Behind the Scenes: April 2013

Alg

RuneScape 3 Beta Programme (members only)

As announced in the bonus Behind the Scenes on March 22nd, we have been upgrading the RuneScape engine and main game interface to make something truly amazing, and we're opening the beta for this new experience this month. If you want to get involved, registration for beta access opens very shortly. Look out for more information this week. If you’re already a Gold or Silver Premier Club member you’ll be automatically included, but all other members can also register their interest. We’ll be giving you beta access to the new HTML5 engine, but you’ll be able to use your main character and gain rewards and XP just as you would in the normal game. You'll be able to try out the alpha version of the new interface soon after the client beta goes live. This'll be on separate worlds and game saves, but the changes we have in store are incredibly cool and you'll definitely want to take a look.

Your feedback is really important, as we want RuneScape 3 to be the game that you want. The application window will only be open for one week, so make sure you’re at the front of the queue!

Dungeoneering Dual Wielding (free and members) and Charm Collectors (members only)

Following extensive feedback on the forums, we will be adding new weapons to Dungeoneering to allow for dual wielding and use of its associated abilities. These new pieces of equipment cover all styles and level ranges, and will allow for all the combat customisation options you're currently using on the surface world. On top of that, there are new ranged and mage shields to really round out the options for those combat styles.

Additionally, we're adding a brand new reward to buy with your Dungeoneering tokens that can collect charms for you in the main game. It comes in the form of a friendly imp who sits in your backback, hoovering all your charms up so you don’t have to sift through drop piles to find them. Handy!

Castle Wars (members only) and Duel Arena Improvements (free and members)

Castle Wars continues to be one of your favourite minigames, and we’ve put together a significant upgrade to the way the game looks, feels, and rewards your efforts.

To start with, we’ve completely reworked the environments for both Castle Wars and the Duel Arena, giving them a major makeover on par with our most recent updates.

Ap1-28175427.jpg

In Castle Wars, we’ve replaced Castle Wars tickets with new silver and gold tickets. Silver tickets can be spent on consumable items within the shop and are awarded no matter if players win, lose or draw. Gold tickets can be spent on the more sought-after items and are only awarded if players win or draw. You'll also be able to wear helms in the arena, use altars in the spawn room and wait far less time for the next game due to lobby improvements. We’re also improving the stats of the reward armour sets to give them more of a 'hybrid' use, making them much more effective in multi-style combat within Castle Wars. There’s also a change to the trimmed completionist cape requirements. More info on that soon!

For the Duel Arena, we're reducing the number of visible arenas, but to combat overcrowding there'll be an instance automatically generated for anyone who can't get into one of those. It may look like there's less room, but there's no way you'll miss out on your duel!

Ap2-28175442.jpg

Hunter Charms (members only)

We originally added the hunter charm sprites back in 2010 as a way for hunters to gather summoning charms just south of the Gnome Stronghold. Since then, you’ve given us feedback on many aspects of the content, and this month we're implementing the lot!

All the associated gameplay will be reworked to be far more fun, easier to use and more rewarding. The sprites themselves will be easier to see and catch, and the XP you'll earn will be much more generous, scaling with your Hunter level. You'll get many more charms from the activity, too, including more blue and crimson charms than before. We’re also adding a new 'mystical' charm slice, acting as a wildcard when making charms.

Yaktwee will now look after your hunting equipment when you’re away, and Yaktwee’s stick can be upgraded by those that really get to grips with the area, offering XP boosts to all hunting and an increased chance to get new mystical charm slices.

EoC Update (free and members)

We’re addressing some major pieces of feedback on the new combat system this month, following some great discussions in-game and on the forums.

Firstly, we’re making your hard-earned stats mean far more in combat, meaning players with the best stats will have significant advantages over players that don’t and the monsters you are fighting will suffer the full force of your combat skills. We're also changing armour stats to bring back the choice between defensive and offensive armour. Armour will be classed as offensive, defensive or hybrid gear, with stats to match, and has been optimised for its traditional purpose: Bandos will be offensively oriented, for example - all about increasing your max hit.

With those updates we'll also be able to improve some of the game programming that controls basic hit chances, making the whole combat experience far more enjoyable.

Perhaps most importantly, though, we are changing potions and prayers to be even more effective in combat - all because of your feedback.

Private God Wars Dungeons (members only)

What better way to test out your new armour and combat prowess than with your own, crash-free, private God Wars Dungeon for you and your buddies? It can be quite frustrating when rooms get overcrowded by a new group of battle-crazed adventurers, hungry for those drops. Well, those days can be a thing of the past as you’ll soon be able to hire - for a small GP fee - your own version of the dungeon.

For those that like a tougher challenge, a 'hard mode' can be accessed. In this mode, the God Wars bosses who featured in The World Wakes will have all the new combat mechanics they had in the quest, but with far higher stats. These guys are really, really tough and can be accessed by you and a group of your friends, offering far more valuable drops than their normal brethren. Dare you take on the fight?

XP Additions (free and members)

Have you ever been training your skills, watching your XP dials, and thought: “That’s odd. I wonder why I didn’t get any XP for that”? Well, so have we. This month we're adding small amounts of XP to over 30 processes in RuneScape, ranging from grinding unicorn horn dust to picking flax. You’ll get XP for making unfinished potions, adding a seed to plant pots…all sorts of processes that really should have given XP in the first place. You told us to add XP, and we listened!

Have Fun!

Mod Mark

Design Director – RuneScape

Discuss this here.

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan; not a promise that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren't afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

Was wondering where this post was. All in all some pretty interesting stuff there. Mostly curious about the instanced GWD and "hard" bosses.

Yes and of course the EoC updates. About time being maxed stats means something again in combat.

:P

u5zhkTY.gif

Better remove my halo from the keepsake box just in case Jagex forgets to count the tickets properly a second time :rolleyes:

Looking forward to that CW update, hopefully it doesn't change important mechanics too much.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Looks like there's a lot of needy content being overhauled, now to see if it's done well :P.

@Gwyn: I think all current tickets are automatically gold, so when you sell your items back you'll get gold tickets anyway.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Lots of fixes, fine by me.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

So wtf happens to the 6k Castle wars tickets I have in bank?

Am I getting shit on again like last time(1400 games played yet I have 6k tickets)?

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Sounds like an epic month again.

Untill you read this

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan; not a promise that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren't afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

Calm_Koala.png

Sounds like an epic month again.

Untill you read this

Except that is there in every BTS.

• Like 2

I feel kinda underwhelmed with this month. With beta going live its understandably a bit light and thought what we are getting it all sounds rather dull in terms of attention getting.

Beta - Yeah awesome great etc, but its mainly back end changes and we'll just be playing live game with new engine so beyond the initial wow its jsut buisness as usual

Cwars and Duel makeovers - Yay shiney new graphics and slightly tweaked gameplay...but its still the same old games so not something to hold attention for aaages.

Charm Sprites - getting an upgrade, awesome but again minor fixes not gonna hold attention for long.

Dg - few new weps and 1 new reward as with the others very awesome but hardly a big attention holder.

Eoc Tweaks - Again nothing to hugely hold focus and sounds mildly worrying that they are just reassigning sets (by the sounds of it) rather than padding things out to give us options for all 3 at each tier.

Small xp tweaks - literally not even worth checking out, but still very nice.

Just feels, to me, that in spite of all the good stuff theres nothing actually all that new this month to dump an hour or two's focus in to.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Aside from the beta its mostly small tweaks this month but they're all much needed.

Charm sprites have needed a rework from day one and it could really help the grind of mid-level hunter, fingers crossed. Cwars changes and graphical reworks are always welcome :)

Tbh between the html5 beta and gwd instancing this month I'm a very happy bunny, everything else is just a bonus :)

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

I feel kinda underwhelmed with this month. With beta going live its understandably a bit light and thought what we are getting it all sounds rather dull in terms of attention getting.

Beta - Yeah awesome great etc, but its mainly back end changes and we'll just be playing live game with new engine so beyond the initial wow its jsut buisness as usual

Cwars and Duel makeovers - Yay shiney new graphics and slightly tweaked gameplay...but its still the same old games so not something to hold attention for aaages.

Charm Sprites - getting an upgrade, awesome but again minor fixes not gonna hold attention for long.

Dg - few new weps and 1 new reward as with the others very awesome but hardly a big attention holder.

Eoc Tweaks - Again nothing to hugely hold focus and sounds mildly worrying that they are just reassigning sets (by the sounds of it) rather than padding things out to give us options for all 3 at each tier.

Just feels, to me, that in spite of all the good stuff theres nothing actually all that new this month to dump an hour or two's focus in to.

Don't you say this sort of thing every month?

• Like 1

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Charm Collector 9001/10.

Don't even care about the rest. Well, I mean, Private GWD could be fun but I don't really see enough people there as it is. RIP.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

APRIL FOOLS

would've been funny.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

One word: Awesome.

I am mostly looking forward to the rs3 beta and the private GWD updates. But certainly updated CWars and the change to that comp cape(t) will be great as well. I mean, 5k cwars games is just crazy...:/

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Don't you say this sort of thing every month?

Erm no.

I think this is the first time I've said anything remotely bordering on negative about the BTS and even then note that I said they are all very good updates - I just feel a little underwhelmed because there is nothing truly new content wise to get stuck in to.

All other months I've been very positive.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

So the "hard mode" for GWD will see the fight mechanics become similar to those from TWW, what about Zilyana and Nex then? Granted Nex is unlikely to be changed but Zilyana had no TWW mechanics, could be a nice surprise for the first people who pay her a visit.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Better remove my halo from the keepsake box just in case Jagex forgets to count the tickets properly a second time :rolleyes:

Looking forward to that CW update, hopefully it doesn't change important mechanics too much.

This except gold decorative (now profound) instead of a halo. :P

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

I am looking forward to quite a lot of things in this BTS:

Castle Wars: All I can say is finally, helmets! It will be sort of odd to see such a thing go since it's been part of Castle Wars for so long but it really should have never been there. Though, a pity that the Barrows Armour Era is gone and now the best armours don't really have set effects. I really wish they'd change the way OVLs work in there so you would retain the effect on death.

EoC: Looking forward to improvements. I do have some worries based on their statement that "Bandos will obviously be offensive armour". I had originally believed (when they first hinted at this) that we'd be able to modify each armour to get Defensive/Offensive versions, but if each armour is already given a fixed status of "offensive" or "defensive", then I can possibly see PoP armours getting shafted again in yet another effort to make Nex gear relevant.

Dual Wielding: It'd be great if we can bind Dual Weapons/Shields without the use of an extra bind slot.

God Wars: The items might crash, but it'd be worth it if the instanced version has new drops, that might have balancing effects. It would also be nice if the grave system for God Wars was made similar to KK. As things currently stand, because of how easy God Wars is, and how many high combat levels there are, most don't bother teaming anymore, it's either solos, FFA's, or very small teams - hence there is a risk if you take good armour there, you could lose it all for very little profit if you disconnect. Also. I was hoping that God Wars would be made harder overall, rather than having an easy version and an optional harder version (albeit with better rewards). If they do it this way, many will still opt for the easy version which is still sort of too easy.

Really though, if there's any boss that really needs an instanced version, it's Nex. On peak hours, quite literally, *every* single World is taken: LS, non-LS, and Language servers. That's also another side-effect of handing free XP everywhere; you get a lot more overcrowding. It's filled with all sorts of people that'd never been able to get into teams Pre-EoC. Still, looking forward to this update.

Hunter Sprites: Not that I do hunter anymore, and though I used to do these when they were for dailies, I gave up on these long ago for obvious reasons. Still, it's good of them to rework dead content, instead of letting it sit there dead and forcing us all to go there by adding some desirable reward.

• Like 1

The armour update to me suggests:

Ports as t85 defensive armour (e.g. useless).

Nex as t80 offensive armour (very good).

Barrows as t70 defensive.

GWD as t70 offensive.

Fighter torso etc. becomes offensive.

'Hybrid' is apparently a separate class so I'd expect void, obsidian and hybrid armour to fit in there, having no damage boost (and perhaps also no defence boost, if that's going to be added to defensive armour), so I'd expect that to get worse as well.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

EoC: Looking forward to improvements. I do have some worries based on their statement that "Bandos will obviously be offensive armour". I had originally believed (when they first hinted at this) that we'd be able to modify each armour to get Defensive/Offensive versions, but if each armour is already given a fixed status of "offensive" or "defensive", then I can possibly see PoP armours getting shafted again in yet another effort to make Nex gear relevant.

I can easily see GWD (including Nex) being the Offensive armour, while Barrows and Ports armour would be Defensive.

(Paraphrased, everyone is going to want GWD gear and Barrows/Ports armour will be used solely by those who aren't rich enough to afford GWD gear.)

inb4'd