is it possible to not sleep at all?

nickeley102

You have people who onlyneed five hours of sleep every night.

Others need ten.

That's me I only need 5 hours sometimes less (or maybe that's just cause I have some sort of insomnia), good for when your going to school ::' bad for weekends and holidays :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

howlin1eeveesig.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's impossible.

Your brain would eventually shut down, even our brains need a rest sometime.

Sleep is a fundamental part of our lives, it lets our bodies recuperate & recharge.

Besides, there is sleep deprivation too.

EDIT: Though there are illegal drugs that keep your body alert and awake.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

as you go longer and longer without sleep, the line between reality and imaginitaion becomes blurred, you see things that would normally be limited to dreams, i tried it once, saw the floor like it was some kind of liquid, and the walls were wobbling, it was wierd, and i fell asleep in a corner soon afterwards.

2Xeo5.png

Unless you're a shark, no.

If a biology tutor taught you that,fire them.Sharks sleep,just with their eyes open.No eyelids,see.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Their is this guy, Randy Gardner. He holds the world record for longest period without sleep (11 days), NOT using any kind of stimulants.

Here's a link to wikipedia if you want to read more about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder)

That's interesting, especially how he seemed to have 'lost it' after 3-4 days, having hallucinations and such, but then on his last day he gave that press conference where he seemed okay. But I wonder what they mean by 'no stimulants', because food itself is a stimulant. If you eat, you get less sleepy and you have more energy. I don't know how well that applies after not sleeping for 5+ days, though...

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

Their is this guy, Randy Gardner. He holds the world record for longest period without sleep (11 days), NOT using any kind of stimulants.

Here's a link to wikipedia if you want to read more about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder)

That's interesting, especially how he seemed to have 'lost it' after 3-4 days, having hallucinations and such, but then on his last day he gave that press conference where he seemed okay. But I wonder what they mean by 'no stimulants', because food itself is a stimulant. If you eat, you get less sleepy and you have more energy. I don't know how well that applies after not sleeping for 5+ days, though...

Food can also make you sleepy =D>

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

Unless you're a shark, no.

If a biology tutor taught you that,fire them.Sharks sleep,just with their eyes open.No eyelids,see.

Darn. I thought I could get away with that. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone smart showed up and actually knew that sharks slept with their eyes open. (And yes, I knew that too. I actually research things before I say them.)

That'd be a good tactic to master, though.

I only care about cabbage.

Though people go on streaks without sleep, they still need to sleep at the end. Is there an article on the guy that can't sleep? I can't find it on google and it sounds really interesting

either way, the longest i went without sleep was about 44 hours - on a wendesday i woke at 6am, went to class, pulled an all nighter to finish an english paper, went to class, went to prom, got back around 2am friday morning. Yes, i was running off 37 hours of sleep when i went to prom, and no, i couldn't cut school, i had that paper to hand in.

but during the entire run i felt awake - tired, but awake. And once night/morning passed, i felt completely normal; i was completely normal during prom despite my lack of sleep.

I'm pretty sure how your body reacts to sunlight, as well as your internal clock, helps you stay awake, despite lack of sleep.

I'm fairly sure you would hallucinate and/or collapse before you would die. I've had a few friends that have tried to stay up for weeks, and they've only made it for a few days before they "saw" spiders crawling all over them.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I know this isn't really on topic, but is it possible to sleep with your eyes open?

Yes, but it can be dangerous, with your eyes drying out and stuff.

If you didn't sleep, your brain's functions will become worse and worse and you'll start hallucinating. Eventually you'd collapse, and at best, you'd get some sleep. At worst, you'd stop functioning altogether and die.

Our brains just seem to be built in a way where our brain throws information into a disorganised pile and can't deal with it when the pile gets too big. So, we sleep to give our brain a while where it receives no new information and sorts itself out. Even though we say it, we are not low on energy when we are tired, we only get energy from food/drink, not sleeping, our mind is just too disorganised to use the energy we've got efficiently.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Thing is, you can't stay up for an extremely long period of time, it'll just drive you insane. Then again, I generally only need around six hours a sleep a day, because it's how my body functions. Some people can go with less sleep, some need more.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Now wouldn't it be great if, through "genetic modification," we could design beings that didn't have to sleep and still had the same lifespan of a normal human? Imagine how much he could get done! You spend a third of your life asleep and I personally view this as a big waste.

Now known as Expl0de.

My Defense Pure Guide

Please don't post on forums whilst inebriated.

I know about insomnia and all that but i was just wondering if there are people who dont sleep whatsoever, or for like weeks or months at a time

It is possible. http://www.thanhniennews.com/features/?catid=10&newsid=12673

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Plus I would like to see a source on the 1 beat per minute thing.

I'll try to find something on this, and add it in as an Edit.

But I know there's truth in it. (Perhaps not in the amount, though. I doubt life could be sustained for very long on just one beat a minute...)

Some Buddhist monks have been known to do this during meditation. (I think... please don't hold me to it until I bring in some sources.)

I'll do some digging!

Edit:

Harvard Gazette: Meditation Changes Temperature

That's all I've found so far... interesting read, though.

I have a very slow heart rate. It's due to a lot of practice and underwater training when I was bored one day....

Anyways, I recently had to go to the hospital, and was hooked up to the heart moniter. My heart rate was about 45 the entire time.

Just for the fun of it, I tried to see how low I could get it without feeling bad, and got it down to 25bpm comfortably and held it there for about 10 mins.

Those nurses were pissed at me...

~M

I have a very slow heart rate. It's due to a lot of practice and underwater training when I was bored one day....

Anyways, I recently had to go to the hospital, and was hooked up to the heart moniter. My heart rate was about 45 the entire time.

Just for the fun of it, I tried to see how low I could get it without feeling bad, and got it down to 25bpm comfortably and held it there for about 10 mins.

How do you slowdown your heart rate?

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

How do you slowdown your heart rate?

Concentration and meditation, that's how I do it. I have never tested how low and how long I could go though, thanks misplacedme for the idea :D.

Not possible to NOT sleep at all for normal people.

But there is one case about a labourer living in Vietnam who hasn't slept for for almost 30 years ever since he had a high fever. Scientists are still scanning his brain to see what went wrong/right in it. He says he simply does not get the urge to sleep, and that he just lies down at night, yet still has the energy to do manual labour.

Air_Dragon15.png