Older persons who play Runescape

Kanonator

well im 25 and i go to uni and ive played runescape for 4 years and my uni mates dont have a prob with me playing and my chemistry techer plays it he is a lvl 90

pitts a warcraft school, never met an rs'er here, then again, what school ISNT a warcraft school:P

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started in aug or july of 2001, i wasin 7th grade and i was 12 turn 13 then, well, and now im 17 turning 18, and im in 11th grade ill be 18 in september

so its almost 5 years for me

i play my step brother plays and his cusion and his stepdad play

and my mom tryed it once

~bmms

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

As this thread had progressed we are starting to see a big difference in outlook on the game depending on age. I am 31 and 'Back in the old days' we had to suffer the stigma of being an rpg nerd and geek and now a wave of biggotry that we are all pasty faced weirdos who live with our mothers but gaming is in my blood, its part of who I am. Before most people on rs were born I had a ZX81 (hangs head in shame) and before that there was the Atari 2600 and a lifetime playing D & D/ warhammer/ talisman and so many computers and game systems since then yet along the way I manged to get a degree, represent my country at two different sports, learn the art of tai chi and now i make my living playing poker.

I can't help it, playing games is in my blood as it is with so many other people of similar age but this is why the different outlook exists.

We are gamers.

For the younger generation games like this are just another medium for social interaction and and contest with each other, they pk and duel for the challeng and to meet others, well not for me buddy.

I've been playing for 2.5 years and have never fought a duel or killed anther player and there is an aweful lot of people just like me because we are dedicated skill totallers. For the older generation playing the game is what its all about and we see gaining levels as suceeding in the game.

All this tells me is rs is a true gem of a game for such different outlooks to be able to exist side by side in such an open ended setting.

RS name: Crustycleft but you can call me Oz

I'm 26, have been playing for like a year or so. Got introduced by my youger brother. Switched to members 4 month ago...

I think the older gamers (partly) counter the offensive younger players. After all (most of us) are more mature, and realise better that RS is a game, a phat is a bunch of pixels, and it's about FUN!

Also, we don't worry as much. I just heard about this kid in the Netherlands that killed himself. His RS account being hacked was the last straw. Of course, he had some (serious) issues before. But i think it's really sad that something "stupid" as a mere computer game (which I enjoy a lot!!) provides the final push of kids killing themselves...

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

Yes.. very true.. We are the GameGeneration .. We start the "game over, insert coin" age..

I miss the old Flippers.. and the first TI-86

Well, IÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôm 34, IT Manager, and use OnLine gameÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôs to "anti-estress" myself.. I was played UltimaOnline for 5 years, and found RuneScape very seemed..

I propose that all the greater ones of 18, we join a day in the same world, to verify if we play different like the youngers ones.. :roll:

I donÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôt think so.. Here, in Virtual Worlds, nobody have age.. Only XP , and Skill Levels.. :)

IÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôm connecting from Buenos Aires, Argentina... (Jagex! when you put LatinAmerican Servers??) and usually play in F2P world 34 (Atlanta). My sister Lucila, plays from Italy (she has 24 years old) and sometimes we meet at Falador.. SheÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôs a little princess!.. :)

axel_phx.png

Yesterday I spent 30 minutes giving tons of advice to a girl who was new to the game. I told her exactly how to get to places that she could use to improve her fishing, crafting, mining, and smithing. She was thrilled!

After the thirty minutes, she informed me she was 11, and was positively aghast to learn that I was (brace yourself!) 26.

"Um, no offense..."

...yeah, that's always followed by something offensive. Save it. I have fun playing the game, and make no apologies.

stormveritas.png

"Um, no offense..."

...yeah, that's always followed by something offensive. Save it. I have fun playing the game, and make no apologies.

well i think we need to realize how much miniclip has an effect on this, rs on the tutorial island never really explains the age range, so everyone assumes its kids, i even know older people who always assume its a kid on the other end

well im 25 and i go to uni and ive played runescape for 4 years and my uni mates dont have a prob with me playing and my chemistry techer plays it he is a lvl 90

pitts a warcraft school, never met an rs'er here, then again, what school ISNT a warcraft school:P

Same with GSU, its ALL warcraft. Would be pimp if i could find one RS'er on campus :\

I dont even remember How I found runescape, but I'm 18 and a halfish now, and I been playing since I was 15ish to kill time. I intend to keep playing until it shuts down(which it wont for a veeerry long time hopefully). Although, I play for like half a year then stop, then half a year and stop. Its a very unique game, and thats why i think it attracts the older people, cos they've probably played all sorts of games that eventually just seem like each other.

Junkieman608.png

im 16 i started playing when i was 12 a friend from a few blocks from my house away told me about it olmost nobody played the game on my school 4 years ago just a few friends of me and now olmost the whole school play's :? :wink:

Another whole batch of 'oldies' here :lol:

I was introduced to RS through a small friendly forum I belong to. We have a sub-forum for Runescape and we keep getting new recruits.

We are mostly adults although a few of our RS 'clan' are children of members. Our oldest RS player is 76 and has been playing about 3+ yrs; I am 62 and several others are in their 60s too; the biggest group from the forum are their 40s with some in 30s and 20s. The 2 youngest are only 5 - lol

As well as this forum I have 2 real-life friends in their 40s who play. One of them had 3 children 9 to 15 age-group and he joined to monitor what they were doing. He is now totally hooked and overtaken us all.

Yes I am quite sure adults play differently. Generally I find they are not in the 'must have it now' category but do 'more skilling than killing'. They tend to be more polite and have the patience to help others.

As for the 'get a life' comments, I usually tell them we are all playing the same game so their own comment applies to them equally :wink:

When asked my age I reply - 'old enough it is not polite for you to ask' but I will tell them if they persist - LOL. The reactions are interesting but as someone said the sad thing is some do regard you as a potential pervert. I then say I am more than happy any parent should see anything I say - but I wonder if parents do monitor their kids games and would they be happy to see the language used by their children?

I am 37, and was introduced to RS by my children (Ages 6-9). My daughter 9 was talking to my son 6 about her new "boyfriend", and I was like WHAT????....She explainde it to me so i started a toon and now 5 months later, i am Combat 75.

The

Gubba_Bump :lol:

Heh, i'm 20 now...I had a really bad experience being called "too old". I was 18 or 19 at the time and obviously since lots of young people play rs, i had a friend on rs that was like 12. He must have told his dad he had an 18 or 19 year old friend on RS...His dad made him get on rs and let his dad talk to me... and his dad freaked out on me about how there is no good reason that i should be playing a game for kids and i shouldn't be friends with a 12 year old and i must be be a pervert because of that...

Yeah, it's really aggravating when the actual parents think there is something wrong with me for it...

Heh, i'm 20 now...I had a really bad experience being called "too old". I was 18 or 19 at the time and obviously since lots of young people play rs, i had a friend on rs that was like 12. He must have told his dad he had an 18 or 19 year old friend on RS...His dad made him get on rs and let his dad talk to me... and his dad freaked out on me about how there is no good reason that i should be playing a game for kids and i shouldn't be friends with a 12 year old and i must be be a pervert because of that...

Yeah, it's really aggravating when the actual parents think there is something wrong with me for it...

More so because quite a few 'dads' and 'moms' play.

If the dad himself had absolutly no personal experience of internet communities, it is an understandable reaction. Most parents would worry if their 12-year olds suddenly started to hang out with 18-19 year old strangers in real life. And the sad fact is that there are perverts on the net, often pretending to be younger than they are to make friends with the kids.

But the internet is very strange place. You can make friends who are a LOT older or younger than you, from all over the world, independent of nationality, gender, religion, political view and whatever else. What matters is maturity (and a 12-year old can be very mature) and that you have a common interest (=runescape). Did you manage to explain that for the dad - or was he to upset to even try and listen to you?

I'm 36. I currently dont have any ingame friends who are in their low teenages - since they either grew up :shock: or quit. Over the years I played there has been several of them though, and I am sure there will be more. As you have seen in this topic, there are a lot of us "older ones" who play, many of us who has played for several years.

*waves to all the wrinkled faces she doesn't know yet* ;)

Please think before you ask a question. If you ask the right question, its much more likely you get the answer you are looking for :)

Gugge.png

Moly.png

Sorry, but i don't think there was any justification for what the father said/did. To say that there is absolutely something wrong with me for playing this game and interacting with younger people (not even by my choice) is pure ignorance. There's a difference between playing the same game and hanging out in real life...It's basically like saying that i have no right to play the game because i am 19/whatever. Part of the game is interacting with other players, it's even forced in some cases. I have the right to play the game as much as anyone else, and since player interaction is required, it's unavoidable that i'll eventually interact with younger people. I'm a nice person, so if the younger person wants to add me to their friends list and they seem like a decent person, then i say go ahead...

Our discussions were kept to ingame, unless the kid brought up something else, like for example math homework, which i would help him with. If i were asking to hang out with him in real life, then yes i could see a problem, but i did nothing but help the kid. I saw myself as a mentor...would you think it was justified if some parent went to the big brother/sister foundation and started telling them that they are all perverts for wanting to help younger people?

I'm all for parents watching over their kids. But, the parent had no right to tell me that i am FOR A FACT a pervert just for by chance interacting with someone younger than me in a game. The parent should have asked his kid if I had ever tried to ask him to hang out in real life or anything weird like that. The parent should have told the kid to go by the same rules and precautions that all kids should go by on the internet. It doesn't matter if someone on the internet tells you they are 12 too, they could just as easily be a real pervert that actually is much older and just lying about it.

20 here. I found RSC in Nov 2002 but stopped playing. I started this file on RS2 without knowing it was the same game. I remember my first day two years ago, I was soooo lost. It was just going to be a few days of play while I was working...hah.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I'm a 33 years old mum, found the game over 3 years ago when we changed internet service providers, it had a link for the game on the ISP's game page. Was hooked within an hour, signed up for members at lvl4 and was totally clueless on a lot of things for a long time. Now Lvl124 with 1903 skill total and like to think that I know most stuff about game, which I probably don't.

What makes me play: fun of raising skill, bashing things, drops, new items, quests, and the most important thing I believe is the friendships I have made.

Quizzi

I'd also like to note that I became friends with a family that played RS on world 9 (Parents and son and daughter). I was often training range at the blue dragons, and their family would take trips to random places. I gave the mom my dragonfire shield because she had forgotten one (and was wearing full gold plated rune). I saw them around the past year, but have not seen them recently (since I shifted my homeworld to world 46 for lag issues).

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Ya know...I really don't know what to say anymore... :lol: Welp, I have learned something in the last 10-15 days. But I have no idea what. :lol:

RETIRED:Xtnucx

Kanonator

Termionkatil

Undead Str

Led Floyd

Been playing for 4 years. I'm 20 now.

It's strange to hear long-term Rs friends remind me of how I was when I was younger. I realise how playful, cheerful I was. Now, I'm some sort of grim, pragmatic, cinical, over-critical man compared to how I was. Sometimes I don't know which 'me' I prefer. Now I see through many things I didn't but...

2480+ total

21 years young. Been playing RuneScape for close to 4 years. Currently combat level 110, Skill Total 1629. I like to come home after work (which is in the late evening, so no going out) and play RuneScape for a few hours before I go to bed for work the next day.

It's not that uncommon to see older players playing RuneScape or other MMORPGs. I've met some great players on RuneScape that are older adults. Even some of your top ranked players are indeed adults.

There are more of us around then you might think. ;)

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

I discovered RS from my 12 yo daughter! Her friend and her mom played all the time and wanted my daughter to play too. Of course I had to check it out :roll: :D

I'm 31, married stay at home mom with two kids. After the kids go to bed/school I play. I don't have any friends in game, just the people I know in rl. My sister (29) plays too! It's been almost 2 years now, and I'm lvl 102.

I don't PK, I've tried it to see what I was missing and died quite a few times! Never won even once. Just couldn't get into it.

Ever since I was little, I've loved Atari..and then Zelda.

Spiced Ham