Parents and runescape.

Albel

I get told to get off after being on my computer for a few hours yet they couldn't care less if i went on my 360 or watched tv -.- When i tell them it's no different to my brother spending all day watching tv i just get shouted at :wall:

81147627af7.jpg

Thanks Hatebringer for the awesome siggeh :)

rank2runemonkey.png

^ I got bored ;)

My blog is win <3

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad doesn't have a problem with it all because he knows I'm always surfing the web when I'm playing runescape as well and I often call him upstairs to show him something really cool I've found.

But my mother...oh man...God help the woman, but she doesn't get it at all. #-o Every moment I'm not out with friends or something something "constructive" is a wasted one and endlessly frustrates her :( But since I've gotten a job she really doesn't have much to complain about anymore, so it's all good :thumbsup:

sig1ju.jpg

honestly i disagree with your parents telling you what to do at 17

i had rules until i was about 15

nothing strict but i couldn't just do whatever i wanted

but after about 15 i was left to live my life as i chose

i've made mistakes

and continue to, and maybe i waste my life on games

but thats my choice to make

and honestly it builds character

i've learned for myself what is beneficial and what isn't

but then again i have a 185 IQ and enough common sense not to cabbage up my life too badly

your parents need to learn that you aren't a child and that you're capable of choosing what's best for you

living your life under someone's thumb breeds only failures

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

When i played RS solidly, my grades took a massive plunge. As soon as i stopped, they came back out on top.

I think RS should take the blame for lack of social life, lack of good grades, and just lack of personality in teenagers.

Lanthode.png

My parents didn't stop me from playing the game, as such, they just imposed some serious negative 'overtones' if I played during certain times, such as when I had long-term coursework 'I could be working on'. Yes, long term means 5 months... I think I can write 3000 words in 5 months, thank you -.- .

But anyway, I'm starting my first year of University this September, and I don't intend to stop playing just because I'm continuing further education. Obviously, I will prioritise accordingly but at the end of the day you shouldn't have to stop what you enjoy doing. I think my parents don't know of my intentions (in fact I believe they're hoping it will stop when I leave) but tbh it'll be none of their business come September ::' .

In response to some of those that complain about their parents: I may not agree with what mine say all the time, especially concerning video games, but I can totally understand their viewpoint. As a RS player, YOU can see the gains you're making, the friends you're meeting and so on. Most, if not all parents, can only see you... sat at a computer... nonstop... for however many hours. Of course they're then going to think you're 'wasting your time'. Plus, you know, parents expect you to be educating yourself 24/7 ::' .

I hate it when people bash Runescape before even playing it or played for like 10 minutes and immediately declare that it sucks because of its graphics. It grinds me to no end when people claim that Runescape sucks due to its graphics and it really makes me feel like punching em' square in the face. I'm ok if they say that they're not interested in Rs as they're playing another game but as long as they don't insult it (Mainly because of its graphics), I'm fine.

Unlike some other games such as MapleStory or Conquer Online, Runescape actually teaches real life skills and not how to have magician as your job or tap your keyboard vigorously to dance.

Back on topic, my parents used to blame Runescape for my troubles years ago, but that stopped and they've never really saw it as a problem anymore, I think that they've possibly accepted it.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

My dad doesn't have a problem with it all because he knows I'm always surfing the web when I'm playing runescape as well and I often call him upstairs to show him something really cool I've found.

But my mother...oh man...God help the woman, but she doesn't get it at all. #-o Every moment I'm not out with friends or something something "constructive" is a wasted one and endlessly frustrates her :( But since I've gotten a job she really doesn't have much to complain about anymore, so it's all good :thumbsup:

Oh God, I hate that phrase. What defines "constructive" anyway if RS isn't?

Admittedly, I can get away with the excuse that I'm Skyping my friends, and that's constructive in their books (possibly because they can hear me communicating). Even then, what we say to each other is rarely "constructive" anyway.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The truth is that Runescape is ultimately a waste of time. Or atleast playing it none stop is, as you could accomplish a lot more donig other things, and could probably enjoy yourself more too.

I play like a max of an hour a day, more than that and i just get bored and quit for like 5 days.

Plus i'd rather go out with my real friends and talk to them irl than via RS.

I have a gaming website and do a lot of video editing (and graphic design) so overall my parents feel that the time i spend on the PC is constructive and puts a lot towards my future. (I'm not an amateur video editor btw, i've spent well over £800 on it).

I don't know what my parents wouldn't have thought.

Too late asking 'em now, though. :(

Eejits.png

"Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better."

My parents think it's a waste of time, but they know that I wouldn't do it if they hadn't ask me to babysit my siblings ~3 hrs a day for almost a year straight, so they don't really say anything

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

I don't think any of you started playing the game to learn things, it's just something you try at rationalize it with. That being said, I support parents who don't want their children to play too many video games.

Its been intresting to read all of this, and see what you think is right and wrong, and how it should be delt with.

Ive tried to convince my parents to at least let me play a little, but its not going to happen. They are dead set on making sure i dont play at all...Just need to make sure i get my own computer ASAP :lol:

There is nothing eles i can do... ill just try to play as much as I can...

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

They don't really mind, personally the only reason I quit was because RS got boring.

This is what ive wanted to do. I dont mind leaving runescape, but i want to leave by my self. I dont want my parnets making me leave. Im 17, i should be able to make this decision on my own, but according to my parents, i cant -.-

Gf mom and dad :evil:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

My parents don't really care,but one bad grade and I'm done until it goes up. And, Haseo,get your own comp, all of us in ESC are gonna miss you :cry:

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

When I was 14, my dad was concerned about what I was spending my time doing, because this was around the time where my dad was trying to make me into his little prodigy, feeding me books he thought was fit for me and telling me how I should control my time.

So of course he didn't approve in playing Runescape, as it does not contribute anything productive in real life. However, when I showed him my plans of one of the first Steel Company's of Runescape, he liked my take on the game. I didn't touch a pickaxe or got near a furnace, and still I made profit for everyone in the company (especially me). If it hadn't been for my business-like way of playing, I'm sure I wouldn't even be reading Tip.It forums today. Then, once I made a nice sum money and left my steel company to the most productive miner, I started merchanting rares and built up a nice wealth. My dad would ask me why I didn't bother training my stats (by now he had a good idea of the game), and I told him that they meant nothing and that training them would be wasting my time.

That's when I realized Runescape coins were also worthless, and quit at 16. (oh, had I known PayPal existed...)

To all those who thing Runescape teaches you valuable life lessons, this is for you: When I started my paper-route, I discovered there were many stupid and incompetent people in my community. When I got my first minimum-wage job at Subway, I realized there a many stupid people all over my city. And when I played Runescape, I learned there are many stupid and incompetent people all around the world.

And that is the only life lesson you'll learn in Runescape.

hiccup.png

My mom doesn't really care, but since your parents seem to care so much just ask them if you can have x hours a day on weekends, if you ask them for an hour or hour and a half every Saturday and Sunday it's unlikely that you'd be turned.

*-P.K.Masters-* |5+ Years of Experience|F2P Events|Cmb: 95+

Mah parents hate it... The whole tip it times thing helped but... Anyways look at mah stats, extremely impressive. They don't want me to be p2p during the school year. (Apart from the fact I'm in three clubs am in marching band have a 4.0 and play and ref soccer. *phew*) They are scared I'll mess up. (Don't say anything but I sent in for p2p via mail :) ) Anyways, they hate it and see myself wasting my time. (Example today) I get home from refereeing 4 football (soccer) games and the first thing they say is don't play runescape. Clean your room because school starts tomorrowm, yada yada yada. I'll see how things go. If I get straight As first quarter they'll hopefully lay off.

Edit: you should have that decision, being of legal driving age :P

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

My dad plays runescape and is level 128...

My dad is zezima and he's level 500

Actually I'm Ratchet(Sean)'s dad. Not quite 128, but, meh. He's the one that got me intrested in RS. I've never worried about him playing RS, but he is limited(all computer use and TV too) especially during the school year. Then again I grew up spending hours playing games on my NES and my Apple IIe and I think I turned out o.k..

newge4.png