my essay: Why being a moderator is no big deal

ixfd64

This essay is an expression of my personal opinion. It does not necessarily reflect those of other forum members. Please note that this essay is not intended to criticize player moderators. They do a great service to the community and we should all appreciate their efforts.

----

Why being a moderator is no big deal

As written by a former player moderator

RuneScape players often think of Jagex moderators as powerful authority figures. These seemingly mysterious characters are usually seen as nigh-omnipotent entities that could change stats and items as they please. The gold crowns next to their names are often viewed as symbols of power. However, these characters are merely paid employees of Jagex Software, who only use their powers for administrative issues. They do not play the game on these characters, as that would be completely unfair!

Player moderators, however, are a different story. Adorned with silver crowns, player moderators are far more common than their gold-crowned counterparts. However, contrary to what many believe, player moderators have very few powers. While Jagex moderators have special in-game abilities and full control over bans and mutes, player moderators are limited to handing out temporary mutes.

Jagex first tested the idea of player moderators in 2001. A few well-known players, including Lightning and Bluerose13x, were among those selected. Those first-generation moderators had a few more powers than today's moderators, such as being able to temporarily boot a player off the game. However, Jagex decided that player moderators were not needed at the time, so they were removed from the game.

However, RuneScape has grown rapidly over the years. Jagex was no longer able to patrol the game effectively. Outside help was needed. In September 2002, Jagex added the "report abuse" feature, which made it much easier for Jagex to crack down on troublemakers. Unfortunately, this was not enough to stop urgent problems, such as players advertising scam sites in crowded areas. It was eventually decided that player moderators were needed.

Jagex formally announced the existence of player moderators in June 2004. Indeed, the decision to implement player moderators has not been without controversy. Some feared this would result in players getting punished for the smallest mistake. Others were concerned that this could lead to power abuse. ("Give me that dragon sword or I'll mute you!") However, player moderators are required to adhere to strict guidelines. Jagex staff carefully checks every action taken by a player moderator, so those who abuse their powers are quickly removed. Despite the concerns, the overall reception of player moderators appears to be positive. (While forum moderators have existed since 2003, player moderators were not implemented until much later. In order to prevent players from having too much power, Jagex later added a rule such that a player could not be both a game and a forum moderator, but player moderators who became forum moderators (or vice versa) before this restriction were grandfathered.)

Being a player moderator has its merits and disadvantages. Some think that the position of a player moderator is an honorable privilege among the community. Indeed, player moderators are often trusted and respected more than normal players. They are also less likely to be targeted directly by scammers. (After all, who is dumb enough to try the "trust game" on a moderator?) A few others see it as a thankless "job" that warrants nothing but abuse. There are players who despise player moderators for whatever reason, and they will often try to make things difficult for moderators. In addition, moderator accounts are attractive targets for malicious players that try to steal accounts. Finally, new players who see a rule being broken would often try to ask the nearest moderator for help instead of using the "report abuse" button. Thus, player moderators often become inundated with such requests. In reality, player moderators are nothing more than regular players who have a few extra technical tools. They play the game as normal players, and contrary to popular belief, they are not required to hunt for rule violations. In fact, on websites like Wikipedia and GameFAQs, users with administrative powers are often referred to as "janitors" rather than "police officers."

Due to the word "moderator" being associated with online authority, inexperienced players often see player moderators as authority figures, just like Jagex staff. This is not true. While player moderators have a few extra tools, they get no other benefits. They do not get free membership, nor are they above the rules. During my three years as a player moderator, I have never thought of myself as "above" other players. Since moderators are supposed to be "ambassadors" to the game, I've always told other players that I was a "normal" player just like them. Even though I was not required to investigate rule breakers, I often did so anyway. I wanted to help make RuneScape better, and over time, I've made many friends this way.

Unfortunately, my role as a player moderator came to an end in October 2007. Someone had accessed a stolen account on my computer and later dueled me with it. Believing that I was the person who stole the account, Jagex banned me and removed my moderator access. I was disappointed at first, but I soon remembered that being a moderator all that of a "special" thing. The ban was supposed to be permanent, but fortunately, a Jagex staff member realized that I was innocent and unbanned me. However, I did not get my moderator access back. I continued to play the game as normal. I immediately noticed that I was no longer bothered by players that always ask moderators for help. In a sense, I was free. I could finally spend more time training my skills instead of checking on that stupid password scammer in Varrock. So, I asked myself, "What do you want to do today?"

----

Final note: Since I am no longer a player moderator, I am no longer bound by Jagex's moderator guidelines. However, note that I will not leak any confidential information related to player moderators, since I would be betraying my fellow moderators if I did this. Plus, I don't want to lose the chance of becoming a moderator again. (Jagex did say that I was "very unlikely" to regain my player moderator status. True, "very unlikely" does not mean "never," but I guess I am being overly optimistic, since it just seems to be a nice way of saying "you'll never be a mod again.") Like I said, being a moderator is not a big deal, but I wouldn't mind being one again. :)

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I totally agree with everything you wrote and it soudns like we have much in common. I was also a former player moderator that acted in the same sort of way. During a small break from runescape I was somehow hacked and I lost my p-mod status and eventually got my account back. Great post. O and btw its not that big a deal leaking information lol.. most people know the "secret" stuff already.. considering there was well over 5k mods before i got hacked.

Donate to S_U__O__M_I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i totally agree with u and that is why i dont want to be a pmod even if jagex asked me if i wanted to become one. it is exactly being in a cage. i know very well that pmods r like normal players with a little more responsiblities but in varrock i see players especially newbies asking for help from pmods and i notice that pmods get more attention and r added more often. i think to myself that these r just normal players but they r different than normal players.

Great essay. Very well thought out and organized. But even though they have few extra privileges, tons of people want to be one. They feel that they will be respected more, and they like the silver crown just like the blue party hat doesnt make a big difference, but its a "symbol of respect" or w/e.

Subzero-x3.gif

lulz wut?

I still think it'd be pretty cool to be a p-mod, at least for awhile.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Nicely written. Being a player moderator on a game isn't all it's hyped up to be. Some people may like being able to take action when necessary, but why are we even on RuneScape? ...to play the game. Being a player moderator does seem to take away from that a bit, because you are burdened with questions, private messages, pleas for advice, etc. You are rarely left alone to play in peace unless you "hide" your status by refraining from speaking.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Nice read. I remember one of my friends became a mod. They really don't have that much power over regular players, yet some still think they do. Muting is about it, and only for the really bad situations.

when i used to play the only reason i wanted to be a player moderator was so people in world 2 falador could see my sell/buy message much easier than those of other players, since my message would have appeared in their chatbox.

Just out of curiosity, what score did you get on this report?

It was just something I wrote in my free time. It wasn't for a class or anything.

Great essay! I just have a question: are there f2p mods?

Yes, there are F2P mods. Forsakenmage is one of them.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Great essay! I just have a question: are there f2p mods?

Yes, there are F2P mods. Forsakenmage is one of them.

:P And still am one hehe. Don't think I'll be getting members even though prices will be going up soon.

Great read, Ixfd. It definitely outlines what player moderators really are compared to Jagex moderators. Hopefully the newer players that read this understand finally.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your account. :( See you around in game I hope! *Hugs!*

I'd find it hard to choose if I ever got asked the position because accepting the responsibility means you're confined to what you can and cannot say. If you're joking about something, you'd have to be extremely careful about what you're saying, as others might take it as offensive, when you're not intending it to be that way.

Also, with power comes responsibility (quote from spiderman I think? :P ) and there would be many players i'm sure, that would love to try and get a player mod to say something bad in order for them to report you. Not only that but once someone sees someone with a crown, people love to ask them questions till the cows come home (not all the time, but I see it a lot). Which is fine and all if you're a nice person and willing to help everyone, but I can see how it would get tiresome after a while.

I myself have had a few friends that got assigned the player mod role, and I could see they were still themselves, but they didn't joke much anymore, and I thought it was quite sad to see them fairly restricted with what they say :cry: nevertheless it would be helpful to mute players that use vulgar language and such, and i'm sure it would bring great delight in keeping RS a safe and more enjoyable environment to play in :twss:

2vuhgcn.png

Very nice read.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Nice read. I've never understood the general ambition to become a mod, quite frankly.

I'd definitely refuse the status myself. Everybody seems to think a mod has to be friendly and help everyone out. Well, it's not my job to help new players or to hand out punishments for misbehaviour. I chat only when I please, I help people only when I please and I report abuse only when I feel like it. And as it is, I'm getting enough attention in the game without the added burden of a crown. I pay to play, not to keep a bunch of unruly kids from harm.

Well, let's say I definitely don't have the kind of attitude that will put me in danger of being invited for it :-).

I agree with everything you said. :thumbup:

Quite a few times during the ~3 years of my pmodship I wished I wasn't a mod, just because of so much undesired attention the crown brought.

I never regret agreeing to accept the role though - it's a good opportunity to help crack down on some of the scammers out there. Before the trade update, if I was bored and wanted something else to do, I knew I could head to Lumbridge and find some auto-talkers advertising scam sites.

The thing I enjoyed most about being a pmod ended over 2 years ago. Autoers used to be programmed to logout whenever a pmod spoke, which was very funny to watch, especially where there were dozens of them at the same place. Sometimes I'd world hop with a friend and just stand behind Varrock castle, where the 3 yews are, and watch 40+ clones logout at the same time. :D

160vy.png

Very good essay, delineating the differences between player-mods and Jagex-mods. I almost wish everyone had to read this at some point in RuneScape... It would help with a lot of questions.

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

Very good read, i agree with you 100%.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Good points, i also heard that Player mods have to go for random drugs tests to make sure their performance isnt down to red bull omgs naughty mods over the caffiene limit :shame:

Personally i dont trust player mods more than regular players, this is when the trade cap wasnt around, i knew a player mod i have close friends in this game who i skill with alot and the player mod who i knew said im a player mod, i think trust isnt bought or shown by a crown moderators to me are just regular players with greater responsibility, i know a few mods some of them are fantastic players, and jagex do make sure the player is nice in advance but i've know some that have slipped through the net, who cuss constantly in Irc and Msn, yet are quiet as a mouse in RS.

But yes its no big deal i have a few too many black marks which i feel were obtained unfairly but i do believe that bad deeds shouldnt go unpunished so if jagex feels i was against their conduct then fair enough i dont believe i was though, but there is alot of children in this game wanting a cool crown when you need to be ready to take the responsiblity to do such things, there are alot of players who report for no reason which wastes jagex's time through their ignorace.

I'm a recreational gamer, the marks i've picked up have been through joking which have been seen from the wrong perspective by other players who don't know me, if i see a moderator i dont automatically respect them its earned.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

You should have submitted this to Tip.it Times :thumbup:

All in all I enjoyed reading it. I've always investigated Player Mods to figure out what exactly goes on behind the crown. In all of my research I think this was one of the best responses ever.

Good work mate.

but i've know some that have slipped through the net, who cuss constantly in Irc and Msn, yet are quiet as a mouse in RS.

This can also be applied in the opposite scenario. I've been playing for 6 years with 0 Blackmarks. Doesn't that count from something? :P

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m