Staking riot

subz

I can see where they are coming from with this... bit I still think it's a really weak reason to kill many peoples' enjoyment of the game. Plus 3k in 15 mins? Why not per stake or something? :S Even then it would still take a long time to transfer a substantial amount :S, even 100k... #-o

Blakdragon39.png

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what they've done :?

Yes, thank you for being so literal. The same value without a cap. There, happy?

1 mil for the top stakers seems a reasonable cap to me. It's not just poor players buying cash in the real world.

Sorry, but I cant help but sense some strong jealousy on your part towards stakers. As if the fact that 99% of them end up getting cleaned out and losing everything eventualy isnt enough to justify them making so much $.

I say be and let be, but obviously that isnt the commonly accepted phylosophy.

?

That has nothing to do with my above post. I was merely pointing out that balancing stakes on both sides won't solve the real world trading problem. Like, say I want to buy a 400 mil item. I have 200 mil, and wish to buy the other 200 mil with real world money. Even if they require even stakes, I could simply buy the other 200 mil, go stake, each player puts up 200 mil, I win the stake, I take the 200 mil I bought. That's the only point I was making. You're reading waaaaaay more into my comments than is actually there. Just because I don't see the new system as a bad alternative to the old one doesn't automatically mean that I am somehow jealous or angry at the people who used the old system, for either fun or profit.

Honestly, I don't understand why you seem to be reading all of these things into what I'm saying. You don't even stake, and yet seem incredibly defensive. What's the deal?

wow... what a waste of time, when have riots ever changed Jagex's mind?

Don't you remember that riot where they protested about the new PC and complained to try and get shields removed?

Sigh... Some people don't realize that you can please some people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

99/99 Cooking. 1500+ total level. 96+ Combat

lawlkv8.png

Only riot I will ever support (although not go to.) Unlike the other controversial updates of the past there was still a large majority of the community that was happy, for example PC many wanted that nerfed. But this scloe to no one wants even if your not a staker. Its just overkill. :roll:

Costantino.png

Because large amount of people are getting unjustly punished for bad actions of the few. Its like killing bazooka with a fly.

If they can do this to stakers than they can turn around and do the same to merchants with GE and PKers with wilderness and skillers and just about anything else.

This change isnt justifieble in my opinion so I am against it. I would be equally against it if it screwed skillers or pkers or anyone else, im on the side of what I believe to be the greater justice.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

But here's the thing - the update just came out. Jagex has created a game mechanism that allows for players to win a pretty sizeable amount of money by fighting other players. The dueling system has been changed, not eliminated. Players may have to adapt the way they duel for money, but it's absolutely impossible to say today, when the system isn't even fully up and running, that anyone has been "punished."

If Jagex was really punishing stakers, they would have simply gotten rid of the dueling arena altogether. But it's ridiculous to me that everyone is bashing a brand new system, and doing so almost exclusively with no attention paid to how the new system works. It's totally justifiable. Jagex has gotten rid of something that many people used to break the rules, and replaced it with something that can't be abused as easily by those rule breakers, while still giving people the opportunity to use their dueling skills to win a pretty sizeable amount of money from their opponent(s).

In short, most everyone posting in anger about this update is doing so from a position of ignorance. And these knee-jerk posts are doing nothing but waste everybody's time. Make an informed, reasoned post beyond simply stating "This is ujustifiable," and maybe it will be somewhat constructive.

But here's the thing - the update just came out. Jagex has created a game mechanism that allows for players to win a pretty sizeable amount of money by fighting other players. The dueling system has been changed, not eliminated. Players may have to adapt the way they duel for money, but it's absolutely impossible to say today, when the system isn't even fully up and running, that anyone has been "punished."

If Jagex was really punishing stakers, they would have simply gotten rid of the dueling arena altogether. But it's ridiculous to me that everyone is bashing a brand new system, and doing so almost exclusively with no attention paid to how the new system works. It's totally justifiable. Jagex has gotten rid of something that many people used to break the rules, and replaced it with something that can't be abused as easily by those rule breakers, while still giving people the opportunity to use their dueling skills to win a pretty sizeable amount of money from their opponent(s).

In short, most everyone posting in anger about this update is doing so from a position of ignorance. And these knee-jerk posts are doing nothing but waste everybody's time. Make an informed, reasoned post beyond simply stating "This is ujustifiable," and maybe it will be somewhat constructive.

The winner can win up to 64 mil. The rest get nothing. No runner up no nothing. It sucks okay.

The riot of SS changed rule 7?

The riot didn't do anything but get some people banned and muted...

The rule was that all three party clients weren't not allowed and they say they would banned people if they kept using SS. With the help of rioters and Strider talking to Jagex himself. Now Jagex just warns that you might get your password stolen etc etc.

You don't have to do a 64 person tourney. You can do 32, 16, 8, 4, or 2. But hey, at least that is a fair criticism, I think it would be a much better improvement if you could do more than a straight winner-take-all tournament. Although I'm also betting that the best stakers think they have a good chance to win a 64 person tournament much of the time, and repeatedly win 63 million. Meaning, they are probably much less concerned about there being 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th place prizes.

You can still get 63 million GP! That's nothing to laugh at! Staking was not ruined, it simply takes more luck now!

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

The thing is this doesn't stop the real world item trading problem at all.

I don't know exactly how Jagex detects it, but my guess is they have a system that looks for unbalanced trades. Why can't they just implement a system that looks for unbalanced stakes...

Jagex must have an ulterior motive..but why? Why change a system that has been the same since it was implemented over 5 years ago?

What Jagex did is comparable to only being allowed:

12 Magic logs an hour, 40 yew logs an hour...ect

40 natures an hour...ect

1 rune ore per hour...

In otherwords they set a limit on the amount of money that can be earned an hour. This is not how runescape has ever been. The fun of runescape is you can play it anyway you want. You should not be forced to level skills you find boring. You should not have to play the game how everyone else plays it.

This doesn't seem like a decision Andrew would of made..I have a feeling someone else has decision making abilities. Maybe Andrew doesn't even work for Jagex anymore, but it was never announced because they didn't want to scare away any subscribers...but that's just a assumption, and we all know what assumptions do.

Again, I do not like to stake, but I feel some of the recent decisions Jagex has made are a little extreme. Btw, the way you talk, you don't understand the new system either. You can't even stake 1m per stake until you have the highest rank, and in order to have that, you have to have extremely high combat stats. No more lvl 90's-110's stakers making good money.

Also(sorry for the poor organization of this post, I'm just posting as idea's pop into my head), If I risk 100k, go through the tournament, get second...Not only do I not gain anything out of it, I only lost 100k...so it's not a big deal to me. Stakers like staking because it gave them a rush...made the game extremely exciting. They could either be among the richest in runescape, or cleaned out and have nothing. It's exciting. The new system isn't.

w4M8t.png

The riot of SS changed rule 7?

The riot didn't do anything but get some people banned and muted...

The rule was that all three party clients weren't not allowed and they say they would banned people if they kept using SS. With the help of rioters and Strider talking to Jagex himself. Now Jagex just warns that you might get your password stolen etc etc.

Yeah Strider talking to JaGEx changed it but the rioters didn't do anything.

It was posted on the RSOF as well.

icecube7.jpeg

i hate riots :evil:

world 99 is the anti riot riot world :twisted:

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

The thing is this doesn't stop the real world item trading problem at all.

I don't know exactly how Jagex detects it, but my guess is they have a system that looks for unbalanced trades. Why can't they just implement a system that looks for unbalanced stakes...

Because that wouldn't fix the problem. If I have 100 mil in the bank, and then buy another 100 mil, and then go to the duel arena to stake, we can each put up the 100 mil, I win the stake, and that's it. It's totally undetectable. You're making the assumption that only poor players buy cash or items in the real world.

Not to mention, a lot of good, honest stakers used wildly uneven stakes to make money by enticing reluctant or overmatched players to stake them.

What Jagex did is comparable to only being allowed:

12 Magic logs an hour, 40 yew logs an hour...ect

40 natures an hour...ect

1 rune ore per hour...

In otherwords they set a limit on the amount of money that can be earned an hour. This is not how runescape has ever been. The fun of runescape is you can play it anyway you want. You should not be forced to level skills you find boring. You should not have to play the game how everyone else plays it.

This argument makes no sense, really. A 64 person, 1 mil entrance fee tournament will take what, 10 or 15 minutes to complete? You can still make hundreds of mils an hour staking. It may have reduced the amount of money stakers can make in one shot, but it doesn't exactly take away the ability to make money. Staking will still remain far and away the fastest way to make money for the top stakers.

Also(sorry for the poor organization of this post, I'm just posting as idea's pop into my head), If I risk 100k, go through the tournament, get second...Not only do I not gain anything out of it, I only lost 100k...so it's not a big deal to me. Stakers like staking because it gave them a rush...made the game extremely exciting. They could either be among the richest in runescape, or cleaned out and have nothing. It's exciting. The new system isn't.

This is kind of off the topic, but I don't think there are very many top stakers who were really risking it all, because if you lose everything, then you have to spend a whole lot of time skilling in order to go back to staking. I think you would find that the experienced stakers use a system significantly more complicated than "Bet everything I have until I lose," in order to ensure that, even if they lose billions, they still have a backup bankroll to use in stakes that are more of a sure thing for them, until they get back on their feet.

While I'm not a fan of staking, it was always considered to be one of the things in the game that actually took some skill and wit in order to master, as well as huge risk but had massive payoffs, many MANY people enjoyed old fashioned staking. If this update isn't changed I fear Jagex will lose a fair bit of business. Their justification of item trading can be done through normal Item trading :? , thats a really poor excuse.

Maybe I am missing something... My understanding is you have to win a certain number of stakes to get a high ranking. With a high ranking you can join the 1 million gp tournaments. Now enless I am mistaken, a tournament can consist of 2 people. I don't see anything that says a tournament has to be 64 person free for all.

Lets take a look at this mathematically.

Say i had 1 mill, and bet for 1mill 64 times. In the old system, I would have won technically 32 times, gaining 1 mill each time. This would equal out to about 32mill gained, not including costs of food and potions.

Now lets take a look at the new system. Depending on your rank, you can play in 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2 people tournaments.

If I was to stake 64 times in a 64 man tourney, i would win.. once... So i would lose about 63 mill... If i was unlucky. If I was a Def tank or had 126 combat, the odds would be better. Unfortunately, the new system is chaos. Also, there is no runner up, which leaves the person who got in second place with nothing. Due to the nature of the new tournament system, there is no way to make a consistent profit, and there is no more skill anymore. Its just pure dumb luck. And yes, 1 on 1 duels take skill. Albeit luck is involved, skill is required.

Jagex might as well have attempted surgery with a chainsaw, you might remove the tumor, but the patient is dead.

I congratulate you Jagex. You have demolished staking.

I would reccomend you start with capping fishing next, and make people only be able to catch 3k worth of fishes every hour. Better yet, make a catch and release program, where you get xp but not a fish...

*rolls eyes*

No witty signatures for me :(

I think this picture sums up the general consensus on the update...

You all know how the rant about the Assist System reached 3000 in almost nothing?

Pq1rGRyA.jpg

*insert facepalm emoticon*

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

I think this picture sums up the general consensus on the update...

You all know how the rant about the Assist System reached 3000 in almost nothing?

Pq1rGRyA.jpg

*insert facepalm emoticon*

This is plain ridiculous, many players will get a forum ban since the only thing they've been doing for half the day was posting the same message over and over and over, they're litterally spamming the sticky

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

Sorry its sorta long, but i kinda kept coming up with things as i wrote.

Think about it, Staking was bringing tons of money into the hands of certain people who then were investing into phats, and other rares, and having huge net worth, and basically every single point of gold that was coming into the game is staying in the game, and only leaving through shops (hardly any), dropping money, or dieing with money, with no one around to get it, or by construction. So think about it, and easy/cheap way to get 99 construction can cost under 50m, and if you only want the 99, then thats it, so thats not even a fraction of a staker's ( good staker) wealth, and they possibly could have won that amount of money in 1-2 duels, which could have lasted less than 5 min. Thats what i think Jagex is trying to do. They are trying to have the people with all the money not be able to control the prices, and they also plan on taking out forms of money making that have developed by players. Originally, Dueling was to be a fun activity that players could prove their strength by fighting without the threat of losing their items in the wild, and maybe betting a bit on the side, but once staking took off as a money maker, staking was a way to lose more money in a single duel lose than 100 deaths in the wild. Jagex never intended it to be this way, as well as merchanting, they never intended it to be part of the game, so they are attempting to stabilize the market with the GE, and I think it may slow inflation/deflation by a TON. So Jagex, in my opinion, is simply trying to fix things that they never wanted in their game, and yes, let me repeat it..

THEIR GAME

Thats what most people seem to forget. Jagex made this game, they own this game, and they can do whatever they feel to do with it. As you have seen with the PC riot, it never got changed back, and if they change this back I would certainly be surprised. I am mad at the update, and I would personally love to see the update to be changed back to limitless staking, but staking was a way to transfer stolen money without ever really trading. So, think of this more of a fight against Gold Farmers, and not an attack on the players. Jagex wants to please it's players, but they must do whats best for the game in its entirety.

So yes, i am mad at a the update a bit, but I will never join in a riot over a virtual change in a game that can be changed however its creators want it to be changed.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

Think of it this way.

The stakers work to get their levels good for staking.

Then they take away the goal the staker was supposed to get when done training.

You can say, its like getting 99 fishing then suddenly, fishing gets deleted from the game.

More like, they remove all spots except shrimp and anchovy.

Yea, that would work the same way. :P

P.S. 800th post!! :D

yes, the only way that i was becoming rich again, ruined.

It was the fast way, now the fastest way is 1m per hr at rc for me...

Other stakers have got rich and jagex have closed the door behind them, the poor now stay poor, the rich stay rich. Duelling was the way that most ppl made the jump; other than masss amounts of time. :evil:

My skills, which i made specifically for duelling are put to waste and even tournaments don't have large prizes, i was expecting them to be mils and mils tournies...

I feel my time has been wasted, my first duel video ruined and prosperity prospects down the drain. Now the person with most time is the richest, the best-gives no-one else a chance.

Jagex, there are other ways of getting rid of RWITers, this isn't an acceptable one. And i doubt i will play much longer on such a mediocre income.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...