Runescape 3 is coming this summer...(BTS Bonus edition)

SwreeTak

I am wondering if someone can explain this to me, because every time I think I get this strait I am just more confused.

The way HTML5 is being talked about seems to imply the game code is written in HTML5, which doesn't make an ounce of sense because HTML5 is a markup language, not a programming language. Saying the game is written in HTML makes about as much sense as saying your writing an operating system in python. It's not the right type of language for the task.

So when they say the game is in HTML5 what does this actually mean? Is the game still written in Java? Does it require a different programming language? Are the mechanics of displaying the game just entirely different? Why does changing the language displaying the content allow them to add new features to the core game?

I am so confused.

• Like 1

I heard they're planning on allowing group-chat via microphones, similar to "private party" in XBL, not sure how it would work though through their game.

Was this recently that you heard it? Because there have been rumours about this kind of things for years now. The only way I see it working would be limiting it to friends/clan chats. Public voice chat would be an absolute mess.

I heard it initially years ago (like you said) by Ian that they were working on it, but seeing as years have passed without it, I figured they'd stopped development for it, however, I heard it just the other day (not by any Mods or anything) so it could be complete speculation.

I am wondering if someone can explain this to me, because every time I think I get this strait I am just more confused.

The way HTML5 is being talked about seems to imply the game code is written in HTML5, which doesn't make an ounce of sense because HTML5 is a markup language, not a programming language. Saying the game is written in HTML makes about as much sense as saying your writing an operating system in python. It's not the right type of language for the task.

So when they say the game is in HTML5 what does this actually mean? Is the game still written in Java? Does it require a different programming language? Are the mechanics of displaying the game just entirely different? Why does changing the language displaying the content allow them to add new features to the core game?

I am so confused.

Hopefully this will help you.

Basically yes, it's still written in Java.

As far as I'm aware, the HTML5 basically means JAGeX is going to allow RuneScape to be more third-party friendly, by that I don't mean clients and such, I mean extractable data such as; highscores, databases, etc.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Runescape 3 came 20th of november last year, dunno what are they talking about. Glad I can keep playing Rs2 :)

I wonder when jagex actually realizes that updates like this, actually kills the game.

What like the update from runescape classic killed the game? *rollseyes*

Lol I wouldn't bother with trolls, especially poor ones.

I remember they mentioned HTML5 at the start of September 2012. At the time I was under the impression this upgrade would actually be happening at the end of September.

I'm really excited about it. Everything sounds good so I hope it doesn't goo terribly bad when it's about to get released.

I really hope so too. This is all in the world of computers though...So you never know. Things might *beep* themselves where you least expect them (actually that is where it most usually *beep* itself over in my own experience with programming -.- ).

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I am so confused.

Hopefully this will help you.

Basically yes, it's still written in Java.

As far as I'm aware, the HTML5 basically means JAGeX is going to allow RuneScape to be more third-party friendly, by that I don't mean clients and such, I mean extractable data such as; highscores, databases, etc.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Nope, you summed it up very well. ;).

Having played with the HTML5 canvas for the past few days... I'm in love.

09144a99bb.png

Correct me if I am wrong but is it not incorrect to say it'll still be Java as using html5 it would instead utilise Javascript, which whilst similar is not quite the same thing.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Xena cleared it up for me. For some reason I got it in my head that the game was HTML5, when it's the client that uses it (which makes a lot more sense). I'm told that HTML5 allows them to write the new client in javascript with the WebGL API instead of using a java applet, which is all very cool and would massively increase compatibility. I don't have the foggiest idea why it allows them to do more with eye candy, I'm assuming that relates HTML5 features like the data storage the bestiary is using.

Xena cleared it up for me. For some reason I got it in my head that the game was HTML5, when it's the client that uses it (which makes a lot more sense). I'm told that HTML5 allows them to write the new client in javascript with the WebGL API instead of using a java applet, which is all very cool and would massively increase compatibility. I don't have the foggiest idea why it allows them to do more with eye candy, I'm assuming that relates HTML5 features like the data storage the bestiary is using.

Tbf most of the eyecandy factor is probably a lot less to do with html5 vs pure java than it is to do with the engine being entirely rewritten.

Bare in mind the engine we currently have is essentially the 2004 one, sure parts have been rewritten to do new tricks and various new bits have been bolted on but all in all it's gonna be quite a garbled mess with lots of older less useful code inside.

This new engine being written from the ground up can homogeneous all those bolt ons and old codes and retweaked codes into a much tidier form plus opens the window to properly fully integrate newer tech things that were impossible to just bolt on to the old engine. Eg they can write it using newer codes that better utilise computer hardware - especially 64-bit and multi-cores

• Like 3

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I so called this.

http://www.tip.it/runescape/times/view/929-what-happened-to-runescape-2

Perhaps that RuneScape: Next Gen update is what Jagex intends to be RuneScape 3. Jagex said that improvements to graphics, audio, and the interfaces are “but a taste of what you can expect.” If Jagex is calling this the next generation of RuneScape and “Higher visual and audio fidelity, improved camera mechanics and a much more customizable interface system” is just a small taste, this must be something huge. I am actually quite excited to see what they have in store.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

They even took out an 18 page Special Advertising Feature in PC Gamer to talk about the history of RuneScape and what's coming in RuneScape 3. (http://www.pcgamer.c...nescape-e-zine/) It seems like they're taking it quite seriously to pay for such a splashy looking e-zine.

Are they going to use javascript, websocket, webgl canvas, et cetera to completely replace the java applet?

Or will it merely be UI elements done by the webbrowser which interact with the java plugin using liveconnect?

If they are going to completely replace the java applet I wonder if they are writing everything in javascript now or if they are compiling java to javascript.

I actually kind of doubt they are going to completely replace the applet. I am not sure the performance of webbrowsers are good enough yet.

"The more persistence a game tries to have; the longer it is set up to last; the greater number (and broader variety) of people it tries to attract; and in general the more immersive a game/world it set out to be--then the more breadth and depth of human experience it needs to support to be successful for more than say, 12-24 months. If you try to create a deeply immersive, broadly appealing, long-lasting world that does not adequately provide for human tendencies such as violence, acquisition, justice, family, community, exploration, etc (and I would contend we are nowhere close to doing this), you will see two results: first, individuals in the population will begin to display a wide range of fairly predictable socially pathological behaviors (including general malaise, complaining, excessive bullying and/or PKing, harassment, territoriality, inappropriate aggression, and open rebellion against those who run the game); and second, people will eventually vote with their feet--but only after having passionately cast 'a pox on both your houses.' In essence, if you set people up for an experience they deeply crave (and mostly cannot find in real life) and then don't deliver, they will become like spurned lovers--somebecome sullen and aggressive or neurotic, and eventually almost all leave."

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

I assume they're using WebGL and JS to replace the applet. They probably compile RuneScript to JavaScript, so that their employees don't have to learn a new (and much more annoying) language.

They even took out an 18 page Special Advertising Feature in PC Gamer to talk about the history of RuneScape and what's coming in RuneScape 3. (http://www.pcgamer.c...nescape-e-zine/) It seems like they're taking it quite seriously to pay for such a splashy looking e-zine.

Is it possible to download that e-zine for offline reading?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

It doesn't seem so. I think the e-zine is only available on the digital edition for download. I don't have a subscription to that though so I'm not sure. Maybe Jagex will make it available to download seperately from the issue, considering it's an advertisement?

Are they going to use javascript, websocket, webgl canvas, et cetera to completely replace the java applet?

Or will it merely be UI elements done by the webbrowser which interact with the java plugin using liveconnect?

If they are going to completely replace the java applet I wonder if they are writing everything in javascript now or if they are compiling java to javascript.

I actually kind of doubt they are going to completely replace the applet. I am not sure the performance of webbrowsers are good enough yet.

I think it would be UI elements done by the browser.

Personally, I don't see why Jagex would change their own RuneScript, I mean, it's very easy to do, you don't really need to know Java, examples are simple such as, say during a cutscene your player moves, it would be.

;Start of the infamous cutscene
@CutSceneFromQuest
MoveTo(x,y)
TalkToNPC(id)
Wait(20)
Answer(0)

It's very easy to understand and do mainly because it's all be coded previously so they use the code above to make things easier for themselves, consider it sort of like a shortcut from the desktop to your downloads folder, rather than going into C: then navigating to the folder with multiple clicks.

I lived the past (RS1/Classic), living the present (RS2) and hopefully i will live the future (RS3).

Runescape 3 sounds cool from BTS:BE...

I will wait for next Runescape version (RS3).