22 August 2008 - RuneScape in Guinness World Records!

Sentry_Wolf

Way to go Jagex!

It was kinda obvious that it would get this title though....... as it is the second biggest MMO, and unlike the first has a f2p option!

Having said that...... does anybody else think that Guinness should revert back to real records? I have some of the older ones where they are not full of rubbish such as "longest pencil crafted by albino's under the age of 12" (that one is probaly not there.... but you get my point!)

sig2webzx7.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Jagex, Pretty fun game =)

I actually like this announcement, it seems reminiscent of the old announcements Jagex used to give.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

Yeah, I have to agree, isn't this the only GOOD free MMORPG...

If you ask me, i would say yes cuz most of the other free games out there have cash shops which cost more than a p2p game anyway but they have no support or anything, bots and hackers everywhere plus the community consists of alot of asians which mostly dont know english...and the big fact-Endless grinding is all you can do ::'

...Some FPS free games are good though \'

And Congratulations Jagex! <3:

gabby_air.png

Best tip.it F.O.G. player =)

"No mercy for the weak, no pity for the dying, no tears for the slain"

Nice, Now go get the big one from WOW. :lol:

I played wow for a while wasnt long until i returned to runescape, the majority of gamers for wow are based in korea, as i found out when i was playing the textures are now better than wow on runescape, i'd love to see a close up behind character view on runescape, that would really bring the game to life especially in the dungeons

The way jagex are going, especially with the prospect of pvp coming back i can see WoW having a real competition on their hands, especially with runescape being half the price

true. with what jagex is doing we are really just starting to hit the golden age of runescape. no autoers,easy trade system, pvp coming back, grafics,summoning(<-awsomest skill ever), and there bigest quest to date coming soon

Its a great time to play runescape, just as you said. All my friends might come back to play runescape now :lol:

Great job Jagex, you deserve it :thumbsup:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Fail.

Publicity stunt - why didnt they post it last year?

130m accs - only 10m active - and only 1m are members, which still contain the macroers and stuff.

+1

Here's a quote from the RSOF that sums up how I feel about this.

"I think its sad that jagex gets one little bit of recognition for the first time in their lives and they go crazy by posting about it in their news forums and bragging to everyone that they got one little world record. Then they take advantage of it by telling people to buy more stuff from them because hey! after all they did win a world record so now it's totally legit to buy a bunch of jagex clothing....

World of Warcraft on the other hand got a cameo in a southpark episode that millions and millions of people saw and the WoW staff didn't bother to brag about that in one of their news posts..

Jagex is pathetic sometimes."

sorry but that quote is a load of [cabbage].. WoW is not going to talk about and promote a show on their site that essentially ridiculed their most "loyal" customers, thats just not smart, even if they did give the show the ok

jagex is trying to prove that they are a big player in the world of mmos and game design in general, to 1) attract more players 2) make the people who do play feel proud they are part of such a large group. and 3) they are most likely trying to attract new investors for future projects (the appearances at E3 and the games convention)

if they didnt mention it the majority of people would not know about it, given they arent going to have a 2 page spread but rather be 2 lines of text most likely surrounded by WoW artwork

The gamer's version is a whole book full of video game high scores and such. I got it from the library once, the 2008 edition, and yes RS was the most popular free MMORPG last year as well.

Hmmk. Like you can't look that up through google.

Gamer kid: "Mom, I'm going to the library."

Mom: "Oh Jimmy, that's wonderful. Have you finally stopped playing those video games?"

Gamer kid: "No mom, but there's a new edition of Guinness Online Records. It's such a cybertastic book! <3:"

Mom: " :wall: "

2dvjurb.png

The gamer's version is a whole book full of video game high scores and such. I got it from the library once, the 2008 edition, and yes RS was the most popular free MMORPG last year as well.

Never knew it existed, and now I want to get it. :) It's great that RS is still safely holding the record, but we still have to go for the big one and overtake WoW!

I think that a lot of people seriously underestimate the sheer size of RS. It's too big to be a 'starter MMO' anymore.

I'm still amazed that this thing is still in Java. It's just slightly insane.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I lol'd at the Usain Bolt reference, way to hype your newspost. I found it sad.

And to be honest, (going off topic here), I don't even respect Bolt, I know he broke 2 world records and got some gold medals and whatnot, but he's an athlete that shows no respect whatsoever to his fellow athletes, I don't know about you, but I find that pretty sad.

Way to make a reference, Jagex.

Good job JAGeX \' . You guys earned it.

I had to 'Lol' at the Usian Bolt reference.

EDIT: Grrr...you stole my line SwordKing :evil:

;)

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Good job jagex, youve deserved some good publicity like this for ages now.

to all those getting up in arms about this, if you don't want to hear about the good things jagex do, don't read them, simple. Its a HUGE achievement that a kid from a small english county can make a game in his bed room and eventually grow to be the second biggest MMO of all time, if you want to try and rival him and jagex have a go, break jagex's record, untill then give them some bloody respect!

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Never knew it existed, and now I want to get it. :) It's great that RS is still safely holding the record, but we still have to go for the big one and overtake WoW!

I think that a lot of people seriously underestimate the sheer size of RS. It's too big to be a 'starter MMO' anymore.

I'm still amazed that this thing is still in Java. It's just slightly insane.

I got the gamers version, pretty pointless buy actually, was some interesting bits but that's it. oh, and Rs was only mentioned twice, in one and a half line. that's a bit cheap imo.

First of all, good job jagex.

Second of all,

And to be honest, (going off topic here), I don't even respect Bolt, I know he broke 2 world records and got some gold medals and whatnot, but he's an athlete that shows no respect whatsoever to his fellow athletes, I don't know about you, but I find that pretty sad.

I'm sorry, but he celebrated, whats the big deal. I'm guessing that you haven't played many sports in your life(not trying to be mean, this is just the kind of person i find to make this comment about Bolt) because if you have you would realize that if you don't want him to do that, then beat him. Plus, if you can run a 9.69 100 not even trying, good for you. It's not like he pointed at the other runner and said "Haha".

Also, why Usain Bolt instead of Michael Phelps?

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.

First of all, good job jagex.

Second of all,

I'm sorry, but he celebrated, whats the big deal. I'm guessing that you haven't played many sports in your life(not trying to be mean, this is just the kind of person i find to make this comment about Bolt) because if you have you would realize that if you don't want him to do that, then beat him. Plus, if you can run a 9.69 100 not even trying, good for you. It's not like he pointed at the other runner and said "Haha".

Also, why Usain Bolt instead of Michael Phelps?

Actually, I have, maybe even more than you. I'm saying this because he NEVER gave any of the other runners a hand, or even a pad on their shoulders, something all other runners do, out of respect for eachother. That behaviour just has the word '[puncture]' all over it.

It's okay to celebrate, but it's not okay to have an elitist attitude towards others.

World of Warcraft on the other hand got a cameo in a southpark episode that millions and millions of people saw and the WoW staff didn't bother to brag about that in one of their news posts..

Funny I thought the episode was an insult to both WoW and their players. I don't see why they would brag about that.

]

Funny I thought the episode was an insult to both WoW and their players. I don't see why they would brag about that.

Yes, but when something is popular enough to get featured in a show that maintains the popularity of South Park, then you know that that something is something big. Anyway, who was it that said that bad publicity is good publicity?

As some other people said, this sickens me. Why did they choose to announce this the SECOND year? Wouldn't the first time have been a lot more groundbreaking and exciting? And did it really deserve to be posted on the front page while another, game related, topic about changes to GoP was posted in the RSOF under "This Week's Updates?" Plus, if you take out the number of inactive accounts, the macroers, pures, multiple accounters, and accounts started just to try the new tutorial, the number of F2P becomes much smaller.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

]

I saw them have a news post about having a discount for buying that season, which isn't saying much since I don't play WoW at all..

Dr_Brinner.png

Actually, I have, maybe even more than you. I'm saying this because he NEVER gave any of the other runners a hand, or even a pad on their shoulders, something all other runners do, out of respect for eachother. That behaviour just has the word '[puncture]' all over it.

It's okay to celebrate, but it's not okay to have an elitist attitude towards others.

Well, first of all, I just realized that your from Belgium whereas I am from the U.S. and this could cause a large difference in reaction towards this. Second, did you see the guy in second from Trinidad and Tobago? He was muchhhhh worse than Bolt. He was rolling on the ground and just acting like he'd never gotten second in a race before.

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.