Why Would People Train?

Dizzle229

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a really stupid thread....

why play runescape with all lvl 1 skills hmm?

You read it, right? The thread creator does not think everyone should keep their skills at level one. They just want to know why and how people grind for higher levels.

Answered in the first post.

BECAUSE THEY ENJOY IT.

Enjoy it? Why do you enjoy it? What's fun about it?

Most of the time people find ways to keep themselves busy whilst training. But Runescape is supposed to be a game, and a game is supposed to be something that people play to keep themselves busy. So if you have to keep yourself busy while playing it, does it even qualify as a game?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I never found training combat particularly boring.

-[HD]RuneScript- *** [ SXQ_POWER ]: [strength] lvl: 99 | exp: 28,550,019 (219% of 99) | rank: 1,966

I grinded a little bit on the way to 99, but the 15m experience after than is all from slayer/fun stuff/boss monsters.

[hide=]

You read it, right? The thread creator does not think everyone should keep their skills at level one. They just want to know why and how people grind for higher levels.

Answered in the first post.

BECAUSE THEY ENJOY IT.

[/hide]

Most of the time people find ways to keep themselves busy whilst training. But Runescape is supposed to be a game, and a game is supposed to be something that people play to keep themselves busy. So if you have to keep yourself busy while playing it, does it even qualify as a game?

Not really. No. Nowadays, RS is starting to turn into a chore. But people keep leveling for the sake of 'self-accomplishment.' Keeping yourself busy is one thing, but having set yourself a goal (for example, your 1m atk exp. that you set a few posts above) and REACHING it is what's most important. Wouldn't you feel great if you reached level 80 attack? 90 attack? 99 attack?! That's what makes it fun and enjoyable. ;)

I'll test your theory to see how well it works.

My test goal: Achieve 1M XP in Attack.

According to Tip.it's Xp Table, 1m exp. in atk is just before level 74, so essentially you're saying you want to gain 2 more levels in attack? That's pretty much done in about 3-5 hours, depending on where you train (SoS spiders, of course, are my advice, if you're F2P).

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I enjoy training. It's fun to level up and achieve a sense of accomplishment. I also REALLY enjoy PVP - the higher I train, the better I am. I can use tactics and stratagems to mow down armies of other players amidst shouts of 'farcast nubz!!11324W9D!!!@FJALSKFJSESADNERDR!'

It's a good time.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

*Points to sig*

I happen to love Defence and always train it given the chance. It may be completely pointless other than ranks but I can't seem to help myself. Def noob is a compliment to me. ::'

Ahh but to each his own I guess. *heads back to get more Defence XP*

46,367,847 Defence XP at the time of posting.

Rank 280

Not a point of XP from PC, bandits, spiders, or any form of "AFK" XP and proud of it. :D

200000000.png

Mainly you get XP by camping at a specific monster for a few days, but it just gets to be such a grind. I can't even play anymore.

I don't think camping at monsters for xp is a smart idea. There are so many items that you gather through combat (herbs, charms etc) that you'll get a lot of combat xp without going for it anyway. This way you'll end up richer than those who camp at monsters without drops, so you can use better items or speed up the slower skills.

I do it because it's part of my contractual obligation to raise at least one skill level every week, have at least one f2p pure active, and harass people with dissenting opinions about the game, otherwise Andrew Gower beats me with a bamboo stick for violating the terms of my employm...

I've said too much.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

the question is why would people train that just opens up an endless amount of reasons

for lvls

for respect

for fun

for speed

for a higher hit

for a more accurate hit

for more 0s

and if your saying why train past 99

maybe you dont want to be a complete combat person

maybe you want to just be a obby mauler with 1 atk and 1 defense

foukouei.png

Seriously, I have trained Stength for probably over a day worth of time, and it's only level 71. I hen saw on the hiscores a guy with 81 Strength, with over 2M xp! My question is: How can you really do all that training? It's so boring and such a grind. I just need someone to explain to me how anyone can bare it.

Simple. Don't make it a grind. So don't have to glue your eyes to the sreen in single-minded devotion to one task. Some suggestions to make your training less tedious:

- Engage in an other activity (on another window, another computer, or in rl) that doesn't require too much concentration and allows you to keep an eye on your training

- Multi-task. Don't just go out with a single narrow goal. Set up a few secondary or tertiary goals as well. For instance, you can train Slayer, collect charms for Summoning, and collect bones for profit at the same time, accomplishing four goals at the same time. Not only is this more efficient in the long run, but the Slayer xp and charm/bone drops are little marks of achievement that help the time go by faster

- Bring a combat familiar. Messing around with the whistle button and using scrolls will make the combat more entertaining. Even without playing around with those two features, you can monitor your familiar, make him attack a different target, or even compete with it (see who kills their target first, gets highest hit, etc).

- Chat with friends, clan members, or random people training in the vicinity.

Basically, if you are grinding in boredom, you are doing it wrong: you are doing work instead of playing a game.

I think it has to do with the "dangling carrot" effect. I in particular have been chasing 99 mining for ages. I enjoy the training because I know eventually I will hit this goal. I think a better question is why do people make such goals on RS not how they feel while training towards them. You see it is that question that is much harder for me to answer. Somehow mining struck me as a unique 99 to hit and I loved how most cringed when I would talk about attempting it. I'm not going to profit off of it, I'm not racing anyone to achieve it first, its just going to be two little numbers on a computer screen, and I may or may not get a pixelated cape out of it. Despite all these things, it still remains a weirdly fun goal for me and I have yet to truly know what spurs me on. So many questions...so little answers :shock:.

99miningnewsig.gif

~Retired 13-July-2010~

Thanks for the great memories folks :).

Heres something i learned from 5 years on and off playing, about 15 accounts and no skills above 75 on ANY of my accounts.

Don't grind, do what you want, when you want it, if you get bored of str training, why don't you do some castle wars or something, or even take a break from the game.

O.O

I don't know if you've noticed this, but most skills hava a way of being trained without grinding. I rarely if ever play this game without doing something else at the same time. Right now I'm typing this post and a while ago I was doing chemistry calculations. At the same time I've been fishing monks. The only thing that I need to do is listen to the game sounds to hear if I'm still fishing or not. When I'm mining or training hunter I'm watching videos on a different part of my screen. The only things that really requires a large amount of concentration in this game are questing, fighting high level monsters and minigames and pking where you're working with other people. I haven't even tried most of the minigames and I only do a few quests every now and then if I really like the rewards. If you make this game into a grind then it becomes one, but I wouldn't suggest it if you hate grinding.

People get more xp to boost their ego. They are nobody in the outside world, but once they've typed in their Username and Pass they are Gods. They stop at nothing to make themselves feel better. Their puny arms and weak fingers, as they type 'NOOB' and 'WTF' on their keyboard, slap a sense of otherworldness to the surrounding electronic Avatars. They use pixels as a sort of drug; it gets them high, and makes them feel important.

Had that had 47 characters less, I would have siggied it. :lol:

Rao.png

training is boring, but if you listen to music or watch tv at the same time it is pretty easy. :thumbsup:

i agree ::' i normally do some homwork while i train on fishing \' great way to complete your homework while playing on rs =D>

huntintheenemy-1.png

Legendz - 100+ F2p combat !! Join today and get TWO free cookies @@@@@

crowngolduh9.gif - Proud Leader of LEGENDZ

warsword.gif - Proud Warlord of Clan Europe