Runescape 3 is coming this summer...(BTS Bonus edition)

SwreeTak

Personally I think the update will be nice, but Jagex needs to slow down with these HUGE updates (gm quests/eoc - most recents) and do so more minor tweaks/start some new quest lines.

The problem with that idea is that Runescape is 12 years old. Over the last few years Jagex has seen a steady decline in players which says to me (and probably them) that it's not so much individual updates that make players leave, but the game becoming more outdated every year. To keep up with the competition the NEED to have massive overhauls to avoid being left in 2007. I agree, small fixes are awesome, but that's not what lures in and keeps new players.

Tbh I think they are on the right balance now.

We have decent content updates most weeks with 1 big show piece every couple of months plus every single week in patch notes theres a good 50-100 minor tweaks and fixes.

Also they don't need to go starting any more new quest lines, we have plenty of them already - what they need to do is finish off the project they started a yr or 2 ago to actually FINISH quest lines. Dwarves, Penguin, Gnomes, Elves, Desert Pantheon, Myreque, Elemental Worshop and probably more I forgot are all in need of conclusions. (Don't get me wrong they are working on many of them already, just saying they need to actually finish them before starting more new ones)

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

[bleep]ing hell, you guys are bunch of pessimistic turds. It was a simple joke, move on.

They have a point though, all the brown makes it looks a lot more like MorrowindScape without the fog. To be SkyrimScape it would have to be gray instead.

Ily.

Dumb question, but what do they mean by 'draw distances?' Is this just another term for depth perception and other visual oriented things?

Draw distance is the distance you can see in the game client.

This image shows it off pretty nicely, so with a much higher draw distance we can see wayyyy out into the distance instead of seeing a barrier of fog :P

Behind_the_Scenes_Special_Edition_HTML5_preview.png

Skyrimscape.

Please show me anywhere in Skyrim that looks like that.

Legion camps outside of Whiterun

• Like 2
287b5w.jpg

The problem with finishing old quest lines is that it doesn't get new players excited because they haven't done the quests to get there yet. It's a tough balance. They should finish them but they need to get a stable point where they aren't worried about losing everyone because of outdated graphics/gameplay/etc. But they also can't risk losing their hardcore fans because without us they wouldn't be around long enough to get new ones. They are doing really well I think, with enough solid updates recently, and the Sof/Solomon bits really did get them some influx necessary to do this. (even if it meant moving towards that micro model that a lot of players vocally dislike) But they have been incredibly popular....

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

The problem with finishing old quest lines is that it doesn't get new players excited because they haven't done the quests to get there yet. It's a tough balance. They should finish them but they need to get a stable point where they aren't worried about losing everyone because of outdated graphics/gameplay/etc. But they also can't risk losing their hardcore fans because without us they wouldn't be around long enough to get new ones. They are doing really well I think, with enough solid updates recently, and the Sof/Solomon bits really did get them some influx necessary to do this. (even if it meant moving towards that micro model that a lot of players vocally dislike) But they have been incredibly popular....

Even just with the micropurchase model they were wise. Hell, I hate SoF but play any game or any app on your iPhone, fill in the blank, and buyable things are surrounding the app/game. Usually it's impossible/near impossible to beat the game without any purchases. So really, Jagex is just following te current trend, and if/when it dies off, I would presume they will remove it.

My point with them not making huge updates is it results in constant changes for a good few months which causes instability. That currently is my theory why 07 is so popular is because it has so much stability. Everything is a known.

If I was a new player and I was coming into a game where even minor things like slayer EXP were changing or how much damage I did with Momentum, etc. every few weeks I'd quit sofast because I have nothing holding me to commit to the game.

Above all their updates need to create stanility, not remove it.

Except that new players don't generally understand xp rates or care about some of those hidden changes. The problem is when you get to the "mid-core" players who are interested but not really new, and who get fed up every time something changes and are unwilling to learn it.

EoC had this problem in spades, and it is taking a long time to fade because a) they keep changing, b) there are few guides c) no old methods work well, and d) so many things are undocumented

Serena_Sedai.png

Biggest pet peeve of blogs like that is the inevitable comment of

"Most have, since then, grown out of the game, or simply got tired of grinding to just about level anything."

NO.

This is not a fact, you have made it up based on your personal experience/hearsay. Do not smear the entire game with the same brush of 'most out grow it' - I mean just look at the crew and well known names around any of the big fansites most date back a good 5+ years and the fact that there is plenty of people actively playing who can wear the 10 year vet cape.

It annoys me mostly because it is kind of a back-handed insult: If RS is a game most 'grow out of' it implies to be a long term player is to not grow up eg you immature, have limited to no independence etc.

It's an old and stubborn stereotype, and it's perpetuated a lot of places... almost anywhere there's video gamer talk.

Unfortunately, Sy, some of the most immature Runescape players I've met are adults, although, granted, when they talk harsh, they usually MEAN it (I'm guilty as charged, too) and know quite a bit of the implications of what they say will hurt. I've left a lot of communities aimed at or comprised largely of adults because of drama, or, much more importantly, they don't know how to deal with melodramatic emotions effectively. I recently left a clan led and run by adults that took a very hard sledgehammer approach to it.

The problem with finishing old quest lines is that it doesn't get new players excited because they haven't done the quests to get there yet. It's a tough balance.

Actually, I think one of the most admirable things Jagex did was make some really good revamps of old quests, specifically F2P ones, add the Signature Heroes, and often create a member counterpart. I admit I cruised pretty easily through much of them, but the storylines were good... I'd say ESPECIALLY the Rune Mysteries/Rune Memories quests. Plus, those First Age robes were so TRON-looking! (Yes, pardon my fanboy moment, TRON was a big part of my childhood.)

Now I have no idea what new players think, but, I'd hazard to guess if you put old and new versions of those quests side by side for comparison, new players would likely be more positive about the revamped versions.

Even just with the micropurchase model they were wise. Hell, I hate SoF but play any game or any app on your iPhone, fill in the blank, and buyable things are surrounding the app/game. Usually it's impossible/near impossible to beat the game without any purchases. So really, Jagex is just following te current trend, and if/when it dies off, I would presume they will remove it.

Thank you. No one seemed to listen when I pointed that out. I don't hate SoF per se but I do think Yelps is annoying as hell. But I very much like Solomon's, however, and I will continue to emphasize ad nauseam that I think it's a very worthy means for me to support the developers. And yes... that is honestly a very common business model. I can't wait for players to get jobs where their employers do stuff they find MUCH more reprehensible... and find it's bleedingly common.

What I think a lot of players got stuck on was idealistic interpretations of old promises. So many forget, though, at least when they cried for Andrew Gower to return, is that they were MEAN and SPITEFUL to him. Insert my old beaten-to-a-pulp dead horse story about Andrew threatening a lawsuit here because of an unflattering Times article about bans (it's saved elsewhere, but is gone from the archives). He said, right on these forums, something to the effect of, "I'd rather code... I don't want to deal with managerial stuff." I mean, he PERSONALLY suggested an encypted flash drive passkey for Runescape on the RSOF and players, overall, howled with indignation because he dared to offer bank space as an incentive. He basically replied, "Oh, gee, never mind" but most seem to have forgotten that. So Andrew sold out. So what? He gets to do what he likes now... research and development, if I remember right.

My point with them not making huge updates is it results in constant changes for a good few months which causes instability. That currently is my theory why 07 is so popular is because it has so much stability. Everything is a known.

If I was a new player and I was coming into a game where even minor things like slayer EXP were changing or how much damage I did with Momentum, etc. every few weeks I'd quit sofast because I have nothing holding me to commit to the game.

Above all their updates need to create stanility, not remove it.

Except that new players don't generally understand xp rates or care about some of those hidden changes. The problem is when you get to the "mid-core" players who are interested but not really new, and who get fed up every time something changes and are unwilling to learn it.

EoC had this problem in spades, and it is taking a long time to fade because a) they keep changing, b) there are few guides c) no old methods work well, and d) so many things are undocumented

Ehhh... this game has a solid reputation of fansites practically engineering ways to play the game. Yeah... I said ENGINEERING. Maybe the average cut of a gamer doesn't crunch data or pore over strategies, but there are players that do. I mean, c'mon, Tip.It (yeah, all y'all)... we had gamers that loved to organize their banks (and then asked others to rate it), micromanage and OCD-sort their inventories, make words and patterns for Firemaking, etc. ... don't any of you remember the massive petition for bank tabs here? I mean, really.

I guess helring is right, when the community drove these sorts of things, it went well, but when Jagex integrated things tighter to the game, things started to fail (Char's fm pattern challenges, Dionysius "The Wise Old Man" sorting out useless quest items, etc.) All y'all have forgotten a lot, or gamers, like rap music fans, have a short memory. Or something. Or I'm just a freak. Could be all three.

So there was a sucker-punch and fansites have to start over with the bar raised higher. Yeah, a stable base would be good, but, I smell laziness, feigned indignation, etc.

Don't get your hopes up with the sky and the zooming out, they did this before, right when RS2 was about to enter its BETA stage (most of their pictures showed a sky, if I remember correctly, a couple even showed the night sky, once the BETA and final release was released, you couldn't zoom out.

To be honest I didn't even notice the sky in that image. It's just a demonstration of the size of the area that is drawn, so even at ground level you should be able to see that far back

There's anothe good one of the polypody dungeon where you can see all the way down, I'm really looking forward to this just because itl make the game feel like a much bigger world in general

• Like 1

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

I love draw distances. When I first played GTA4 and unlocked the second island, I spent a solid 5 minutes on that street running through the equivalent of times square just starring at it. Then I got in a helicopter and just foated at one end of the map while starring at the other, because I could and it was beautiful. Camera angles permitting, and if the draw distance really does lose it's ridiculous limits, I will be climbing white wolf mountain so I can go stare at Ardoungne.

Since it was brought up, I do the same thing in Skyrim. I have a couple pictures from Throat of the World and that one quest that takes you way up in the air for a minute, of me looking at buildings on the far side of the map.

I am however fully expecting that this will still not be possible in RuneScape, not until I see an image from the actual game showing it off or I see it for myself.

• Like 2

Don't get your hopes up with the sky and the zooming out, they did this before, right when RS2 was about to enter its BETA stage (most of their pictures showed a sky, if I remember correctly, a couple even showed the night sky, once the BETA and final release was released, you couldn't zoom out.

Yep, and I tried for an hour last night to find a screenshot of it without success :(

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Yep, and I tried for an hour last night to find a screenshot of it without success :(

This image was released when RS2 was still in development. :)

BS7xn9L.jpg

• Like 2

This image was released when RS2 was still in development. :)

BS7xn9L.jpg

To be fair to the RS2 and RS3 things:

1) Neither campaign has claimed that camera would be able to zoom out like that - they are simply broad views to show the new graphics.

2) RS2 never claimed it would be adding skies.

3) Rs has had sky boxes in place for a while and whilst certainly we have not been promised worldwide skies the 'greater draw distance' and redeveloped camera coupled with their pre-existing limited use make it as least feasible that the fog could be replaced with a sky box.

4) Definitely don't get hopes up though as though feasible it certainly has not been promised (as of yet anyway)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

With the upcoming April RuneScape 3 Beta, I'm wondering what there actually is to beta test. It can't just a graphical overhaul (that draw distance!), Mod Pips did say after all "it'll be a significant improvement on all fronts." Considering the rewrite into HTML5 there should be a lot more to expect: we know there'll be options for interface improvements, an upgraded camera, and an upgraded audio engine. But I'm still not sure what there is to test in a player beta. Hope we'll get more beta newsposts soon...

Jagex beta really means early access for $$.

Look at the EOC, that thing looks like its in beta testing now.

They didn't do a damn thing when it was in Jagex Beta.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Jagex beta really means early access for $$.

Look at the EOC, that thing looks like its in beta testing now.

They didn't do a damn thing when it was in Jagex Beta.

Don't be absurd. Yes it is still got tons of issues. But they fixed a lot of crap while it was in beta. Just didn't redesign it, but there were tons of minor fixes and other issues.. they didn't do everything, and they could've been more responsive, but... they did do stuff during beta.

Serena_Sedai.png

With the upcoming April RuneScape 3 Beta, I'm wondering what there actually is to beta test. It can't just a graphical overhaul (that draw distance!), Mod Pips did say after all "it'll be a significant improvement on all fronts." Considering the rewrite into HTML5 there should be a lot more to expect: we know there'll be options for interface improvements, an upgraded camera, and an upgraded audio engine. But I'm still not sure what there is to test in a player beta. Hope we'll get more beta newsposts soon...

They already confirmed you can change/customize the runescape layout by dragging and dropping, which isn't familiar if you've seen pictures of bots out there, heck, they were doing this back in Classic, it's not new, Jagex are just making it "official".

That will be very useful, especially if we can have multiple tabs open at once, and other sets of things be visible easily. Hopefully also means updated action-bar which enables us to put more stuff on there, and edit what it does. (I would like to be able to put each summon action there, and change whether an item's trigger is drop or something else (possibly use for ex)

Serena_Sedai.png

They already confirmed you can change/customize the runescape layout by dragging and dropping, which isn't familiar if you've seen pictures of bots out there, heck, they were doing this back in Classic, it's not new, Jagex are just making it "official".

To be fair even if the only visible difference in the beta was the graphical improvements there would still be plenty to beta test.

You have to remember beta testing isn't necessarily about actively doing specific things to find bugs - in a case like this where it is an engine overhaul just generally playing the game is a beta testing as you could stumble across any number of things behaving a bit oddly. Like perhaps taking a rubber chicken near a bench makes it deform or doing the yes emote in castlewars makes you be able to walk anywhere. Also there's elements of the beta test we have nothing to do with other than being there - server load, how does it all work when it is actually exposed to thousands of players simultaneously. Something that works fine in their in-house tests and even functions under simulated high server load might not behave the same when exposed to real server load.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Jagex split RuneScape Classic into its own game and stopped updating it after RS2 was released. I wonder if the same will happen to RS2 once RS3 is out?

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

They stated they wouldn't do that because RSC to RS2 was a much more significant jump. This update is similar in that its a lot of under the hood work.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

They mentioned there was some HTML5 related bug in Firefox, and until that was fixed, they'd only use Chrome for HTML5 content.

Do you know the Bugzilla id of the bug?

I thought Firefox was blocked because Google paid Jagex.

Jagex split RuneScape Classic into its own game and stopped updating it after RS2 was released. I wonder if the same will happen to RS2 once RS3 is out?

I think what they'll do is have a dedicated RS2 (07 team) even though the voting didn't reach what it meant, I also think it will stay permanently free to current members, however, new members would have to pay an additional price.

I also see basically there been RS3, renamed to "RuneScape" such as RS2 was, thus, RS2.5 (which imo is the current RS2 with EoC) completely forgotten and not used. However, given that imo RS3 is basically RS2.75 (confusing I know) I think what we'll see (if I'm completely honest) the best form of RuneScape Jagex has ever produced.

The only thing about EoC I don't like, is the fact that it's similar to Classic, you get Xp per Kill, not per Hit/Damage, I think this needs to be changed due to the fact that it's super fast xp for low levels (and medium imo) to kill lower monsters rather than high ones.