Squeal of Fortune "Updates" was: Spin Results (970 spins)

NukeMarine

Random thought: does it sound unplausible that, on average, 10% of members spend say $50 a month on SoF? That's an extra 5m a month, assuming 1m members. (CBA to look it up.) Now, Jagex makes what, 8m a month from members? (Assuming 1m members and somewhere around 1m a month.)

That's over a 50% profit increase.

Now, keep in mind I'm just pulling these numbers out of my ass, but it seems very plausible that the SoF SIGNIFICANTLY increased their profits. Even a 10% increase in their profits from the SoF would be significant and be worth continuing the SoF for.

Again, I'm just making these numbers up. But it's very easy to imagine how the SoF would have significantly increased their profits.

1.) That number doesn't sound feasible. Most FTPMMO's w/ micro transactions, or even FTP games don't have 10% who spend 50 bucks a month. I'd say more like 1-3% spend that much if that. Now, I'd say 10% buy 5-20 a month.

2.) Making up numbers no matter how feasible they may seem, and drawing a conclusion from said made up numbers, is asinine.

Speculating on numbers is one thing. Drawing conclusions from unverifiable numbers is another.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

1.) That number doesn't sound feasible. Most FTPMMO's w/ micro transactions, or even FTP games don't have 10% who spend 50 bucks a month. I'd say more like 1-3% spend that much if that. Now, I'd say 10% buy 5-20 a month.

2.) Making up numbers no matter how feasible they may seem, and drawing a conclusion from said made up numbers, is asinine.

Speculating on numbers is one thing. Drawing conclusions from unverifiable numbers is another.

Would you mind verifying those numbers? :twss:

Not (entirely) to troll or anything, a lot of online games are going F2P with microtransactions these days, and it seems to be working much better than subscriptions. At least one game seems to be able to provide the kind of map/equipment update that you'd pay $15 for on Call of Duty for free, at a very frequent pace.

Would you mind verifying those numbers? :twss:

Not (entirely) to troll or anything, it seems like a lot of online games are going F2P with microtransactions these days, and it seems to be working much better than subscriptions.

Well, first of all, as stated I didn't draw a conclusion from the numbers speculated, which was my beef in the first place.

Numbers were from some articles I read recently, but I don't remember where. It was talking about LOTRO and GW2 and their business model however.

In a game like league of legends, I've spent around 50 dollars, maybe a little less, on skins and champ packs.

In Diablo 3, I've made over 600 dollars on the RMAH, with a 100 and 200 dollar sale, and a few 50+.

But people dropping 100+ dollars at a time, or a large amount every month are fairly rare.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

I think 10% of members spending money is too high, as well as the number of 50 dollar. I think al of members that would buy spins do it only once, just to check, while only a small proportion regularly spends money on it. Of course, nobody has the correct numbers except for Jagex, but this is way too high. I don't think SoF increases income for Jagex by 50%, although I think it does add substantially.

New business model for games should be invented. One that respects game balance but also provides decent income for the developers.

If Guthix was real he would destroy Jagex. Having money grants you better content in Runescape. Such concepts always destroy the balance between players.

And honestly it's very sad that people spend money on a game when they can spend it on food, charity or other important things.

New business model for games should be invented. One that respects game balance but also provides decent income for the developers.

If Guthix was real he would destroy Jagex. Having money grants you better content in Runescape. Such concepts always destroy the balance between players.

And honestly it's very sad that people spend money on a game when they can spend it on food, charity or other important things.

That logic is flawed. By your logic any money spent on entertainment should be given to charities, spent on food, or "other important things".

Problem is, it won't be. Disposable income is spent on things we want but don't strictly speaking need. If I don't spend 50 dollars on this game, I spend 50 dollars on movie tickets, fast food, and a book.

Likewise people give money to charity without it preventing them from spending money on games.

There are times where people spend too much on games true. That doesn't mean everyone or even most people do. People make and have various amounts of money after all. Spending 50 dollars on a game may seem silly to me, since I'd rather spend it on books or a different game I don't own, but to someone who only plays one game, and that game is the majority of their entertainment, 50 dollars might be nothing.

Example, I spend the majority of my disposable income, slight as it may be being a college student, on books and the occasional game. If I'm loving RS, I'd have no problem dropping 10 dollars because I want to. Doesn't mean its stupid.

TL;DR, your argument is wrong, rendering your opinion of no worth.

Besides, what other business model do you want? A lot of sub. based games have microtransaction purchases. Wow has pets, mounts, and TCG items. FTP games depend on them, like LOL and Tribes with skins, bundles, packs, and boosts. Games that cost money to buy but no fee use them. Look at HON and the upcoming GW2.

There really aren't that many options:

1.) Make people pay up front

2.) Make people pay monthly

3.) Make (or enable) people to buy items/boosts/etc

or a combination of all 3. What alternative is there really?

Stonewall337.png

I admit, the 50% increase was a bit overboard. I'm sorry, I should have picked more realistic numbers.

Let's try that.

2% spending $50 a month is 1m a month increase . 10% spending $10 a month is also 1m increase. Now, Jagex charges like 8 bucks a month for membership, and there are probably under 1m members. If it's over it probably isn't much over. With these numbers, SoF increases their income by like 10%-15%.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I admit, the 50% increase was a bit overboard. I'm sorry, I should have picked more realistic numbers.

Let's try that.

2% spending $50 a month is 1m a month increase . 10% spending $10 a month is also 1m increase. Now, Jagex charges like 8 bucks a month for membership, and there are probably under 1m members. If it's over it probably isn't much over. With these numbers, SoF increases their income by like 10%-15%.

Its still speculating and than drawing conclusions from guessed numbers, which is kind of dumb.

Just say Jagex is making money off it. Which they are, unless they are losing more members than they gain in SoF income (Which I doubt).

Stonewall337.png

Let's try that.

As of this post, there are 1,6m members. (1'648'553 to be exact)

8 dollars per member: 13'188'424 dollars.

2% would be 32971 people spending 50 dollars on spins in one month. Seems rather high, but that comes out to 1,6m profit so 10% more profit.

I don't know really. I guess it is 10% (assuming the numbers are correct) more than they would have had, but at the cost of annoying a large amount of players.

I'd rather not think about it. I see it as a waste of money. :P

From a quick run through of the high scores, it appears that easily over 300,000 of those are free trial adbots :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

From a quick run through of the high scores, it appears that easily over 300,000 of those are free trial adbots :P

Didn't realize those were put on the highscores. XD

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like it's been a while since they've updated the squeal.

Pendants of Skill!

16 hours ago

On the Squeal of Fortune this weekend, Yelps is offering increased chances to grab Pendants of Skill: new wearable items allowing you to earn up to a 3x XP boost for a specific skill. They come in two fetching varieties: Pendants of Skill and the even juicier Prized Pendants of Skill.

Pendants of Skill double the XP earned in their associated skill, up to an amount of bonus XP equivalent to a large XP lamp. If you’re really lucky, you could grab yourself a Prized Pendant of Skill that will triple the rate you will earn XP when worn, for as much bonus XP as you'd get in a huge XP lamp.

The amount of bonus XP each pendant contains is dependent on the level of your relevant skill when you claimed them. Once these pendants are exhausted, they will degrade and can be kept as a nice cosmetic keepsake.

The pendants will be available from tomorrow (Friday 27 July), only via the Squeal of Fortune.

As Yelps is feeling particularly generous, anyone who spins this weekend will have a greater chance of bagging one! From Friday 27th to Monday 30th inclusive (GMT) Pendants of Skill are in Common slots and Prized Pendants of Skill in Uncommon slots. After this weekend Pendants of Skill move to Uncommon and Prized Pendants of Skill move to Rare slots, so get spinning this weekend!

Don’t forget that members get two daily spins instead of one, so subscribing is a sound way to double your chances to win per day. Check out our Squeal of Fortune wiki page for more ways to get extra spins.

Good luck!

The RuneScape Team

Discuss this here.

This is what, 20-50k in a skill, depending on the necklace? In their defense, it's better than lamps.

Really tell me: what benefit does it have for the gameplay if people can buy their victory?

In rs you receive victory if you get to a certain goal in xp/wealth. So with buyable xp/wealth, people can buy the victory condition. It wouldn't be a problem if those who buy would not interfere with those who don't: however this is the case & by buying they make certain commodities more common - either directly by buying it, or indirectly by having easier time collecting it. Which result in those who collect that commodoty to have a negative experience.

On top of that it damages achievements: already I forgot about the race to 200M xp because of this: from the data I see & the little bits I collected myself you get around 10k xp per dollar spent. So maxing the difficult skills would be possible for only 1000 euros?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I agree. If they replaced all the medium and above lamps with items of this nature I think most players would be happy. The XP boost is the same, but the player still has to take part in the skill.

The problem might be with players banking the items for later 99 use (much like dragonkin lamps). A solution there could be if a player levels up a skill, he loses one skill pendant of that skill that's in his bank or inventory but all the remaining are upgraded to reflect his new skill level. So he could bank up pendants, but there's a penalty for not using them if he still is leveling skills without them.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

The problem might be with players banking the items for later 99 use (much like dragonkin lamps). A solution there could be if a player levels up a skill, he loses one skill pendant of that skill that's in his bank or inventory but all the remaining are upgraded to reflect his new skill level. So he could bank up pendants, but there's a penalty for not using them if he still is leveling skills without them.

It's not as big a deal when you are limited to a 2x or 3x boost but still have to do the skill. It would mean that daily records are only 3x what they were. It would never breach the effigy "daily record" wall, because those you could actually open lamps and get xp super fast. I don't see the issue of being able to store the xp necklaces. Records would already be by bxpw anyways since those lasted longer than the 24-30 hr days that trackers used.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

It's not as big a deal when you are limited to a 2x or 3x boost but still have to do the skill. It would mean that daily records are only 3x what they were. It would never breach the effigy "daily record" wall, because those you could actually open lamps and get xp super fast. I don't see the issue of being able to store the xp necklaces. Records would already be by bxpw anyways since those lasted longer than the 24-30 hr days that trackers used.

To further expand on this, the amount of XP a necklace gives is set when the necklace is claimed from the SoF and is based on your current skill level. This amount doesn't change regardless of levelling the associated skill, so saving the necklace until level 99 doesn't buy you anything. Kind of like the implementation, pretty well thought out.

Have the courage to change the things you can, the patience to accept the things you can't, and the wisdom to know the difference.

[/Quote]

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that is difficult because they cant get large sets of spins at once. My goal is to record the value of "Convert to Coin" and how much you have the potential to make on average per spin. 250+ spins in shows its about 15k average value of a spin. More to come.

Oh, and I got a Prized Pendant of Prayer. I am pretty excited about that.

wessan.png

Your "study" is only valid until the next time Jagex changes the squeal, probably next week. By all means buy spins if you want to gain xp, coins or cosmetics but let's not pretend it's research. We'd get much better data if just a few hundred people on tipit recorded their results (from the 2 or 3 spins) into a database daily than any single person buying hundreds of them.

• Like 2

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12