Squeal of Fortune "Updates" was: Spin Results (970 spins)

NukeMarine

We care because sof gives players an advantage. Tf2 hats are cosmetic.

Though the shop also sells useful weapons :razz:

The actual difference is that you use the weapons to play the game. Few people play TF2 to collect weapons or hats. Meanwhile, on RS, you buy spins and get experience or money, which you use to get items or ranks, and many people on RS play to get items or ranks.

I stopped respecting anyone who bought spins, and so should you.

Technically, if you're a member, then you bought 30 spins whether you used them or not. Yeah, it's unavoidable but it's there. Should everyone stop respecting members again as elitists with too much money? I mean $7.95 is a lot of money to a kid that's not working.

That said, I get the feeling this is the mindset of a majority of the vocal minority:

* "Anybody with a lower level than you is a noob. Anybody with a higher level than you has no life"

* "Anybody who spends less time than you is lazy. Anybody who spends more time on RS than you is addicted."

* "Anybody who spends less money than you is a cheapskate. Anybody who spends more money than you has no sense."

It's an interesting phenomenom. People tend to define the limits of a problem or disability in a way that they're not in that group.

PS: If anything, the SoF is not worth it for the returns you get which is like paying $30 for a Big Mac. It's made worse as the only legal game in town. So Jagex encourages people to pay extra to get more xp in the game, which means more people now have that mentality. All of a sudden, paying less for xp or gp from less than legal areas seems attractive to people that before didn't think about using anything other than time to advance their characters. Time will tell.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I don't think you can consider that an advantage... or at least, not an advantage worth complaining about. If only people could just accept the fact that inequality is inevitable..

People are just looking for drama/shit to complain about, and SoF provides that on a weekly basis :P

Can't believe how close-minded some TIFers are these days :blink:

77yLQy8.png

I don't think you can consider that an advantage... or at least, not an advantage worth complaining about. If only people could just accept the fact that inequality is inevitable..

People are just looking for drama/shit to complain about, and SoF provides that on a weekly basis :P

Can't believe how close-minded some TIFers are these days :blink:

I so much support this post.

I like how so many people are willing to gather data about something useless like this, instead of something more important.

I log pretty much everything that I do ever in Runescape in some manner or other. If I was goign to shell out for an asston of spins I would damn sure log that.

Some people are just awesome like that.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Muggiwhplar; you know damn well that there is a whole slew of issues that the majority has with the SoF...

Sort-of almost deconstructing the reasoning behind one issue (a minor one at that in my opinion), makes the SoF's existance as a whole far FAR from absolved...

You do realise this, don't you?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Muggiwhplar; you know damn well that there is a whole slew of issues that the majority has with the SoF...

Sort-of almost deconstructing the reasoning behind one issue (a minor one at that in my opinion), makes the SoF's existance as a whole far FAR from absolved...

That is suggesting your opinion onto someone else.

Of course there is the issue with Jagex shoving the SoF down people's throat but they are also a company. Their main aim is to obviously make profit and these new owners have done a fair bit for the game since they took over.

Also, I don't see the problem of someone buying spins, the money/xp is quite costly anyway and if people value their time better spent working and then throwing £10 - £20 on SoF, what is the problem?

To say the SoF causes lots of problems is narrow minded and gives off the attitude that you did everything the slow way so everyone else should.

Robbstarkded.png

I understand everybody hates the SoF.

My point is that they're overreacting. You get two free items a day. If you want to pay money, you can get more. If you don't want to "waste" your money, then don't buy more. As far as other people go-- what they choose to do with their resources is none of your business. People would be less upset if they worried more about themselves and less about everybody else.

And if this SoF issue is upsetting everybody that much, then they have the option to quit and choose a game that offers better gameplay and customer service. It's pretty obvious that Jagex isn't going to significantly change their ways any time soon. Either deal with it or get out. I don't have any sympathy for the people complaining about an issue that they can choose to abandon at any given time.

The people complaining about these updates are usually the ones that are too lazy/stubborn to adapt to change.

77yLQy8.png

If you guys think something should be merged here's a thought: report it instead of constantly bumping it up for no reason with meaningless posts.

Please exercise common sense and, more importantly, common courtesy. No one wants to see spam.

PM me if you have any questions, I'll set to merging these topics now.

Aaaaand welcome back. I've merged the update thread with the SoF spin results thread for a few reasons:

1) This seems to be where the best quality of continual discussion has been taken place, courtesy of the members of the community and the topic creator putting aside some heated feelings to produce a good environment - Thanks for that btw!!

2) This discussion has a better chance at surviving in an existing thread, rather than idle speculation on a short sales flyer/newspost that will soon get buried.

3) To help the community deal with the overwhelming discussion on this topic! literally, it's everywhere. This is as condensed as it can be considering how often SoF updates are bundled in with actual game content updates. I'm sorry if it gets frustrating but that's what it's going to be until the community as a whole gets over the new trend. Just like anything else, it takes time to move on from it.

And I'd like to remind you all:

If you see SOF discussion cropping in where it doesn't belong (say about...I dunno, a smithing rework) and it sidetracks discussion, report it! We'll come a-runnin' to fix it and direct conversation back to where it needs to be. :)

Thanks!

hzvjpwS.gif

My point is that they're overreacting. You get two free items a day. If you want to pay money, you can get more. If you don't want to "waste" your money, then don't buy more. As far as other people go-- what they choose to do with their resources is none of your business. People would be less upset if they worried more about themselves and less about everybody else.

And if this SoF issue is upsetting everybody that much, then they have the option to quit and choose a game that offers better gameplay and customer service. It's pretty obvious that Jagex isn't going to significantly change their ways any time soon. Either deal with it or get out. I don't have any sympathy for the people complaining about an issue that they can choose to abandon at any given time.

The people complaining about these updates are usually the ones that are too lazy/stubborn to adapt to change.

I don't know about the others, but the reason why I hate the SoF isn't because of the fact that it's a cashgrab (admittedly, I never liked companies that do things for the money), but because this is not part of the values I used to respect in Jagex. I used to respect Jagex a lot because they were willing to say "Look, we understand free players don't like membership stuff, so we won't be stuffing them with messages to become a member". I will get a lot of hate for this, but I also liked the balls Jagex showed when they tried eliminating nearly all rule-breaking on that fateful day on Dec 10, 2007.

Then they sold their souls to the Devil (I don't even feel like I'm exaggerating one bit). They pulled a full 180 and started posting membership benefits every way I am looking, they started "silently" promoting RWT, they relaxed on the botting rules to the point that I can't cut a single damn yew tree, and then I see Jagex saying that they still "listen" to the players. They aren't listening to us, they are listening to the jingling of our wallets.

In short, I feel cheated. It's like that moment in the hospital when the doctor tells you it won't hurt one bit, then the next 5 seconds are excruciatingly painful as the nurse misses the vein.

22031_s.gif

I can understand that. And if I took RS as seriously now as I did back in like 2006, I'd probably agree with you. But when you play as infrequently as I do, the crap that Jagex pulls these days really don't bother you anymore, because you don't take RS seriously enough to care. And I believe more people would be better off with a mindset like that.

77yLQy8.png

Majority? More like a very vocal minority. From what I've seen, most of the players complaining about the Squeal of Fortune are disgruntled "veterans" living in the past. I commend Runescape for avoiding the micro transactions game model for as long as they did, but honestly, it is not a bad thing. Plenty of successful companies like Valve and Riot make players' gaming experience "easier" for those willing to pay. There's nothing wrong with that. The fact that people are upset at others for not grinding experience exactly as they did is an elitist perspective. This is comparable to players with 99 Runecrafting who camped Entrana or ran Natures bashing those who utilized Runespan.

At the end of the day, people who buy spins are helping keep Jagex afloat. You know, the makers of the game you obviously enjoy playing enough to complain about on a fan site. And until Jagex starts selling power or charging for new content on top of a monthly membership fee, those against micro transactions have no legitimate gripe.

At the end of the day, people who buy spins are helping keep Jagex afloat. You know, the makers of the game you obviously enjoy playing enough to complain about on a fan site. And until Jagex starts selling power or charging for new content on top of a monthly membership fee, those against micro transactions have no legitimate gripe.

Should it come down to this, though? I respect Jagex enough to say that this scenario would most likely not happen, but looking at what they've started doing with the SoF, they aren't that far away from reaching this point.

22031_s.gif

Should it come down to this, though? I respect Jagex enough to say that this scenario would most likely not happen, but looking at what they've started doing with the SoF, they aren't that far away from reaching this point.

Selling power or charging for new content on top of a monthly membership fee is a sure fire way to get large amounts of players to rage cancel their subscriptions and or riot. SoF has only received vocal opposition by primarily older players on various forums and small scale protests. Some players cancelled their subscription, but plenty of others are still spinning (including myself). Oh, and Mod Rathe and friends at Jagex are against selling power, so I don't see this being a problem any time soon.

You wasted $200 for nothing. Loads of other people have posted their spin logs and you could add it all up together and average out to detemine the approx percentage rates for spins without having to fork out money and do it yourself.

Exactly. You're just trying to justify having spent $200 on nothing. The fact that you bought spins encourages Jagex to create more ways to charge money for ingame items.

saw the quoted reply, skipped everything else in the thread.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Jag is trying to slowly condition us to microtransactions. Their goal is probably to introduce a full-fledge cash shop eventually. Some people have already accepted the SoF and are even defending it. Some of the arguments I'm reading are pretty much the same stuff I've heard people on F2P games say to justify spending thousands a month buying power-ups. Let's hope RS doesn't get to that point.

2480+ total

You wasted $200 for nothing. Loads of other people have posted their spin logs and you could add it all up together and average out to detemine the approx percentage rates for spins without having to fork out money and do it yourself.

Exactly. You're just trying to justify having spent $200 on nothing. The fact that you bought spins encourages Jagex to create more ways to charge money for ingame items.

saw the quoted reply, skipped everything else in the thread.

I can appreciate the lack of desire to wade through five pages of replies, but this has been answered by others. I even state it myself in my first post that what I did will in a small way encourage Jagex to try this again in the future. Would it have been too much to ask that you read at least the first post since you are directing the comment at me?

As for the $200 being spent on nothing, there are those that HATE the SoF that'll disagree with that. To them, that $200 bought an advantage them. Now, I don't think the advantage is that large (likely 17 hours leveling agility) but it is there. However, that advantage is not worth the $200. So to anyone that hates the SoF, they should be happy that spins cost so much. Only people with large disposable incomes will consider using such a service consistantly. If Jagex made SoF cheap enough to compete with bots and gp farmers, a majority of players would abandon their noble positions and make purchases.

So, SoF is gaudy. It's overly advertised and overly incorporated in aspects of the game it just does not belong. However, it is expensive so the number of players using it and impacting the game's economy will be minimal. Certainly NOWHERE near the impact botters and gold farmers have had over the years.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy

Aaaaand welcome back. I've merged the update thread with the SoF spin results thread for a few reasons:

1) This seems to be where the best quality of continual discussion has been taken place, courtesy of the members of the community and the topic creator putting aside some heated feelings to produce a good environment - Thanks for that btw!!

...Snip...Thanks!

I edited the title and added a note to the first post to kind of reflect this.

nukemarine.png

For me, its more I dislike the emphasis put on the Squealscape. Put pets/cosmetic items for sale on a Jagex store is K. Making people buy random spins to hopefully win the items they want is kinda ehhhh.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

For me, its more I dislike the emphasis put on the Squealscape. Put pets/cosmetic items for sale on a Jagex store is K. Making people buy random spins to hopefully win the items they want is kinda ehhhh.

I agree entirely. The reason they would rather use the wheel is because nothing is guaranteed. If someone doesn't get the full set of items for the price they paid, they'll have to spend more to get it.

I agree entirely. The reason they would rather use the wheel is because nothing is guaranteed. If someone doesn't get the full set of items for the price they paid, they'll have to spend more to get it.

It prey's on the same desires as gambling addictions.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

For the life of me, I don't understand why people take issue with how someone you'll more-than-likely never meet spends their money. It doesn't affect you any, outside of some psychological/mental/whatever you want to call it discomfort you get from the idea of someone "buying" items and or levels. If someone wants to dish out $200, or even $20,000, for the chance to win something nice (or even purely out of boredom), I say more power to them.

Anyway, I figured the SoF was a total rip. I'm content to just get my daily free spins plus whatever free spins I get. It's not an exact log, but in like 15 spins I've gotten a dragon ceremonial hat or whatever it's called and 500K. I'm not sure how rare those are, but whatever.

I just wanted to add here that I would no longer be surprised if Jagex decides to release a cash shop soon. As much hype as they're creating about the SoF, with plenty of updates every month for it, I doubt they will stop focusing on rwt updates. I don't think the SoF will disappear now. I don't hate it as much as when it was released...I have kind of got used to it now, and pretty much given up a bit. I still agree with Ts_Stormrage though. SoF doesn't belong in RS. Especially not the buyable spins part of it. Keep fighting, Ts, and all of you other who keep doing a great job to protest.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak