is it possible to not sleep at all?

nickeley102

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is possible as there are parts of the brain which codes for the automatic nerve signals which signals your body and internal clock to rest. However you can force your body to stay awake but at that time it will be deprived of oxygen and your body will start to become sluggish until you eventually collapse and snooze. :lol:

Funny thing is it's 3:45 a.m. right now and I'm struggling to finish this semester-end project and all I can think about right now is sleep (and I know I won't be getting any tonight :cry:)

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Your body needs to 'recharge' itself, sleep is something that your body needs to keep going.

but there are monks who can slow their heart rate down to one beat per minute, does this not recharge your body as well as sleep? if you control your body to relax it is much more 'restful' than sleeping

Actually, no it is not. When we sleep, we get what is known as REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement). IT is this very important part of sleep that we need to survive. REM sleep is what allows your brain to sort out information from the day, as well helps to relax you.

you will die without REM sleep because your brain will become dysfunctional, and you can literally go insane.

Plus I would like to see a source on the 1 beat per minute thing.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I'll try to find something on this, and add it in as an Edit.

But I know there's truth in it. (Perhaps not in the amount, though. I doubt life could be sustained for very long on just one beat a minute...)

Some Buddhist monks have been known to do this during meditation. (I think... please don't hold me to it until I bring in some sources.)

I'll do some digging!

Edit:

Harvard Gazette: Meditation Changes Temperature

That's all I've found so far... interesting read, though.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

There's an American guy who got the flu once. After he recovered he found out he couldn't get back to sleep. I believe he still can't sleep, and he got that flu something like 45 years ago. He's had medical exams and the doctors' say he is in fine physical shape, nothing out of order.

spacescenev24.jpg

Beat me to it.

A heartbeat rate of sixty per minute is considered low. Fifty beats per minute is considered to be bradycardia. A person with a heartbeat rate of one per minute is, for all intents and purposes, in cardiac arrest as blood (And oxygen) aren't being pumped through the body. In short, she or he would die in a matter of minutes :|

Why did people tell us we would die if we didn't sleep for 15 days several years ago?

The media just likes to stir up stuff to keep us in a frenzy. Plus, businesses profit off of people's worry.

"If you don't sleep for at least fifteen days, you will die. So, to prevent that from happening, ensure you get a complete and restful night's sleep - come on down to Joe's Matress and Pillow store, and save, Save, SAVE!!"

*cough*

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

I don't think so, if you could...everyone would be extremely short since you grow while you sleep

I would have to say tho, that it would be really cool to say up for a few days stright (think about total payback on older siblings and/or parents by bugging them all night :lol: )

cac29dfe51.png

image.png

Please click and warm up my egg.

Most people begin to have waking dreams and living nightmares after a few days. I had a friend who decided he'd try that and worms started crawling out of the walls on day four.

There are some exceptions, of course, but the vast majority of people need to sleep regularly.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Sleep deprivation quite often has the same effects of Alcohol consumption. After 24 hours you'll become slow, unsteady and your motor skills are lessened. As you go longer it's like drinking more, you'll start to sway, slur your words, reactions are lessened etc.

If you made sure you didn't sleep your vital organs would eventually shut down and you'd die of heart attacks / various organ failures.

I remember reading an article about some guy, I think he was Vietnamese, who hadn't slept for years and years. But for most people it is impossible to go without sleep.

iteme3721.jpg

The longest i've gone without sleep is 48 hours, but I genuinely couldn't keep my eyes open.

I think if you keep taking caffeine to stay awake, and essentially trick the brain, I think some serious medical conditions can follow :\

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

Beat me to it.

A heartbeat rate of sixty per minute is considered low. Fifty beats per minute is considered to be bradycardia. A person with a heartbeat rate of one per minute is, for all intents and purposes, in cardiac arrest as blood (And oxygen) aren't being pumped through the body. In short, she or he would die in a matter of minutes :|

I cant find one online sorry, but for what its worth, i read about it in new scientist.

Links to articles on these people who apparently never sleep would be interesting

NICKELEY102.png

The longest i've gone without sleep is 48 hours, but I genuinely couldn't keep my eyes open.

I think if you keep taking caffeine to stay awake, and essentially trick the brain, I think some serious medical conditions can follow :\

Caffeinism

In general, too much caffeine at once will leave you with characteristics of ADHD and make you crash about an hour after that intial "high". Caffeine is not a great tool to stay awake with.