Today...

Leoo

No, instead you'll get lung cancer.

Honestly, from what I've seen, people who have problems with alcohol almost always have some other problem that accentuates it. It's entirely possible to enjoy alcohol in moderation with no negative consequences. That said, that does depend on the individual. If you feel your life is better without alcohol, that's your choice and at least you're making it with good intentions. Hopefully it helps.

I have depression and bipolarity, so that's an accentuating problem right there.

EDIT: Its more like the once every other month, smoke one cigar, kind of smoking. Not chain smoking.

Right there with the alcohol tasking like shit thing. I can't drink beer at all (unless I want to be so sick I need to be hospitalized of bedridden for a week), which is cool cause it tastes like ass anyway. I only like vodka, mostly because you can disguise the taste (orange juice is the best for it, but there are a lot of juices you can use if you don't make it to strong).

Wine was where I started though (at the underage table at a wedding :thumbsup: ). I maintain the stuff is firewater, but it slows you down, which is good because you don't normally want to get shitfaced in the same situations where you might be having wine.

And I can understand the whole history thing. I am lucky with my drinking genes. All of us are able to have a drink, forget about it the next day and not thing about it for weeks (well, I get reminded because I'm a student, but there isn't any urge). Not everyone can do that, and that's cool.

On the whole taste thing though, I feel the same about coffee. I'm not going to drink it, I'm pretty sure I'd puke (not a fan of the smell either) if I tried more than a sip. Caffiene has roughly the same effect on me as the hops in beer anyway, so its not even an option (its awesome when you hate the things that make you sick).

Maybe tomorrow I will do something.

And here is the best quote I have ever seen on alcoholism, from a recovered alcoholic. It seems to jive nicely with my own personal observations (our family has a few, just not of direct genetic relation to me).

It turns out that drinking doesn't make a person an alcoholic. The part of a person's brain that makes him drink to excess is what makes him an alcoholic, and the mechanism for the addiction is still there. This is why people in 12-step programs say that you'll always be an alcoholic, even if you're not drinking. Alcohol isn't the disease; it's a symptom. Or rather, it's an attempt to self-medicate the disease.

It's hard for people to understand why I can't just downgrade from "alcoholic" to "moderate drinker." There are plenty of people out there who can drink in moderation. They can down a couple with their friends, shit on the hood of a cop car, go to sleep and forget all about booze the next day. I'm not one of them. Neither was my dad, who died at age 49 from this shit.

I think I'll find a better way to teach my kids the same lesson.

Read more: 5 Things Nobody Tells You About Quitting Drinking | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_18824_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-quitting-drinking.html

Honestly, from what I've seen, people who have problems with alcohol almost always have some other problem that accentuates it. It's entirely possible to enjoy alcohol in moderation with no negative consequences. That said, that does depend on the individual. If you feel your life is better without alcohol, that's your choice and at least you're making it with good intentions. Hopefully it helps.

I have depression and bipolarity, so that's an accentuating problem right there.

EDIT: Its more like the once every other month, smoke one cigar, kind of smoking. Not chain smoking.

Ah, now see that's something I didn't know. With problems like that, alcohol may not be the best place to turn. Drinking and depression should never really go together. The alcohol will probably end up making you feel happy, then when you sober up you'll end up feeling depressed again. At that point you remember how happy you were while drunk and then a vicious cycle starts up.

The only real problem I have is Tourette's Syndrom, and alcohol is actually one of the very few things out there that helps make the tics less severe/frequent. When I'm drunk you'd hardly even know that anything is wrong with me. Same goes for weed. When I'm high you wouldn't even guess that I have a tic disorder.

As for tobacco, nicotine is another thing that can help with tics. I've been dipping for three years now and I feel it's safe to say I'm addicted lol. I have noticed that when I have some dip in and I start to feel that buzz from the nicotine, my tics do happen less frequently. Not a whole lot, probably 20-30% less often than usuall, but it's better than nothing.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

I don't have a problem with people drinking casually, but getting drunk is a different story completely.

Then please understand TIF isn't a drunkard's forum.

It's not?

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

But right there that proves you have the temperament to do something somewhat addictive in moderation.

Like Randox pointed out: that's not everyone. But it is some people.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

But right there that proves you have the temperament to do something somewhat addictive in moderation.

Like Randox pointed out: that's not everyone. But it is some people.

Exactly, its not the alcohol; its the genetics.

That's why I need to never drink. If I like something, I can never do it in moderation.

This. I have a very addictive personality, and find doing things I enjoy in moderation hard.

I don't have a problem with people drinking casually, but getting drunk is a different story completely.

Then please understand TIF isn't a drunkard's forum.

It's not?

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Well cheers then,

cheers_mate_gif_RE_20k_points_Congrats_Dannyl-s450x266-97472.gif

tFtfA.jpg

I have met quite afew people who seem to anti-alcohol, and I guess I was afew years ago. Many people seem to think that they'll do something extremely foolish, and it will ruin their lives.

Having never met someone that this has occured to in the 5-6 years I've been drinking I'd say it's rather unlikely. Firstly, your first few times you won't have the alcohol tolerance to get to the 'I don't know what I'm doing' stage. You'll either be in a good tipsy mood or a spewing in the toilet mood - I've never met a first time drinker who could walk, let alone make it to anywhere to make a fool of themselves, if they overshoot their tolerance. Secondly, I'd suggest doing it, atleast the first few times, with good friends and people you can trust. Yes people who don't often drink are more likely to get into situations where the can be taken advantage of, but once you know your limits it's alot of fun :)

It seems to me that non-drinkers assume that alcohol is extremely addictive and will influence the other aspects of your life, and that drinking in moderation is not possible - people on drink to get maggot (drunk).

I can personally vouch that this is not true, as I'm sure many other can. My personal situation is that I'm in the 4th year of my Masters Degree, miantaining a solid A grade average, drink most weekends (when my Uni-work allows me too), have an awesome time, then go back to Uni on Monday with some good stories to tell my Lab. It hasn't negatively effected my life in any way. In-fact I met my Girlfriend of 2 years one night on the piss and she's great :)

I suppose it's a little like RS in the way that it's great in moderation, but is bad if you drink too much/too often.

And typing that made me want to go get drunk, been a month since I last did due to exams :(

[bleep] biology man, making me want another cigarette. I wish I knew how to study, it would make this shit so much easier on me.

Technically I can have one and not be breaking from my self imposed rule of one a day, since it is after midnight. However I did have one yesterday (aka a few hours ago) and I was trying not to smoke on weekends, but I didn't have one on Friday, so I figured it would be ok. I just have to make my pack last until November first, which means that I'm perfectly on track if I stick to one a day only on weekdays. Next time I'm not buying Turkish Royals though, totally not worth $9 a pack. I don't know, maybe I just won't buy another pack. I only made it like 2 weeks after saying that last time though, even though I have cut way back.

The disclaimer to this post is that smoking is [bleep]ing stupid and if you don't smoke now, don't start. It kills people.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

And typing that made me want to go get drunk, been a month since I last did due to exams :(

I havent even been drunk yet...

My problem is finding an environment TO get drunk, no one has house parties anymore and in Newcastle its not to wise to get drunk for a first timer because you've no idea how you'll react AND it's a bit of a crime city when it comes to drunken fights and knifes.

Popoto.~<3

I'm in the engineering building doing some homework cause my roommate is watching a movie in the room with this chick who is visiting.

I'm probably one of the few people doing homework tonight, since we don't have school tomorrow. D:

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Well, shit, two days off. What do? Starcraft and Magic Children's Card Games?

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Well, shit, two days off. What do? Starcraft and Magic Children's Card Games?

Play Dark Souls.

So today my brother came back into town again. He gave me a little ziplock baggy filled about 1/4th of the way with some chew. Actual chew, not dip (dip comes in a can, chew comes in a pouch. Dip you just put in between your lip and gums, chew you actually have to chew on for a bit). I've never had it before but he said it was pretty good and wanted me to try it. I'm about to try it out, hope it's as good as he says.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

My problem is finding an environment TO get drunk, no one has house parties anymore and in Newcastle its not to wise to get drunk for a first timer because you've no idea how you'll react AND it's a bit of a crime city when it comes to drunken fights and knifes.

Ring up a few mates and just invite them round of a drink. As long as you don't go silly with the amount you drink, then your first time being drunk/tipsy will be fine.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Ring up a few mates and just invite them round of a drink. As long as you don't go silly with the amount you drink, then your first time being drunk/tipsy will be fine.

Niece. Cant because sister will abuse everyone and ruin the night.

Popoto.~<3

Niece. Cant because sister will abuse everyone and ruin the night.

I agree with Ouchy, that's definitely the best way to do it. Drinking with the boys at home I find alot more fun than at a party, or at the pub.

You could try and arrange it at another mates place, same principle will apply. Still just as much fun.