Those "Holy <beep>" moments in gaming... [possible spoilers]

ixfd64

Have you ever had a moment in which a video game that suddenly made you jump and cuss at the screen?

Well, here are mine:

1. Doom/Ultimate Doom:

a. The end of episode 1

[hide=Possible spoiler]At the end of the first episode, the player must enter a portal, after which the player's health rapidly drains until the episode ends right before the player is supposed to due.[/hide]

b. The boss of episode 2

[hide=Possible spoiler]The Cyberdemon wasn't mentioned in the manual and I had no idea what was happening.

Cyberdemon: ROOOAAAAAR!!

Me: Whoa, what was that? *gets splattered by rockets*[/hide]

2. Doom 3 - the demon invasion

[hide=Possible spoiler]The demon invasion after the player talks to a technician. I knew what was going to happen but it still scared the heck out of me.[/hide]

3. Space Quest I - the first level

[hide=Possible spoiler]If the player takes too much time on the first level (the starship Arcada), it self-destructs. I was like "What the [bleep]?" when the starship exploded and I was presented with a "game over" screen.[/hide]

4. Resident Evil 4

[hide=Possible spoiler]I've never played this game myself, but I was watching one of my suitemates play it some time ago. The scene where a character suddenly gets impaled by a huge tentacle made both of us jump.[/hide]

5. Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures

[hide=Possible spoiler]In the catacomb level, there are gigantic bursts of flame that fly through the level peridically and can kill the player instantly. I certainly didn't see that coming![/hide]

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passing Through the Fire and Flames on expert.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

All of MGS4.

Resistance 2.

Motorstorm 2

If you've played any of these you'll know what I'm talking about.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

MGS3

[hide=]When you get to sorrows river no matter what you do you die, took me forever to figure out what to do after that.[/hide]

That part was a pain...Also another couple holy [cabbage] moment from MGS3

[hide=]Amazing motorcycloe chase sequence[/hide]

[hide=]The boss was a good guy...I almost cried...[/hide]

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 3, the boss battle with the Sorrow I think hes called, you spend like 10 minutes walking down a river dodging ghosts and then you suddenly die for no apparent reason, the game makes it look like you're dead with the game over screen and everything, and have to take a CIA fake death pill or something to come round.

I dont really see the point in spoiler tagging these unless its a recent game, I doubt many people are going to be playing Doom for the first time.

EDIT: someone already got that one.

mgssteelwarol7.png

[hide="Call of Duty 4]When the nuke goes off just after you save that pilot, and then it turns out all to be for naught, where you get blown up. :<

And the Epilogue after the nuke was kind of a tease.

Finale was also raaaaaaaaage, after they shot Gaz. Gaz was awesome.[/hide]

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

HL2:EP2

[hide=]When Eli gets killed by the Combine near the end by the helicopter. You're forced to watch it and it's fairly unsettling for a game who in all of the ten years of it's existence never really killed off a character close to yours, or at least not as directly.[/hide]

System Shock 2

[hide=]When you find out who SHODAN really is. God that entire sequence sends shivers down my spine, such a [bleep]ing amazing villain.[/hide]

Chrono Trigger

[hide=]When you find out about Lavos. Again similar to the SS2 one, but really it still sends shivers down my spine today and the game is old.[/hide]

Dead Space

The end boss, 'nuff said.

Heh. Any time my friend plays EndWar.

Mine're usually on Xbox Live (so Grand Theft Auto 4, used to be Halo 3 but I don't play that much any more) and thanks to my crappy connection.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

[hide=Spoiler]Basically every level of condemned 1. You'd always see a shadow or a jerk just on the corner of your game screen, not enough to know what it was but enough so you'd notice something. You'd investigate, find nothing. Then just as you turn around it'd be right in front of you with some scary [wagon] facial expression. Always freaked the [cabbage] out of me.[/hide]

Metal Gear Solid 3, the boss battle with the Sorrow I think hes called, you spend like 10 minutes walking down a river dodging ghosts and then you suddenly die for no apparent reason, the game makes it look like you're dead with the game over screen and everything, and have to take a CIA fake death pill or something to come round.

I dont really see the point in spoiler tagging these unless its a recent game, I doubt many people are going to be playing Doom for the first time.

EDIT: someone already got that one.

Well I see your point with doom, but mgs3 is more new than doom. Besides you might have people who haven't played mgs3.

I have another one from mgs3:

[hide=]I was playing on extreme mode and when I got to the boss I had basically no life, she killed me in one hit.[/hide]

[hide=devil may cry]When the sword flew out of the picture and just stabbed my character through the chest. I was just thinking "well Dante, good game, we lost"[/hide]

[hide="Call of Duty 4]When the nuke goes off just after you save that pilot, and then it turns out all to be for naught, where you get blown up. :<

And the Epilogue after the nuke was kind of a tease.

Finale was also raaaaaaaaage, after they shot Gaz. Gaz was awesome.[/hide]

[hide=Call of Duty]Yeah i liked Gaz :(

For me it was when i first saw Captain Price in CoD4 and realised he was in CoD2 aswell :lol:[/hide]

vansing.png

[hide=Oblivion]when I went to geta drink my frien put the difficulty up to max, a zombie came and owned me in 2 hits and I hadn't saved for a bit[/hide]

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within when you first get chased by the Dahaka. Oh my god that scared the life out of me. Such a good game.

I agree with that no end.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

When I first played the Beta for Halo 3. The loading screen for the menu gave me goosebumps.

On a black screen, with white text in the bottom-left corner:

"Halo 3 Beta"

*Scroll-fade down*

"Love,"

"Bungie".

I might sound like a fan boy, but the Halo 3 Beta was the best thing I ever played. I also loved the Halo 3 campaign, and still do.

Another "Holy [Cabbage]" moment would be getting the final Jiggy in Banjo-Tooie. If anyone has ever played the game, it is the hardest one to get, the button-mashing marathon sprint on the cloud level. Me and my friend decided to play it randomly, and I thought I may as well go for it before we did other stuff. We were almost yelling when I beat it. Banjo-Kazooie is the best platformer, and maybe even the best game ever <3:

CoD4 radiation poisoning scene also gave me goosebumps.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Devil May Cry:

[hide=]The fruity final boss...the final part was kinda cool...[/hide]

Devil May Cry 2:

[hide=]The whole game made me say "Holy [cabbage]! How could they screw up this bad?"[/hide]

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Are we talking about scary momemnts or awesome moments? Either way I'm giving Bioshock a shoutout

[hide=Bioshock]The entire "fight" with Andrew Ryan was awesome[/hide]

[hide=Bioshock*again*]I was scared [cabbage]less in the entire hospital part of the game[/hide]

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

[hide=NWN]First time I fought the group of five,the one with the dwarf dude.At the level you have,about 20,they are supposed to be easy.My rouge/assassin got pwned.

I came back later with a great axe fighter and won,though.[/hide]

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within when you first get chased by the Dahaka. Oh my god that scared the life out of me. Such a good game.

I remember being genuinely scared when you first run away from that thing. It loses its effect throughout the game, but it's still epic.

[hide=]Facing Yggdrasill for the first time in Tales of Symphonia was daunting. I only realised you were supposed to die after panicking and using up all my supplies. We'd actually reduced his health quite a bit too. #-o[/hide]

Also, taking on the Owl's Nest in Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Unbelievably hard.