Squeal of Fortune "Updates" was: Spin Results (970 spins)

NukeMarine

Your "study" is only valid until the next time Jagex changes the squeal, probably next week. By all means buy spins if you want to gain xp, coins or cosmetics but let's not pretend it's research. We'd get much better data if just a few hundred people on tipit recorded their results (from the 2 or 3 spins) into a database daily than any single person buying hundreds of them.

Yet, nobody is doing that are they? I honestly don't care what his reasons are for buying spins, if he's providing data that's informative for other players then does it really matter?

• Like 2
Sylpheed.png

It's only informative until the next game update though. Jagex are constantly tweaking the rewards and order of "common-ness". Perhaps a form on tipit should be made where people can submit the results of their spins into a database, that would be infinitely more useful.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It's only informative until the next game update though. Jagex are constantly tweaking the rewards and order of "common-ness". Perhaps a form on tipit should be made where people can submit the results of their spins into a database, that would be infinitely more useful.

^^That would be pretty useful in the sense of research being conducted. People could lie about whatever they please as well so it's kind of blegh.

It's only informative until the next game update though. Jagex are constantly tweaking the rewards and order of "common-ness".

Then gathering any data of any sort doesn't matter, honestly.

Let's stop gathering data please, this is dumb enough already just because it relates to the SoF.

And to all who say that people are trying to justify buying spins, I'll agree without doubt.

You don't need to research this for reasons stated above, along with the fact that on a day-to-day basis of 2/3 spins, it really does not [bleep]ing matter that much what you're gonna get.

You also help support the squeal of fortune by doing this, congrats to you.

PLEASE JUST MAKE LIKE/DISLIKE BUTTONS FOR TOPICS, KIM. PUSH IT FORWARD PLEEEEEEEASE..

553VriC.png?1

No offence, but I agree with Ren. The pro's of doing "research" on SoF are largly outweighed by the cons. Namely Jagex using those players to justify the SoF as "good content".

I would like to know how many rares were hit in 450 spins, but really even that is subject to change on a weekly basis. Doing research on rates of something that changes every week seems pointless.

Edited by Kimberly
Removed quote of a rulebreaking post

If anyone is actually waiting on my spin data, I have about 170 left to do and will figure out how to post an excel document for you all.

Edited by Kimberly
Removed quote of a rulebreaking post.

wessan.png

I would like to know how many rares were hit in 450 spins, but really even that is subject to change on a weekly basis. Doing research on rates of something that changes every week seems pointless.

I'm not sure if the odds for hitting a specific slot change, though. So if they add an item to the rare slots, it won't make rare items any more common. In that case, the research is pointless for an entirely different reason: it's been done.

If you're talking about specific items, then yeah, no point because it changes by the week.

I'm not sure if the odds for hitting a specific slot change, though. So if they add an item to the rare slots, it won't make rare items any more common. In that case, the research is pointless for an entirely different reason: it's been done.

If you're talking about specific items, then yeah, no point because it changes by the week.

Thing is nobody knows if they tweak the rates slightly every week for the slots or if new items affect the slots in any way.

Really tell me: what benefit does it have for the gameplay if people can buy their victory?

A challenge for those who want a challenge

It could be compared to the ability to change the difficulty of pretty much any other video game. If I play a game on easy, it usually doesn't have an effect on the experience of a player who plays on hard, though that won't stop the hard players from attacking those who play on easy.

Of course, that argument doesn't really work when there's only one high scores table for both groups, and most players play for ranks. Would people be as opposed to spins if buying even one pack put them in a different set of high scores? Jagex could even say it's for "premium" members or something equally doublespeak-ish to justify the split.

Thing is nobody knows if they tweak the rates slightly every week for the slots or if new items affect the slots in any way.

Then all the data would do is show whether or not the odds change, which actually could be useful. Any other setting and that would be worth testing.

Hey, he's buying them to 'gather data' anyway, might as well use it :razz:

Really tell me: what benefit does it have for the gameplay if people can buy their victory?

Next thing you know, people will be harassing high levels for buying their way to the top. Like "lol u botted ur skills" wasn't enough.

Let the dedicated people be the best at the game, not the people who spend the most money. There are enough games like that already.

Then all the data would do is show whether or not the odds change, which actually could be useful. Any other setting and that would be worth testing.

It would show if the odds change IF there was A LOT of data. 450 spins wouldn't cut it. :P

I'm not saying to ignore his data. I'm saying it feels like more harm will come from it than good.

ON TOPIC:

If the guy who spent the money for spins is happy then that's good for him and if the data helps others that's splendid. I simply do not care one way or another. Competition is what you make out of it. However, the Hi Scores table has been a joke for years.

Wall of text, a bit off topic:

I am a retired player. I started in Q4 2001 off and on player til 2005, was 75% retired for 3 years and had one last run at it from Fall 2008- July 2011 and retired again forever. I came back to Tip.it to check back on things (after I looked up the latest RS news) since it was and has always been my favorite RS website.

Here are my opinions/observations over the years (I'm sure someone can say I'm all wrong and whatever but this is my perspective):

RuneScape started out as a free game only as I'm sure most of you know. Then Membership came out and Jagex was really cool about it. The game was only ad supported before that and they wanted to expand the game. If you wanted to support them and get maybe 20% (at the time) more content or so so they could grow the game, no problem - go ahead - 5 bucks a month and a big thank you. How much impact did Members have on Free initially? Some, but really not too too much (imo - this is arguable though). Free and members kinda went their own ways but plenty of people were super pissed when they announced this. Then RS2 came out and some mistakes were made with the content (I thought RuneCrafting was horrible due to Runeflation) but they were still okayish(?) to the players. And, again, plenty of people were super pissed when they announced this. I wanted to stick to "RSC" but the statement that they were not going to put anymore content into it was a punch to the stomach and forced me over. Over the years the game ebbed and flowed with good and bad updates each resulting in people being super pissed but the customer support (it was never very good :razz:) care for the players seemingly grew worse and worse and worse. This is not a new phenomenon, it is a trend intertwined with different vocal factions wanting to keep their version of the status quo (I was in that crowd more often than not) when presented with change.

HOWEVER, people need to keep in mind this game is 11 years old and the track record for MMOs lasting this long not to mention their integrity is not that great (WoW might eventually change that.) At some point in your "career" the developers are going to do something you'll cringe at and maybe even quit because of and you'll be really mad/frustrated because you've put a lot of energy into your character and can remember the good times - or, remember the game at your happiest.

There has been RWT since the beginning and people have been for and against it since the beginning. Now I don't know all the details but most of you against RWT/buying your way through should be thankful that the prices for RWT have increased with the crackdown on goldfarmers (I assume - knowing Jagex - it's pretty minimal), the jacked up prices offered by Jagex, and the big ol' thumbs up to buy gold - from them - as a safe and "legal" option. (Unless I am missing something here).

On inflation of gp: People have been suggesting gold sinks for over a decade.

Another point... I see a lot of you complaining about Jagex cramming stuff down your throat, i.e. SoF updates every 35 seconds. Well... Jagex has gotten more obnoxious each and every year. I mean, look at how their website designs have changed. Good grief. This, I think, is the biggest takeaway.

TL;DR: The dude and others spent their money on something I wouldn't, oh well. The game is getting older and probably worse. People have been super pissed at Jagex for 11 years. RWT is more expensive now?

Next thing you know, people will be harassing high levels for buying their way to the top. Like "lol u botted ur skills" wasn't enough.

Let the dedicated people be the best at the game, not the people who spend the most money. There are enough games like that already.

It would show if the odds change IF there was A LOT of data. 450 spins wouldn't cut it. :P

I'm not saying to ignore his data. I'm saying it feels like more harm will come from it than good.

Exactly. 450 spins wouldn't show anything. The error would be close to, if not greater than, 100%.

Done spinning. With double spin tickets and the daily 3, it ended up being over 500. Cant really do it all in one day when you have work and stuff, Anyway, 4 rares, no super rares. Other info to come when I finish getting some numbers.

• Like 1

wessan.png

Information in my Google Document linked here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnSBZtLBTKp6dGNTMFhvYkRpWVN4TDNpRXJRZGhiT3c&output=html

I'm sorry if posting that link is out of line with the rules. That is the only way I could think of sharing the document.

Also, I did not take the time to count common and uncommon prizes. Too much info for me, feel free to do with it what you will. I think it is editable.

wessan.png

Thanks for the info. Much more detailed than mine (I would not have the patience to mark all that down). Here's a breakdown

Total: 506

Common: 364 (71.9%)

Uncommon: 137 (27.1%)

Rare: 4 (0.8%)

Very Rare:

Small XP (all / specific): 120 / 46 (23.7% / 9.1%)

Medium XP (all / specific): 65 / 28 (12.8% / 5.5%)

Large XP (all / specific): 0 / 0

Pendant (all / prized): 16 / 2 (3.2% / 0.4%)

Double Spins: 25 (5.0%)

Average GP potential per spin: 14,217 gp (during double gp phase)

GP per Dollar rate: 71,085 gp (black market is over 2 million)

The split between common, uncommon and rare meshes with my initial results so Jagex is keeping that part untouched. Your double spins are higher while common lamps are lower so it's possible Jagex skewed those recently. As others point out, it's difficult to get a good grasp on the specific odds since Jagex is likely tweaking it too much. However, it seems close enough to have a rough XP per spin calculator made up.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Funny part about "marking it down" is that so many items repeat it was a lot of Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V for that spread sheet. :)

I think I will do another 100 sometime when the double coins dies down.

Also, has anyone noticed you can gain only 15 spins in your queue through allowing the daily spins to build up?

wessan.png

I don't mean spin tickets. I built up 15 about a week or so ago through logging in and not using the spins and they built to 15, but stopped after that. Stayed at a stagnant 15 for a couple days til I used em. I may have "earned" the spins I guess and that's why they hung around, but I could swear they came from daily count.

wessan.png

I don't mean spin tickets. I built up 15 about a week or so ago through logging in and not using the spins and they built to 15, but stopped after that. Stayed at a stagnant 15 for a couple days til I used em. I may have "earned" the spins I guess and that's why they hung around, but I could swear they came from daily count.

Seems more likely they came from earned spin tickets from skilling/combat/D&Ds, the spins your allocated daily don't carry over, they get taken off you and reallocated upon server reset. Or you keep say Monday's spins and lose Tuesday's for example.

Also there limit has risen it seems, used to be capped at 10 spins you could hold at one time.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Seems more likely they came from earned spin tickets from skilling/combat/D&Ds, the spins your allocated daily don't carry over, they get taken off you and reallocated upon server reset. Or you keep say Monday's spins and lose Tuesday's for example.

Also there limit has risen it seems, used to be capped at 10 spins you could hold at one time.

I never tested that as I assumed they disappeared. Can someone in addition to Wessen verify that the three spins you get upon logging in do carry over?

If true, the only benefit I can see this having is saving up more spins for the week-ends when Jagex releases some bonus benefit.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Afaik they do carry over. I saved some spins when I was f2p and had an agility lamp stuck in the SoF. I would've noticed getting any spin tickets.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Afaik they do carry over. I saved some spins when I was f2p and had an agility lamp stuck in the SoF. I would've noticed getting any spin tickets.

I think you do have to log in to claim them though, they don't accumulate unless you do log in that day. (and *most* people who log in will spin the wheel immediately, hence they don't accumulate like people want, that is accumulate whether you log in or not)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014