Tip.It Times Presents: A Lack of Clarity, and Nerfing

Turtlefemm

We hope you enjoy this week's thought provoking Tip.it Times article by Deathmath, which takes a look at some of the 'bugs' which have been removed from Runescape.

>>>A Lack of Clarity, and Nerfing<<<

No one needs to get their ass on their shoulders about this

--the_tallest1
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

My deviantart gallery --- Turtlequirks Zazzle

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate it when jagex releases sumthing new and then once people find out how to use it to ist full advantage it gets completly nerfed... cant they give us a break and make sumthing easy for once? :P

De_Toke.png
max.png
Quest cape since Jan. 30th, '08

I really enjoyed this quite a bit.

I don't agree with everything (I think Jagex should swallow their pride and roll back for people that get screwed by untested updates), but the overarching point is a good one. I think the game's players deserve more beta testing, and it wouldn't interfere with release timing very much.

Consider that each release requires an extra two months of testing, but that would merely result in a one-time two month shift in releases, and then business as usual.

Overall we get a very good product for the money we pay, but in the spirit of continuous improvement this would be a nice place to focus.

stormveritas.png

I had almost forgotten about that Cockroache glitch. Darn, ranging on a pure could make you some nice money and experience. But it had to go away. >.>

There's tons of updates however that go through QA and bugs like these are found. Sure there's what? Like 6 or 8 low to high priority bugs that get through in a year. Out of the 50ish updates they make. That's pretty good for me. WoW also doesn't get updated every week. They have more time than Jagex does.

Well thought out, and well written. regarding the testing.

However, I havent heard of the "Cockroach" bug/glitch, could someone please explain...?

Good read anyway

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

Well some bugs are excuseable since they are so random and hard to find anyway. \' Others are so obvious you have to wonder what the team was on not to realize them like the house bug. :thumbdown: Jagex definitely needs better beta testing. Nice article.

I agree that Jagex needs to do a better job fixing glitches. I found so many glitches when rs hd came out, I found it sad that no-one had found these glitches (like harbie bug lanterns for instance). And, I also agree that getting banned for "bug abuse" is usually worthless, since there are so many people who get banned for it, but only a small percentage were doing anything wrong.

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

When Cockroach soldiers were introduced, their ranged attack was incredibly weak, so mages and rangers would standoff at maximum range and take them apart, and the drops were pretty good too.

It was fixed by giving them a more powerful ranged attack, ending the easy mage and range, though it would have been more interesting if they had been made harder to get a good standoff attack on, with their range a secondary.

A side effect, it made their range attack much more dangerous to a fleeing warrior at low HP.

You have to understand that for every bug that makes it through Jagex's QA department, there are probably dozens of bugs that are found and removed before the update. I'm not saying that Jagex can't do a better job, but you can't really say they're doing a bad job.

One thing Jagex's QA is bad at, however, is making sure that new content is properly balanced. For example, when Vinesweeper came out it gave 1/6 the amount of xp it gives now, which is really underpowered.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Thanks guys.

To stormveritas, although it might've been the thing to do in my opinion it would set a precedent. Then rollback for anything that happens etc. Although if they could've kept it isolated...

My cousin was a tester for blizzard; they have multiple stages of testing. It takes a while and releases are slower, but talking to him it sounds like there are many less glitches.

Thanks for the compliments ::'

To llamster, yes, but they could do better. Maybe I was too harsh :ohnoes:

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

nais, but soma forgot the 'box of zil's doom' (or something, heard about it on SoDB)

very nice, i think the rule for bug abuse should be taken out, it isnt our fault, its the fault of jagex' QA team...

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Anything unlike some glitches from RSC that were obviously glitches you shouldn't be banned for in my opinion, although I do wee why they have the rule.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Hated it. Read like it was written by a bitter person attacking Jagex for anything. :thumbdown:

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.