Why do you wear "great" armor or use an "awesome" weapon?

rhupajiva

Practicality(+5% offensive and +70% defensive bonuses, more prayer bonus), reduced cost of training (less food needed/no defense potions needed, less prayer points, more healing, better special attacks) and likability( get bored less often while training with a gs). If you have the required 110m, then why not? if you are aware of the prices and buy the items at a good price then the chances of losing money on them are slim, but it doesn't really cost you anything having them(unless you need to use the money for something else). Another method is to wear 3a while training- sure to be making money with great defensive bonuses.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear Dharoks because I can't afford Guthans.

I used to think Barrows sucked, until I started using Dharoks and hit close to 40 when on 20hp. It requires managing your health closer, but it's worth it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Because it's better, obviously. Though a whip is better than a godsword, and a defender is better than DFS.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

I wear the cheap stuff as it makes more sense. Although I wear dragon armour unless I need pray because I got those drops myself and consider them cheap anyway. Whips are constant and good to train with so I stick with that. I only use a dragonfire shield on dragon tasks; I use a rune defender otherwise.

The fact is. More cash = More cash. Wearing armour that will barely aid me = less cash to make more cash. So its stupid pay out. :| Yes I can afford it quite a few times over but choose not to for previous said reasons.

So I stick to cheap stuff. I do infact splash out when it comes to pots though. I drink them quite heavily. Sometimes I gobble up alot of prayer pots too using piety when it only slightly increases my speed. Thats a combination of how fast I want to proceed and attention I want to spend on gameplay. Depends on a task I get and how much inventory space I got for it too. So my stats and output are always quite high due to that.

I have never bothered to own a godswords as I dont like the look for two handed weapons. I cant remember the choice of training style they offer. I like whip because it has controlled though.

don't forget that you can loan these items

my SGS has allowed me to convert millions of gp in junk items back into cash

Don't forget, zamorak brews and mixes are a Very good alternative to prayer potions

around half the price per prayer point, granted you need to drink more often. So timing when you drink actually becomes pretty important

Useful for tasks like spiritual mages, aberrant spectres, black demons, metal dragons. Basically anywhere you need to pray but won't be taking damage from anything besides the brews/mixes

Naaxi.png

I wear bandos armor because I can afford it. And I have never regretted buying it. Nor ever will. I don't care if it's price might one day fall to dismal levels. I don't buy a piece of armor just so I can make a few bucks selling it later, as I don't feel it's how a person should treat items. Armor isn't an investment, it's a necessity. And the better the bonuses it gives, the better you can perform. Even if it means dashing out 20m for a set giving maybe 50 points more defence bonuses in total. During a longer period of time, every extra point counts, and does make a difference, even if it isn't noticeable at first glance.

dontfearthereaper2.png

Hmmmm... Maybe because they're better? I wear the best armor I can afford. It speeds my killing, and stops me from getting killed easily.

Are you really going to question the vast majority of Runescapers who buy the best armor they can?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I have heaps of cash, i have tried almost every armour/weapon in the game (havent had one of them new fancy shields yet) and i have yet to find anything that is worth spending more then the cost of some cheap barrows. I just use Torags chest and legs, whip and a defender. The uber expensive gear is just for show, its nowhere near worth the money. Full bandos and a godsword is like 40m these days, more if you get one of the better godswords. You could buy 92 prayer with that cash and that will actually add some utility to your character. Barrows and a whip is where its at.

Fools_Taco.png

Hmmmm... Maybe because they're better? I wear the best armor I can afford. It speeds my killing, and stops me from getting killed easily.

Are you really going to question the vast majority of Runescapers who buy the best armor they can?

the answer ^

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

I wear stuff because i have it and might as well use it. No point in me having bandos in bank and not using it. I also use my dfs on slayer tasks because im not an exp nut, i dont care about my exp/h, as long as i stay alive fairly easily and without hastle im fine, which dfs helps.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

What? I use Barrows.

Very cheap (5k repairs an hour) and it seriously gives huge benefits. Plus, it saves money from food, and time from banking. It's THE best armor choice, along with a Whip and a Rune defender.

For the record: DFS and Godswords are extremely bad choices while Slayer. Bandos is a decent one, though.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

My outfit is: rune platebody, dragon platelegs, dragon boots, rune defender, adamant gloves, abyssal whip, fury, beserker ring, and slayer helmet (or neitznot helm, depends on slayer or not).

Platebody- I couldn't afford a dragon chain because 10M was out of my price range.

Platelegs- They're a set above rune and affordable. 1M isn't too bad

Boots- Looked nice. Didn't care about the bonus, but I do now.

Defender- Eventually unlocked it. I hated it at first, but it soon showed itself useful. It's clear now why the strength bonus it useful.

Gloves- The farthest I've gotten in RFD. I understood the strength bonus, so I added it to my gear.

Weapon- I only used it for my impatiency towards slow weapons. I am now patient, but I'm just so used to it. Strength isn't my favourite melee option, so training with this is fine.

Neckalce/ring- After getting 65 slayer, I camped at Dusties for 6 hours. Being a lucky devil, I got a dragon chainbody. I prefered the money, so I sold it at 9.7M and bought a fury and beserker. I mostly liked the bonsues and kept it.

Helmet- The bonuses are great. They've helped to make tasks and fighting a bit faster.

Bandos is better than rune in every possible way, it gives better defense and better strength bonus. I used to have around 60m (before i was hacked) and I used to use Bandos all the time whilst training slayer. If someone wants to get, for example, only 55 slayer then it really is not worth going through the hassle of buying full bandos unless he player is really rich. But if the slayer goal is a long term one, such as getting 85, it is worth investing money into bandos because it will make the tasks faster.

People who use bandos don't use it to brag or showoff, they use it for the bonuses.

Everyone has made good arguments. Wouldn't spending 20 mil on prayer (for those of you who arent maxed) be worth a lot more? OR 20mil on any other useful skill..
You can sell expensive armour at any time. Money spent on skills is gone for good. However, when someone buys expensive armour, they obviously plan to train combat, and it makes more sense to buy armour to train melee with, then sell that armour to get money for other skills, than to just immediately spend it on skills.

Why do you wear "great" armor or use an "awesome" weapon?

Basically the same thing as saying.

"Why have nice things"

Point is... if people can afford the things, and buy them, they must want them more than that skill they could be raising with the money, its just preference.

And I would much perfer the bonuses of high end items anyways... it might be expensive, but its that price for a reason, no?

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

Everyone has made good arguments. Wouldn't spending 20 mil on prayer (for those of you who arent maxed) be worth a lot more? OR 20mil on any other useful skill..

armor doesnt degrade in price too badly over time. I bought my bandos plate between 11 and 12 mil and if I do choose to resell it Im willing to bet it will have only dropped 2 or 3 mil. So I basically paid 3 mil for unlimited use of the plate over the time I had it which is fine by me.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

armor doesnt degrade in price too badly over time. I bought my bandos plate between 11 and 12 mil and if I do choose to resell it Im willing to bet it will have only dropped 2 or 3 mil. So I basically paid 3 mil for unlimited use of the plate over the time I had it which is fine by me.

I actually bought mine at 12m, resold later at 15m, and bought back again at 12m. \'

Anyway, I think the answer is obvious. Why would I use rune armour when I can use barrows, and get better bonuses in everything? There's really no debate. People use better armour because it has better stats. I'm not about to use a mithril scimitar instead of a whip so I can save money. Anyway, what else am I going to spend that money on? Might as well get good equipment.

i dont own rune or barrows armor. I see no reason to wear breaking items. and rune? i agree it used to be worth it. But now, with bandos the str bonus is good and the def stats are better.

as for DFS, def and str simply makes for a good shield.

Basiclly, I bought armadyl, loved it, sat at G.E. and realised I'm not really a ranger so i sold it. I bought dragon plate and leg's for fun, always liked dragon, than I sold it because, though I loved it, the defence bonus wasn't worth it as well as I couldn't afford DFH so not many helm's looked good with it. So I bought bandos for bandos gwd, my main income at the time, liked it for slayer cause so many crush monster's and range monster's and decided to keep it.

It's really 3 thing's:

1. Are you gonna use the armour/weapon enough to spend money on it?

If your gonna buy bandos, arma or dragon are you gonna use it, or be to scared to lose it and leave it in your bank and use cheaper armour in case of danger?

2. Do you find it "fun" or looks good?

For the time you will spend looking at it/ useing it do you like the look of it? Do you like skilling in the armour if run isn't a priority?

3. Are the stat's worth it?

stat's are a big part really. You may like the look of say, leather range armour but you wouldn't buy it and actually use this armour on a slayer task or monster hunting.

New Siggy in progress.

Proud Construction cape owner