11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

Has anyone had any luck after the patch at maxing out their unwanted effects at 3x and continue to get only good effects from random events? I have all my rewards capped except adventure re-rolls, voyage re-rolls and visiting captain and as long as I use them before my next random event I continue to only receive those as rewards.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

::
:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

Should I save for the fourth ship first, or get new crew? What are the new guys' levels? I've replaced all my crew by scythe guys, who are all between level 5 and 8, so I'm not sure if they're that needed at the start of the Bowl.

I believe crew and then ship is the most suitable (Especially if you have all the upgrades already and dont really need going back), seeing you need 10k to get the 4th ship and it would take like 5-6(¿?) days to obtain all that jade (120-180 each regular voyage..maybe a 600 one special?), whereas getting better crew will help increase the % of success by a nice number using only 3.6k jade (counting 6 basic crewman for each stat at 200 jade each).

Base stat crew is 1k, level 3 jade crew has the same stats as lvl 7 scythe crew which is quite a bit of difference.

Thanks for the advice! It's unlikely I'll be able to resist spending some jade before going for the 10k anyway. Base stat crew being 1k is a bit disappointing though, even if it rises quickly. I have several Scythe guys with over 1.3k by now.

On another note, has anyone noticed how female crew only exists in the lower ranks, good fortune wenches aside? There's a glass ceiling in the RS ship industry, you guys.

Has anyone had any luck after the patch at maxing out their unwanted effects at 3x and continue to get only good effects from random events? I have all my rewards capped except adventure re-rolls, voyage re-rolls and visiting captain and as long as I use them before my next random event I continue to only receive those as rewards.

Try only using one or two after maxing. I think you get others to fill it plus better ones.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I only use the important ones, i.e. voyage re-rolls, adventure re-rolls and captain re-rolls and that's the only rewards I have been receiving from events. At this point I've never received a message stating that I have reached my cap in any particular effect and that's after 3-4 random events. Is that dumb luck or do you only receive that max message after EVERYTHING is capped?

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

Should I save for the fourth ship first, or get new crew? What are the new guys' levels? I've replaced all my crew by scythe guys, who are all between level 5 and 8, so I'm not sure if they're that needed at the start of the Bowl.

I believe crew and then ship is the most suitable (Especially if you have all the upgrades already and dont really need going back), seeing you need 10k to get the 4th ship and it would take like 5-6(¿?) days to obtain all that jade (120-180 each regular voyage..maybe a 600 one special?), whereas getting better crew will help increase the % of success by a nice number using only 3.6k jade (counting 6 basic crewman for each stat at 200 jade each).

Base stat crew is 1k, level 3 jade crew has the same stats as lvl 7 scythe crew which is quite a bit of difference.

Thanks for the advice! It's unlikely I'll be able to resist spending some jade before going for the 10k anyway. Base stat crew being 1k is a bit disappointing though, even if it rises quickly. I have several Scythe guys with over 1.3k by now.

On another note, has anyone noticed how female crew only exists in the lower ranks, good fortune wenches aside? There's a glass ceiling in the RS ship industry, you guys.

I think the bowl morale crew is a woman

2s0cxth.png

The Sea Witch is female, as is one of the base crew members in Bowl :).

Regarding crew vs. 4th ship, I think it would be a dangerous risk to go after the 4th ship before crew. When you first start Bowl, you're losing 200-300 stat points each to replace your level 7 Scythe crew members with level 0 Bowl crew. This is a tricky loss to manage, but it's worth it since you're looking at 400+ extra stat points each once the new guys reach level 7. Also, the new crew members reach level 3-4 after only 1-2 missions in Bowl, putting them at par.

However if you wait until after 10k+ Jade into the Bowl before starting to make the replacements, then you'll be dropping your stats by significant amounts right as you're leaving behind the easy entry missions and moving on to the tougher missions found in each region. With missions now lasting 7-9 hours, sending missions out at 60% and failing is a much more significant setback than before. You could easily find yourself stuck for several days with little advancement.

I plan to get most crew members, the rudder, and maybe the Hull of Glory before the 4th ship. I'm iffy on the hull, but it would offer +750 morale compared to the last morale hull available.

By the way, how does everyone plan to set up their crew? Up until now, I've been using only 5 each for the main core stat guys, but with a 4th ship on the way I figure I'll need 6 each for the flexibility. My currently planned lineup is:

3 Judge of Dice

2 Jade Merchants

1 Jade Golem

1 Sea Witch

6 each of Farcrier / Bounty Hunter / Sea Dog

Edit: I think that the 25% cap on voyage time reduction must have been a last-minute change to ports, and not something planned from the beginning. Bowl voyages reach minimum time at 2300 speed, and the speed crew member for Bowl gives +2500 speed. What would be the point of designing such a crew member unless it was originally possible to cut voyages times down further? Weighing the tradeoffs of using speed crew members would be far more interesting without the cap.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I think that's your best setup except drop the golem and add another sea witch. I've never owned a golem and think they are a waste.

~ Arcane Rift ~

I think that's your best setup except drop the golem and add another sea witch. I've never owned a golem and think they are a waste.

I don't use golems for their special ability, but I've found the Chimeras' combat/morale stat combo to be pretty useful from time to time, and Jade Golems are a stat upgrade from Chimeras. Both the Sea Witch and Jade Golem have 1050 base stat points compared to the 1000 of standard Bowl crew members.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Gah - I unlocked the sea with island 7 days ago - never had a sea witch for hire. Randomness is al what RS is based around but this is ridiculous.

Just be grateful you had the mission, been in scthye for a week, about 60% done and not received the mission to unlock the Seawitch... That is rediculous, at least you have a chance of unlocking the Sea Witch, but if i can't get the mission then i can't get a chance of a sea witch... All that cherry wood wasted on cartographers...

I think you didn't really read/understand my post... What use is unlocking the island and then not getting any chance to recruit the unit? I literally had 7*15 + 5*5 (rerolls) = 130 chances to get one and didn't get any. I would rather have the mission be rare and then plenty of opportunity to recruit the unit once you unlock the island...

I understood what you said, but you had 130 chances to get a seawitch, i have had none as i've not got the sea witch island mission yet. When i finally get the sea Witch mission done i could go through 100 crew rerolls and not get the Sea Witch, at which point i'll be in the Bowl Area and be missing out on the stat bonuses of the Sea witch.

[spoiler=Sig]oliboli1992.png

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

The Sea Witch is female, as is one of the base crew members in Bowl :).

Regarding crew vs. 4th ship, I think it would be a dangerous risk to go after the 4th ship before crew. When you first start Bowl, you're losing 200-300 stat points each to replace your level 7 Scythe crew members with level 0 Bowl crew. This is a tricky loss to manage, but it's worth it since you're looking at 400+ extra stat points each once the new guys reach level 7. Also, the new crew members reach level 3-4 after only 1-2 missions in Bowl, putting them at par.

However if you wait until after 10k+ Jade into the Bowl before starting to make the replacements, then you'll be dropping your stats by significant amounts right as you're leaving behind the easy entry missions and moving on to the tougher missions found in each region. With missions now lasting 7-9 hours, sending missions out at 60% and failing is a much more significant setback than before. You could easily find yourself stuck for several days with little advancement.

I plan to get most crew members, the rudder, and maybe the Hull of Glory before the 4th ship. I'm iffy on the hull, but it would offer +750 morale compared to the last morale hull available.

By the way, how does everyone plan to set up their crew? Up until now, I've been using only 5 each for the main core stat guys, but with a 4th ship on the way I figure I'll need 6 each for the flexibility. My currently planned lineup is:

3 Judge of Dice

2 Jade Merchants

1 Jade Golem

1 Sea Witch

6 each of Farcrier / Bounty Hunter / Sea Dog

Edit: I think that the 25% cap on voyage time reduction must have been a last-minute change to ports, and not something planned from the beginning. Bowl voyages reach minimum time at 2300 speed, and the speed crew member for Bowl gives +2500 speed. What would be the point of designing such a crew member unless it was originally possible to cut voyages times down further? Weighing the tradeoffs of using speed crew members would be far more interesting without the cap.

That setup sounds about right and the same I am aiming for, except as someone else mentioned maybe the golem can be dropped.

I doubt merchants are of high use whilst building up crew/ship upgrades.. after that they might come in handy

Emaxganis.png

Rule #14 - Don't argue with trolls, it means they win.

I think the bowl morale crew is a woman

Seems same rough gender balanced throughout

Arc:

2 Women

7 men

2 Fantasy

Skull:

2 Women

4 Men

2 Fantasy

Hook:

2 Women

4 Men

2 Fantasy

Scythe:

2 Women

5 Men

1 Fantasy

Bowl:

3 Women

4 Men

1 Fantasy

NB: I counted all the traders as women, this could be debated but the earrings, general face shape and eyes seem to match their women faces more than the men imo. Looking closely it's just shading on their chins though at a glance it does look like a goatee; the only exception is Scythe where it does look much blacker and more defined so might be intended as a man.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't use golems for their special ability, but I've found the Chimeras' combat/morale stat combo to be pretty useful from time to time, and Jade Golems are a stat upgrade from Chimeras. Both the Sea Witch and Jade Golem have 1050 base stat points compared to the 1000 of standard Bowl crew members.

Yeah I wasn't thinking specials either but now that I look at the chart I could see the use for them in this region. Prior regions always had the specialized class with better stats than the golem going into it so it seemed irrelevant but this time since the witch has morale and seafaring instead of morale and combat there could be a use for them here.

~ Arcane Rift ~

Yeah I wasn't thinking specials either but now that I look at the chart I could see the use for them in this region. Prior regions always had the specialized class with better stats than the golem going into it so it seemed irrelevant but this time since the witch has morale and seafaring instead of morale and combat there could be a use for them here.

Sea Witch lvl 6 has 1200 seafaring+570 morale, unless there's another one in jade region? I havent seen one yet

Emaxganis.png

I meant the Siren and Chimera were already better than the golem in the next region making them irrelevant but since the Witch has seafaring and morale then the jade golem has more of a use going into the Bowl than the other golems had in previous regions.

~ Arcane Rift ~

I meant the Siren and Chimera were already better than the golem in the next region making them irrelevant but since the Witch has seafaring and morale then the jade golem has more of a use going into the Bowl than the other golems had in previous regions.

I got it now :P

Emaxganis.png

Got cherrywood golem with Tough as Nail perk, does that mean that he can avoid death while trying save crew member so i dont lost anyone in this case ? Anyone ?

"Mieć milion i nie mieć miliona to razem dwa miliony" A. Sapkowski

Got cherrywood golem with Tough as Nail perk, does that mean that he can avoid death while trying save crew member so i dont lost anyone in this case ? Anyone ?

I would put that golem with your best crew on a mission with 0% success rate to test it. :thumbup:

(only being half-sarcastic if you can't tell)

77yLQy8.png

Does anyone know precisely how resource multipliers are calculated?

I sent a ship out earlier for 40 bamboo with Fortune of the Sea, 10% bonus from Warehouse and a Trader for 20%. It gave me 57 bamboo.

I calculated this means ROUND_DOWN(ROUND_DOWN(ROUND_DOWN(BASE*BOOST)*BOOST)*BOOST) (Or each step rounded down for ease). But does in which order the multipliers are applied?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Does anyone know precisely how resource multipliers are calculated?

I sent a ship out earlier for 40 bamboo with Fortune of the Sea, 10% bonus from Warehouse and a Trader for 20%. It gave me 57 bamboo.

I calculated this means ROUND_DOWN(ROUND_DOWN(ROUND_DOWN(BASE*BOOST)*BOOST)*BOOST) (Or each step rounded down for ease). But does in which order the multipliers are applied?

It does it additively, rather than multiplicatively:

40 + 40*0.1 + 40*0.2 + 40*0.1 = 56

Not quite 57 for some reason though...

Yes, so what you said can't be right.

Doing it all multiplicatively 40*1.1*1.1*1.2 gives 58.4, rounded down to 58. But I got 57

Doing it 40*(1+.1+.1+.2) gives 56.

So I figured out it had to round down after every multiplication, which gave me either 57.2 or 57.6, both of which round down to 57.

• Like 1

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Finally get into the bowl today, perfect timing for my bairmaid's tip and she gives me 350 gunpowder. What a wench!

~ Arcane Rift ~