11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

personally, i like the missionary the most... he is most like real life, and jagex have done well on him... (ps dont get on my back religious people, just saying... crusades anyone?)

I'm starting to get the feeling that this is the only way that video game writers knows how to write a religious character. More a failing on the industry as a whole than it is for Jagex. It's like, yes, every fantasy/sci-fi game for the last thirty years has had churches populated entirely with insane crusaders and nothing else, we get the message... <_<

Granted, they're usually the villains, but this time he's supposed to be on your side. The hell is up with that, Jagex?

personally, i like the missionary the most... he is most like real life, and jagex have done well on him... (ps dont get on my back religious people, just saying... crusades anyone?)

I'm starting to get the feeling that this is the only way that video game writers knows how to write a religious character. More a failing on the industry as a whole than it is for Jagex. It's like, yes, every fantasy/sci-fi game for the last thirty years has had churches populated entirely with insane crusaders and nothing else, we get the message... <_<

Granted, they're usually the villains, but this time he's supposed to be on your side. The hell is up with that, Jagex?

Fallout 3 did have those cool guys who worshiped the atomic bomb.

• Like 1

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Thing is, he isn't really a villian.... really depends on your point of view. and i dont think you are really going to tell me there arn't religious extremist irl who are like that... the more like real life the storyline gets(aka the more depressing and non fairytale) the better.

meamzed.png

Completely slipped my mind because I'm not used to character depth in a Bethesda game :razz:

For the record, I'm not trying to say that there aren't/never were people like that, I'm saying that the video game industry uses that characterization about as much as it uses fanservice and dull brown environments, and I'm starting to think it's lazy writing more than anything else: "Let's make this story gritty and realistic by adding religious extremists!" instead of using actual maturity and depth.

Completely slipped my mind because I'm not used to character depth in a Bethesda game :razz:

For the record, I'm not trying to say that there aren't/never were people like that, I'm saying that the video game industry uses that characterization about as much as it uses fanservice and dull brown environments, and I'm starting to think it's lazy writing more than anything else: "Let's make this story gritty and realistic by adding religious extremists!" instead of using actual maturity and depth.

It is mature and deep, but it's old hat and entirely cliche at this point. However, Runescape has had a lot of religious extremism since the gods were introduced anyway Now we're actually hearing the story from one of their sides, as opposed to "Oh my God/Saradomin/Guthix, an evil Satanic/Zamorakian/Zarosian/Bandos/Menaphite monk! Let's kill him for some prayer xp or something!"

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I like how saradomin has evolved from being omg yes good guys go go go, to more of an ultra opposite to zamorak, fighting evil with evil. I've always felt that the wishy washy nonsense about saradomin always being the good guy was... wishy washy nonsense... It isn't realistic, and is designed for a childrens game. Saradomin is just another being, as is being shown (no, i will not pardon the pun.) and seems to definetly be willing to get down and dirty over gelienor.

That said... I like the biologist storyline the most... wish i had 90 theiving for the convict, would be interesting.

meamzed.png

I like how saradomin has evolved from being omg yes good guys go go go, to more of an ultra opposite to zamorak, fighting evil with evil. I've always felt that the wishy washy nonsense about saradomin always being the good guy was... wishy washy nonsense... It isn't realistic, and is designed for a childrens game. Saradomin is just another being, as is being shown (no, i will not pardon the pun.) and seems to definetly be willing to get down and dirty over gelienor.

That said... I like the biologist storyline the most... wish i had 90 theiving for the convict, would be interesting.

Worth noting Saradomin is NOT the opposite of Zamorak

In the Guthixian balance thing

Armadyl is Justice as an the opposing force to Bandos War

Saradomin is Wisdom as an opposing force to Zaros Might*

Zamorak is the pretender god who represents Chaos and thus is an opposite to the entire Balance system Guthix represents.

*This is unconfirmed lorically, but jmods have alluded to it and what we know of Zaros fits with it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The good thing about the Biologist is that she means well, she really does, but she is flawed in the way she looks at them more as test subjects than actual squid octopus fish people, and also the fact that progress is being made. All that toghether makes her really likeable imo.

Whaler is probably the most boring of he 4 i have access to, i can see where the story can go deaper into Quin Territory and probably saving a village on the dual storyline, but it's so... bland by now.

Assassin is a classic revenge story, kinda meh, I didn't know she didn't have one hand though, the model isn't very specific. I'm very curious if the occultist that was with Quin during the assassination attempt is Zuzu or not.

Already did my piece on Tomlin, dude's a psycho, he might mean well in his (very) twisted ideology, but I simply cannot justify harming people for faith, unlike Bethan who harms them as a byprocess of researching into revolutionary science who can potentially save millions.

And I've heard a couple of lines in RS wiki from the Convict, love his voice acting, and the line about the blackmailing on the white knights was amazing.

How long is every storylane ? Is it like 1 story per adventurer per region ? Also someone mentioned that its worth doing them for big reward at very end.

"Mieć milion i nie mieć miliona to razem dwa miliony" A. Sapkowski

How long is every storylane ? Is it like 1 story per adventurer per region ? Also someone mentioned that its worth doing them for big reward at very end.

Thus far it does seem to be 1 story instalment per region, however since we are not psychic it is impossible to say if this is the limits of the story or if there will be a bulk of end-game story missions in the final region.

Stories offer big trade good payouts (according to jmods) for being finished plus completing the right 3 unlocks triple adventurer stories for even bigger payouts.

It would seem the triples are set to be Botanist, Missionary, Convict and Occultist, Whaler, Assassin.

Whilst this is purely speculative at this stage we have a fair bit of evidence to back up these sets.

Firstly comp cape (t) claim reqs states complete the Quin and Hyu-Ti stories, so we have the ball park of the stories.

Moving beyond this the Botanist wants to study the sea orphans (I and i believe ultimately protect them), The Missionary is trying to convert the orphans to Saradominism and The Convict has become Khan of the sea orphans and all 3 of these stories centre on the island of Hyu-Ti.

Meanwhile the Occultist is on the run from the 'Khan of the Sea' who wants her immortality. The Whaler is obsessed with Shuma the Whale who transpires to want revenge for how a mighty sea singer has used the sea monsters. The Assassin is looking to stop the Death Lotus coming after her after she failed to assassinate Quin. The powerful sea singer is also known as the Khan of the Sea who happens to go by the name of Quin.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

offtopic: i've theorized that zaro's philosophy was being a huge, self centered jerk to as many people as possible a la ayn rand, based on all of his followers

as for saradomin, i'm pretty sure the HAM storyline is super old, and when you fight that racist jerk on the train tracks, saradomin totally lets him pray for protection despite taking his beliefs too far, so that's not exactly a huge revelation that he doesn't play by the book. god of "wisdom" after all.

anyway, i'd like to see how the whaler's story culminates when he figures out the reason why shuma is rushing to the last region.

8f14270694.jpg

Zaros is this dude who gives us cool prayers and spells. I think he's secretly the Santa of Power.

He ruled a pretty huge empire back in the day, and not badly afaik, so I'm guessing he's not totally self-centered.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

anyway, i'd like to see how the whaler's story culminates when he figures out the reason why shuma is rushing to the last region.

I can't help but think that the Whaler's story would be awesome if we got to see it through more than that paragraph of dialogue that sandwiches each mission. He'd easily be my favorite of the three characters I have unlocked if the rivalry he's describing showed up on screen.

My theory is that it's building up to the point where Hubbub realizes that Shuma is trying to get revenge on Quin for tricking it into fighting Hubbub, and ends up becoming the best whaler/whale tag team since Japan made those robotic hunting whales.

Think about it, what would be the best way to fight a lot of mind controlled sea creatures? A pissed off whaler riding a pissed off whale.

• Like 3

8f14270694.jpg

My theory is that it's building up to the point where Hubbub realizes that Shuma is trying to get revenge on Quin for tricking it into fighting Hubbub, and ends up becoming the best whaler/whale tag team since Japan made those robotic hunting whales.

Think about it, what would be the best way to fight a lot of mind controlled sea creatures? A pissed off whaler riding a pissed off whale.

tumblr_menekiHaqn1rt0qhbo1_500.png

My favorite storyline so far is the convict, just because it's having a lot of fun with zany situations. Also I think he's right to be taking the player character down a peg or two considering that to get him we have to be 90 thief.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Nautical shipwright:

ZuKJD.jpg

Next one up is going to be refurbished lodgings and daredevil lodgings.

Also working on my 28th story voyages for the assassin.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

If they don't allow us to see a cutscene where this happens...

Well, no cutscenes allows you to use your own imagination, I always like that. However, RS cutscenes tend to be good, so I wouldn't mind. Maybe one large cutscene at the very end of the two storylines?

Also I am hoping we actuallly get to see the island - that we can go there and visit them!

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

[hide=STATS]Noobz.png[/hide]

Failed 2/3 of my first jade voyages :( thats not a fun way to reach to the bowl.. and they were all 90% success :/

That's ok I failed one too. As the saying goes "shit happens" and so maybe it was the seafarers fault. Maybe he got a rough bit of sleep the night before? Lol

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png