What's the deal with coins?

Sly_Wizard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It usually depends on the situation, on whether or not I'll pick up an NPC's coin drop. Most times it's really just a space issue, and I won't bother picking up coins if I know by the time I am done there I wouldn't even have 1k. If the NPC drops a decent amount of coins, like Fire Giants or Dusties, then I'll usually grab them when I see them.

That's another situation where I always pick up coins, whether they are a large amount or not. If I am at an NPC that has alchable drops, and already have coins on me, or will at one point from alching whatever random object they drop, then I will always pick the coins up. Since I am already using an inventory slot, I may as well get as much cash as possible, no?

Sometimes I'll leave coins on the ground for other people to pick up though, not because I'm lazy, but because I know some people need them more than I do. I call it my "subtle charity." For example, if I'm killing Guards in Falador for the occassional clue scroll in boredom, I will leave their coin drops on the ground. I know I'd have room for them, and that banks are nearby, but there are people that always come by and pick up the drops left on the ground, usually lower levels, that need them more than me.

So, like I said, it totally depends on the situation. Most times I do pick up that random amount of change though, even if it doesn't seem to make any sort of impact on my bank. I do the same with runes I see lying around as well.

eye_test.png

fat_hobbit22:

How long it takes to kill any given NPC is irrelevant. It has absolutely no bearing on how long it takes one to pick up a few coins (Which is literally half a second, if that long).

What I am saying is that, in the long run, it's better to pick up any coins which are dropped because the time it takes to pick them up is neglible when compared to how much money you can make.

Even at 30 coins a minute for three hours a day for one year (365 days) that'd be around 2M coins left to disappear yearly. When examine the time that it takes to pick the coins up, there really isn't any reason not to.

That's why I don't understand people who don't pick up coins. Bah... To each his own, I suppose.

i dont usually take the coins monsters drop but i'll start right now and tell you how many i have before i log off tonight

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

i pick up all coins i find on ground ^-^ im a penny pincher

I used to squeeze every penny I had too but then one day I squeezed so hard that a penny got injected into my blood stream, so now I just drop most of my coin drops \'

Usually I pick up the coins too. Even when I'm killing dragons... which is dumb. Cause a green hide is worth more than what I normally pick up :wall: I just can't stand to leave piles of coins on the ground I guess lol. I've noticed that once it starts to add up, 10k isn't really something I would drop... so here I am with an extra 20k out of nowhere :P Always useful.

Blakdragon39.png

Avarage coins per drop is about roughly 30? So thats like 170 piles of coins has to be picked up, right?

So... You said 2 years... Thats 730 days... SO, that is 124100, the number of time you have to waste 1 sec for picking up... (You said .5 but its atleast 1 sec, lad. :))

So that is 124100 seconds,

which is 2068 minutes,

which is 34 hours...

In 34 hours you could make easily 40k nature runes, which is about 13m...

YOU said 2m by picking, I say 13m by not picking.

The difference in time between you not picking up coins and picking up coins is neglible, considering that you're only killing NPC's. The time it takes you to pick up coins has absolutely no bearing on how long it takes you to kill any given NPC. To say that picking up coins slows you down is a bit of a lie (Just pointing that out. Not that you said it).

Anyway, if it takes you 1 second to grab 30 coins, that would mean that you get at least 1.8K per minute of coin picking (Of course, many times you do get more than 30 coins per kill). How many skills do you know can equal that? One or two, tops-- Maybe.

There really isn't any reason to take coin drops. It's free money, it's easy to acquire and it requires very little work because they're usually just a biproduct of some other activity (Training or slaying).

Instead of thinking gold, lets think BONES.

Now just imagine all the monsters you have killed to get up to your combat lvl and did not pick up there bones. Not only that, but monster bones that other players have killed and did not pick up.

Think this over. :-k

sig3ya5.jpg

First place Winner of Nick 6464 F2P custom contest.

Unless I am killing something that drops small amounts of coins but gives large amounts of non-stackable items (see blue dragons) I pick up every coin I see. I usually do it between attacks so it costs me zero time whatsoever. I do the same with any type of bone since it also costs me zero time. If I had to take away from potential attacks I would leave both. The time it takes to bury a bone is just under the time it takes for you to hit the second time with a whip.

RahkUrWrld.png

PM me in game to use some skills of mine (glories/potions) free or to ask a question.

Fire Cape - 04/29/06 Lvl 104

RAHK's Pro PC Gear and Guide(clickable)

splash02tm6.jpg Tired of hack and slash? FPSers getting old? Give this game a try!

You sir, have just convinced me to pick up coins while on assignments. I thought .... yes, he's right. They take up one space, take no time to pick up, and DO add up.

Well said, I'm quite glad I read this post.

Everyone out there, pick up your damn coins :D

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Well sometimes, like at the Steel Dragons, it's nice to have an extra place to put a Dragon Bone or something worth more than a few gp.

Same. It's the same with people leaving gems and other items that are remotely valuable at greater quantities. I am blue dragons all the time and I never pick up the basic runes or some of the armor like steel legs. To me, the hides and bones are more valuable so I'll stick to that.

I always wondered if Jagex could make an extra equipment spot that's like a money pouch. You could keep coins, tokkul, trading sticks, or any other form of currency so it could clear up the inventory. If this was the case, I'd pick up all the money from monster drops.

greatham.png

- Affliction - 100 Combat - 9/15/06

Merchant / Skiller

lolyr0.png

For those of you who are comparing picking up coins to a money making skill such as merchanting, you're a little stupid :oops:

You need to kill things every now and then, for slayer, training, whatever it may be. He's suggestion WHILE you are doing this, you should pick up the coins. He's not suggesting it's an ultimate money making strategy, nor is he comparing it to merchanting or anything else.

I'd like to know what someone is doing making nats while training :wall:

Idiots, lol :shame:

EDIT - Now please ... try to explain to me how you make more money by NOT picking up coins :wall:

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

First of all, sorry for my double post before... Dont know what happened.

You still dont get me... I didint say that you can pick up 30 coins in EVERY 1 second, i said it will take 1 second to pick up the coins... Doesnt matter how many times in hour, if the avarage time you have to pick up coins is 170 in a day...

Now, 170 times a day you waste 1 second on picking up 30 gp. You get 5k.

That is, as i said before, 170 seconds... You earn 5k in 170 seconds...

I brought an example of making nature runes, which i am sure, many people are able to do. In 170 second you can make about 3 trips... That is about 120 nature runes. And that is about 40k coins...

And now this is 35k profit by NOT picking up the coins in one day...

But multiply this with the days you find in 2 years time...

I think i have made my point now... Cant express any more clearer than that :3>

Margus.png

EDIT - Now please ... try to explain to me how you make more money by NOT picking up coins :wall:

I thought Deangut explained this pretty well.

If I'm at Abyssal Demon on a slayer assignment, I'm probably there to kill about 200. Picking up coins may seem like a quick task, but with the extra click, walking time, and time lost from moving in a direction other than that of the next demon, you're losing about 4 seconds. I'm willing to wager that 75% of the drops are coins (at least mine are), so you're wasting 4 seconds on 150 Abyssal Demons. That is 600 seconds, or 10 minutes. 10 Minutes is easily enough time to kill a number of Abbies that can make the difference between a Whip-Trip and Non-Whip-Trip.

Perhaps one who is not so quick to understand should bite his or her tongue; rather than critisizing the intelligence of others.

I thought Deangut explained this pretty well.

If I'm at Abyssal Demon on a slayer assignment, I'm probably there to kill about 200. Picking up coins may seem like a quick task, but with the extra click, walking time, and time lost from moving in a direction other than that of the next demon, you're losing about 4 seconds. I'm willing to wager that 75% of the drops are coins (at least mine are), so you're wasting 4 seconds on 150 Abyssal Demons. That is 600 seconds, or 10 minutes. 10 Minutes is easily enough time to kill a number of Abbies that can make the difference between a Whip-Trip and Non-Whip-Trip.

Perhaps one who is not so quick to understand should bite his or her tongue; rather than critisizing the intelligence of others.

I dont agree with you 100%, conserning abyssal tasks....

See, the NUMBER of abyssals killed would remain the same, wheter you pick the coins up or not... Or after the task is completed... You think

"o, i saved 10 minutes from not picking up the coins, now i will kill 10 more minutes the abyssals!"

Wrong, i guess... I teleported straight away from abbys after i completed my task.... But i dont know about you. :)

But yes, you are right, picking up the coins... Running alot... It does waste awfully alot time... Something else can be done, which is more profitable.

Margus.png

the fact is that coins are better yielded from high alching high end objects than you could when picking up cash. Cash drops are very small, and probably 1 single alch could out weigh 200 cash drops, so why bother? Its not like end of world if you do pick up the cash.

Its a gamble really, do you want steady but very slow 2m a year or do you want to gamble for 200m a year with drops?

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Because 20-30 coins wouldn't make a difference in my bank.

Ok.. now try this:

20-30 x 10 = 200-300

20-30 x 100 = 2000-3000

Now to gain 99 att you need 13000000 xp. Per lesser demon you get 320 exp.

13000000 / 320 = 40625 lesser demons

A lesser demon drops coins about half the time leaving aproximitly 80gp each time.

40625 x 80 / 2 = 1625000 which equals a Dragon Chain, just getting 99 ATT on lesser demons, not calculated, chaos runes/ death runes / rune mediums etc.!

So next time you get a Dragon Chain drop from Dusties or The Queen herself :P just leave it there, it doesn't make a difference on your bank right?

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg