How many languages can you speak?

dsavi

I break the rule for Americans(Americans are supposed to only speak one language), because I can read and write English and Swedish, and I can write Finnish.

Just for fun, add up your 'Language score'. Or something like that sounds good. Add half a point for every language you can speak, and another half for every language you can write. And another for every language you understand. Obviously, you can't add half a point for a language you can only write, but not understand. :lol:

That makes my score: (ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâýx3 for Swedish, ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâýx3 for English, ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâýx2 for Finnish)=4 points. (+1.5=5.5)

EDIT: Wait- I can also understand Estonian, Norwegian and Danish. Add 1 and another half points.

My score= 5.5

C2b6gs7.png

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 pretty fluently-ish.

English, Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia.

Score: 6

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I find it hard to score my language knowledge (I'd have to be able to write a novel in any language before I'd say I can write it).

But I speak and write well enough in Dutch (mother language) and English.

I also speak and write French, but with some more trouble. It is the language I have to speak daily at work though.

I'm in my third year of German courses. I understand a lot, speaking/writing is still very basic.

And I learned ancient Greek and Latin at school. That's many years ago (sigh), so a lot of that knowledge is lost. I can still translate the odd Latin saying though. And thanks to those 6 years of Latin, I can understand a bit of Spanish and Italian as well.

I'd love to learn Swedish too, it's such a cute sing-song language.

Finnish and english.. thats 3 points for me. I had to go to swedish classes at school but I didin't really learn anything because of my attidute was so against it that time :wall:

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

German (native) and my english is okay i guess. Naturally it comes easiest to me to read english. My writing is fairly okay and i can speak fairly fluently with little accent (I can speak italian with little accent to, or hungarian for that matter. I don't understand the words though.) I have troubles understanding some slangs though.

Swedish and English (duh) A little bit of Norweigan, Danish, Icelandic and German.

I'd love to learn Russian.

LÃÆÃâÃâära sig lede FI's sprÃÆÃâÃâÃÂ¥k ÃÆÃâÃâär behÃÆÃâÃâändigt. \'

tifsbti6oi.gif

I can understand written and spoken English, Spanish, Italian and German.

But I can only speak and write English now. The rest faded off as I didn't use them often enough to retain it.

So that's like 1 or 2? I dunno :-?

Native speaker of Swedish/Finnish plus Serbian from my father's side... English as a 3rd language, Russian as 4th... :) Also capable of medium-level japanese speaking and reading, but still trying to learn...

I'm looking towards finalizing my language set by learning Chinese and Arabic as well, but that will be a monster task since I don't just want to learn a language.. If I study it, I want to speak it fluently so I can't be distinguished from a native even over a phone..

I figure Chinese will be the hardest to learn, and I probably wont even bother trying to learn the 10,000+ different signs, just fluent speaking and some basic reading skills... A great motivation is the massive benefit of knowing the language: China will in a decade or two surpass the US militarily and economically...

And it doesn't hurt that out of the world's 6.5 billion people, 1.5 billion speak mandarin chinese as their mother tongue.

Native Hungarian speaker & and writer, living in Hungary.

Studied in the USA, english speaker & writer.

Studying latin at school, I can only write though, speaking takes way too long time.

Also studying German at a mediocre level, let's just consider it writer & speaker as well.

rickastleywh7.png

I can speak English (my native language) and I can speak just about enough French to get by.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý for Spanish and Italian, 1 for Greek, Latin and French, 1ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý for Dutch, English and German... 7ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý in all.

4----ish.

English, Welsh - (I bet I'm one of the few Welshies on here), French and a little Swedish (Thanks to Az).

^_^

Yay! I'm welsh \'

2 languages, Welsh and English. So that's 3 points I think.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

Woo! I think you're the second person I've seen who's Welsh on these forums in the past 3 years. ('part from Rhys, a close friend of mine).

Can you speak it fluently?

New sig to come!

English is my only language i'd claim to be fluent in. My French would be passable in most places up to a point, my German would get me by and I speak a tiny bit of Spanish.

I've never really studied a language to be able to hold down a conversation in that language that would actually be useful in a foreign country. I did a French A-level last year but unless you want a discussion about politics or the media in France it isn't much help.

When I get older, learning a few languages properly is something I definitely want to do.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"