20-Aug-2013 - Divination

Saradomin_Mage

One of the current things is that they have been asking J-Mods to open up old user-names for them, so they can have them -- and guess what? Dozens of people have had J-Mods grant their wishes. So don't kid yourself, if they wanted it done, they'd do it.

Hold on now. Not to interrupt the thread or anything but this is actually happening? Is it the kind of thing where you have to be elite to have this done, or could someone with my stats make a request and actually get a name out of it if it's reasonable for them to do so?

Because this is something from my Scape bucket list and if it's the former I might collapse into some kind of hate-singularity.

Apologies for me staying off-topic, but here it is:

4wleG.png

I sadly missed this "promotion", because who visits HLF anyway, right?

For those of you who want a certain username, here's a small hint you might not have known about:

Add the username you want to your ignore list. As soon as it gets freed up, the name will be changed to something random, and, if you're quick, you can nab it!

EDIT: On-topic .. 97 Divination. Yay?!.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Apologies for me staying off-topic, but here it is:

4wleG.png

I sadly missed this "promotion", because who visits HLF anyway, right?

The thread was made so that Mod Jane could get a list of the more "desirable" display names, identify why they haven't been freed, potentially modify criteria for freeing up names, and then release as many names as possible for all players.

There was no special "promotion" where anyone posting on the thread was going to get a free display name change, and any display names that get freed up in this process can be nabbed by anyone (potentially even the name-sniping bots, though Jane is trying to ensure that this does not happen).

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Why was the thread only posted on the HLF then?

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

The amount of work Mod Jane would have to do if she posted it in General would easily be 10 times more.

Remember, these names are getting freed for everyone, not just HLFers.

6Ij0n.jpg

I'd love it if "Ambler" were to be freed up. I've had it in the past, but miss it. :sad:

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

The amount of work Mod Jane would have to do if she posted it in General would easily be 10 times more.

I always think this is a double edged sword.

Yes on the one hand posting in HLF ensures that the thread is more managable and the mod can be more responsive to feedback but equally when they are trying to gauge what the community as a whole feels it is kinda biased and restrictive to only open that discussion to one subset of players who are by no means representative of the whole community.

On one side you have the jmod being less directly responsive to what was said but getting the whole picture, but on the other you have the jmod able to direct respond but only viewing one piece of the jigsaw.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I always think this is a double edged sword.

Yes on the one hand posting in HLF ensures that the thread is more managable and the mod can be more responsive to feedback but equally when they are trying to gauge what the community as a whole feels it is kinda biased and restrictive to only open that discussion to one subset of players who are by no means representative of the whole community.

On one side you have the jmod being less directly responsive to what was said but getting the whole picture, but on the other you have the jmod able to direct respond but only viewing one piece of the jigsaw.

When it comes to display names, though, I'm pretty sure there's a specifically desirable set of names that would be pretty much consistent throughout the whole of the community, whether in the main RSOF or the HLF. Most people would go after things like their own name (Luke, Jake), an object name (Chisel, Knife), a name in popular culture, or generally some kind of RS-unique name (Amascut). The guys you ask in General/RGU wouldn't be much different from the subset in the HLF.

This is only for display names though, if you asked about things like training methods, skill rewards and the like, of course the HLF would be vastly different.

6Ij0n.jpg

Seeing is believing.

4K469.png

Apparently the new rumors are that Divination bonus experience will be allowed this Tuesday. Would be pretty cool if that GM quest gave us even more lamps. :wink:

Inb4 we get a combat lamp and another lamp dedicated to mining or smithing.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Watch the new reward be a 250k XP lamp for Mining/Strength :P

As long as it's not for skills at 98+ only, I'm fine with that. :lol:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

As long as it's not for skills at 98+ only, I'm fine with that. :lol:

So that you can get a lamp worth 15 minutes of tentscaping? :>

6Ij0n.jpg

Yes. I expect it will be Mining/Smithing. Which isn't exactly illogical (the quest will obviously be about smithing/mining and Dwarves), but it would be a nice bonus for it to have some open lamps (since GM quests do tend to give some free-to-choose lamps). However, I am not actually expecting any Divination experience from it, it will probably be Smithing/Mining.

There are now 1500 people at 99 Divination exactly. Suomi is rank 1501.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

He's only a few points away from 99. He's apparently not getting 99 so Jake can play make-believe and pretend he's rank #1 or something. :wink:

Still, the number of players at 99 is quite a lot. Usually that takes a lot more time.

You know, two months ago I would think "wow, grats man" whenever I saw someone get 99 in all skills

Now I'm like "derplet" when I see

Nooblet has gotten 99 in all skills

You cook a shark.

Nothing interesting happens.

Nooblet has achieved 99 divination!

• Like 2

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

He's only a few points away from 99. He's apparently not getting 99 so Jake can play make-believe and pretend he's rank #1 or something. :wink:

Still, the number of players at 99 is quite a lot. Usually that takes a lot more time.

Quite an interesting point that you bring up here. How comes so many people got 99 Divination so fast? Even though it is a rather slow skill?

I think that this is mostly because the increasing 'eliteness' of the players in the game. Over time more and more people get higher levels. Of course a lot of people quit, but this thing with so many people already having 99 Divination shows how far this game have really come now when it comes to this special point. A big part of the game's players are all in for the most challenging parts the game has to offer. And rushes the new content that comes out. In all honesty, because of this, I am not at all surprised so many have got 99 Divination already. More people will probably get the next new skill to max even quicker, even if it was as slow as Divination and even if the playerbase decreases because of this growing amount of 'elite' players.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

There are a lot of maxed Divination players because the community has declined in number and is now more disproportionately dominated by veterans and older players. The rate of newer players joining is abysmal, as is the number of free players and newbies. Also, the culture of efficiency above all has been firmly entrenched. Everyone is interested in getting levels and less interested in fun and 'time-wasting'. All of this adds up to lots of people getting 99 Divination very fast despite it being a slow skill, by means of probably fiercely grinding.

There are a lot of maxed Divination players because the community has declined in number and is now more disproportionately dominated by veterans and older players. The rate of newer players joining is abysmal, as is the number of free players and newbies. Also, the culture of efficiency above all has been firmly entrenched. Everyone is interested in getting levels and less interested in fun and 'time-wasting'. All of this adds up to lots of people getting 99 Divination very fast despite it being a slow skill, by means of probably fiercely grinding.

You put it down in words much better than I did. This is precisely what I meant by my previous post. Basically we are getting a turned upside down pyramid here, with few new players being the tip of the pyramid at the bottom, and lots of veterans at the base of the pyramid at the top. I'm not so sure that that is for good...:/

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

You put it down in words much better than I did. This is precisely what I meant by my previous post. Basically we are getting a turned upside down pyramid here, with few new players being the tip of the pyramid at the bottom, and lots of veterans at the base of the pyramid at the top. I'm not so sure that that is for good...:/

Yes I have long begrudged this development. It also means that no update, no matter how high-leveled or well planned, will ever have the excitement of the past updates, because there will be thousands of players who are Maxed out. We will never have something like the great race to 85 Slayer of 2005. This was enabled not only by the culture of efficiency, but also by Jagex throwing away bonus experience extremely carelessly and recklessly in the past several years (even predating the SoF). It's had a very devastating effect on the game, in my view. They have completely destabilized the game for short-term profit (the various bonus weekends and the SoF), and out of shortsightedness. Any time a game is reduced to its hardcore base, that's usually a bad thing. There must be a balance between newer players and older players, their numbers and the amount of influence they control.

Now we are getting more and more players who are not only willing to chase 200M but actually getting it. I can actually foresee the day where Jagex will give in to their demands, and lift the 99 cap and add more levels (there are always threads in HLF asking for this). This will only be more burdensome to the rest of us, who have no interest in going for 200M.

It's good to see that he returned with all that nutty bitterness from when he left for LOL.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Also Divination was something that anyone who wanted to compete could. Similar to the Bulldog and Farmyard Rampage challenges people will compete just for the sake of competing. Divination was basically a matter of grinding and to an extent money if you were buying energy. It had no other barriers to competing.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.