*If* account sharing was legal...

Lordjake

Each day I see people selling/trading accounts on whatever world I'm playing on.

They risk the security of both their items and their accounts when they choose these actions, but nevertheless, they continue to do it.

When people share accounts, they risk Jagex banning the account, thus erasing all the time you've put into it.

~ But what if Jagex decided to make account sharing legal? ~

Now you could let any of your friends use and train your account, free of any possible action by Jagex.

The obvious benefit would be an increased amount of training time for the account. If you have to log out( to sleep, for example), your friend on the other side of the globe could log in and continue training. When you wake up the next morning, *ta da* the account just gained 400k exp.

However, you would still be taking the risk that your "friend" that you're sharing the account with isn't actually a friend.

In a snap, you could lose the account, its bank, and all the time you put into it.

Some people choose to take these risks, in addition to the basic illegality of it.

So what I'm asking is, would you account share if Jagex allowed it?

When you answer, please explain why also. I'd like to see your reasonings behind either Yes or No.

There is no right answer here, I'm mostly just curious to see how you respond, and your thought behind it.

160vy.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall correctly, it wasn't always illegal to share accounts but there was always massive amounts of rants on fan site, the short lived original forums and sent to customer support explaining how someone who was account sharing would log in one day to find there password changed and all the work they had put in being taken by the other person.

But would I account share? No, its my account, I like what I have acheived pretty much entirly on my own (not big on taking part of the economy).

Caldius.png

Naa. Far too risky for my taste.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

i wouldnt mind sharing my account with my friend... but hes been my close friend for as long as i remember so hes really trustworthy

(and if he stole my account, id kill him :twisted: )

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

I wouldn't risk my account. I have put down way to much time on my account for risking to lose it by sharing it with a friend.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Well I know people of trust and I would share my account with people I trust...I wish JaGex will make that legal :pray: .

dragonmghost,flava%20falcon.gif

support new ghostly stuff here.

I see RuneScape slowly turning into a sadistic version of WoW.

.signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you If

i'd not even share my acc with my kids.

all that i have created is my own hard work and i plan it to stay that way

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

There'd have to be some major precautions in place if I do. To but it bluntly, trusting someone I've never met screams against my instincts - so I'd have to know them in real life. It could work if my brother played and moved to Canada or something... then I could beat him up at Christmas time if he stole from me...

But otherwise no, never and a million times again: No!

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

no no and no again!

i have put way to much time in my account, and i would like all the work in the account to be called my own

and the other resion is that im a player mod, and who knows what someone would do with the power >.> (off topic: because about 85% of the rs community want the crown for all the wrong resions, and they get told wrong infomation about them (powers that we dont have, free items/members etc)

offical quest freek

qpsig-4.png i DO have max qp...just havent got around to updating this yet

100 combat on 26/4/2007 at 23:05 GMT

mm.png jmods ftw XD

Honestly, it doesn't matter if they made account sharing legal. I wouldn't let anyone on my account, EVER. Hell, I don't let my best friend drive my car unless I'm incapasitated or something. I know tons of people who let others use their account. I've seen them get their rares stole, banned, and even sold. Why would I want someone to share the achievements that are mine anyways? Yea, many people would trust these so called "friends", but if you were smart, you wouldn't.

soulthresher.png

I've seen subjects close to this maaany times. I think the answer is quite simple. The ones who share account, already shares account regardless of the rules allow it or not. I don't think the situation would change much even if they made account sharing legal.

Hmmm?

-----------------------------------

- Started April 2001

- RSC Combat Level 116

- 4th player to 99 Thieving

- Number 1 in magic from april 2003 to December 2004

- Quitted RSC Nomvember 2004 (played rs2 3 months though)

Not that I would ever share my account, but if they were going to implement this idea, it should be with some kind of master system on it.

Like someone has the "master" password and someone else has a different password. And the other person could never change it, or access the bank or something like that.

I fully appreciate this isn't well written, but it's hard to put what I'm trying to say into words.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

I would never share my account for three reasons.

1. Like you said, there's no guarantee of getting the account back.

2. That other person, even if they're trustworthy, may be using the account when I want access to it myself.

3. It would feel like cheating.

However, I guess if account sharing was legal I could always let my partner play my character (if she was into gaming that is, which she isn't). Now, I'll bet there's a lot of people do that just now since Jagex couldn't possibly track such an offense (since most of these offenders would be playing from the same computer).

Harrington.gif

Well, I wouldn't share my main, but if account sharing was legal, my clan would probably have like a clan account, and every trustworthy clan member would know its pass, and log in to train it every once in a while.

That would be fun... :anxious:

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.