Where would you be in life without Runescape?

Dean Ambrose

[hide=]
If i hadn't found Runescape i probably would have had a worse life. I'm a social out-cast to begin with and live in a town of less than 300 people with no drivers license. Runescape has probably kept me from going outside and doing stuff i shouldn't be doing :shame: I know at the minimum it has filled the large amounts of lonely bored time i have.

Try doing some "stuff you shouldn't be doing"-that's called living

I meant stuff like drinking and drugs. Runescape kept me off that path for a few years lol

Drinking and drugs are fine in moderation (and when I say drugs I'm really just referring to pot) and in many ways healthier than playing Runescape. I'm not saying you should go out and get drunk or smoke pot every night, but when you look back on your life you'll remember the times you were out with friends and having fun, not that time you got a hilt drop.

[/hide]

I completely agree with xlippsx, but hey, that's just our point of view.

Fair enough, it just kept me from getting hooked at a younger age when i had no friends, but now i party it up with friends. lol

Good to know =D>

The realization that I needed to quit occured the day I got back from summer vacation. I'm currently a senior in highschool and have always been somewhat popular, maintaining a 3.7 GPA and a solid group of friends. I started drinking as a sophmore and smoking as a junior, but that first day back from summer break, my friends and I went to a party and afterwards (about 2 a.m.) I sat in my room getting ready to log onto Rs and thought to myself, why do I do this? None of my friends play runescape or any video games for that matter and all Rs did was hold me back. I strongly advise anyone reading this to really contemplate why they play, and to take my advice and just quit. I'm just upset I can't get back those countless hours I wasted on this game and turn them into something, anything else.

Holy [cabbage].....you sound alot like me...only i still play runescape :|

I definately have a solid social life...and i go to alot of parties and have a girlfriend and stuff...but hardly a day passes where i don't play. :-#

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely play now an hour a day. My friends/family/girlfriend and sports take up to much time. When I use to play a lot it's because I didn't have football or hockey, was single...and didn't care much for the social scene. Now I have time to study and I'm not urged to go online and mine some coal which will have NO BENEFIT FOR MY LIFE. I'm not going to go to school and brag about getting 99 mining. I'd rather brag about having a great time with friends or scoring a winning touchdown.

tax-miley-cyrus_186x200.jpg

RSN: Zammyftw ^^The girl that ruined music.

I would probably focus on schoolwork more than I do now. I would probably just play different games in my free time, or read more books.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

I'd probably do a bit better in school but Rs is just the perfect way to relieve the stress of the day. An hour or two on Rs is great after stressing out all day. :geek:

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Good to know =D>

The realization that I needed to quit occured the day I got back from summer vacation. I'm currently a senior in highschool and have always been somewhat popular, maintaining a 3.7 GPA and a solid group of friends. I started drinking as a sophmore and smoking as a junior, but that first day back from summer break, my friends and I went to a party and afterwards (about 2 a.m.) I sat in my room getting ready to log onto Rs and thought to myself, why do I do this? None of my friends play runescape or any video games for that matter and all Rs did was hold me back. I strongly advise anyone reading this to really contemplate why they play, and to take my advice and just quit. I'm just upset I can't get back those countless hours I wasted on this game and turn them into something, anything else.

tbh anyone that blames rs for a bad social life/grades is stupid, if they put a game before real life :?

it is possible to have a good social life and play rs regularly, in moderation.

seeing as I can already juggle work, family, friends and rs and still have happy and balanced life, i don't see why i should quit, or anyone else for that matter

I don't think anyone puts Rs before real life on purpose, it's just that a lot of people can't help it. I (as well as many others) find myself easily addicted to things and with something like Runescape, it can be very hard to keep it in check. However, those who put it before real life because they've classified themselves as "nerds" and have given up hope on a social life are just wrong. Hit the gym, try new things, take a few risks.

Why should you quit? Because literally anything is a better use of your spare time than sitting in front of a computer day in and day out.

I'm confused here...are you saying every second in front of a computer is a waste of time or excessive amounts of time in a computer? And going back to your last post...

My personal opinion is that smoking pot on occasion with friends (no more than 2-3 times a week) is much healthier and a much better use of your time than playing Runescape for 30minutes a day.

[hide=""]
If i hadn't found Runescape i probably would have had a worse life. I'm a social out-cast to begin with and live in a town of less than 300 people with no drivers license. Runescape has probably kept me from going outside and doing stuff i shouldn't be doing :shame: I know at the minimum it has filled the large amounts of lonely bored time i have.

Try doing some "stuff you shouldn't be doing"-that's called living

I meant stuff like drinking and drugs. Runescape kept me off that path for a few years lol

Drinking and drugs are fine in moderation (and when I say drugs I'm really just referring to pot) and in many ways healthier than playing Runescape. I'm not saying you should go out and get drunk or smoke pot every night, but when you look back on your life you'll remember the times you were out with friends and having fun, not that time you got a hilt drop.

[/hide]

Hmm, smoking for 30 minutes instead of playing RuneScape for 30 minutes...yeah, sure is MUCH more healthier than RuneScape. You play the moderation card, so do I. Stop assuming everyone's gonna be the 40-year-old-virgin.

Ironically though, since everyone's saying their grades will be better, mine got worse...Having As and Bs with RuneScape, then dropping to Bs and Cs, not doing much of my homework when I don't play RuneScape much...Guess fishing was a better-homework do'er than playing a FPS or raiding in WoW. :lol:

My personal opinion is that smoking pot on occasion with friends (no more than 2-3 times a week) is much healthier and a much better use of your time than playing Runescape for 30minutes a day.

Smoking pot being more fun than RuneScape is relative to the person, but you cannot be frikken serious on saying smoking is healthier...that's...taking it way too far in that mind of yours...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Smoking pot being more fun than RuneScape is relative to the person, but you cannot be frikken serious on saying smoking is healthier...that's...taking it way too far in that mind of yours...

I thought it was pretty obvious that I did not mean physically healthy...obviously smoking is bad for you. What I meant is that it's a much more socially and emotionally healthy use of your free time, as opposed to hunched over a computer for hours on end.

tbh, i dont really spend to much time on rune, it's apast time, still do my homework, still go out and still hang wth friends

id probley spend the time i play wow watching tv since i really only play it on weekend morning and other nights just free time anyways =/

I think what most people are saying and the most logical thing to do is to play Runescape if you still enjoy it, but don't let it get ahead of anything in your life, just do it when otherwise you'd be walking around thinking about what to do for one hour before heading out with your friends.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I did not mean physically healthy...obviously smoking is bad for you. What I meant is that it's a much more socially and emotionally healthy use of your free time, as opposed to hunched over a computer for hours on end.

What i dont get is that your on these forums.. posting away.. telling us how we all need to go and get lives... but how is sitting infront of a computer posting on forums (for a game youve supposedly "quit") any better then actually playing the game?

What i dont get is that your on these forums.. posting away.. telling us how we all need to go and get lives... but how is sitting infront of a computer posting on forums (for a game youve supposedly "quit") any better then actually playing the game?

Because I only browse general discussion and when I do, I'm on for no more than 5 minutes. Notice how my post count isn't very high for the 2+ years i've been a member of this forum? It's also a way to keep in touch with people I met through the game and to keep in touch with a community that I grew to love while I was playing Rs.

i'd probably be on another game lol

other than that not much would change. i live out in the middle of no where and with gass prices its not worth driving for an hour to see your friends when you see them at school anyway so it doesn't take much away from my social life.

for school work i use rs as a reward to motivate me. if i get a good grade(b+) i'll go on for an hr or so and that has actually helped my grades. and lets face it who here can't say that rs helped with your typeing skills?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

i'd probably be on another game lol

other than that not much would change. i live out in the middle of no where and with gass prices its not worth driving for an hour to see your friends when you see them at school anyway so it doesn't take much away from my social life.

for school work i use rs as a reward to motivate me. if i get a good grade(b+) i'll go on for an hr or so and that has actually helped my grades. and lets face it who here can't say that rs helped with your typeing skills?

It's because of Runescape that I can type at lightning speed. You make a good point. I remember way back when I was 13 I was taking a computers class. My teacher tried to teach us that "correct" way of typing where you keep your fingers on certain keys. I tried that for five minutes, gave up, and went back to typing twice as fast as anyone in my class, including my teacher. Got an A in the class even though I never did what she asked us to do. :XD: I think it was obvious that I didn't need the class.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I wouldn't have as big as a weapon replica arsenal as i do now.

And i think I'd do a little better in school and my social life.

I'm sure there are other little minor things, but nothing too important.

It's because of Runescape that I can type at lightning speed. You make a good point. I remember way back when I was 13 I was taking a computers class. My teacher tried to teach us that "correct" way of typing where you keep your fingers on certain keys. I tried that for five minutes, gave up, and went back to typing twice as fast as anyone in my class, including my teacher. Got an A in the class even though I never did what she asked us to do. :XD: I think it was obvious that I didn't need the class.

That's another thing, i think RS has also helped my with my typing skills.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Yeah, I'd probably have beaten more of my Wii games, so I'd have spent about the same money on new games as I do on membership, and I wouldn't really be in any better shape lol.

I might have a more established social life, but tbh it's the nerd I am that gives me the friends I have :lol:

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

SLAYERGEEK

I don't think I'd be any less socially acceptable if I didn't play, meh I hardly have a social life anyway. :P I would probably be a lot fitter and healthier if I didn't play, I just HATE excercise, Lollage. :geek:

My grades are doing alright though \' I cant see how anyone can put RS ahead of studying.

Why do all the guys on here seem to think that having an "0mg 5up3r h0t gf" is an example of how cool you are? LOVE THE UGLY PEOPLE 8-)

~Jaffa x (Magical Flying Doormat)

Baa Ram Ewe, Baa Ram Ewe, Sheep be Wise and Sheep be True

Pie Party Productions

http://www.youtube.com/user/PiePartyProductions

This is my third attempt at writing this post, heh. I can't really think of a way to describe how RS totally destroyed the life I once had, and once enjoyed so much.

[hide=Long post]I used to be quite an outgoing chap. Hard to think of it now. I'd go out at least once every weekend. I was physically active, and I gave everything my absolute 100%. I was also quite confident, I had a group of around five mates that I kept in touch with. I was on MSN pretty much every night, hours on end, talking to people and listening to music. Otherwise, I'd be out. Easily the happiest and most content I have ever been.

That changed though, so much.

Physically, RS forced me to stay at my computer for hours on end and this was not helpful for my eyes or my back. After playing two years of RS, my back is now sore near the hip. My eyesight deteriorated rapidly as well. Being hooked onto RS meant that I wasn't going out as much as I did in my high school years, and as a result, I put on weight massively. I went from 8" (50kg) when I started college in 2006 to 10" (62kg) upon leaving college just two years later. Without RuneScape I've have probably stayed out as much as I used to, so if I hadn't ever come across RuneScape, I'd probably be in much better shape than I am now - in fact, staying off RS is already having an effect on me personally. I'm starting to lose weight (I'm hoping to get to about 52-55kg again), and my eyesight has stabilised. My back hasn't stopped seizing, so I'm presuming that's probably permanent damage.

Socially, I also took a knock. You hear it all the time, but at the age of 16-18, you're growing up faster than you ever will do in your life. I'm not talking physically, but mentally too. This is where you start to remove abstract opinions of "black and white", and started to say things in a tone of gray. It's a confusing time for everyone, even the best of us. Because I spent all my time on RS, I started to become a recluse. Aside from my family, my girlfriend (I met before playing RS) and her family, I don't think I interacted with anyone in real life. Can you imagine that? Going through life talking to just seven people outside of work/school? I did, and let me tell you, it's a [bleep] miserable existence. When you need to get away from it all, or if you want to go out somewhere, you can't because you've been left behind playing some stupid game. The relationship between me and my girlfriend ended. Now what? Absolutely no one. It's only since quitting RS completely that I've started to become more confident about communicating using the spoken word, and started to interact with people outside. I can talk to complete strangers now and not have a problem. The thought of doing that a year ago would probably have sent me into a nervous wreck.

Now, yes, it wasn't just RS that caused those things. There were other things as well. I started to isolate myself from music and almost all forms of reading. This made me very closed minded and hostile towards anything 'different' to myself and the way I live my life, which in turn, made me quite bitter, angry and generally unpleasant.

I have to accept responsibility for my own actions, and the way I was so weak-minded as to let this addiction take such a chokehold over my entire life. The transition from high school to college was hard too. They were inextricably linked in the way my lifestyle changed almost beyond recognition.

But if you're asking where I'd be without RuneScape, then the answer is the last two years of my life - the happiest two years for many, many people - would not have been as dark as they were. I never want to be in that confused state again.

The fact is, if you get addicted to drugs, or alcohol, cigarettes or even sex, violence and gambling; people refer you to get help. Support's free on the NHS. If it's something like that, something tangible, people care because they see the addiction for themselves. What happens if you're addicted to a game though? Nothing, because you're hidden and not talking to anyone while you're doing it. That's why it's so important not to let yourself spend hours a day on this game, or any game for that matter. It ruins lives.[/hide]

I have thought that question several times and my answer... i don't know. This sounds really nerdy but RuneScape has become a part of my life. Most people say that their marks would go up or their social life would increase but when you think about it, Runescape, compared to other games like WoW or Whatever, involves a lot of mathematics and goal setting. In runescape, you are in control of someone. The way that character trains, talks and acts is all a reflection of yourself. :)

Sure i would have hundreds of hours back if i never played RS at all but its not like you were bored out your mind while you were using those hours. Sure you can say, "Oh, i can use those hours to play, or exercise or study" but really... with the time you spend on RS, you could have filled with something else. I for one am an Honour student From JK-9 and am extremely fit, as I am an Avid runner. I guess that last sentence was to all those who think that people who play rs have no life. If you read this, thanks for reading it.

Now Check out my Newb stats

default.jpg?app=bg&i=3486165&time=1223496739566