Tip.It Times Presents: Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!

The_Editor

"There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people." Or so the old saying goes, and so far I've had no reason to disagree with it. Because no matter what one does to protect oneself and others, a person intent on causing harm or doing damage will find a way to do so. The trick is to arrange things so that the cost to them is high enough to deter...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this artical is very well written. I like this part alot

Jagex has come up with a wonderful way of preventing the two most common trading scams ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ substituting items and offering up less cash ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ by implementing the second trade window. Of course, people still get scammed because they don't take the time to check the second window, but that's not Jagex's fault. They've designed a system with adequate safeguards; those who ignore the safeguards do so at their own risk.

Jagex has our backs. :D

Very simple: they invite the buyer to come to the German server, betting on the fact that the buyer doesn't speak German and thus can't tell that he/she is getting a substandard substitute.
<.<

It's sad that people are already abusing the German servers. It's ment to be a great thing that could add to the game. -.- I really liked how you looked at the problem and came up with a solution.

While clearer item's in the trade menu would be great. POssible a "view" option. People should be smart enough to realize that if they can't read the items name and they are suspicious to just not trade. You can always get thye same item on an english server.

TY editor for the artical. :P

N_odie out!

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

interesting....

I knew of the German scam before anything else. Anyway, I use the German server to learn about the certain item/s. I may also try to get scammers in their own game and anyway, if you don't know German, DON'T TRADE THERE.

Also, T in german server means K (100T = 100k)

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Nice article. But I think it's pretty strange "Uloveme"s thread about the very same was locked, because it would help people to abuse it, but writing a whole article about it is totally ok. :roll:

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Its not hard really, something even the great editor failed to mention. The best way to avoid all of this nonsense- the antiscam trading trick.

Mainly used for herblore unids, it can be adapted to all items. Say you are buying mage logs-take 1 noted mage log and fill the rest of your invo with unrelated junk. If the trade goes through, then you get what you expected from the trade. If it does not, then the other person was trying to scam you but made a fool of themselves in the process. simple as that, yet never used.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Perhaps the Item Researchers or volunteers should gather all the German item names and the Tip.It team can include it into the Items Database. With the quantity of items, this might be a huge endevour but I believe it will be a worthwhile one.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

Yea lol i know wat u mean, good story with very accurate details. I got scammed a few times.......10k for a scimym with loads of noob junk(was selling for 100k cause a guy wanted it that bad.......) and i bought 1k big bones for 300k(turns out they were nroaml bones).

Link2fast.png

mybbsig.png

Ultimately your safety in RuneScape depends on you. No one else is responsible for it, not even Jagex ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ if you do stupid things, if you're careless or irresponsible, that's not Jagex's fault, it's yours.

See? Even the Editor agrees with this basic idea. Slightly off topic, the article from a few weeks ago about luring can be backed up with this quote. If you pay attention and use common sense, nothing horrible can happen.

Back on topic: Maybe Tip.It can make up a topic on the forums with the translations of the more commonly scammed items. For free-to-play, regular sapphire, emerald, ruby, and diamond amulets are often used for scamming amulets of magic, defense, strength and power, because they look so much alike. Being f2p, I don't know any members look-a-likes, but I'm sure that for people who don't know German, this scam can be very devastating.

German was my mother language, so I volunteer to find some free-to-play item look-a-likes and find the exact translations. Tip.It is a great community, and I'd do anything to help out! <3:

(Also, I have a question... are the German servers actually up now? I know some people were invited to test them, but I never heard if the servers are publically available yet.)

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

These seem to be getting increasingly pointless.

Howabout something interesting for a change? Like we had when the first issue came out.

Also, you'd have to be pretty dumb to fall for that trick. It's dirty, I know, but anyone who stands to lose much would probably be smarter than to do something like that.

Thanks for looking out for all the 9 year olds though.

thankyou for the heads up i play on the german servers regulary but cant speak a word of it i just do things i usulay do because i can do them with my eyes closed lol. i understood the heading from the beginning \'

oh and by the way even though i knew this dyk i think its better than usual because it was only released recently

I liked this article, nice to let people know how to prevent scamming.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

well another informative text since I didn't know that the German servers were being abused, sad though they are :thumbdown:

Nice read a bit short and would you please write another article about recent updates in for example graphics/ content, or a nice interview or a little piece of history? The last few articles were all about the way players or jagex behave or play the game and I, for one am getting a little tired talking company language or viewing the game through the eyes of scammers etc. <.<

Just a question, does anybody ever read these responses? Seems kinda pointless to have this here when people just post and say "how good".

i read them and they open discussion because people put in a point of view only spammers like yourself put in how good