Today...

Leoo

Mmmmm.... Menthol. My favorite flavor. 

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

So for this project I'm trying to begin, I need access to a Linux distro with graphics hardware acceleration. Since bhyve's PCI pass through currently doesn't work for GPUs, I needed to find a Linux distro that doesn't suck*, which is harder in recent times. I came across Void Linux (which was created by a former NetBSD maintainer, so it got some points from the start).

It seems pretty okay. Set it up easily with full disk encryption and XFCE. Imported my general desktop settings from my FreeBSD install (which also uses XFCE). Uses a traditional-but-custom init system and custom package manager, which seem to work fine.

The login manager (LXDM) doesn't seem to work with Nvidia propriety drivers, but that's just a minor issue in my opinion. Can't use AMD drivers because it uses Xorg 1.18 and AMD doesn't support that version, so can't use my new graphics card, oh well.

I had to update my password manager utility to support Linux, since I won't be running Linux in a virtual machine. I think getpass is deprecated but I don't feel like writing FFI wrappers for terminal handling.

*: has to actually be "Unix-like" (e.g., mustn't use systemd) and not an "open-source Microsoft-like" (e.g., Ubuntu).

ozXHe7P.png

There's an omission in new Jersey state gubernatorial financing statute 19:44a in the regulations published by ELEC subchapter 16.29 where municipal and county political action committees whether they be joint candidate committees, or single candidate committees are unburdened by the expenditure limits pursuant to 19:25-15.28B which states the aggregate expenditure limit of a political action committee, an issue advocacy group, llc, partnership, single candidate committee or joint candidate committee is to be no more than $10,000 .

This contradicts the compliance law for general election expenditure limits and contribution limits for qualified participating candidates as I pointed out to my supervising director. We then discussed the possible reasons why such a thing was omitted and came up with nothing but theories.

But mostly I'm sharing this because I wanted to sound as smart as veiva

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I rediscovered how fun shopping was. Damn you consumerism. 

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

So I had a fun exercise in a combination of bizarre behavior last night.

I had done a small write up on a certain game's texture usage, and was interested in seeing how items themselves are rendered into inventory icons. In the write-up, I used a custom tool on Windows, but I need a full dump of the OpenGL calls to locate the item rendering portion.

At first I tried on FreeBSD. I compiled a 32-bit CentOS 6 build of apitrace in a Docker container (that was fun /s) since FreeBSD's Linuxulator uses a 32-bit CentOS 6 install by default. But when I ran RuneScape with apitrace loaded, apitrace would crash on signal 11 (seg fault).

I figured it was some bizarre bug in my setup, so I tried it on my Void Linux install. Same problem.

So I thought. On FreeBSD, apitrace worked on the simple Linux applications I tried. On Void Linux, it worked fine on everything other than RuneScape. The only difference I could immediately see was Java (RuneScape) vs not-Java (everything else). Since I didn't have any Java applications using OpenGL to try (i.e., I didn't know of any), I was a bit flustered.

But I got to thinking: Java has a simple 'optimization' where it skips evaluating 'if (foo != null) { foo.baz(); }' segments until they segfault, at which point it gracefully handles the signal and updates the code to respect the null checks. apitrace, as it turns out, just registers a simple signal handler and has basic error handling in the signal handler, which seems to stop the trace for some reason. So I just removed the apitrace signal handler code and...

What do you know, it works.

ozXHe7P.png

I'm not actually sure what you accomplished exactly but its neat that you solved the issue

apitrace doesn't stop tracking calls to the OpenGL API. It would stop whenever there was a segmentation fault within the Java VM because of its naive signal handling. Now I can see the OpenGL calls RuneScape makes to draw inventory icons.

ozXHe7P.png

I regret putting off physics until now. I haven't done calculus in 3 years at least and completely forgot how to do integrals, or at least the fine details of them like with e or 1/ln. 

Anyways I hope the curve carries me through this physics class, its my last one ever if I pass it!

Just general mechanics, E&M, or modern? You shouldn't have to do a lot of integration in mechanics, and there won't be a whole lot of complex integration (trig, etc.) You will run into more of that kind of stuff in E&M if I recall correctly.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

Bought the new Destiny expansion yesterday, along with the Bloodborne DLC cause i had some money left over. I wanted to make sure the Bloodborne DLC worked because i wasn't sure it would due to region-locks and such. Only really planned on playing Bloodborne again in a week or two but i needed to make sure it worked in case i wanted to get a refund. I only had a little bit to do before i could actually access the DLC so my plan was just to do that. It's been over 24 hours and i'm still playing. Haven't slept yet... I'm hooked :\

I need a job...

I regret putting off physics until now. I haven't done calculus in 3 years at least and completely forgot how to do integrals, or at least the fine details of them like with e or 1/ln. 

Anyways I hope the curve carries me through this physics class, its my last one ever if I pass it!

Just general mechanics, E&M, or modern? You shouldn't have to do a lot of integration in mechanics, and there won't be a whole lot of complex integration (trig, etc.) You will run into more of that kind of stuff in E&M if I recall correctly.

Yeah often physics' idea of an integral is spherical symmetry and dropping out 4pi :P.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

A couple days ago I accidentally brought my elbow down on the drinking glass next to my chair. Looked down, and noticed a nice piece of glass sticking out of my arm just above the elbow. Apparently my arm broke a section of the glass off into 3 pieces, all of them triangles. The ones on either side are pointed down, while the one in the center formed a nice little dagger pointing up. All things considered, it looks like I got pretty lucky. Looks like one of the other pieces helped lever my arm away from the glass (and a deeper wound), which I thought was a nice touch. Didn't notice the abrasion that left until later.

That's my fifth and sixth stitches I can remember having, and no broken bones (yet). All things considered, not too bad :D

This is the littler bugger that did it. Looks like it went in around 1/2".

29n7ced.jpg

I bought a trackball mouse the other day off of amazon to try out since I have less desk space now. Just received it today and I can say it is really nice and there wasn't that much of a learning curve getting used to it. Also nice is that it is designed ergonomically so it just feels much nicer in my hand.

• Like 1

thats a solid blood stain

today at work i did virtually nothing for an hour as my supervisor had taken the day off to watch a chess tournament (he bought meet and greet tickets), crashed a seminar, and then proceeded to do nothing for another 5 hours. Then 30 minutes before leaving my director came in and actually gave us something to do, which we (my sector) could and probably should have been doing all day. Now I have all day tomorrow to restructure the error code/cure citations for rejection letters which I'm hoping can at the very least get me to lunch. gun emoji here.

A couple days ago I accidentally brought my elbow down on the drinking glass next to my chair. Looked down, and noticed a nice piece of glass sticking out of my arm just above the elbow. Apparently my arm broke a section of the glass off into 3 pieces, all of them triangles. The ones on either side are pointed down, while the one in the center formed a nice little dagger pointing up. All things considered, it looks like I got pretty lucky. Looks like one of the other pieces helped lever my arm away from the glass (and a deeper wound), which I thought was a nice touch. Didn't notice the abrasion that left until later.

That's my fifth and sixth stitches I can remember having, and no broken bones (yet). All things considered, not too bad :D

29n7ced.jpg

Ouch. Glad they got you fixed up and you're okay though.

Whats with all these glass-related accidents in OT?

Hmm well what should we expect, OTers eat glass don't they?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

29n7ced.jpg

Oh wow I'm glad you're ok

Currently standing in the filming of Real Friends's new music video. No organization whatsoever. Just film me so I can go home and brag about it already

• Like 1

Currently standing in the filming of Real Friends's new music video. No organization whatsoever. Just film me so I can go home and brag about it already

dare you to shout "runescape"

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

yall should do partner acrobatics.

source: http://imgur.com/a/PvNfH

WHOA it's been a while since you've popped in here, how's life man?

This has been a pretty good weekend so far. Yesterday I ended up going bowling with some coworkers and met up with some college friends after. I got to play Pokken for the first time there and it was really fun even if I had no clue what I'm doing. It's a shame the wii u was such a shitty console because some of the games seem really fun if I had the disposable income for them.

Also just got back from buying a new sound system. Everything sounded incredible in the shop and I'm super ready to not have to deal with terrible laptop speakers anymore haha. Now I just have to finish shopping for a new laptop. ;_;