her. I almost felt like I'd needlessly caused the deaths of two people.[/hide]

~ W ~

sigzi.png

FAQ is up.

One particular gem from this one:

Why can we only visit Char's training cave once a week?

Mod Ana: The XP given for each pattern created was balanced to be a suitable reward for visiting for 10 minutes each week. Unfortunately, on release the XP being given was 10x too small. This has now been resolved, so hopefully the activity should be much more rewarding and visiting once a week should be enough. :)

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

FAQ is up.

One particular gem from this one:

“Why can we only visit Char's training cave once a week?”

Mod Ana: The XP given for each pattern created was balanced to be a suitable reward for visiting for 10 minutes each week. Unfortunately, on release the XP being given was 10x too small. This has now been resolved, so hopefully the activity should be much more rewarding and visiting once a week should be enough. :)

That's good. I'm glad they're trying to come up with new ways to train skills that offer decent xp rates. Even if it is only once a week.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Why all this focus on "now YOU do X for Y time, then you do Z for B time"... Really with all those weekly things there's nothing left for choice..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Why all this focus on "now YOU do X for Y time, then you do Z for B time"... Really with all those weekly things there's nothing left for choice..

Of course there's a choice, don't do the weekly things if you don't want to do them.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

On the whole, I don't think I will use this weekly event with Char. I will stick to my daily dose of evil (elder) trees and maybe use the new circus event. I've already got enough "daily" and "weekly" [clan] activities to keep me busy ...

nyuseg.png

10x too small?! Give me my xp please! So that's about 7.5k per diagram. Not bad. I don't like the mechanics of it to make it worth my effort, but hey, if someone wants to jump on it, go for it. I'll stick with the circus event instead.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

The only thing I can say I dislike about this is the seemingly synonymous "training method" and "D&D". A weekly event is not a viable training method. It's fun, it's nice, and it's cool to have exp for it...but I highly doubt anyone will approach them with the mindset of "I will only do this from level 74 to 99 from now on"

hzvjpwS.gif

That is true. We've come to the point that D&D becomes a weekly/daily activity while "training" becomes something that is completed at anytime, not really having any type of regulation. But I mean, that's just because we've put it to those terms. It really is a distraction and diversion if you think of it that way that it does divert you from the regular course of gameplay to interact with it. Never thought of it that way but it does make sense and I understand the confusion. :P

Also under what reward base are we putting the Book of Char under? I hope a good method comes out of practice with it. In due time no less. I think that's all it needs is some time to get used to it and figure out how it is best used.

That is true. We've come to the point that D&D becomes a weekly/daily activity while "training" becomes something that is completed at anytime, not really having any type of regulation. But I mean, that's just because we've put it to those terms. It really is a distraction and diversion if you think of it that way that it does divert you from the regular course of gameplay to interact with it. Never thought of it that way but it does make sense and I understand the confusion. :P

I don't see where the mystical journey to those terms is coming from; pretty much from their first experience d&ds have had the 1 unifying factor of a time limiter on some/all of their reward.

In rs we've always trained any time we like, then we had a minigame that offered weekly xp (Tears of Guthix)

Then a big deal was made about the very first Distraction & Diversions (Pengs, circus and stars if memory serves) that offered some xp rewards but in a limited fashion. Be it time limited or limited on trade ins (in the case of stars)

Tears of Guthix got moved to this category and ever since every once a week, once a month, once a day 'event' offering xp has been a distraction and diversion and uses that map icon.

'Training' has never come close to being something so limited in frequency because Jagex has specified all such release as D&Ds, aside from Tears of Guthix which original was a mini-game but still was sperated from normal training by this classification.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Why does Char call it a training method as well as the news post say that you will unlock a new training method? That brings me to believe that the firemaking diagram is supposed to be the training method but if what you're stating is correct, it should be labeled a D&D, which is what I was agreeing with, thus why it shouldn't be called a training method which Kim brought to light.

Why does Char call it a training method as well as the news post say that you will unlock a new training method?

It's written by Jagex, that's why. :P

Your argument is valid. Carry on scapers.

Why does Char call it a training method as well as the news post say that you will unlock a new training method? That brings me to believe that the firemaking diagram is supposed to be the training method but if what you're stating is correct, it should be labeled a D&D, which is what I was agreeing with, thus why it shouldn't be called a training method which Kim brought to light.

I totally agree with that; just you said training has come to mean... while D&D has come to mean... (paraphrased)

And I didn't follow where they are supposed to of 'come to mean' these things, as that implies they didn't always, given both have been pretty set in stone since they first appeared.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Loved the quest (aside from the annoying fight at the end) and ended up losing 3 people (1 on purpose). Like Kimberly said, my only strife is that they have a rather loose way for defining new "training method". 8/10 for its quality.

Loved the quest (aside from the annoying fight at the end) and ended up losing 3 people (1 on purpose). Like Kimberly said, my only strife is that they have a rather loose way for defining new "training method". 8/10 for its quality.

One on purpose? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

One on purpose? :unsure:

Some people are just dark. :wink:

How did you force a particular person to die in the quest? It didn't seem like you could control it unless someone told you ahead of time?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

How did you force a particular person to die in the quest? It didn't seem like you could control it unless someone told you ahead of time?

From what I seen it basically kills huever you tie up (if they are not the killer) with the exception of Emmett and Sera(?) as they run the circus events.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I accidentely killed Lina, because at one of the moments Flint was acting like "Have you been talking to Lina about this???" and didn't really tell about his past. Which made me think that Char controlled him, but as she didn't know what Flint did in his past days, and thus asked us, the player, if we've been talking to Lina, to know if it is safe to tell about his life (because we could easily spot the fake stories between Lina and Twig then). I feel pretty bad for it... :s I do know that it was kinda odd that Sera wasn't talking about Vulcanius, but Flint seemed so more possesed. :s

I tied Flint up for suspecting someone because he wanted to be neutral in the first room. That didn't work out so much either.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted