How quickly a situation escalated

-SuperMike-

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[guns] are NOT something you point at anyone unless you intend to shoot them - period.

:lol:

No.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I wasnt going to shoot to kill, i was going to shoot to stop him. And i didn't, and i'm glad i didn't and i'm glad it ended. I don't want to go through that again.

Chain = neckalace.

you do realize, even though you didnt do anything, that guy can press charges, chances are he wouldt get away with it cause he pulled a weapon too. but even though you didnt shoot you can get in alot of trouble

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

1980 Berlinetta with a 350, bored, mild cam, intake carb, headers, exhaust

Things that worry me

1) the only reason you didnt want to "jump" this kid is the fact the police might come, rather than any moral reason

2) people are willing to threaten/stab/shoot each other over jewellery, seriously WTF.

3) you "rushed" along with a gun - those thing are dangerous (duh) and are NOT something you point at anyone unless you intend to shoot them - period.

If this was in the UK, you'd be in prison for a long long time boy - hopefully its the same in the US.

This entire situation sickens me.

1. I didn't rush over there with a gun in my hand until i seen him reaching for somthing.

2. I wasn't going to shoot him over a piece of jewelry, I was protecting my friends/me.

3. I didn't want to jump him becuase I don't want to creat bigger situations aside from the fight (future situations)

4. I live in the USA

I think you have misunderstood me

in 1) I was referring to the part even before guns and knives became part of the situation - where you friend was about to beat someone and the only reason you had for not wanting to stop it was a cowardly regard for your own skin.

2) I was mostly referring to the other guy here - protecting your friends I have no problem with more the way you went about it which leads to....

3) I don't really get your answer here - if you are replying to my 3) then I was trying to highlight the complicated and dangerous nature of guns - they are not something to wave around in people's faces unless you know what you are doing - a knife can't go off and kill someone by accident - a gun can.

4) In that case I don't know your legal system that well and I will no longer comment with any legal basis (although if there isn't statute against threatening with a weapon [admittedly with diminished responsibility] then I would be surprised)

edit - fudged up the quotes

You guys are seriously lucky that you didn't shoot the guy.

You would've been typing from jail.

I'm not lucky. I WASNT GOING TO KILL HIM BECUASE HE TOOK MY FRIENDS CHAIN. I wasnt going to fire the gun UNLESS the other kid seriously stabbed my friend or me.

sig2di2.png

99 Magic achieved in December 2004.

99 Cooking achieved in Novemeber 2003.

743rd to achieve 80 Dungeoneering.

Won over 5.5 Bill staking in partyhats and cash.

RSC product account created in 2002.

I'm not lucky. I WASNT GOING TO KILL HIM BECUASE HE TOOK MY FRIENDS CHAIN. I wasnt going to fire the gun UNLESS the other kid seriously stabbed my friend or me.

you say that now, but with your adrenalin goin, you cant know for sure what you would of done

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

1980 Berlinetta with a 350, bored, mild cam, intake carb, headers, exhaust

[guns] are NOT something you point at anyone unless you intend to shoot them - period.

:lol:

No.

*confused* explain?

Seems pretty self-explanatory. Police, for example, they point their guns at dangerous suspects, doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna blast their heads off. :roll:

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

4) In that case I don't know your legal system that well and I will no longer comment with any legal basis (although if there isn't statute against threatening with a weapon [admittedly with diminished responsibility] then I would be surprised)

Diminished responsibility is only applicable to murder charges here, over in the USA they do not have it, they have first and second degree murder. Since he did not shoot, or kill anyone it would fall under self protection i assume. I reckon he'd probably get away with it if he was taken to court by the person. Details in a case like this would make all the difference though, and the fact it was his party that approached the person in the first place may mean he could be screwed. I reckon its unlikely this would ever get to court.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Diminished responsibility is only applicable to murder charges here, over in the USA they do not have it, they have first and second degree murder. Since he did not shoot, or kill anyone it would fall under self protection i assume. I reckon he'd probably get away with it if he was taken to court by the person. Details in a case like this would make all the difference though, and the fact it was his party that approached the person in the first place may mean he could be screwed. I reckon its unlikely this would ever get to court.

I meant diminished responsibility in a more moral sense there, sorry for any confusion - as I said I didn't want to comment in any legal capacity but it was silly to use a term that could be construed in a legal way - my bad.

@langzor - you misunderstand me - I mean you shouldn't point a gun at someone unless you are prepared to shoot - not necessarily going to shoot. Re-reading it I wasn't clear (which is why I shouldn't post at 2 AM lol) and I mean to say you should never point a weapon at someone if you don't think you could ever use it with a good reason.

I wasnt going to shoot to kill, i was going to shoot to stop him. And i didn't, and i'm glad i didn't and i'm glad it ended. I don't want to go through that again.

Chain = neckalace.

you do realize, even though you didnt do anything, that guy can press charges, chances are he wouldt get away with it cause he pulled a weapon too. but even though you didnt shoot you can get in alot of trouble

True. But SuperMike's friend could press charges against the other guy cus he stole his "chain." And i bet a bunch of teens(im guessing thats how old you guys are) wouldn't do that.

you say that now, but with your adrenalin goin, you cant know for sure what you would of done

I've got a question:

When you pointed the gun at the guy, was a a 'powerful' feeling, or were you more just pumped on adrenaline?

When did he ever mention adrenaline? :roll: He reached for the gun because he thought the chain theif was reaching for a weapon. In that situation a gunshot would have spun the situation out of control into an issue it didn't need to be; the fear of the gunshot is what stopped the confrontation.

Very responsible actions and very well handled. =D> I can't say I've been in the same sort of situation, and I hope I never am.

Hevendor_Guy.png

rsdeadzm5.png

There's cake through here, apparently.

I never would have thought that i'd be in a situation were i am actually willing to shoot someone.

That's why you hang around dudes who carry guns right? Genius

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

there's all kinds of possible outcomes from a situation like that. most of them are unpleasant. consider this, there are all kinds of charges that can be filed when someone kills or assaults someone. you cant expect the cops or the judge to believe your side of the story or consider your version of the circumstances. as well as that there are other participants that could testify against you or cut a deal, making you out to be the aggressor etc. all participants at the shooting could be charged with the same crime. you may find that the public defender or your lawyer has other cases and cutting a deal with the district attorney may be what they want to do so you get screwed.

there's a reason so many young people end up dead or incarcerated. something like the main number of people in prison commited their crime between the ages of 18-25. so if you can make it that long your chances of comitting murder or being murdered are greatly reduced. anyway i hope this was a wake-up call for you. you dont want to end up spending years behind bars because of the people you chose to associate with.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

Things that worry me

1) the only reason you didnt want to "jump" this kid is the fact the police might come, rather than any moral reason

2) people are willing to threaten/stab/shoot each other over jewellery, seriously WTF.

3) you "rushed" along with a gun - those thing are dangerous (duh) and are NOT something you point at anyone unless you intend to shoot them - period.

If this was in the UK, you'd be in prison for a long long time boy - hopefully its the same in the US.

This entire situation sickens me.

He specified that his friend wanted to start something, not himself.

Self defence excuse doesn't work, it needs to be equal or lower force and a gun is considered legally higher than a knife, you had no leg to stand on (depending on the country).

I don't know who's more pathetic, the chain snatcher or the tool who keeps a hand gun in his glove department as security while going to mc donalds :roll:

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I used to work with a guy that was driving along once and got in an altercation with a car full of gang bangers. The gang bangers pulled a pistol and this guy who is a Vietnam War Vet pulls out his 45 and starts blasting away. He shot their back window out as they floored it to get away from him. The cops came and nothing happened because it was self defense. Otherwise my business associate could very well have been dead.

The way I understood the law I thought if you feared for your life you could take action. Half these people saying how terrible that is are European or Australian. My guess is none of them have shot a gun either so the "scary mystique" scares the crud out of them. Guns are merely a tool. If you learn how to use them responsibly they are great.

Also, guns don't just "accidentally discharge." They only discharge if you pull the trigger with the safety off and a round in the chamber. Someone could accidentally pull the trigger but that is just them being stupid so don't blame the gun. Blame the moron using the gun.

My thoughts on the situation: I thought you handled yourself well. I might suggest finding new friends that would call the cops instead of beating the guy down in the first place. Aside from having stupid friends I think you acted well. Whoever kept saying "You shouldn't pull a gun unless you are willing to fire." He was ready to fire so please quit saying that. He should have been ready to fire. That is some crazy nut if he comes at a group of four guys with a butterfly knife. There's no telling what that guy might do. I would have been scared for my life and I would have pulled the gun as well since that was the only weapon at hand to protect me and my friends' lives.

Ambassadar.png

If i didn't do what i did what do you think would of happened?

Everyone involved could be sitting in jail cells, possibly with stab wounds.

Or maybe even killed.

sig2di2.png

99 Magic achieved in December 2004.

99 Cooking achieved in Novemeber 2003.

743rd to achieve 80 Dungeoneering.

Won over 5.5 Bill staking in partyhats and cash.

RSC product account created in 2002.

Aside from having stupid friends I think you acted well.

OP will probably ignore this post too but anyways

Wouldn't that make him stupid himself for getting involved with these stupid friends?

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.