Do we expect too much?

SirHartlar

The question I have been asking myself recently is whether we expect too much from the game we are playing. Let me use this example to try and show you what point I am trying to get across:

I am currently camping at Dust Devils using the spell Bones to Peaches. The experience is great and I love the feeling of picking up an Earth Battlestaff every now and then and instantly alching it for 10k.

There is usually one or two more people down there training at the same time, which gives me the opportunity to make some conversation. Guess what crops up in all my talks?

'I want a chain sooo badly. I better get one soon.'

This got me thinking, how can you be training for a dragon chain when the odds are like 1:5k. That is insane. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a shiny piece of dragon armour lying in front of me. But chances are it isn't going to happen.

This brings up my question once again, do we expect too much from the game? I see quite a lot of posts with people complaining about 'junk' clues and how they haven't had any barrows items in 30 trips. Are they purposely setting their standards too high? I don't like peoples hopes being crushed but this is exactly what I am seeing.

Is the majority of the Rs community like this? When you go out for training, are you always expecting a dragon drop or similar?

Discuss.

chain odds aren't 1:20k. They are more like 1 to 5k. It's rare that people go over 10k kills without one. I believe its one of the more commonly dropped dragon items but for some reason its higher priced.

People can hope, can't they?

chain odds aren't 1:20k. They are more like 1 to 5k. It's rare that people go over 10k kills without one. I believe its one of the more commonly dropped dragon items but for some reason its higher priced.

Ok, so I got my statistics wrong. My original question still remains, I think it is foolish to go training against such odds for the sole purpose of one item. I will change the statistic though.

EDIT: I am not saying people should aim lower, I was trying to point out the fact that sometimes the odds are against you and some people don't realise it.

Most Runescape players are too ambitious. We mainly focus on our wealth rather than having fun, playing the game as an experience. To add another example to your list --> holiday events: players expect a good tradable holiday event which has a possibility of becoming a discontinued item --> another example of wealth over experience (not talking about skill experience 8-) ).

Most Runescape players are too ambitious. We mainly focus on our wealth rather than having fun, playing the game as an experience. To add another example to your list --> holiday events: players expect a good tradable holiday event which has a possibility of becoming a discontinued item --> another example of wealth over experience (not talking about skill experience 8-) ).

That is a good point I neglected to mention. I think some people are too oriented around being the best as opposed to having fun.

My goals when doing anything are to break even. And as everything I do is done using stuff I've made (unless I don't have the level to make it, such as armour/weapons) I always make a profit! Making my own food, potions etc means that no matter which monster I face I always make a profit. I love games where you always win!

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

i expect a d drop every kill

A lot of times you get it, too. -.-

I don't think we expect too much, just hope for too much really.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Yes SirHartlar, we are hoping and expecting for too much. The dudes next to me (crazy in masks) keep hoping and hoping that I one day will lend my Halloween Mask to them so that they can scam it.

Many games is like this, you're hoping and hoping for this item to drop, even if the odds are very low.

Just as twr_phr33k mentioned, too many people play Runescape for wealth instead of pure fun. That is why I've left playing the game, the game itself ain't fun in my opinion, it's just this wealth question that keeps us playing.

However, that might not apply to you and others on TIF.

I agree, we do set the standards too high. That is why I always try to break even with semi-good drops rather than hope to eventually break even with a really good drop.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

I personally can say that I've expected way too much of the game in certain instances. For example... I wanted some cash to spend on junk for myself, so I went and started killing Bronze Dragons. After about 10 kills I began to get very frustrated that they weren't dropping Dragon Platelegs. I killed about 30 total and gave up because I thought the whole thing was a scam. From there I've realized that I can't expect that much, and I no longer do of anything. If I'd gotten Dragon Platelegs in those first 10 kills I would be a complete different Runescape player though.

Click here.

If you go there good things will transpire.

Why do you think people buy lottery tickets? People, in general, aren't very logical. But people are very hopeful. Taking hope over logic, you get the "against all odds" people who don't care about their odds and hope to get lucky.

1:5k is an insane ratio. In real life if your odds of achieving something are 1:5k give up its never gonna happen. Occasionally when slaughtering hundreds of things for slayer i wonder if i'm gonna gte something good, then i become obsessed with the idea and i keep killing for example trolls well past my slayer assignment in the hopes of getting say a granite shield. I may have an assignment of 135 but if i think about a good drop i may kill double this (obviously not gaining slayer xp which is why i was there in the first place). This is my problem and i imagine a lot of people suffer from this. THE problem is the 1:5k ratio, this means that some people will kill 150k of things and receive nothing (this is entirely possible) and that others will kill 50 and get TWO dragon drops (equally possible) now i know if i'd been playing for 2 years and hadnt got a decent drop i'd probably quit (not because i was greedy, but because the game is basically laughing in your face). Jagex could lower the ration but then (in theory) the items would be further devalued. Unfortunately there is no solution to bad luck and no way of transfering good luck.

It's the dissapointments that make the accomplishment that much greater.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Eh, I sorta do that. I train Barrows for Spear. But, I still love the friends I make there, and the Mage xp I get.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

It's the dissapointments that make the accomplishment that much greater.

+1

I do think the general RS community sets their standards too high. My thing is on the subject, is this equation I came up with:

Persistance + Patience = Rewards

Follow that you ungrateful people that go insane when Jagex gives you an update not by Tuesday.

Hevendor_Guy.png

rsdeadzm5.png

There's cake through here, apparently.

i runescape is for fun, and for some people no-lfing for the rewards is fun... or at least the reward part.

i like runescape cause i always win at whatever i'm doing... normally, it'd get boring but i keep winning in different things so i'm happy :thumbsup:

Yayyyyyy...

Yeah...I can make like 300-400k per hour. Any time I do something that doesn't make me that much money, I begin to feel like Ive wasted time.

However, I then realise its a game and I just play it to have fun. Not to make money, or any of that stuff. If money comes from fun things, awesome. But if it doesn't, then I'll be poor. :D

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

its all luck and heres a great example of crapy luck

so when 3rd age comes out obviously everyones doin clues.

my self i camp at jellies and kill over 2k with no clue. while the guy next to me does 6 clues that day. he got like 2 3rd age items and just thought it was amazing. well i guess for him it was

well this is making me mad because before the 3rd age i had gotten a clue scroll everytime i did blue drags for a slayer task of maby 50 or so.

so i decide to go and get another rune deffender and my first drop is a clue scroll.

moral of the story- get rune deffenders.(also took 150 kills to git 1 rune deff and got second after 6 more kills) :P

Edit: so yesteer day i go to kill hell hounds for a slayer task and get clue after killing 5...

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png