Behind the Scenes: Special Edition

Leik

2012 has brought many great updates, and it’s far from over. In fact, with Player-Owned Ports and a Grandmaster-level quest topping the bill, you might say we’ve saved the best till last.

TzHaar Quest: The Brink of Extinction (very high level)

In the conclusion to this exciting storyline, you must find out why the TzHaar city is cooling down, or else it’s certain disaster for these noble creatures. What part will the Ga’al play in their future, if there is to be one? It’s a Grandmaster-level quest with some of the most challenging combat ever to grace the realm, and epic rewards to boot!

Player-Owned Ports (very high level)

Avast me hearties! Fancy trying yer hand at runnin’ your own port? Or are ye a lily-livered land lubber? Arr! That it be!

In this huge, high level content(one of the biggest projects this year) you’ll have the chance to equip ships, hire captains, build your own shipyards and send of your cut-throat crews to explore the fabled, lore-rich eastern lands. Bounties beyond your wildest dreams await!

Christmas 2012: Stray Dog (all)

The Varrock dog has never had a good life. It’s been kicked, burned and even had raspberries blown at it as it skulks off to the nearest corner. It’s a sad tale, and if any character deserved a happy Christmas, it’s the Varrock dog. Get involved with giving it a Christmas it will never forget!

God Statues (all)

In this Distraction & Diversion, you’ll be invited to help a keen artist construct scaffolding to support his latest creations – magnificent sculptures dedicated to a range of gods. Get the scaffolding and location right and you’ll reap the rewards, but if you get it wrong, who knows what abominations you may end up creating?

Early 2013

Grandmaster Level Quest (very high level)

It’s huge. It’s related to the gods. It’s going to change Gielinor forever. It’s got fantastic rewards to unlock and is frankly one of the most exciting, game-defining tales we have ever worked on. For many, this will be the update they have dreamed about for many years.

Kalphite King (very high level)

A sinkhole has appeared in the desert, revealing a previously unknown kalphite hive. Within each generation of kalphites, one egg is unlike any of its siblings, and even the queen can’t control it. Groups of the most elite warriors will need to band together to bring down this foe, working for powerful new equipment and lip-smacking loot.

Wilderness Warbands (high level)

Something lays hidden, deep within the Wilderness, and it’s so important that the gods have tasked their strongest officers to hunt it down. But since when did gods work together to achieve their aims? It’s going to end up with one almighty fight! Raid their war camps using your non-combat skills or get set to bring some old fashioned pain to these rampaging recruits!

Ranger/ Slayer Dungeon (high level plus)

Still in its early stages of development, this environment aims to provide the perfect home for rangers to train their high level combat and earn new top-end equipment.

And Beyond...

RuneScape: Next Gen (all)

Featuring our innovative new browser-based technology and with big investments in graphics and gameplay, RuneScape is set to take a monumental leap forward in 2013. Higher visual and audio fidelity, improved camera mechanics and a much more customisable interface system are but a taste of what you can expect.

New Skills (all)

Two brand new skills await you in 2013, with one new resource collection skill and a support skill which will be modelled on some of our oldest and dearest content. Designed to suit the old-school, yet complement the entire game.

Epic Story Conclusions (various)

Pirates, dwarves, gnomes, desert gods, vampyres, workshops, heroes, dragonkin, monkeys... so much to choose from, and that's just the tip of the penguin iceberg! Help us to define which to work on next by letting us know what your favourites are.

Construction Rework (all)

Our plans for user-generated content are just beginning to culminate in a sequence of mind-blowing updates to the Construction skill. Build and hold forts with your friends as you defend the realm! Bring your finely built, graphically updated houses to the main game world! Design dungeons and invite hardy dungeoneers to crack them!

World Events (all)

World Events will be your chance to make sure that you and your allies make your mark on the world itself. Fight for what you think is right using both your brain and brawn! The world will truly be your oyster as you help reshape Gielinor - your way!

Level Up my Stuff (all)

The ability to actually level up your equipment while training would be great! You could even customise that equipment by choosing from a range of buffs and bonuses that not only effected your stats but also the cosmetic look of the equipment - perhaps even name it. We wouldn’t limit ourselves to only allowing combat equipment to be levelled – far from it. It could affect your training gear like axes or hatchets; even summoning creatures, too.

Bosses Galore and Grouping Systems (all)

Finally, with the new EoC we can add all those amazing ideas for bone crunching, player slaying behemoths, for both groups and solo adventurers. Of course, nobody likes hanging about waiting for groups to appear, so we’ll need to give you an awesome grouping system to help you find that ideal team, instead of just standing around and shouting a lot.

Please note that some of these updates are simply glints in the eye of the design team right now, and are far from completion. Hurdles and issues that come up in development can often change the way a project comes together, so these - as always - are subject to change.

Nevertheless, we'll be doing everything we can to bring all of the above - and more - to you over the next year. I hope you'll agree that it's looking awesome already!

Have fun!

Mod Mark

Design Director

RuneScape

• Like 1

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

If these things are actually very high level as they claim them to me, then I'm glad. Lately, despite having epic quests (Ozan's for example) they've been a bit of a let down combat wise due to their noob level requirement, I'm all up for these high level updates, not so sure about the level my stuff though...

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Well we have confirmation that ports are considered high level at 91+. So if anything else is branded with the same label, it's probably reasonable to expect 88+ for that content.

This is a thrilling post and it has me very excited for the months to come. Now please, don't los this momentum! Keep trickling little bits here and there to keep us gnashing our teeth in anticipation. That's the stuff we truly love! Overall, love this post. Love this method used to talk about future content (the construction D&D for example was confirmed in the HLF I think just a day ago, this allows for better advertisement).

<33333

hzvjpwS.gif

Tzhaar quest: Seems quite nice, I love them lil' fellas! Be interesting to see how this one ends up..already know that we aren't gonna get full access to the city (big door north of the main plaza in Tzhaar cave) because they mentioned we weren't gonna get access to it when it was last updated.

Player-owned ports: DO WHAT YOU WANT CAUSE IS PIRATE IS FREE, YOU ARE A PIRATE! I'll be on a mission to become the world's greatest swordsman! ;) (Reference to both my RS name and a fantastic anime) Also, Eastern Lands!!!

Christmas: I like Christmas...mainly because it shows the new episode of Dr. Who!

God Statues: They could be quite interesting...probably cosmetic awards for POH or such?

Grandmaster Quest: From they way they word it, I can't help but think of it being something to do with Kudos Island...I mean many have been waiting ages for it! :P

Kalphite King: BOSSING@

Wilderness Warbands: Sounds like it could be fun, let's see how it plays out though..wonder if we get to find whatever is hidden in the wilderness..

Ranged slayer dungeon: It sounds beautiful :D

Next Gen RS: I'm gonna keep my eyes on this one for sure, be interesting to see how they change the game even more.

New skills: SKILLING SKILLING SKILLING SKILLING SKILLING SKILLING SKILLING etc.

Quest-line conclusions: I'll be sad to see an end to some of the mentioned storylines but I'll be happy just to see them keeping the quests alive! :P

Construction rework: OH THANK GOODNESS I HATE THAT SKILL.

World events: Probably end up like them 'Goblin Raids' :/

Level up my stuff: Sounds like a barrel of laughs :D

Bosses galore: MOAR BOSSING!

Though I'm still wary as to why they've told us this early...don't they usually wait until around this time in Dec. to tell the players of plans for the next year? Maybe want to keep people interested after the EoC is live.

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

That is one pretty amazing list. I guess it just goes to show that they were obviously holding out on releasing this kind of content until the EoC went live. If it is being released a little prematurely I can understand why they wanted to get it out the door.

On the GM quest being released next year, expect it to be released around the start of January if not the first week of 2013. The reason being is; in the lore live stream Mark stated that next year the in-game year will change for the first time from 169 to 170 so it would tie in nicely as a start of year update and January has traditionally (recently anyway) had some pretty big updates.

Anyway, looking forward to PoP's more than anything, closely followed by all the God related stuff next year, if all the content mentioned makes it in next year I can easily see it being one of the best years the game has ever seen.

• Like 1
Sylpheed.png

TzHaar Quest: The Brink of Extinction (very high level)

In the conclusion to this exciting storyline, you must find out why the TzHaar city is cooling down, or else it’s certain disaster for these noble creatures. What part will the Ga’al play in their future, if there is to be one? It’s a Grandmaster-level quest with some of the most challenging combat ever to grace the realm, and epic rewards to boot!

Sounds good.

Player-Owned Ports (very high level)

Avast me hearties! Fancy trying yer hand at runnin’ your own port? Or are ye a lily-livered land lubber? Arr! That it be!

In this huge, high level content(one of the biggest projects this year) you’ll have the chance to equip ships, hire captains, build your own shipyards and send of your cut-throat crews to explore the fabled, lore-rich eastern lands. Bounties beyond your wildest dreams await!

Sounds stunning, I hope it's available to all players, possibly even free? That'd be quite cool, lets hope it doesn't fall at the release to peoples actual expectations, I'm assuming it'll be a similar concept to the KoM.

Christmas 2012: Stray Dog (all)

The Varrock dog has never had a good life. It’s been kicked, burned and even had raspberries blown at it as it skulks off to the nearest corner. It’s a sad tale, and if any character deserved a happy Christmas, it’s the Varrock dog. Get involved with giving it a Christmas it will never forget!

I'm not entirely bothered about this update, however, they must put a Christmas Event in so I'm sure it'll be quite simple.

God Statues (all)

In this Distraction & Diversion, you’ll be invited to help a keen artist construct scaffolding to support his latest creations – magnificent sculptures dedicated to a range of gods. Get the scaffolding and location right and you’ll reap the rewards, but if you get it wrong, who knows what abominations you may end up creating?

Not bothered about this either, I think all DandD's are a waste of time both for us and them (designing, coding, testing, etc).

Grandmaster Level Quest (very high level)

It’s huge. It’s related to the gods. It’s going to change Gielinor forever. It’s got fantastic rewards to unlock and is frankly one of the most exciting, game-defining tales we have ever worked on. For many, this will be the update they have dreamed about for many years.

Zaros!? Hopefully mind-blowing.

Kalphite King (very high level)

A sinkhole has appeared in the desert, revealing a previously unknown kalphite hive. Within each generation of kalphites, one egg is unlike any of its siblings, and even the queen can’t control it. Groups of the most elite warriors will need to band together to bring down this foe, working for powerful new equipment and lip-smacking loot.

Very interesting, maybe this boss will have 3-forms, compared to the Queen's 2 forms.

Wilderness Warbands (high level)

Something lays hidden, deep within the Wilderness, and it’s so important that the gods have tasked their strongest officers to hunt it down. But since when did gods work together to achieve their aims? It’s going to end up with one almighty fight! Raid their war camps using your non-combat skills or get set to bring some old fashioned pain to these rampaging recruits!

Has great potential, but as it's in the Wilderness, I'm sure it'll be interupted by PKers (just like Agility-training).

Still in its early stages of development, this environment aims to provide the perfect home for rangers to train their high level combat and earn new top-end equipment.

Interesting concept, I wonder how they'll make this simply non-attractive to Melee Combattees.

Featuring our innovative new browser-based technology and with big investments in graphics and gameplay, RuneScape is set to take a monumental leap forward in 2013. Higher visual and audio fidelity, improved camera mechanics and a much more customisable interface system are but a taste of what you can expect.

Rumour has it; first-person walking around, similar to that of "Google street view", as it's a rumour it's probably false, sounds interesting though to say the least.

New Skills (all)

Two brand new skills await you in 2013, with one new resource collection skill and a support skill which will be modelled on some of our oldest and dearest content. Designed to suit the old-school, yet complement the entire game.

Just as I predicted, early this year/late last year, which was; there will be 2 skills added in 2013.

Epic Story Conclusions (various)

Pirates, dwarves, gnomes, desert gods, vampyres, workshops, heroes, dragonkin, monkeys... so much to choose from, and that's just the tip of the penguin iceberg! Help us to define which to work on next by letting us know what your favourites are.

It's about damn time! They never seem to "end" quests, they simply join onto another or are in some-way related to another Quest, hopefully we get definite answers and conclusions.

Construction Rework (all)

Our plans for user-generated content are just beginning to culminate in a sequence of mind-blowing updates to the Construction skill. Build and hold forts with your friends as you defend the realm! Bring your finely built, graphically updated houses to the main game world! Design dungeons and invite hardy dungeoneers to crack them!

Not really fussed about this, it's too long overdue, people have got used to it and probably won't want the changes.

World Events (all)

World Events will be your chance to make sure that you and your allies make your mark on the world itself. Fight for what you think is right using both your brain and brawn! The world will truly be your oyster as you help reshape Gielinor - your way!

This could be a very interesting concept.

Level Up my Stuff (all)

The ability to actually level up your equipment while training would be great! You could even customise that equipment by choosing from a range of buffs and bonuses that not only effected your stats but also the cosmetic look of the equipment - perhaps even name it. We wouldn’t limit ourselves to only allowing combat equipment to be levelled – far from it. It could affect your training gear like axes or hatchets; even summoning creatures, too.

This has the concept to be the best update of all time, simply levelling up your weapons as you train, thus gaining more xp the more you train.

Bosses Galore and Grouping Systems (all)

Finally, with the new EoC we can add all those amazing ideas for bone crunching, player slaying behemoths, for both groups and solo adventurers. Of course, nobody likes hanging about waiting for groups to appear, so we’ll need to give you an awesome grouping system to help you find that ideal team, instead of just standing around and shouting a lot.

I'd like more in game group systems, prefferably ones that can't be ballsed up by lazy people.

Interesting concept, I wonder how they'll make this simply non-attractive to Melee Combattees.

Pretty simple. They will just make all the monsters only weak to Ranged attacks.

Sylpheed.png

I remember being excited to see the major HD graphics update back in 2008. And then I was annoyed because from that point on, my laptop could no longer run RS w/o awful FPS/lag. Hope this update doesn't put the final nail in that coffin

• Like 7

77yLQy8.png

I actually laughed reading about the Christmas event for the stray dog. Looks like an excellent year to come. Hopefully the Next Gen update won't bump the hardware req's up too much. I already can't run RS in anything but absolute minimum as it is.

I wish they had been clearer on which of these will available to everyone and which will be members only (although, some are pretty obvious). Will non-mems be able to level up gear? Have access to either of the new skills? Do the God Statues D&D? "All" doesn't tell us much. And they had been so careful about being clear on this kind of thing ever since the Veteran's Cape debacle.

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I can not wait!

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Pretty simple. They will just make all the monsters only weak to Ranged attacks.

Yeah, they'll probably fill the dungeon with magic mobs, so that melee is highly inneficient and range just destroys them.

On the topic of BTS, holy crap is that an amazing list. I'm not really interested in bossing and the like, but the storyline endings, two grandmasters and more god involvement sounds utterly amazing. Way to get me hyped Jagex

Seems amazing to me. We RS players suddenly got a whole bunch of new things to look forward to. I can't avoid thinking about why they released all of this information now though. I guess it is, as someone said before me, that it is because of that they don't want people to quit because of the EoC coming out in a few days.

And oh, for suggestion for storylines, Jagex (as I posted on the official forums as well): Elves! Prifddinas!

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

They are posting this as effort to keep people who are quitting over the EoC, right?

Perhaps. Mostly the people who will be quitting are the long time players and the people aiming to become/are high leveled players, which is scary because we have the highest retention rate of any of the players. Sure, lower level and mid level players, or at least players who have played for less time, pay the same amount, but there is no guarentee they will continue to play 1 year later. The same goes with new players who are interested in Runescape because of the new changes being made. What sets us apart is that higher level players have a much higher chance of playing 1 year, even 5 years down the line. Seeing so many of these people literally sell they banks, cancel membership, and rwt their gold is absolutely horrifying to Jagex.

Jagex is a buisness. They need to push these very high level updates, because high level players are the only guarentee they have of maintaining at least the same STEADY profits years from now.

They are posting this as effort to keep people who are quitting over the EoC, right?

Probably. But who cares? This is amazing. We haven't had this much to discuss over since the last runefest player recorded videos with all that leaked/hinted content.

I absolutely love this.

hzvjpwS.gif

Four words: my body is ready.

Mod emphasis:

L6BHo.png

Edited by Kimberly
  • Like 16

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Paying off RS video makers to promote EoC, posts like this... Yup, Jagex is trying to keep people from quitting over EoC. Which is fine; i'm far from quitting completely because of EoC. And i think rage quitting because the combat system is changing to entail actual skill is childish...

But this actually might make me play more this upcoming year. This list looks very, very promising. Bravo Jagex! Do your best to not disappoint!

• Like 1

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Paying off RS video makers to promote EoC...

Yeah I didn't like the official contest as everyone who got featured had at least 10,000 subscribers and payed for membership from their ad revenue. Hell, even with one-hundred subs, you could pay for 3 months of membership per month by posting biweekly videos with overlayed ads.

As far as the updates planned, they sound nice.

The grandmaster quest gives me the impression that you will need to do the fight kiln as a requirement as it is known as one of the more difficult things to do for some.

The PoP update intrigues me the most. This is an update which potentially could be extraordinary or just plain suck.

I look forward to the interface system and engine changes the most. I want to actually use more than 5% of my GPU or 25% of my CPU when playing in 1080p on max settings. I want to be able to turn the distance up so I could see Varrock from the mountains West of Edgeville.

Other than the new skills, construction rework, and ranging dungeon, nothing else really appeals to me.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Mod response:

I see Kim is abusing her power... Good job :twss:

Am I the only one that wants them to fix the broken stuff before they pour tons of high level content on us? Not looking forward to spending hundreds of hours on useless click and wait skills before I can actually play the game.

Edited by Kimberly
Only a lighthearted joke. This is an exciting day, my friends! (PM me if this becomes an issue.)