Vorago Teaser - June 24th

Urza285

Maybe he'll come breaking out of the stone for the fight? Or we need a group of people mining away at him to fight him? :P.

That sounds feasible actually, and ties in nicely with the recent toolbelt upgrades...

LgEZt.png

Only people with gilded d picks are allowed in my group. Trying to keep things fancy

Are you really gonna send me back to LFM just so I can be part of the cool kids? -.-

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Only people with gilded d picks are allowed in my group. Trying to keep things fancy

Are you really gonna send me back to LFM just so I can be part of the cool kids? -.-

Dont worry mate, I can gild your pickaxe for free... just hand it here and it won't take a second!

• Like 4
meamzed.png

A couple of things they can do to ensure the boss can only be killed by a group, and not by 2 - 3 players after a couple of weeks:

- Give the boss a Berserk timer. What this means is that, if a boss isn't killed within, say, 5 minutes, the boss will go Berserk, drastically increasing its damage, basically one hitting players.

- Balance the boss' health at how much damage a group of players can do within a set amount of time. An example:

Let's say the boss is designed to be killed by at least 10 players with T80 equipment. Players with said equipment will deal... 1,000 DPS. The boss has a Berserk timer of 5 minutes.

Over the course of 5 minutes, the players will deal 3M damage. So to prevent the boss from being killed by only 2 - 3 players, or by a group of players with below T80 equipment, they could give the boss roughly 3M HP, with a Berserk timer of 5 minutes.

This is just a rough example, of course.

Give the boss a Berserk timer. What this means is that, if a boss isn't killed within, say, 5 minutes, the boss will go Berserk, drastically increasing its damage, basically one hitting players.

This is one of the worst mechanics for a boss. I take another game as example here, where monster hunting has a much more prominent role and has thus become much more matured, - diablo 3 -. Bosses used to have a rage timer there, after which they damaged 3-4 times as much. This has consistently been reduced, the timer got much longer and the damage reduced by a lot; thanks to player demand. It is a feat if you defeat certain difficult bosses, and it feels really like cheating when you are almost near a victory and then suddenly the boss "cheats".

Beserk timers and damage will always feel like arbitrary controll methods, and it will never be fun when you fall victim, only leading to frustration. If soloing is not wanted simply make the mechanics more difficult: ie the example that attacking from several sides at once deals more damage. Or maybe add more importance to roles (with new combat mechanics they could also make even more skills to deriviate between weaponstyles & playstyles/roles), while roles have been mostly absent in runescape - they do add to the feeling that you must help each other to balance everything out.

• Like 5
First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Give the boss a Berserk timer. What this means is that, if a boss isn't killed within, say, 5 minutes, the boss will go Berserk, drastically increasing its damage, basically one hitting players.

This is one of the worst mechanics for a boss. I take another game as example here, where monster hunting has a much more prominent role and has thus become much more matured, - diablo 3 -. Bosses used to have a rage timer there, after which they damaged 3-4 times as much. This has consistently been reduced, the timer got much longer and the damage reduced by a lot; thanks to player demand. It is a feat if you defeat certain difficult bosses, and it feels really like cheating when you are almost near a victory and then suddenly the boss "cheats".

Beserk timers and damage will always feel like arbitrary controll methods, and it will never be fun when you fall victim, only leading to frustration. If soloing is not wanted simply make the mechanics more difficult: ie the example that attacking from several sides at once deals more damage. Or maybe add more importance to roles (with new combat mechanics they could also make even more skills to deriviate between weaponstyles & playstyles/roles), while roles have been mostly absent in runescape - they do add to the feeling that you must help each other to balance everything out.

I agree with this. Imagine you and your friends sitting there spamming abilities and eating rocktails for 5 mins, *Rage Mode Activate*, you all instantly die. No thanks.

Tg_Ibe.png

Why does every boss have to be unsoloable? Can't we just have one that is fun?

A couple of things they can do to ensure the boss can only be killed by a group, and not by 2 - 3 players after a couple of weeks:

- Give the boss a Berserk timer. What this means is that, if a boss isn't killed within, say, 5 minutes, the boss will go Berserk, drastically increasing its damage, basically one hitting players.

- Balance the boss' health at how much damage a group of players can do within a set amount of time. An example:

Let's say the boss is designed to be killed by at least 10 players with T80 equipment. Players with said equipment will deal... 1,000 DPS. The boss has a Berserk timer of 5 minutes.

Over the course of 5 minutes, the players will deal 3M damage. So to prevent the boss from being killed by only 2 - 3 players, or by a group of players with below T80 equipment, they could give the boss roughly 3M HP, with a Berserk timer of 5 minutes.

This is just a rough example, of course.

Why not just have an RNG roll to see if you can enter the boss room for the next 5 minutes? Would serve the same purpose and spare you the wasted time.

• Like 1

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I'm a fan of the idea that every boss should be soloable given that you are skilled enough and you have the same tier equipment as the boss. KK is tier 8.5 and should be soloable in tier 8.5 equipment. We have as high of stats as him bar HP, we've been given a portion of Guthix's power and our equipment for weapons at least is higher than level than him. Should it be hard? Yes, should it be possible? Also yes.

I'm also a fan of enrage timers. I raided end game WoW all the way through WotLK and enrage timers force you to be good at your role, if too many people derp you won't get the kill in time and you die.

Diablo 3 just had terribly implemented enrage timers. A well designed enrage timer will never be an issue for teams who are properly geared and are skilled in their roles. Use lower tier equipment and screw up a few times and you won't succeed.

Also nothing I've done for bossing in Runescape has come anywhere close to the feeling that you get when you get the boss kill with less than 10 seconds on the enrage timer or in extreme cases (happened to me twice) you manage to finish off the last bit of HP after the timer has gone off and half your team has dropped. People will complain at first but it can be done right and it can add an element of enjoyment.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Perhaps have the boss despawn or have its defense raised very high if there are less than X people in the room?

If it is internded to be killed by 8 people, once there are 7 people there, you need to hold out for your 8th to get back or it will take much much longer to kill.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

can add an element of enjoyment.

How? Adding the pressure of time? There is already a "reward" for being faster: you get more kills / second. Together with the limit of supplies that makes bossing have already a time-cap: if you take too long because of lacking equipment it is better to do something else. However if someone really likes to take his time and just wishes to finish it he should be able to.

Now I do not think bosses should always be soloable: that simply removes a lot of teamwork & mechanics potential just to ensure a boss can be soloed. Working together is fun, that's why we come together in an online game. However people should also feel rewarded for actually working together; and in that sense a boss should require teamwork. Sure you could make teamwork become more efficient: but when you loose the requirement for soloable bosses you can add so many more mechanics and you can add so much more fun.

But once again: I am completely against "hard" numbers that prevent some way of killing. Rather it should be soft numbers OR -better yet- fighting mechanics.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

can add an element of enjoyment.

How? Adding the pressure of time? There is already a "reward" for being faster: you get more kills / second. Together with the limit of supplies that makes bossing have already a time-cap: if you take too long because of lacking equipment it is better to do something else. However if someone really likes to take his time and just wishes to finish it he should be able to.

Now I do not think bosses should always be soloable: that simply removes a lot of teamwork & mechanics potential just to ensure a boss can be soloed. Working together is fun, that's why we come together in an online game. However people should also feel rewarded for actually working together; and in that sense a boss should require teamwork. Sure you could make teamwork become more efficient: but when you loose the requirement for soloable bosses you can add so many more mechanics and you can add so much more fun.

But once again: I am completely against "hard" numbers that prevent some way of killing. Rather it should be soft numbers OR -better yet- fighting mechanics.

If you've come up against an enrage timer and barely scraped by in other games you would understand what I mean by an element of enjoyment. People will kill it for the enjoyment of the challenge in addition to the cash.

Of course I also think the drop system for bosses should be completely different. My personal preference is that everyone who contributes to the kill gets a 100% drop which is untradeable that you use to make untradeable armor/weapons. In addition everyone gets a "common" drop of something tradeable such as sharks, prayer potions, seeds, etc that you can use yourself or sell for modest profit. The third is that everyone has a % chance of receiving a rare drop which increases to a cap based on how many players are in the party so that you have a better shot at rare loot if you party up.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

The third is that everyone has a % chance of receiving a rare drop which increases to a cap based on how many players are in the party so that you have a better shot at rare loot if you party up.

Wouldn't that just end up with having a full fc with 100 people as you would gain a better drop rate and faster kills, in addition to the current downside of having smaller shares being gone? They would end up setting an upper limit on the number of players rather than a lower one.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

The third is that everyone has a % chance of receiving a rare drop which increases to a cap based on how many players are in the party so that you have a better shot at rare loot if you party up.

Wouldn't that just end up with having a full fc with 100 people as you would gain a better drop rate and faster kills, in addition to the current downside of having smaller shares being gone? They would end up setting an upper limit on the number of players rather than a lower one.

Cap it out at 5, 6, or 8 people (however many you want). I.e. having more than 5 people (if that's the cap) does not provide a further boost to your % chance of getting the rare drop. You would always want at least that many people then (takes away the want for duo/solo if that's the goal that they have), and having more people means faster kills so more chances total at the loot.

witchynosaur.png

Cap it out at 5, 6, or 8 people (however many you want). I.e. having more than 5 people (if that's the cap) does not provide a further boost to your % chance of getting the rare drop. You would always want at least that many people then (takes away the want for duo/solo if that's the goal that they have), and having more people means faster kills so more chances total at the loot.

More people is also more people to share the loot with is also less lewts for ya =D!

There has to be a trade-off!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I don't like enrage timers that simply double damage after 5 minutes or something crude like that. A system that's more like Bal'lak or Guthan/Dharok is better imo. It should be that it is extremely inefficient to take too long, but not impossible. That also allows lower levels to get to know the boss a bit.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I don't like enrage timers that simply double damage after 5 minutes or something crude like that. A system that's more like Bal'lak or Guthan/Dharok is better imo. It should be that it is extremely inefficient to take too long, but not impossible. That also allows lower levels to get to know the boss a bit.

I feel like bringing up a boss from another game that simply flew away after the time was up. Players still got a reward for killing it, but it was much smaller than the one they would have had if they did get the kill (very useful items and resources, as opposed to a chance at endgame gear and a guarantee of it if they got the killing blow). Its health wasn't restored on respawn, but it got slightly stronger every time it was killed.

I feel like bringing up a boss from another game that simply flew away after the time was up. Players still got a reward for killing it, but it was much smaller than the one they would have had if they did get the kill (very useful items and resources, as opposed to a chance at endgame gear and a guarantee of it if they got the killing blow). Its health wasn't restored on respawn, but it got slightly stronger every time it was killed.

That sounds like the Ur-Dragon, but that boss' combat mechanics are way different. Also, whoever helped with the kill got a reward when someone finally killed it. Not sure if the one that dealt the final blow got something.

But it's probably not that boss you're talking about

EDIT: Oh wait, if you deal the final blow you do get special stuff

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

That sounds like the Ur-Dragon, but that boss' combat mechanics are way different. Also, whoever helped with the kill got a reward when someone finally killed it. Not sure if the one that dealt the final blow got something.

It is, but at this point I should probably mention that I've never actually managed to kill it. :razz:

It is, but at this point I should probably mention that I've never actually managed to kill it. :razz:

Me neither, never tried really, not worth it with the current generation and not being maxed :/.

But that tactic wouldn't work as well on RuneScape, I think the berserk timer would be better

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

More people is also more people to share the loot with is also less lewts for ya =D!

There has to be a trade-off!

Did you even read what I wrote about how I think the loot system should work?

1. Everyone gets an untradeable 100% drop that you can accumulate over time to eventually craft into your own untradeable armor that is half a tier higher than the tradeable armor you can get as a drop.

2. Everyone gets a random drop that can be sold for small profits (food, potions, seeds etc.)

3. Everyone gets a % chance at receiving a rare drop that increases based on the number of people in the party to a cap (i.e. everyone has a 0.01% chance at getting a BCP at bandos but if you go in a team of 5 people it goes up to 0.05%. More than one person could get a rare drop from the same kill but upping the rarity would solve problems of too many being introduced and consistent PvMers would be using the superior versions long term anyway. If 8 people are in the party they all only have a 0.05% chance at the rare drops because it's capped at 5 people for a boost.)

All drops go directly into your inventory if you have space, directly into your bank if you don't have space but your bank does with a chatbox notification of what you got, or on the floor directly under your feet if you have no space in either.

• Like 2

witchynosaur.png