2. 2. Will you play on 2007 Servers?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm F2p, so no
    • I'm F2P, but would subscribe

C'mon, we're RuneScape players. Surely we're used to spambots by now? :P

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

As it is now, the more people who vote to try and get it through the 250k goal the better for everyone, it seems to be fairly accepted on both sides that the 50k option will not be a sustainable business plan. The fact that the CEO actually wrote that it would be a nice thing to do for your friends, even if you don't intend on playing, shows that you wouldn't be screwing them over, and the higher goals it reaches, the more money they get, and the better it is for everyone. Like a point I made earlier, if all of the people who have voted right now (170k), were to just pay an extra $5, as opposed to only 50k paying an extra $15, Jagex will come out on top.

There's both pros and cons in voting without any intent to pay and play.

Say 250k players vote and only 150k are interested in playing. $750k Extra for jagex.

Then there's 150k legit players vote and no fake ones, all paying. Extra $2'250k for jagex.

Now I know that people could only be willing to pay if it reached 250k votes. It's just a scenario, but you can't rule it out.

Yeah that's possible too, obviously neither of us can predict what will happen. But it really seems like Jagex is trying to push for the 250k, and from what I think, that will be better for everyone.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

175k reached. Averaged over 1k votes per hour for the past 24 hours, if I'm not mistaken. 250k could be within reach!

Sorry if I skip words in my sentences from time to time. My brain tends to be a step or two ahead of my fingers when I type.

If I didn't miss any information prior to the post of this news on the homepage, then I might have a slight reason for the increase in people voting.

"Members votes decide the ultimate destiny of Old School RuneScape. Remember: everyone who votes will get their first month of old school RuneScape for free, regardless of the poll outcome."

Jagex giving 1 month free membership to the 2007 servers.

I dont remember reading that anywhere before, it almost made me vote, but I'm still gonna wait....I think

xmr_t.png

If I didn't miss any information prior to the post of this news on the homepage, then I might have a slight reason for the increase in people voting.

"Members votes decide the ultimate destiny of Old School RuneScape. Remember: everyone who votes will get their first month of old school RuneScape for free, regardless of the poll outcome."

I dont remember reading that anywhere before, it almost made me vote, but I'm still gonna wait....I think

They've also started advertising it on the lobby homepage. That way people who never go to the main site can see it.

Yeah it was only mentioned in a FAQ thread in the forums. Before I knew that, I wasn't going to become a member to vote. But now this info is a bit more accessible, hopefully others returning will see it's actually a decent option now.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

Then what's the point in asking for a vote at all?

I actually thought about this for a bit and i believe the reason they did a vote is just so they can earn extra money from all the people making new accounts just to vote. I mean when players like So Wreck3d are urging their young fan base to go and tell there mommy and daddy to buy them more membership to vote you can tell the plan worked out.

But unfortunately they still didn't get enough votes and most good estimates put them around 200k votes at the end. Asking players to pay $15 on top of the $8 they already have to pay is too much, they know they won't get enough players willing to pay this much compared to how many they can get with just a $5 fee. So now they're trying to rig the votes and get to at least 250k+ votes to maximize their profit from the 07scape server.

Maybe i'm being a bit too cynical of Jagex, but it makes complete sense. I mean, why else spam the hell out of your player base for something that was meant to just gauge interest.

Oh well now on top of getting spammed daily on youtube with people telling me to vote for the server, i get to enjoy being spammed on the runescape lobby and runescape homepage. Lovely.

confirmed, f2p accounts are getting this in-game screen to vote too

Katakanaman1.png

I don't feel like reading the 200 new replies since last night. Can someone explain to me how we jumped 20k votes since this afternoon?

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I don't feel like reading the 200 new replies since last night. Can someone explain to me how we jumped 20k votes since this afternoon?

Jagex is spamming the hell out of players to vote for it. Showing advertisements on the homepage, lobby, log in screen, facebook etc. They're also offering free first month membership to the people who vote for it. I think there's other stuff but i'm forgetting it right now.

Figured I might toss in my 2c about this. I'm very excited! I waited out the EOC update for several months, but I just could never get over it. Combat/bossing and Dungeoneering was the only thing that I really did on RS anymore. Some light skilling here and there, but combat was my large priority. I really just never got into EOC and even with the momentum ability, it just didn't have the feel that I enjoyed. I actually ended up cancelling my membership a few days before this poll came about, and had planned on finally dropping this game since 2003. Now with this announcment, I might be changing that decision. It really would not surprise me to see this update take the course that RSC has, and I almost expect it. It will probably take a little bit longer to do that, since a lot more players were around in 2007, but I can hope at least :P .

I'm pretty interested to see how things will turn out. I expect the vote to reach 250k (with, or without Jagex's "influence"), and that is my opinion. Either way, I still plan to play for the first few months. The first few weeks will be very interesting, mainly regarding how many people are playing, how many servers are released, the botting that will come with it, the FIGHT over resources, etc. The fighting over resources is what probably dampens my spirits the most. There were times that it was bad enough fighting over spots back then, and it really just depends how many people choose to play on these servers. We can guess and predict as much as we want, but there's no proof until it actually happens.

Of course all of the following is really up for interpretation, because it all depends on what happens with the community. Much/most of the following is really all geared towards the higher leveled aspects. It really all depends on the level of activity of others and the community to even determine if it would be worth ever reaching these stages. Obviously, it is going to take a VERY long time to reach everything again, even with the knowledge that we have of how to obtain it in the first place.

I spent probably about the last 15 mins just looking over the previous updates and seeing what will still be available and things that we'll lose with these servers. Maybe some was already listed in previous posts, but 62 pages is just something too much! Some were obvious, but some I had forgotten when they had been released...

Some things that I am excited about having that are within the timeframe, before too many things were added and/or changed (Summoning, Dung, etc) that really changed the game mechanics of how the bosses were handled.

• Barrows, Dag Kings, and KQ (probably my 3 favorite bossing areas as they hold a lot of memories around that time and using my "nostalgic killing methods" - Magic Dart, Camping Rex w/ Magic Dart, and Veracs - respectivelly).
  • Castle Wars!
  • Warrior Guild and defenders will still be available. Dragonfire shield will also have just been released.
  • Abyss RC'ing. Dealing w/ pkers/etc. Was so frustrating back then, but was always good fun when getting your revenge on one ;)
  • Fire Cape is still available.
  • Pest Control still available, although I believe only the first release (1 boat?).
  • No Gravestones. Very excited to see this gone. Back then, probably the majority of my friends were gained because I/we were always willing to give back their items if they had died. I still have multiple friends that I keep in touch with IRL because I had met them on this game because of a situation like that.

And also some things that, while I did enjoy being added to the game, will also be extremely interesting with going back to and no longer having them:

• No Godwars? Not sure about this one. Released on August 28th of 2007. Doubtful if that would be included? Maybe someone can clarify?
  • No coinshare/lootshare.
  • No summoning/dung as mentioned before. Dung was probably my favorite skill before EOC was released, but there's no hope of gaining that back pre-EOC, so no point complaining.
  • No GE. Seen lots of posts on this one. Will definitely be a challenge going back to having to obtain all your own items again. Redberry pies anyone?
  • No Smoking Kills quest (aka unable to make slayer helm, can only use black mask).
  • No quick chat (no big deal).
  • No item lending.
  • No Soul Wars. (Probably doesn't matter too much anymore, but when it was first released it was fairly enjoyable).
  • No Fally or Varrock achievement diary (No EE or Plate armor).

Anyway, Jagex managed to suck me back in... at least for the time being until we see what happens. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeah it was only mentioned in a FAQ thread in the forums. Before I knew that, I wasn't going to become a member to vote. But now this info is a bit more accessible, hopefully others returning will see it's actually a decent option now.

I think it's less convincing and more bribery, but at this point since they're not going to, y'know, unbribe everybody, there's really nothing to be gained by resisting, as any meaning that would have resulted from the poll has been washed away in the flood.

i just wish people would stop getting pissy when you don't agree with them for reasons both personal and logical

8f14270694.jpg

If after all of this (advertising, offering 1 month free, encouraging even those not interested to vote yes for potential of more content) it doesn't get 250,000 votes then I think it's safe to say the interest just was not there.

Wonder if there's another reason behind all this? Something like Jagex staff wants to have 07scape, however it must justify such a venture with its stock holders that could care less about giving customers items for free. So, Jagex rigs a poll heavily weighted to bring a large amount of yes votes to convince the stock holders that releasing a 6 year old version of the game is a viable method of keeping customers.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

If after all of this (advertising, offering 1 month free, encouraging even those not interested to vote yes for potential of more content) it doesn't get 250,000 votes then I think it's safe to say the interest just was not there.

Wonder if there's another reason behind all this? Something like Jagex staff wants to have 07scape, however it must justify such a venture with its stock holders that could care less about giving customers items for free. So, Jagex rigs a poll heavily weighted to bring a large amount of yes votes to convince the stock holders that releasing a 6 year old version of the game is a viable method of keeping customers.

i'm not even sure how this kind of thing manages to work on shareholders, well, more than once, when it's so transparent

my current theory though is that they don't give enough [bleep]s to even visit the website because to them it's just an investment and they think they know what they need to from the reports and presentations

jagex does what it has to in order to keep the game alive, i suppose

8f14270694.jpg

Well I don't think that explains the sudden increase in people voting, because that was there for three days.

Really what happened is that it's advertised everywhere now. Even more on the homepage, in the lobby, and when you log in.

Ecruteak.png
Ecruteak.png

Ecruteak.png

RuneCrafting addict 

Divination addict

One convoluted publicity stunt. Jagex thought the $15 extra thing would serve as a warning at get people to vote. But in reality, less people than they anticipated cared enough. If they stood at <250k, no one would have played. So they shove it down everyone's throats, throwing up the VOTE YES sign every time someone logs in. Jagex is practically begging people to vote now, so they don't look foolish.

Less people than they anticipated cared enough to go out of their own way to vote. But that's just going to hurt them in the long run, when far fewer people are playing on these servers than anticipated.

Meanwhile, membership purchases have increased just to vote, and that 1st month free thing is just going to draw people in. Jagex is using every tactic they can to get new members.

• Like 1

Now it's f2p needed for the referendum to get massacred. Oh how I love you.

Damn. Can't wait for next month... Where the community finally splits and then will see who misses each other the most.

Heck even Jagex seems to have quit on their own beloved scape.

Noctturne.png

Well all in all, Jagex's latest stunt just shows what I posted on this topic in the very beggining - The decision about bringing 2007Scape back has been made´way before the poll. The poll was given to us just to give us an illusion of choice. The game is rigged people (commence scary cosnpiracy theorist' music) and nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care (Quote from George Carlin btw)

In either case, I don't really care, I am just pissed that they weren't upfront about it. They could've just said, "Hey, we're brining 2007scape back, pay extra 5$ or gtfo", instead of spouting all that BS about "gauging player interest."

purekilljoy.png

Well all in all, Jagex's latest stunt just shows what I posted on this topic in the very beggining - The decision about bringing 2007Scape back has been made´way before the poll. The poll was given to us just to give us an illusion of choice. The game is rigged people (commence scary cosnpiracy theorist' music) and nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care (Quote from George Carlin btw)

In either case, I don't really care, I am just pissed that they weren't upfront about it. They could've just said, "Hey, we're brining 2007scape back, pay extra 5$ or gtfo", instead of spouting all that BS about "gauging player interest."

I don't think so, otherwise they wouldn't have given different options and levels of support for the game based on the amount of votes. I think they really are trying to gauge player interest. Personally I think they should've just done 2012 scape and let people vote for that, I'm sure it would easily reach 750k votes (assuming there are an adequate number of members). But if they did that EOC would probably die. Especially if they transferred current account stats/banks.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Lol, the community has been screaming "Bring back the Old School Days" for a long time. They don't need to gauge anything.

Noctturne.png

Lol, the community has been screaming "Bring back the Old School Days" for a long time. They don't need to gauge anything.

How many people screamed that? I didn't.