Favourite standup comedians?

pryomancer

Man I'm kind of amazed some people actually said Larry the cable guy, he is one of the most annoying stand up acts I've ever heard.

Now, Bill Engvall and Ron white that have been on there are pretty funny (I like their stand alone standup acts) but Jeff foxworthy and Larry are cringeworthy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote this about Jeff Foxworthy a while ago, but I guess it applies to the whole group:

A few weeks ago somebody made me listen to a Jeff Foxworthy album, and when I listened to it, I felt intellectually insulted by the way he refused to call a penis a penis. He had two jokes about it, and in both cases he wouldn't even address it by its name, just call it a "yoohoo" or some stupid euphemism you'd use when talking about a penis to a five year old. Now I don't need him to use the various four letter slang words that are available as an alternative, but if you won't even use the word that adults use for it in everyday conversation, you don't take your audience seriously enough. It wasn't bad enough that he was promoting a culture that prides itself on ignorance and bigotry, but he had to do it in a way that made it seem like he thought we were a bunch of toddlers.
Short version: Refusal to address the audience as adults and glorifying a culture that prides itself on ignorance and bigotry.

I wrote this about Jeff Foxworthy a while ago, but I guess it applies to the whole group:
A few weeks ago somebody made me listen to a Jeff Foxworthy album' date=' and when I listened to it, I felt intellectually insulted by the way he refused to call a penis a penis. He had two jokes about it, and in both cases he wouldn't even address it by its name, just call it a "yoohoo" or some stupid euphemism you'd use when talking about a penis to a five year old. Now I don't need him to use the various four letter slang words that are available as an alternative, but if you won't even use the word that adults use for it in everyday conversation, you don't take your audience seriously enough. It wasn't bad enough that he was promoting a culture that prides itself on ignorance and bigotry, but he had to do it in a way that made it seem like he thought we were a bunch of toddlers.[/quote']Short version: Refusal to address the audience as adults and glorifying a culture that prides itself on ignorance and bigotry.

That's because it's a family audience.

He's only joking like most other comedians.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Penis isn't an offensive word, it's an anatomical term. I don't see why he would have to call it a "yoohoo" to any audience.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Eddie Izzard.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Penis isn't an offensive word, it's an anatomical term. I don't see why he would have to call it a "yoohoo" to any audience.

Because in stand up comedy to a family audience, penis isn't funny. Most comedians use alternate names for things like that to add a different flare to their comedy. It's all opinion though.

Anyway, my favorite comedians:

Brian Regan

Dane Cook

Christ Titus

Jeff Dunham

Jim Gaffigan

Bill Hicks, George Carlin. Thier grasp of comedy and using it as a medium for social criticism is something that just appeals to me.

I'd also add Carl Barron, I've always loved his dry wit and he just looks like a comedian. He's the type of guy who you always expect to be funny but he never tries to be. Other comedians who try to be funny in general conversation between jokes or in interviews are just painful to watch.

Arj Barker would have to be another favourite.

Bill Hicks, George Carlin. Thier grasp of comedy and using it as a medium for social criticism is something that just appeals to me.

I'd also add Carl Barron, I've always loved his dry wit and he just looks like a comedian. He's the type of guy who you always expect to be funny but he never tries to be. Other comedians who try to be funny in general conversation between jokes or in interviews are just painful to watch.

Arj Barker would have to be another favourite.

Ahh, I have to agree with you there. One of the (in my opinion) few good Aussie comedians.

Cool.

Arj Barker, Billy Connoly and Carl Barron (in no particular order) are my favourites.

On Thank Goid You're Here! (not really stand-up but I'll put it in), noone can beat Hamish Blake, Josh Lawson and Matthew Newton.

38% of Tip.Iters put stupid made up statistics in their sigs. If you are one of the 62% that don't, put this in your sig.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Bailey is my all-time number one, after that:

Dylan Moran

Chris Rock

Eddie Izzard

Paul Merton is my favourite comedian, but he doesn't really perform well in stand-up, compared to the other guys on my list

Back by popular demand!

And I guess I just wanted to tell you, as the light starts to fade, that you aree the reason, that I am not afraid, and I guess I just wanted to mention, as the heavens will fall, that we will be together soon if we will be anything at all.

As most everyone's said, Dane Cook. And, like Nadril, I'm a fan of Jeff Dunham. Is a ventriloquist technically standup, though? Ah well, he's amazing anyways.

I think it is. I mean.. he is standing up for most of it. :lol:

I kill you!

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

Bill Bailey is my all time favourite. Man's a genius.

"I got ham but I'm not a hamster"

No? Well... never mind then.

My least favourite would have to be Jimmy Carr. I just don't find him funny at all... and he looks like a ventriloquist's dummy.

Along the coast road, by the headland

The early lights of winter glow.

Ill pour a cup to you my darling.

Raise it up --- say cheerio.

Favourite

-Dave Chapelle (PLEASE COME BACK!)

-Russell Peters

-Richard Pryor (R.I.P)

-Josh Blue

-Trevor Boris

-Steve Harvey

-Rodney Dangerfield (I don't get no respect!; I got a lot of f***ing jokes, all riiiiiight!)

Least Favourite

-Nikki Payne (she just scares me...honestly...)

-Dane Cook (he's ok, but I dislike most of his material)

-Neil Hamburger (the definition of unfunny)

-Tom Green (I know he doesn't do stand-up, but he's just lost it over the years)

I have more, but I can't remember their names lol.

FMAsig.jpg

[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

My main problem with Carlin is that pretty much everything he wrote and produced since 1995 seems to be rehashes of old material... He's great and all, but he's done very little that's really relevant in the past ten years or so.

Bill Hicks/George Carlin (the kings of political satire)

Russell Brand (not to everyone's taste, but I love his style, and his improvisation can be very good)

Dara ÃÆÃââââ¬Ãâ Briain (never seen him do standup until a few weeks ago when I taped one of his live gigs, he was fantastic)

Ricky Gervais

Peter Kay (reuses a lot of old jokes, and mostly about trivial things in life, but he's brilliant at observational comedy, can be painfully funny)

Russell Howard

Jon Richardson

Chris Rock

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

My main problem with Carlin is that pretty much everything he wrote and produced since 1995 seems to be rehashes of old material... He's great and all, but he's done very little that's really relevant in the past ten years or so.

well when you've been around since the 50's with like 10+ HBO specials it'd be kinda hard to think of completely new material. i feel like "You're All Diseased" was fairly new even tho it was in 1999. Complaints and Grievances kind of carried on where that left off and had similar things to talk about. his newest one was by far his worst...but he's pretty old too heh.

and when you think about it...i don't know any comedians who have COMPLETELY new material on each set that they do...especially those dam blue collar comedy people. Ron white's bits were the same in "Blue collar comedy tour", his own special, AND "blue collar comedy tour II" (w/e the title is). same thing with Foxworthy and the Cable guy. Bill's wasn't a copy of the same thing so i'll leave him alone lol.

Eddy Murphy...Delirious and Raw shared many characteristics.

the lists go on and on...but to have that many specials over these many years...he definitely deserves the most talented Stand up Comedian of all time award =D>

Pryor i consider to be the Hendrix...not necessarily the greatest, but he was the innovator and opener to a new form of material.

why cant i remember this guys name now... all i know is when i saw his hour long special, i couldnt stop laughing.

grrr umm

the guy who uses the flip book. You knowww. his favorite fruit is grape because each one is like a new opportunity.

Edit: demitri martin! lol it just hit me

Why does finger puppet sound alright as a noun?

Look its rob!