20-Aug-2013 - Divination

Saradomin_Mage

Except that there's similar cheating in basically every game, regardless of how competitive they are. At what point does it stop being the developers' fault and start being the player's?

Never, it's always somebody else's fault.

I blame cigarette companies for my smoking addiction

• Like 4

imp7C.jpg

(22:28:44) <@Leik> LE INTORNUTZ SPEEK xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Mish.png

For what it's worth, you now get a chat message when a chronicle spawns for you.

Yep definitely a good thing. It's nice to have something to help draw the line between moments of chilling back and getting your own stuff and being that guy who's sniping every damn chronicle in sight.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

For what it's worth, you now get a chat message when a chronicle spawns for you.

Now it would be nice if they make them easier to click on! Sometimes I go crazy when it moves around like mad and I missclick 20 times. :mad:.

• Like 1

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Now it would be nice if they make them easier to click on! Sometimes I go crazy when it moves around like mad and I missclick 20 times. :mad:.

Making them slightly bigger or less fast would do the trick.

i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn5a_zps2bfec315.png

- and that son of a [bleep] who clicked once always gets it. [bleep] him - and that glorified chronicle fragment too!

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Sorry for the confusion. I used "they" as a gender neutral pronoun. I haven't been following the discussion too closely, so I don't know what Im Choice's gender is.

~M

Someone correct me if I am wrong but is it not analogous to saying that fast food outlets "take advantage" of our hunger to sell their products.

It's much more complicated than that. While it may be a good comparrison, you're making the fast food stores sound much more inocent than they really are. Similar to Jagex, they take advantage of people because they want to make a profit. People who are educated enough to limit themselves won't be affected, as for the others..

Tg_Ibe.png

If Jagex doesn't take advantage of these people, some other company will anyways.

That's never really an excuse, but putting that aside, their business model is failing. They're profitable, sure, but their player base is shrinking and is a mere fraction of what it used to be. This is because people no longer have time for nonsense where leisurely games feel like work, with little reward. New players are not being recruited as fast as they used to be in the past, and f2p has suffered a stark decline. It's simply not marketable. RS is losing to other games, and its losing fast.

If Jagex doesn't take advantage of these people, some other company will anyways.

That's never really an excuse, but putting that aside, their business model is failing. They're profitable, sure, but their player base is shrinking and is a mere fraction of what it used to be. This is because people no longer have time for nonsense where leisurely games feel like work, with little reward. New players are not being recruited as fast as they used to be in the past, and f2p has suffered a stark decline. It's simply not marketable. RS is losing to other games, and its losing fast.

That's been a well known fact for a very long-time. Nothing new. Jagex do not look like they are stopping with content updates for a while anyway, which is the only thing dedicated players should fear.

I don't understand what you're trying to say, besides re-iterating what everyone has known for years.

• Like 1

imp7C.jpg

(22:28:44) <@Leik> LE INTORNUTZ SPEEK xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Mish.png

Jagex is putting out better, bigger, updates. Yes they are still (possibly incorrectly) targeting the grind based market. However, the scope, dynamics, and quality of the updates has increased dramatically. Things like NIS would have been impossible dreams a few years ago. Yes, they need a better Q/A team. Yes they aren't perfect. But they have invested more money and time into this game. That is not an indication of their belief that the game is dying. And I am fairly certain Jagex has better marketing statistics and charts than you do for their own game.

Yes the player base has shrunk. But much of the player base in the past was bots anyways. And the microtransactions have indeed given them significantly more money (and it *is* the model that games use now like it or not, because it is very successful)

At the moment they aren't acting like a dying game company. They are acting like a company who believes they can turn their decline around.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I am inclined to agree that the quality of high-level updates has dramatically improved since January 2011, when Free Trade and Nex were released. Since then, we have received high-level updates at a level and scope that was never there before. However despite this the player base has fallen. That's odd isn't it? That the player base is shrinking while high-level content (which was lacking in the past) is increasing. It's because new players do not seem to think climbing the grind-ladder is worth it. Meaning there is something wrong with the structure of the game and how incentives are set up. That's telling. I don't think it is a dying game (it is not yet terminal -- and I have acknowledged this rather explicitly in the thread asking if RS is dying), but it is a game in severe decline in certain respects (player base).

That's been a well known fact for a very long-time. Nothing new. Jagex do not look like they are stopping with content updates for a while anyway, which is the only thing dedicated players should fear.

I don't understand what you're trying to say, besides re-iterating what everyone has known for years.

I never claimed to be making a completely novel point. That, by no means, diminishes its importance. Still my point is rather recent, the trend of a declining player base is a recent trend, not an old one.

Furthermore, a declining player base is a bad thing, for everyone. Including older players. It means that as times goes on, Jagex, as all businesses in such a situation must do, will need to execute more accounting tricks: extracting the same level of profit (if not more) from a smaller base that they previously extracted from a larger player base. To an extent, we have already seen that, that's what SOF and SGS is for: getting more money out of a diminishing player base, increase the avenues for revenues. I don't see how anyone can write this off. It's worrying trend when the game's membership is not growing as fast as it used to. A game cannot simply survive with a dedicated old hardcore base, it needs new blood here and there, as the old blood will eventually dry up. It's not just a matter of whether they're putting out updates, we're talking about the economics of the game. That affects us all, and I imagine even Jagex isn't too happy with that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any1 else here that keeps getting a Daily challenge for divi that is 1 tier to low?

I got the right Tier since day of release until yesterday when i got a challenge for 1 Tier lower. I found this very odd.

Any1 else here that keeps getting a Daily challenge for divi that is 1 tier to low?

I got the right Tier since day of release until yesterday when i got a challenge for 1 Tier lower. I found this very odd.

i have had this issue for like 2-3 days now

Calm_Koala.png

It's only happened to me since level 85, not getting level 85 challenges.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Same. I am ok with it because it was impossible to avoid doing a divination challenge of my current level while still training divination at the best spot. This prevented me from guaranteeing a dungeon challenge every day. (This happens because if you attempt to turn in one challenge it turns them all in, and you can't always get the order where dungeon happens first so you can walk out of chat.)

But it is somewhat odd that we aren't getting 85 tier challenges..

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

• 2 weeks later...

So we still don't seem to be able to use BXP on divination. Any updates or rumours on whether it should happen at some point during the day, or that its just going to be dragged out even longer?

This isn't necessarily a time sensitive project like the formation if BoL. The release will most likely come in a new update. So expect it to come with a mainstream update like the dwarf finale coming around Tuesday the 24th. Even then they could delay it longer to let people feel things out more.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Hopefully they wait for a few days after the end of BoL just as an epic trollololol to people who had been hoarding for lamps. \:D/

• Like 1

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER