Wow, RuneScape players are sure gullible.

ixfd64

It's amazing how rumors can spread like wildfire. Recently, a player posted a fake message from Mod Mark which claimed that the Wilderness will be back to "normal" on December 18th, and that stakers over level 75 will be able to stake up to 100k. The message was clearly fake, given the poor grammar, yet many players still believed it.

Yesterday, I posted a thread (which was later deleted) about players taking the game too far and doing drastic things. To illustrate what might happen, I posted a hypothetical news article about a 14-year-old boy throwing bricks through Jagex office windows.

Here is my original post (the bracketed part was not copied before my thread was deleted; it may not be exactly the same as what I originally wrote):

A 14-year-old teen was arrested in Cambridge on Thursday morning for throwing several bricks through office windows. The teen, who was not identified by police, was charged for property destruction and will be due to appear in court on December 14th. According to police, the office belonged to Jagex Ltd., a company that specializes in Java computer games. [According to police officials, the teen was upset about a recent change in the company's game, RuneScape.]

I clearly said that it was hypothetical, yet many players thought it was true, and now it has been posted on several other sites, including the RSOF, Zybez, and GameFAQs. Other people even decided to deliberately spread this as a rumor, and changing the date from Thursday to Tuesday to make it more believable (as it wasn't even Thursday when people started posting it).

I guess this is why we should take any rumors with a grain of salt.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the rumors of things being changed back: it's easy to see why so many blindly believed that one. In their hysteria over the recent updates, they would probably hold onto any false hope that their ranting and raving is actually accomplishing anything.

Miniclip does not host runescape on the site...Jagex was smart (for at least a couple minutes) to do that. It still don't matter peoples friends play it and they play it and stink and eventually we get idiotic children on here.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

A 17 year old boy was given $10,000,000 by Jagex Ltd. today due the amount of time he has spent playing. When the press asked the president of the company, Andrew Gower, he simply replied with "Wakka102 is totally l33t z0mg hack!!!11". The money was given to the boy December 12th 2007 for reasons that Andrew seems reluctant to release to the press.

A 17 year old boy was given $10,000,000 by Jagex Ltd. today due the amount of time he has spent playing. When the press asked the president of the company, Andrew Gower, he simply replied with "Wakka102 is totally l33t z0mg hack!!!11". The money was given to the boy December 12th 2007 for reasons that Andrew seems reluctant to release to the press.

Lol Wakka :P Also at the post a few posts up about this being real news :lol: "Jagex Gets the Brick"

tipitsig.png

Ha, now there's a thread about your prank here.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

To clarify: when I posted that "news" article, I didn't intend for it to be a hoax/prank. I even said that it was a hypothetical article.

However, it seemed that some players had other ideas. Some even decided to change "Thurday" to "Tuesday" in order to make players believe that it was real. :lol:

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Lmao, I busted out laughing when I read this. I say we implement an IQ test into RuneScape, and everyone must pass. Any RuneScapers with an IQ of under 40 should be banned instantly.

asigthegodofsoupzz0.gif

The spelling and grammar of that email was that of an 11 year old palestinian goatboy who is speaking english for the first time
Quite simply, Facebook craps on Myspace. Then makes it eat the crap.

Lmao, I busted out laughing when I read this. I say we implement an IQ test into RuneScape, and everyone must pass. Any RuneScapers with an IQ of under 40 should be banned instantly.

Lose 50% of the loyal players in to combat RWT

Lose another 25% of the players to combat IQ?

Whats next :P

And yes, I do take rumours like pranks first. Only when Ive seen absolute proof I will believe it.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite