The crash code - µ

Seraphi

Knife glitch. You used to be able to wield knives in RSC. They gave mediocre stats but somebody found a way to equip like 20 of them at once plus their R2H or something. The hits rivaled what we have today I believe but the difference was you were stuck in combat for three turns and couldn't eat.

At least I think that is what happened. It was something like that.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knife glitch. You used to be able to wield knives in RSC. They gave mediocre stats but somebody found a way to equip like 20 of them at once plus their R2H or something. The hits rivaled what we have today I believe but the difference was you were stuck in combat for three turns and couldn't eat.

Oh! I remember hearing that one too. forgot add it.

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.

The throwing knife glitch was due to the fact that when they came out, the programmer accidentally messed up and made their bonuses stack, so instead of the range bonus being, say, +10 no matter how many knives you had equipped, it would be +20 if you had 2, +1000 if you had 100 etc. People would equip 10,000 bronze throwing knives to get +100,000 range attack bonus, which would make them hit their max every time.

I heard someone say "Juna cave's insta death".

Bedtime stories of death? :o

I actually never did hear of that one.

near tears of guthix and a few other areas, there was a chance of randomly getting hit for all your health and dying. it was only found by chance and then tons of people gathered hoping to witness it.

fishing.gif

The throwing knife glitch was due to the fact that when they came out, the programmer accidentally messed up and made their bonuses stack, so instead of the range bonus being, say, +10 no matter how many knives you had equipped, it would be +20 if you had 2, +1000 if you had 100 etc. People would equip 10,000 bronze throwing knives to get +100,000 range attack bonus, which would make them hit their max every time.

That was the one in RS2. There was a knife glitch in RS1 where each normal knife was unable to be equipped, but had +4 (or +2, I forget) bonus. Then a glitch was discovered where any random item could be equipped, and people would equip an absurd amount of knives, almost as many as inventory spaces, to kill people really fast.

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

i think its safe to post the alt code as it was µ , i personally knew about it as some of my friends abused it and wanted me to join the fun . i actually liked how this code made empty worlds:D, I Personnaly got 4 mil an hour catching d imps :thumbsup:

I remember that. The original knife glitch was before my time though. But I was training range before the throwing knife glitch, then after an update or something I noticed I was hitting higher way often, for like a day. Then I noticed the +65000 range bonus.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Not as big of a fail as spamming.

Anywho, I found the crash code on my own, only to satisfy my curiosity. I went to a deserted area (Burthrope Games Room to be exact) and tried ASCII combos until I got crashed. It was kinda cool when I found it, but after that I logged out till all the mess got sorted out.

In case it wasn't mentioned before, it was the Greek letter Mu, or µ. You can type it by turning num lock on, holding alt, typing 230 or 0181, then releasing alt. There's no harm in mentioning it here because the bug has been entirely dealt with.

Also, to those who argue that the character's disabling is bad because Greek people use it all the time... well, you're wrong. The glitch character is not used by 99% of Greek people, ever. Nor is it likely even present on any keyboard manufactured anywhere. Reason being, RuneScape doesn't support Greek. Only characters in the decimal range 32 to 255 are supported.

Say hi to Belgian keyboards.

(3rd time I posted this)

belgianazerty.jpg

I can't recall how many times I've accidentally pressed µ when pressing enter. Seriously.

Okay, I hate this phrase, but: I know, right! I hit the µ all the time when I'm chatting (fast typing + lots of enters). Glad to not have been online during this latest RS drama.

Wow, that IS the micro sign. See what I mean? You can't tell the damn characters apart. :P

They can just check who has said the symbol (which by the way was µ).

I'm not sure if they can, though. It never actually appears on anybody's chat, that action will log the player off and thus the symbol (and author's name) deleted, so how can it be recorded?

Your message is first sent to the server, and then when the server sends it back to you, you crash. Therefore, since they log all chat, they can find out who used this bug. Furthermore, how in the world do you think you can crash OTHER players without any information getting to the server to cause it?

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

They can just check who has said the symbol (which by the way was µ).

I'm not sure if they can, though. It never actually appears on anybody's chat, that action will log the player off and thus the symbol (and author's name) deleted, so how can it be recorded?

Your message is first sent to the server, and then when the server sends it back to you, you crash. Therefore, since they log all chat, they can find out who used this bug. Furthermore, how in the world do you think you can crash OTHER players without any information getting to the server to cause it?

I didn't know they logged all chat. I thought that the only chat that was recorded was that which was seen by players, and only stored temporarily for the purpose of abuse reports within a few minutes of the chat. Otherwise, it would be a lot of almost useless information to store, considering the tens of thousands of people playing at any moment, the majority chatting away, and the game running 24/7.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Well someone got banned today... I went from overall rank 303 to 302 without gaining a level. So someone high levelled got kicked off.

Nice, subtle way to brag about your high rank. Maybe you just passed someone in xp.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

I do not need to brag. I don't think the length of my fallus is determined by my rank in an online game. But it's ok if you feel otherwise.

Anyways, no, didn't pass someone. Someone definately got banned. Though during the penguin bannings, I got more ranks without getting levels.

Well someone got banned today... I went from overall rank 303 to 302 without gaining a level. So someone high levelled got kicked off.

Nice, subtle way to brag about your high rank. Maybe you just passed someone in xp.

Rank 303 is 26m exp behind, so I highly doubt he just passed him, a high ranked player got banned for abusing the glitch or for another reason entirely.

Rank 303 is 26m exp behind, so I highly doubt he just passed him, a high ranked player got banned for abusing the glitch or for another reason entirely.

Well it's quite a coincidence. Stuff like this rarely happens. Happened only one time before this ocassion, and that was during the penguin bannings.

I'll just laugh at the fact that someone who put a lot of work in this game got kicked off for abusing a bug. Serves him/her right.

Got some sort of proof that someone that was higher ranked than you was banned for abusing the bug? There are a few things you can do to get banned, coincidental it may be but doesn't mean it was for that reason.

And, no need for others to post what the character was. Everyone knows it.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

i cant blieve the "code" was 'µ'

thats so simple...

Alt + 0181

ive been typing that character in places of 'u' for ages...

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

lol, a buddy of mine used that. He's afraid to try to log back in now. XD Luckily I wasn't on, and if I was when it was found, either I was in the right world at the wrong time, or it never affected me. (I was on daily, I was also in Mortyana around no-one, so... I was fine I suppose.)

Slayer drops: Black Mask: 1 (Ik I fail)

18.jpg