What Game(s) Did You Last Get and What Are You Playing?

runescapeloser22

• 2 weeks later...

Recently finished Ocarina of Time. It's only the second console game I've finished, next to Mario64, so can't really say it's indeed the best game ever, as the Internet people seem to suggest, but definitely enjoyed it a lot.

Unis vers l'Uni

Metuse.png

Ocarina of Time is one of those games held up by nostalgic gamers as one of the best things ever. Is it, though? I really couldn't say for sure. At the time it was pretty damn awesome, so I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" kind of things. Still, a little over 13 years later it still stands up as a good game, and in today's finish-and-forget gaming culture that's pretty impressive.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

What it was at the time was incredible. We take 3D gaming for granted these days that perhaps we don't appreciate what games like OoT and M64 (among others on the PS) achieved.

Personally I found Skyward Sword better than OoT, which opens up the proverbial bag of worms in questions. It was an absolute joy to play. To complicate matters further, Majora's Mask is my favourite game of all time. Have fun working that pecking order out.

• Like 1

Ocarina of Time is one of those games held up by nostalgic gamers as one of the best things ever. Is it, though? I really couldn't say for sure. At the time it was pretty damn awesome, so I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" kind of things. Still, a little over 13 years later it still stands up as a good game, and in today's finish-and-forget gaming culture that's pretty impressive.

This is how I would view it. Same with Goldeneye 64 for me. It showed everyone what multiplayer shooters could be, and I'd hazard that graphics notwithstanding, the game still holds up alright to games that aren't more than a decade old.

The same thing for Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask. These are games with gameplay and depth (in 3D no less) that while certainly not the most amazing thing ever by contemporary standards, still hold up alright even 14 and 16 years later.

Doom, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, and Ocarina of time are games that blazed a new trail. Doom pretty much created the FPS genre. Super Mario 64 was one of the first 3D games ever made, and is a game that had a serious impact on game design that followed. Goldeneye brought shooters to the console, and proved that multiplayer shooters could be fun. Ocarina of Time brought the even more open world, massive story, and gameplay mechanics that serve as the forerunner to games like the Elder Scrolls Series. The games are firsts (or at least the first that was popular), and had a massive influence on games that followed them. That is why they are special. I've obviously left out a couple, with Pong being the most obvious one I can think of.

Hehe yeah, the controls are...interesting. That single joystick era is a problem, though I will say that Goldeneye had a pretty good autoaim system. If you wanted the multiplayer experience with modern controls, try Goldeneye Source on steam. It's a pretty nostalgia inducing recreation.

But no, it's definitely not as timeless. I would only give that to Mario 64, and OoT/MM really, because there is something to those games that is just different (keeping in mind that Mario 64 is the last mario world game I actually played, so maybe it doesn't stand up to modern incarnations).

Super Mario 3D World took away the main weakness of M64, Sunshine and Galaxy superbly; namely, the repeated visiting of the same world (or in Galaxy's case, different bits of the same world). Every stage is different, like a small piece of candy unwrapped every five to ten minutes.

I can understand not wanting a Wii U, but it's a brilliant game in its own right. One of the best games I played in 2013, easily.

Oh my...and it makes sense!!

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Getting into some Path of Exile, at the recommendation of my sister. Only a level 10 marauder at the moment, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I can see myself sinking a lot of time into it.

Also still doing my attempt at the platinum trophy for Skyrim (Only two more main story trophies, killing a legendary dragon and a few Dragonborn trophies).

In the times where I don't want to play the two previous games, I'm re-playing Jak 2 to 100%, something I've never actually done, I've done everything before, bar a lot of the orb challenges (Gun courses, races, gold Jet-Board course, egh). But yeah, good fun. Might play some in a little bit.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Playing Warframe (PS4), pretty fun game but can tell it was designed for PC.  Going to be interesting once they allow PC players to port their characters over to PS4 though, sudden rush of high levels!

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

Finally got around to giving Arma 3 a go on singleplayer. I'm not sure if it's better than Arma 2, or if I never gave single player a chance on that game. Anyway, like it well enough in this one, though the learning curve is one of the steepest I have ever seen. The controls are even more in depth than Arma 2, though I have to admit, once you get used to all these controls existing (like being able to control if you keep your gun shouldered or lower it when walking), it's actually useful and intuitive. Just, until you know what controls exist, it can be confusing or frustrating (for example, hitting S while holding W makes you walk slow and prevents sprinting or lowering your gun). Also, the game engine has much much better physics now, and general vehicle detail.

Only gripe is that the removed the mouse aim driving. Using the mouse to drive now is how you crash, since it's much too slow, and I dislike the keyboard. I've settled for using a controller instead when driving trucks.

10 minutes into the game I found myself alone on the side of a hill being shot at from multiple directions. It's really hard to see people at 200m, and I am hoping that playing single player will sharpen my spotting skills a lot. At least in that case I was too far away for anyone to hit me as long as I moved a bit, and it was certainly a tense few minutes trying to spot them all and shoot them. Playing a combat simulator is definitely a different experience. It still takes some shortcuts for playability to be sure, but the action is definitely different.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning.

Just started, doesn't look half bad, though the layout could have fooled anyone into thinking that this is an MMORPG

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning.

Just started, doesn't look half bad, though the layout could have fooled anyone into thinking that this is an MMORPG

The same, though after about an hour I'm thinking it's going to be the kind of average game that could have been so much better. Still, fun enough to be worth the $5 it was on sale for... Would have hated to have spent $60 on release. :-P

Been playing Murder in Garry's Mod. Really fun stuff there. I like it better than Trouble in Terrorist Town simply because people seem to like to screw around more than focus on the objective.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

No, it counts as a reskin of that Helicopter game.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Alan Wake was my first time doing horror games right - After midnight, in the dark, with headphones. Since that wasn't really completely horror, this could be considered the actual first. It kept me tense at times, which is saying a lot (I love horror games, but they usually fail to actually scare me), and it helps that it prevents you from getting a good look at the monsters. The puzzles are all logical and satisfying, but it's horrible at telling you what you're actually supposed to be doing. Often I'd solve a puzzle and not find out until later what it actually did.

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs - Like the above, it kept me tense and is better than most horror games, plus it has even better mechanics for making sure you don't get a good look at the monsters. However, it's much more story focused than the last, to the detriment of gameplay. Not that I mind, considering the story is great.

Alan Wake - Last post on this, I swear. I don't think I've ever gone back and forth so much between loving and hating a game, but I settled on loving it by the end, so it's all good I guess.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.