Success or Failure capes?

Jorgen

I don't think you can really compare a fire cape to a skillcape. It's not a question of stats but a question of pride.

the fire cape has the aura of "Fear me, I have defeated a lvl 702"

the skillcapes have an aura of "Honor me, I am a master of this skill"

One cape doesn't make the other obsolete, they represent different things.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure a lava cape may take two hours and a skill capes takes like a year. But think about it. When you get a skill cape its showing off that you have lvl 99 in that skill, it is an acomplishment and a half =D> =D> =D> , but so is the lava cape. But to be honest, how many people on average do you see with a lava cape? Hardly any. And how many people have a skill cape? Too many :!: :!:

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

sure a lava cape may take two hours and a skill capes takes like a year. But think about it. When you get a skill cape its showing off that you have lvl 99 in that skill, it is an acomplishment and a half =D> =D> =D> , but so is the lava cape. But to be honest, how many people on average do you see with a lava cape? Hardly any. And how many people have a skill cape? Too many :!: :!:

Every 90+ combat rune pure i see on w18 has a fire cape, pretty much any pker over lvl 90 has one.

+ there is lame websites now where you can pay some one to do it for you, not such an achievement.

wel i would like to see you try and do fire cape on a fresh from tutorial island chareter with only the trutorial island stuf on you wont even get past wave 1 getting the stuf (good armor and such) for caves takes time doing it takes time getting the lvls takes time and you can also fail i think that a fire cape takes more hours training and money making then lvl 99 cooking or fishing takes

With 23 different skills, you can't just say "all skillcapes are common" because they have such an insane range

10k people have fletching cape

70 people have construction cape

See the difference? the ratio is over 100:1

Fire cape, besides being a completely different challenge, will be rarer than some skillcapes but more common than others. There are definetly not "hardly any" lava capes.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

How stupid can you get?

Explain how you need high attack str and defence to do the fight caves?.

This is how you do fight caves..

Equip crystal bow, put on protection prayer, click on monster.

Repeat till you get to jad.

Watch jad for signs of what attack he is going to do, change prayers to deal with it, click attack.

Drink prayer potion when it gets low.

hit healers to stop them healing.

I have done fight caves with 52 prayer and 74 range twice, without using a single other skill.

I have played rs since 2001 and have only attained 5 99 skills ( all combat skills).

So dont try tell me how terribly hard it is to do fight caves.

Requirements for caves:

70+ range

43+ prayer

good internet connection

Good reflexes.

If you put it like this, getting every cape is "easy".

Runecrafting cape? Just get 44, use the abbyss, use all you're money you got on p ess to 91. Now repeat, but now with double nats. Easy as pie.

Farming cape? Just buy tree seeds. Seeing "buyable" skills (fletch and cook) are considered easy, because all they need is money, this is easy too.

Do I have to go on?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Jagex focuses on combat, this is no exception. Perhaps the combat capes should have focused advantages, but I'd love my skillcape even if it were bonusless.

I really have to agree with you there. I think that skill capes are great, and even if they didn't give the bonuses that they do, people would still love them. Fire Capes still look awesome, and the +4 Strength bonus can't exactly be frowned at IMO. I believe that it's hard to compare the two capes, because they are obtained in rather different manners.

The way I see it, fire cape has better stats because it's a combat cape. Since most skills are non-combat, they have less interest in fighting, so what good would a large defense bonus do? The emotes are more appealing, since it can be seen by others.

I think we all missed the point. You call them "failure" capes. But doesn't failure insinuate that you didn't achieve a goal? But you did- the goal of 99 in a skill. So, in the least, it's poor word choice.

There's no sig here. Move it along...

How stupid can you get?

Explain how you need high attack str and defence to do the fight caves?.

This is how you do fight caves..

Equip crystal bow, put on protection prayer, click on monster.

Repeat till you get to jad.

Watch jad for signs of what attack he is going to do, change prayers to deal with it, click attack.

Drink prayer potion when it gets low.

hit healers to stop them healing.

I have done fight caves with 52 prayer and 74 range twice, without using a single other skill.

I have played rs since 2001 and have only attained 5 99 skills ( all combat skills).

So dont try tell me how terribly hard it is to do fight caves.

Requirements for caves:

70+ range

43+ prayer

good internet connection

Good reflexes.

If you put it like this, getting every cape is "easy".

Runecrafting cape? Just get 44, use the abbyss, use all you're money you got on p ess to 91. Now repeat, but now with double nats. Easy as pie.

Farming cape? Just buy tree seeds. Seeing "buyable" skills (fletch and cook) are considered easy, because all they need is money, this is easy too.

Do I have to go on?

All they need is money, time and dedication...

3 weeks for the easiest skill if you play several hours a day...

Or 2 hours for the fight caves.

Notice the difference?

Its like saying "sure beating mike tyson into a coma was an achievement but i trumped it, i pushed a school girl off a bridge".

There are a few fundamental differences between the Fire Cape and Skill Capes. Firstly, the Fire Cape is obtained by completing what is most likely the most rigorous test of Combat Skill in RuneScape. It's a two-hour trial of focus and endurance. But in the end, that's all it is. Two hours of semi-difficult combat. At level-102 it took me 2 tries to get it, so between buying supplies and going through the waves I probably spent about 5 hours on it. Personally, I wouldn't call it a challenge. I know it's hard for many, but it comes down to memorizing two motions and switching prayer accordingly. I'd get it again the first time with a blindfold and without my left hand. But still, you can't completely discredit it. For completing the ultimate combat challenge, you've been rewarded with the ultimate combat cape. But this isn't to say it is more respectable than capes of achievement. The easiest of the skills takes weeks, that's the easiest. I'm 406K from the RC Cape, and there's no way in hell I'd take my Fire Cape over it. All in all, the RC Cape takes near 1,000 hours of RC. But hey, that's sort of extreme. Let's take 1/10th of that, 100 hours. There aren't too many skills you can get 99 in 100 hours, so humor me. 100 hours is 50 tries, count in buying supplies (keep in mind I assumed the skill was paid for as well) and you have 40-50 tries.

Now, tell me getting a Fire Cape in 50 tries takes more "talent" than getting a skill cape takes devotion? It doesn't, and you can't.

• 9 months later...

I think it makes sense to have the fire cape be more combat oriented then the skill capes. After all, you dont really have to do any combat to get most of the skill capes so why would you have massive combat bonuses? Though at times (like when you need prayer buffs) I would see the skill capes as being more useful. Kinda.

triforceelf.png

I still belive that a fire cape beats out most skill capes except rc and slayer of course. becides just becuase the battle for the fire cape is only 2 hours long you can take months getting your skills up and becides even maxed players can have a hard time getting it. If you are thinking about the level 43s who have it that is just a testament to their unique skill in being able to problem solve and ocncentrate that long.

I know I've said it before, but with most capes, there's no real challenge. Does it take skill to sit at a fire, cooking sharks for hours on end? No. How about sticking a harpoon in the water? No. With fire capes, you have to fight your way through wave after wave of monsters, leading up to a confrontation with the highest leveled monster in Runescape, that even the most able-bodied warriors cannot defeat. I think it only makes sense that the fire cape is better.

To summarize, for me: skill capes = time, fire cape = skill.

it really is true

billybobj282.gif

In my opinion skill capes should have stats based on what cape they are. Like for example a Magic Cape would give a better magic attack and defense bonus than a God cape. Only problem I see with this is the strength cape, since it would either make the fire cape obsolete by giving a better strength bonus, or be totally useless if it doesn't have as much. Other skills like woodcutting and fishing could possibly be given a bonus, something that makes you get fish/logs faster at a set rate, no luck BS. Although, it would be tougher to do this with the noncombat skill capes like herblore, but meh.

Proud 99 Ranger since December 8th 2007

Proud 99 Fisher since April 2007

Proud 99 Mage since January 2006

Not so proud 99 Chef since 2006

Not so proud 99 Fletcher since 2005

Jagex focuses on combat, this is no exception. Perhaps the combat capes should have focused advantages, but I'd love my skillcape even if it were bonusless.

Yes even if others were better like lava one i always prefer my skillcapes <3:

they show that you reach 99 in certain skill and the best part of it is that they have a emote!!!

xyc_unit.png

xyc_unit.png

I still don't have a fire cape, I have made it to jad 5 times but died all 5. But yet I get countless pk's. It's somewhat based on luck but the fire cape requires a lot of skill. 99 capes? Most people i know just use them to 'Trim' a cape or get total levels, not too much 'skill' involved.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

The capes are supposed to show your achievement, not be a super-cape.

Wanna hear a good comparison?

Party Hats...

Useless stats, but widely recognized as a symbol of wealth.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

Fire cape still gives better bonuses, yet fire cape takes 2 hours of time, 99 capes months, maybe even years. One thing thing that is good about the skill capes, although trimmed ones, that they give +4 prayer bonus.I see more people wear skill capes now, instead of fire capes or obsidian capes. Skill capes still symbolize the maxed skill or skills of yours.

You see the difference between a 2 hours work and months/years of work?

I would see accomplishment or skill capes as a success because they gave recognition to those people who spent months and years as you said to finally achieve that lvl 99 skill. This is what makes a skillcape worthy and not it's combat benefits.

teh_gauss.png

The one thing that really makes me wonder is the stats of untrimmed, or questcape is the same as obby cape. even a lvl 3 could have one. i could easily make a lvl 3 and get one in the first week if i tried.

All that's needed is a mere 300k tops. and with my quest cape i spent millions of gp, countless of hours trying to achieve the requirements, making the quest, and gathering items.

Is that fair?

(dont take the rewards from the quests as an exuse.)

Also note, that i have never owned an obby cape, exept for when i gave one as a present :oops: .

if i were to choose between a skillcape and the fire cape, i would definitley choose the skillcape. it shows that i have persevered enough to get the 99, and not just focused on my combat and spent 2 hrs killing tz-zok-jad. i don't really think that the bonuses that the cape gives u are meant to change your opinion of them. these skillcapes are for those who have earned it. not for those who can show that they have killed the hardest monster in the entire of runescape. that is quite a feat, i'm not saying that the fire cape is easy to get. all i'm trying to say is that if i were to see two people together in the middle of varrock, one of them with an agility skillcape, and one with the fire cape, i would hold the one with the skillcape with more regard than the player with the firecape.

O.mirzan-O.mirzan.gif

d drops/ legs(0) chain (0) axes (0) skirts (0) meds(0)/ visage! (0)/ rings (0)

-My Blog! Don't forget to post!