People with high total levels compared to combat

Madouge

Why is it that having a high total level compared to a low combat level is deemed more impressive to people than having the same skill total, but a much higher combat level?

For example, if a player had all their skills (except combat skills) at 75 and had 20 combat, that would be deemed more impressive than someone with the same skill levels but 126 combat, despite the one with higher combat clearly having done more work?

Madouge.png

Click the pic if you wanna see a Ranged Slayer blog.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because it not always isn't...skill pures are cool because they value the skills of the game, and focus only on raising those which are hard to do sometimes without combat.

becauase combat is pretty easy to get and it can add to the total lvl and its hard to get by without raising your combat lvl, well not hard but its alot easier with combat lvls

freakyyq8.png

lucky barrower-dh legs,veracs skirt,karil skirt, karils top (x3), dh pl8,karils coif,half key(x2), x-bow, ahrims robetop

goodbye Piman1053 Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:05 pm

326death326 is banned~~~EVERYONE ADD MY NEW MAIN "Y0uknowwho" (first o is a zero)

My combat lvl is higher then my skill total :o

But anyway, it just looks cooler but imo the coolness factor is dying as more people buy their skills on a skiller and call themself teh pwnage and not have any 99 selfdone skills.

Its alot easier to get a higher skill level. Most skills can be bought. But combat, generally, cannot. Getting good att/str/def/hits levels pretty much takes alot of sweat and blood. I respect someone for a higher combat more than having 1500 or so skill total.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Poopingman, I know you're RSC and all, but that is a pile of tosh. These days with Pest Control, combat is generally much easier to level than most skills, averaging 100 points every 2 hours is already around 100k exp for those 2 hours, not including the say, 20-30k exp gained from the monster kills itself.

That's about 75k exp per hour. Pretty much easy I would say. Maybe your statement would've been more valid in RSC but training combat in RS2 is a joke.

Known formerly as Ameoba3000.

Now known as Vigoss.

I think it's because combat level is highly correlated to time spent playing the game, so a person with a high total level/combat level ratio has achieved a lot of levels in less time than a person with higher combat level and a lower total. Thus in some sense the first player (with the higher total/combat ratio) is the more "efficient" player.

This isn't necessarily true of course, but it's my impression.

tanmjester,mindthrower.gif

mindthrower.gif

mindthrowerFTWlol.png

You could have a high combat lvl and a low skill total, but people never find that impressive, that just means that player is concentrated on combat alone. When you see a pure skiller, or a low combat player with a high skill total, your first thought when looking them up is, "wow". I mean honestly, have you meet any of those really good skillers, that actually devote all/most of their time to it? They are wealthy/rich as hell. I'm an above average player if your rating on combat and skill total, im a 98 with 1560, i love skilling over combat because skilling gives more options, plus more money than combat will ever do for me. The view on this is going to be different for everyone. Its more or the line of what, "you" think.

My Main

bronzemzammyvest,nikoli40.gif

nikoli40.gif

subtract your attack, strength, defence, hitpoints, mage, range, and prayer from your skill total.

see my point?

IMO slayer aswell. Although Zzzamorak has 51 slayer at 3 cbt... But let's say divide slayer xp by like 10 :P

Also mage is trained in noncombat... So subtract only if it your combat is mage based?

Uula.png

Why is it that having a high total level compared to a low combat level is deemed more impressive to people than having the same skill total, but a much higher combat level?

For example, if a player had all their skills (except combat skills) at 75 and had 20 combat, that would be deemed more impressive than someone with the same skill levels but 126 combat, despite the one with higher combat clearly having done more work?

Answers in the sig.

I don't understand how it seems more impressive to people that someone spent more time playing the game...

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I Personally Congradulate and admire Both types of Skillers since it isnt always easy to raise a skill. but with time,dedication and patients it makes raising skills worth while so i give my respects to any type of skiller.

----Retired Runescape Player 1/13/07-----

Poopingman, I know you're RSC and all, but that is a pile of tosh. These days with Pest Control, combat is generally much easier to level than most skills, averaging 100 points every 2 hours is already around 100k exp for those 2 hours, not including the say, 20-30k exp gained from the monster kills itself.

That's about 75k exp per hour. Pretty much easy I would say. Maybe your statement would've been more valid in RSC but training combat in RS2 is a joke.

Yeah, Pest Control. Even I have no idea what the specifics are with that. I would assume most players haven't tapped into its benefits.

Besides, getting a skill to 40ish can be done overnight, that adds up quickly. Having a "high" skill total holds considerably less weight than good combat.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

if they ahve the same skill total then subtract att, str, def, hp, mage, range, and prayer totals from it.

the skiller would be higher.

and also combat helps in A LOT of skills

even indirectly, like farming where you can collect seeds frm killing things or herblore where monsters drop herbs. or look at agility, on a lvl 3 you could die from just a few missed traps that deal you damage but when you have 99 hp that does nothing. So skills are easier with melee.

redbullsigortiz.jpg

Yeah, Pest Control. Even I have no idea what the specifics are with that. I would assume most players haven't tapped into its benefits.

Besides, getting a skill to 40ish can be done overnight, that adds up quickly. Having a "high" skill total holds considerably less weight than good combat.

While it's by no means definitive proof, the fact that more than a couple pest control groups sprang up over the minigame is enough to show that a few people are making use of it. I'm not trying to diminish the effort put into raising strength let's say, but there's no way you can compare 90 str to 90 mining. I'm sorry but just the xp per hour you get and on top of that the amount of concentrating you have to do on the screen is vastly different. I could click once every minute or so and train strength. Raising your mining level even on granite with total focus is only around 45k-50k per hour.

If you want to know why people have "respect" (if you can even use that word with a game) for those who do skills more than combat, try asking Swampjedi how easy it was to get lvl 90 herblore. Remember not everyone dumps millions upon millions into buying a skill.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

most skills are easier with combat. attack str and def hits and range adds alot to skill total. most people look at a level 90 with only combat skills in the highscores and go noob. but if the 90 has skilled more then they go wow omg.

StarViv.png

I think Jagex is seriously considering altering how you see the level of a player.

Imagine if instead of a combat level, you saw number that's 1/10th his skill total. Seeing a combat level 126 is common place, but how many skill level 200+ would you see walking around?

I place more interest in a player that advances all skills. In addition, Jagex offers quests and items that denote accomplishments in other areas of the game.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Honestly I don't see why an impressive skill total is made more significant by a lower combat level. The distinction today between "skillers" and people who enjoy combat (regardless of their skill total) doesn't make sense to me. Combat skills may be easy to train, but so is cooking. If you don't like combat, don't train it. Would 126 Combat be more impressive if I had 1 Cooking? I have nothing wrong with people who don't train combat because they don't like it. Frankly, taking pride in admittedly neglecting cornerstone skills in RS for the sake of neglecting them is just foolish.

As someone already said, combat is the only way to outwardly see someone's time spent in the game. It's kind of surprising to see someone that looks like they have only spent a few hours in the game doing something even you can't.

Another reason it's impressive is because many skills are easier when your higher level. Try thieving paladins with 10 hp, or Running through the abyss with only 10 hp as well. Not easy.

~M

I guess this makes me a noob then,

The time ive spent in slayer already could of got me 99 cook and more id say, ive spent about 10 weekends training it up 3 hours per day in total.

I prefer not to bore myself by training boring skills like mining that i dont want to train.

Chris_2_8.png

There are two different ways to brag about..

1600+ total or whatever total level you feel like an achievement. Now, if you have this total at level 100+ combat, you actually have only 1200-1300 non combat levels. While if you have it at level 3 combat, you have around 1600 non combat levels. This is why a low combat level is more appreciated than a high level with the same total.

all skills at 70+ or whatever milestone level you consider. In this case, the combat level doesn't really matter - the achievement is to get all skills, including combat ones to a high level. Yes, extremely lower combat levels might find raising some skills more difficult, but that's all there is to it. I find an equal achievement for someone who says "I have all levels at 70", regardless of them being lvl 90 or 110 combat.

I hope you see my point... However, "pure skillers" (very low combat, high total) are appreciated for a different reason as well. The vast majority of RS players are interested in combat and use combat on a daily basis. The skillers are the ones playing differently, forsaking all form of combat - and this different way of playing is the one being admired.

Well, to each his own... I'm not a pure skiller and I'm not a pure fighter. But I am equally interested in all skills, regardless of their nature. This satisfies me, as I feel I cover as much as I can of all the complexity in the game. To each his own, as I was saying ;)

103 combat | 1M+ xp in each skill (lvl73) | 1800+ skill total | quest cape

Level 86 herblore, 85 farming