The official World of Warcraft thread.

Nadril

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given my Authenticator to my brother and allowed him to change my password, with specific instructions that I should receive neither until January 8. See ya in a month WoW.

Expecting a good life because you're a good person is like expecting a bull not to charge because you're a vegetarian.

Level 40 Warlock now. Leveling is much easier now it seems like.

There are a lot of little things that I really like about the changes they have done since I've been gone. Just little UI things and then bigger things like how questing progression at lower levels is immensely better. I'm actually enjoying my self questing right now for the most part. I do feel like the outlands will probably kind of suck now, but eh.

I played WoW back in 2007, for about 5 months or so. I thought it was quite fun in the beginning, but after a while it kind of lost its point to me. Now I haven't played WoW at all ever since then, and I'm thinking to maybe start playing again now that Cataclysm is out. So what I'm asking you guys is... with Cataclysm (coming) out, how much different is it from back in 2007? Has it changed for the better or the worse? What kind of changes has made it better/worse. For example, I'm looking for changes which has made WoW more fun in the long term. I'd like to be convinced

Was there arenas in 07? Can't remember.

I'm pretty sure there was. BC was released at the beginning of 07, IIRC.

Have an authenticator, waiting for items to get restored. It's funny, my Horde toons were cleaned out, but my Alliance toons were being used by gold farmers, so now my Death Knight has about 4k gold and a bag full of greens and blues. 32 Arcane Tomes, too, for some reason. I guess they were farming like... the Tempest Keep instances.

Decided to try and level him through some of the new zones, which went well for a while. Pretty nervewracking, since I was pretty much one of about 10 Alliance in the entirety of Vash'jir, surrounded by about 15-20 Horde in any questing area at a time. They were surprisingly civil, bar the case of one or two, who I managed to dispatch. Most Horde were just content to quest, as long as we didn't get in each other's ways. I was sure as hell not going to start anything since that would have ended in me becoming a smear on the ocean floor. ._. It all went well up until Nespirah, where I was pretty much corpse camped until I ragequit. Can't wait to bust some skulls once the playing field is a tiny bit more level, since most Horde on Thaurissan are absolutely terrible at PvP. They wanted to be able to do the whole 'hurr we play on a PvP server we are hardcore' without the actual PvP aspect.

There are some hilarious Alliance on this server, though. There was this one guy who was the leader of like a group of Rogues, and he posted in full RP style on the forums. He honestly must have spent his entire time on that toon ganking lowbies in Northrend and stuff. He used to talk about how if he managed to stop just one Horde from getting to 80, his job would be complete. Another funny thing he did with about two other Rogues was camp Titanium veins in Sholazar. Horde comes down to mine it -> gets murdered, Rogues go back into stealth and wait for the next victim. Funny stuff.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

when I read your stories I kinda wish I rerolled on a PvP server but for every fun world PvP experience there are 10 corpsecampers or "death from above" situations.

Installing Cataclysm now, tomorrow I should get unbanned.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

I have an 80 druid, and 80 hunter, a 75 pally, and a 70 rogue. Should I bother with hunter PvP? From what I hear, it's awful, and I really don't want to start leveling or even buy the game until they get fixed. Any respectable hunter PvPers out there (1800+) want to offer an opinion?

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

UNBANNED AMG

priorities:

- Get 85 while leveling skinning/mining

- Gear up while questing in the zones I haven't finished yet

- ??

- profit

Retired

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

So I'm trying out the trial and I'm getting into it a bit more than last time, but I was wondering; If I'm just starting out would it be best to play through the original game, then get the expansions or do they add enough low levelled content to warrant getting them now?

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

So I'm trying out the trial and I'm getting into it a bit more than last time, but I was wondering; If I'm just starting out would it be best to play through the original game, then get the expansions or do they add enough low levelled content to warrant getting them now?

The only things that require expansions at lower levels are rolling Draenei and Blood Elves (Burning Crusade exp.), Death Knights (level 55, WotLK exp.) and Goblins and Worgen (Cataclysm exp.). Unless you really want to roll one of those four races, I'd just pick up the first game and see if you like it, and when (if?) you hit 60, buy BC, and so on.

Or you could just go and pick up the Battlechest for... $40, I think. It has the original game and the BC expansion. Not sure if it has the Wrath one or if they're going to release a Battlechest with both expansions anytime soon. If only you got interested like a couple of weeks ago, it costed $20 for the two old expansions and the original game.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonmaw/gatoraide/simple

2 days 8 hours to get to 60. That's including a bit of afk time too. Also my trinket combination is awesome. Quick like 1600-1700hp burst heal. (They don't share CD).

Really enjoying warlock so far, especially demonology. I have a really good feeling about my 2v2 and 3v3 comps I'll be running. (Warlock/Paladin 2v2 , Warlock/Paladin/Rogue 3v3).

Some other thoughts on WoW post 4.0 now:

I'm actually really pleasantly surprised with WoW. While it still is just you running around doing quests I felt like the 1-60 experience was tenfold better than before. Western Plaguelands, Eastern Plaguelands... they both had some of the best quest chains I have played in the game to date. It's clear that they have learned a lot over the years about what is fun and not fun... and the new quests are actually enjoyable. I enjoyed and actually read some of the quest text with the 1-60 zones.

This coupled with the fact that progression is so much more streamlined.. it really is an entire different game. I have leveled 1-60 and I have no once stepped foot in Kalimidor save for when a dungeon queue takes me there. I find that crazy to be honest, to think of all the zones I actually skipped. It used to be that you would scramble for quests and that would mean you would have to go to zones that, quite honestly, sucked. Now I pretty much stuck around with the "dwarven" side of things. There is a really clear progression out there and it's nice that each zone essentially has its own story arch going on. No longer is it just a random assortment of quests you don't care about.

I think the direction Blizzard is taking WoW is a good one. They've realized that a quest model like this can be fine if the quests are interesting. I think they also realized that having fun content is much more important than making sure the leveling experience lasts long enough. This is such a huge difference from the way they took things back in Vanilla WoW and I like it. Grinding endless mobs for no reason is never fun.

So yeah, there is just a lot of things that I actually am very surprised about. I mean, I thought I could have a bit of fun for a while but I'm actually legitimately enjoying the leveling experience (at least 1-60, I'm sure 60-70 will kinda be boring) for probably the first time in my time playing this game.

It's easy to hate Blizzard but [bleep] man, they kind of know what they're doing.

If you take your time to read the story the quest provides you with leveling is great. I just dinged 82 and I only did ~70% of Vashj'ir. Next zone will be deepholm for me because I saw a friend of mine quest there and it looked amazing. I love the look and feel of Vashj'ir, especially the ruined city. Blizzard did a great job with that zone. Can't wait to raid there it should be epic.

Retired

If you take your time to read the story the quest provides you with leveling is great. I just dinged 82 and I only did ~70% of Vashj'ir. Next zone will be deepholm for me because I saw a friend of mine quest there and it looked amazing. I love the look and feel of Vashj'ir, especially the ruined city. Blizzard did a great job with that zone. Can't wait to raid there it should be epic.

I hit 85 two days ago and I was only in Vashj'ir for about 20% of all my levels, and even though I wasn't there much, I hated that damn place. Twilight Highlands was my favorite, I enjoyed it the most out of them all.

On another note, how does everyone like Heroic dungeons? They're so much harder now compared to WotLK. My guild can only afford to do G Runs because PUGs can almost never finish them now.

I hit 85 two days ago and I was only in Vashj'ir for about 20% of all my levels, and even though I wasn't there much, I hated that damn place. Twilight Highlands was my favorite, I enjoyed it the most out of them all.

On another note, how does everyone like Heroic dungeons? They're so much harder now compared to WotLK. My guild can only afford to do G Runs because PUGs can almost never finish them now.

The first part sucks, agreed, but once you move on to the next part it gets much better.

Almost 83 now and did Stonecore, BRC and ToT. Stonecore is definately the hardest. First time we oneshotted everything, second time we wiped 4 times on the last boss. It's an amazing fight though. BRC seems easy, we even got to ignore the mechanic on the seconds boss and bursted through it (wrath-style :P). Can't wait to try the heroic modes. Deepholm looks amazing and I plan on going there until 84 and then finishing in the Twilight Highlands. I did the moutn Hyjal intro quest (amg ragnaros) but I'm not going to carry on there, the zone doesn't appeal to me.

The new hard dungeons must be awful for DPS. People leave all the time. Hurray for tanks :D.

@Y_Guy: It's more fun now:twss:

Retired

It is really easy to aoe grind/quest as a demo lock.

I can literally pull as many mobs as there are in an are and kill them all with very minimal cooldown usage. Pretty much just Felguard felstorm and maybe trinkets (don't need to).

It really is just

Gather mobs > Felstorm > Hellfire > all dead. Maybe takes 10-15 seconds for the entire process. Like just now I got done with a quest (6 blistering rots in hellfire) with 1 go. Also to note my pet is full hp at the end of this and I am half hp at most (mostly from the pulling).

Is lock aoe grinding a "thing" or am I just doing something new/different here? I know as an old mage there was always talk about aoe grinding.

I can literally pull as many mobs as there are in an are and kill them all with very minimal cooldown usage. Pretty much just Felguard felstorm and maybe trinkets (don't need to).

It really is just

Gather mobs > Felstorm > Hellfire > all dead. Maybe takes 10-15 seconds for the entire process. Like just now I got done with a quest (6 blistering rots in hellfire) with 1 go. Also to note my pet is full hp at the end of this and I am half hp at most (mostly from the pulling).

Is lock aoe grinding a "thing" or am I just doing something new/different here? I know as an old mage there was always talk about aoe grinding.

From my knowledge, AoE grinding has always been a thing for Warlocks, Paladins and Mages. Now with the Felstorm and Hand of Gul'Dan (probably spelled that wrong) and Hellfire while moving its more common for Warlocks to be at it. Frost Mages have always been the kings of the AoE grind though;)

Expecting a good life because you're a good person is like expecting a bull not to charge because you're a vegetarian.

It really is just

From my knowledge, AoE grinding has always been a thing for Warlocks, Paladins and Mages. Now with the Felstorm and Hand of Gul'Dan (probably spelled that wrong) and Hellfire while moving its more common for Warlocks to be at it. Frost Mages have always been the kings of the AoE grind though;)

When I was leveling my Prot pally in WotLK (around 3.1 or so), I could take up to thirty mobs at one time if they were all melee. The key was getting as many as you could at one time and heal yourself when low. I never ran out of mana because of all the blocking with Holy Shield, and because of how many mobs I had. :)

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

It really is just

I never liked AoE grinding as a mage. Way too annoying doing frost grinding because if nova broke early on a mob it'd suck.

Well my mates have nearly finished the normal raiding content (lol) 1 boss to go for them. Wonder how long "hardmode" will last, if it'll last as long as Ulduar did.

Let me guess, Nefarian? That boss looks sweet imo, even if it's been done before.

Was this done in 25 man or 10 man? From what I hear, 25 mans are jokes because deaths matter way less, and damage has not been upped, while 10 mans feel almost impossible with the current gear.

22031_s.gif

Apparently there's some (permanent) despawn issues related to Nefarian. It's probably why there's so many high calibre guilds stuck at 11/12 for the time being. I hope Blizzard can works things out before the next raid reset; with Nefarian being the gatekeeper to heroic difficulty for the Blackwing raid, there'd be a huge cabbagestorm if many of the top guilds get delayed by a week due to a bug.

I've been keeping in touch with the guild I spent most of my WotLK raiding time in, and they're having a pretty hard time with the 10-man bosses. Considering that they're at a respectable ranking even with only 5 boss kills, it seems that they're not alone in this, either.

That said, considering the speed that they've been levelling at I don't really regret not re-subscribing. I don't think I'd have enjoyed the levelling experience if I'd have to rush to level 85 in a few days' time.

Vashj'ir was great, even with my experience there of the nightmarish queues for questing because of the 100's of people there on day one I still enjoyed it greatly. If only I didnt have finals I couldve been one of the first 85 :unsure: , oh well next expansion I guess :D

Vashj'ir was really fun at first but I'm almost level 82 now, and I must say I'm getting tired of being underwater :(

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Vash'jir was amaaaaazing. Especially the Ruins of Vash'jir and the Naga Battlemaiden quests. That whole place just looked spectacular. I'm sure they're building the Naga up to something other than just mooks to kill. The obvious thing would be a splinter faction against Azshara in the Nazjatar raid (whatever expansion that comes out in), kinda like the Ashtongue Deathsworn, I guess. It's like they're trying to get you to understand them if not like them. But yeah this is just me being a lorenerd. Got Cataclysm Loremaster, all the zones were pretty enjoyable, some of the bugs in Uldum were awful, though. D:

Also, augh, some of the in-game cinematics look absolutely terrible. Particularly the ones in the Twilight Highlands involving dragons and zeppelins.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men